[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I finally did it /biz/. I decided to teach myself a new usable

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1427775133025.jpg (152KB, 1006x921px) Image search: [Google]
1427775133025.jpg
152KB, 1006x921px
I finally did it /biz/. I decided to teach myself a new usable skill and learn how to code. feels good to work hard at attaining a new skill

Working through code academy right now, what are some other sources? I decided to start with Ruby (language?) but i'm not sure what language to go from there.

is it really that in demand, or is it just a meme? either way i'm gonna teach myself just to put it on a resume and future cover letters.
>>
>>983939
>Ruby
>useful

learn ruby on rails(even that is a fucking meme) or don't bother l m f a o
>>
>>983942
are they not the same?
sorry, literally just started using code academy earlier this morning
>>
>>983946
codecadamy is a meme. get a real book and start reading ma boy
>>
>>983949
any recommendations?
>>
>>983950
That one book about C by Dennis Ritchie and that other guy who's surname starts with K
>>
File: borat.jpg (10KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
borat.jpg
10KB, 259x194px
>>983952
well that's a start, thanks!
>>
>>983939
>Ruby
Learn something like C, C++, or C#.
>>
>did some codecademy exercises
>thinks he learned how to "code"

OP no
>>
>>983939
>code academy
>ruby
you fell for some maymays lad
>>
>>984110
>Learn something like C, C++, or C#.

Learn C# best of all tbqh.
>>
>>983950
Teamtreehouse.com got me from customer service rep to full time web developer in ten months. Look into their Ruby track. There's a lot to learn though before you really can do anything worth charging for.

Ruby is part of the backend part of web and app development. I went for front end since it seemed easier to get into, but they're both halves of the same thing.

Learn, in this order, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, and Sass to get down the basics, then try building a site or two. This will help you understand the front end of the web. Then, you can dig into ruby.

After you've made 5-6 sample sites, Put together a portfolio site and start applying. This industry really only cares about your skills so if you show them you know what you're doing they will hire you.
>>
you load of bullshitters
>>
Introduction to Algorithms, by Corman, Leiserson, Rivest and Stein. It will teach you the fundamental data structures, and a few more advanced ones.
Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs, by Abelson and Sussman. If nothing else, it will teach you recursion.
I recommend Free Pascal (the compiler and language). Its strict, static typing schema and well defined program structure make it easy to learn and understand, and also teach you some good practices. After Pascal, you can go and learn whatever you like. Preferably a language with actual pointers.

Also, you're gonna need to know your way around command line interfaces. I have no advice about that, beyond the usual "read the documentation, read other people's code, actually try to use it". cmd.exe is good enough to start with, but eventually you'll have to use a Linux-type command line.

None of this is exactly "in demand", but these are skills that you need to have in order to even have a chance of becoming an accomplished programmer who programs programs. And they are generally useful skills to have if you use computers a lot.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.