[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /biz/ I've been thinking about opening up a Board

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 2015625-snakes-lattes-collge.jpg (161KB, 590x406px) Image search: [Google]
2015625-snakes-lattes-collge.jpg
161KB, 590x406px
Hello /biz/

I've been thinking about opening up a Board Game Cafe/Lounge in my city for a while and just wanted some input on what you think. I like in a city of just under 300K people and around 600K in the metro area.

I have a restaurant management background but i'm worried about getting in too deep as I am only 23 and still have copious amounts of college loan debt. That being said, this kind of estabilishment that I am interested in opening hits a niche that isn't found in my city yet, and the closest similar style of business is about 1.5 hours away. I believe it could be a huge advantage being a one-of-a-kind place to go, but my family thinks it's a mistake. However, being a business owner is something I have been passionate about since middle school and has always been a lifelong dream of mine, but I don't want that to make me biased and blind to a horrible idea if this is one.

I've seen these style of business in larger cities, but I still think I could make it work.
>>
>>984694
it could be a smash hit if you serve irish coffee
>>
>>984694

it's a mistake. people are gonna go there, consume nothing, take up space, cost you rent, and bring you nothing.

what's your actual business model?

you can do this type of shit once you've "made it" as a hobby maybe.
>>
>>984694
The game cafes that opened in ym city made massive profits. I know because they were some of my friends. Do it, but in a few years. Consolidate some debt first before investing
>>
>>984697

So you don't believe something like a convenience fee (i.e. like a pay to play type deal) would benefit the idea if we kept some of the prices down for the food for example?
>>
>>984701
Kepp food prices up and have a service fee, you have maintainance to pay, don't devalue your product
>>
>>984697

It could go the other way. A game like risk takes 2-3 hours and all the players would be captive buying shit.
>>
>>984703
Yeah, I can definitely get down with that plan. When you bring up the idea of waiting a few years to consolidate my debts, I can definitely understand the reasoning behind it, it just worries me because my girlfriend and I have plans for a family once she is finished with college and I think I'd rather take the chance now and not in a couple years while either trying to have or raise a child.

>>984707
I think there are large margins to be made from just individual drink orders as you stated. I know when I'm playing a board game I better have some alcohol by my side.
>>
>>984711
Do the contemporary thing and delay starting a family. You can have kids at anytime, but planning and starting a business is a timing sensative and high presure decision
>>
>>984694
are you making a business with the intention of profit? or are you making your lair of neetdom where you can laze around pretending you're working?
because most hobby stores are the 2nd and as predictably, most of them failed.
>>
>>984721

Work always comes first and foremost. Running a business with the intention on making profit is the point of being a business owner, is it not? It just so happens that, with my background, food, alcohol, coffee, and board games are my specialty.

I have seen some of the hobby stores in my hometown come and go, mostly due to the fact that there are about three with a loyal customer base, but those places cater to the typical basement dweller types. My hope is to entertain those who enjoy being a little more social when it comes to their games.
>>
>>984711
Don't get keked by your girlfriend. Let her work when she's done with college, not give birth to a child. Do that when she has a stable income too.
>>
>>984757
This so much
>>
File: cheetah in box.jpg (97KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
cheetah in box.jpg
97KB, 900x675px
>>984697

He's kinda right.

There's a board game bar in Chattanooga Tennessee, where I used to live. It's working okay though.

You gotta sell that alcohol though, or you wont make shit. Gotta have like a 3 drink minimum or some shit.

I would visit that bar in TN, to get some ideas before you sink a bunch of money on this idea.

It could work in a college town I think.

Believe in yourself! Try to make your dreams a reality!
>>
>>984694
why would they come to your place instead of just playing at someones home. where the food is cheaper and arguably better.

I've seen 7 of these up and down in my city of $1M in a decade. Not a one has lasted more than 5 years.

One bar runs a hardcore fighting game tournament every Wednesday. everyone brings their own consoles.

Focus on being a good business then maybe run a theme night for the cheetos and mountain dew crowd.
Also many of these folks games are being digitized.
>>
>Board game lounge/cafe

Make sure you approach the business as a lounge/cafe first. If your repeat customers can create a better environment at home to play board games, for cheaper, they will. If another lounge/cafe can provide a better environment for board games, why would they go to yours?
>>
>>984823
Basically this.
>>
This can do well if you have the market to support it. In Montreal we have 2-3 of these types of places and they are restricted to 18+ (I think Saturday and Sunday early day is family time), past 5, it becomes 18+.

From the one time I went there it was packed. If you weren't ordering food or drinking (which almost everyone was), for each member on your table you were charged an 8$ fee.

Cocktails were about 11$, a pitcher ~24$, and a pint of beer was about 7,50$.

Seating capacity was about 100 people (upstairs and main floor)
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.