[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is This A Good Idea? (University)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

File: fuck.png (49KB, 1011x732px) Image search: [Google]
fuck.png
49KB, 1011x732px
I'll make it quick.
>accepted to Penn State (the real campus) back in August after being NEET for 2.5 years
>defer to spring semester because it was extremely short notice
>spring semester starts next month
>receive room and bill tonight
>$14,072 for only the spring semester
>they didn't accept my sweet ~$2,500 in financial aid because I applied too late
>didn't get single room and roommate is asian normalfag, sent an email explaining how i'm very uncomfortable with this
>planned on majoring in electrical engineering, realizing that my math skills at least right now are fairly lame to what they used to be and have been placed in their College Algebra class and will have to take two semesters of maths before I can actually take Calculus 1

on the bright side
>grandma basically agreed to pay for the entire thing for at least a couple of years ONLY if it's this exact university and I go for this spring as she will otherwise give it to the next grandson on the list that wants the freedom of debt
>have been a NEET for 2.5 years so far, was accepted by sort of crafty means that I won't go into(i am a white male and have no money), have GED, basically should not have actually been accepted and sort of lucky

Would I be an idiot to not just do it? I've already spent the ENTIRETY of 2015 researching universities, telling my mother that I'm going to university any month now(planned on attending a community college on a quarter system out of state just so that I could move out, planned on using loans but was not eligible and plan fell apart). This is really my chance if I ever had one, but am I being delusional on whether or not this is actually a good idea? I would hopefully be given some financial aid next semester to bring down the cost to maybe ~$9,000 a semester. I really have no idea.
>>
If you can get high grades\SAT scores then you might be able to get enough scholarships that you will be paid to go, so that would almost definitely be worth it.
>>
I'd kill to go to Penn
>>
>>985498
Could I ask why?

>>985497
I've thought about that, but my grandmother wants to see exactly what the cost is from the university, and sure I could photoshop in 15K instead of 14K and pocket a nice $1,000 but I'm already glad she agreed to pay at all and she's not too happy about the price as it is and wants me to get some financial aid ASAP.
>>
your grandmother sounds like a bitch

You'd come out better going to a community college for two years and then transferring back
>>
>>985518
She only has a certain amount of cash and I'd rather have it than let my dumb cousin get it.
>>
>>985525
Sounds complicated senpai. Maybe try to convince her that going to a technical college for the first two years is better for your GPA and cheaper on her so that way you get the most value for the lowest cost.
>>
>>985527
That's all out of the window at this point. We already talked about the whole thing months ago and she's now calling, asking what the exact cost will be so it's really the end of the road.
>>
>>985492
i got to penn state, dude maybe we can house together cause I live with a fucking actual faggot who wants to kill himself and I hate him, i am in the engineering dorms freshmen
>>
>>985532
That's McKee Hall I guess? I was also placed at West in Hamilton but it's on a break access contract because of a mess-up and I'm emailing them to try and revert that to a regular housing contract because I really have almost zero options for other break access dorms.
>>
>>985529
Well then all I can say is go for it if you want a college degree and don't waste time and money if you don't. I wouldn't lie to her about the cost unless you're positive you can get away with it.
>>
>>985492
>didn't get single room

this is the bit I never understood from watching US TV shows/movies

why do you seem to have so many dhared rooms at university? I mean usually the rooms seem large enough that they could be split in two and still be bigger than the average room at a UK university so it doesn't seem to be a space issue - I don't understand the point, sure you make friends with people on the same corridor - you don't need to share a bedroom with a random stranger... must be a lot of hassle when bringing girls back etc... or when one person needs to study - what possible benefit could there be from it?
>>
>>985573
also what happens if you hate the person you're sharing a room with? I mean I know from when I was at university that the halls of residence staff look at accommodation applications, photos etc.. and try to stick people who they think will get along on the same corridor... they actually did it quite well at my uni... some massive geeks all got stuck together, anyone who ticked smoker got stuck on the same corridor etc.. but you'd still get one or two people you didn't get on with, easy enough you just ignore them - not so easy if you're sharing a bedroom with them
>>
>>985576
I suppose you can just leave and move into another room of someone you found and like.
>>
>>985573
>>985576
It's a college tradition, I guess

Stayed at home during college master race

>>985492
>I've already spent the ENTIRETY of 2015 researching universities
I'm pretty sure working hard and not being an idiot matters a lot more than which college you go to, especially for engineers, which have to meet ABET requirements at any decent college. I went to a shitty state school and make 80k starting in commercial aerospace.
>>
>>985506
scamming your grandmother, who is paying your college, out of cash
What kind of scum are you.

File an appeal for the finaid
and take the loan you moron. Tap that grandma money for tuition and use the 4.25% loans for house, that you rent/sublet out for profit
>>
>>985492
>housing charge
>housing meal charge

Why don't you live at home? What the fuck?
>>
>>985492
just get your degree at a local uni close to home and live out of your parent's house.
>>
>>985492
Seriously though, what happened to college tuition? Everyone I know who has graduated recently is $100K in debt. I graduated not that long ago with zero debt because tuition was like $2K per semester at "expensive" schools, so all you had to do was work a part time job to pay it.
>>
>>985758
Sure thing, grandpa boomer
>>
>>985758
>Seriously though, what happened to college tuition? Everyone I know who has graduated recently is $100K in debt.

Average student loan debt in the US is ~$30k.

These people mostly majored in dumb ass shit and didn't work a job during school/summer.
>>
I already told you over on /sci/. It is the #49 party school. And Grandma is paying. Go to college already. Even if you have to pay a little bit yourself, its not like college is totally worthless. Plus staying in the freshmen dorms will probably get you laid.

Get over your fear of asian men seeing your penis or whatever the hell it is. Free college anywhere is worth it.
>>
>>985573
"The rooms seem large" yeah sure on tv shows maybe.

My dorm room was a shared room.

It was 9ft x 11ft. And was a shared room.

It was wide enough for each of us to have a twin bed. With a small desk at tge end and a small closet behind that.
>>
>>985576
Usually there is a process if you find a firend you want to live with.

Or you tough it out. We have all head bad roommates, and if you havent, it was you.
>>
>>985492
you sound like a real mess

make sure you show up for class and never miss exams
>>
>>985894
Asians are just gross.
>>
hijacking your thread op
convince me to not get a Harvard degree in finance
https://www.extension.harvard.edu/academics/graduate-degrees/finance-degree

only 29k for the whole thing and ill most likely get financial aid. only problem is going to the east coast to take those 4 required classes on campus
>>
>>985536
yeah it is. West is really nice, close to everything. Just a little quiet is all but thats a matter of opinion.
>>
>>985576
This. I fucking hate my roomate litterally despise him. I wouldn't care if he just stuck to his own and did stuff that was naturally annoying to me, obviously theres going to be some normal friction when living with someone else. But he goes out of his way to bother me, he has no friends and just follows me around everywhere. I tried to help him but he rather just complain and not do anything and bother me 24/7. I cant fucking take it
>>
>>985492
>$14,072
Fuck that

Go to a programmer boot camp and get a job after.. or save your money teach yourself and get a job..

Or Fuck.. Go live in Poland or the Ukraine or a year on that money. Fuck 10/10s. Learn a new language. Get experience and start a business.. Or shit... Live in Kiev and get your degree there... should be less and the same amount of money... Fuck that for one semester.. suck my dick you fucking College..
>>
>>986685
airbnb. or couch surf.
>>
>>985506
>and sure I could photoshop in 15K instead of 14K and pocket a nice $1,000 but I'm already glad she agreed to pay at all and she's not too happy about the price as it is and wants me to get some financial aid ASAP.

What kind of sleazy bullshit is this?

You wanna scam your abuelita for one thousand bucks? holy shit. I hope you do scam her, and in the future when you make 60k a year and 1k feels like peanuts to you, you will realize you scammed your grannie for pocket change.

Fucking disgusting.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.