[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, Kickstarter is pretty much dead... Yeah, there are still

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1

File: ks.jpg (91KB, 1180x660px) Image search: [Google]
ks.jpg
91KB, 1180x660px
So, Kickstarter is pretty much dead... Yeah, there are still a lot of projects there, but the idea of Kickstarter is dead. They've dropped the approval process and are just allowing anything to be posted, so it's kind of memed out at this point. Sony does a Kickstarter for Shenmue 3 and raises six million dollars and that's pretty much the last nail in the coffin for the chances of some little independent project that's actually interesting and original raising $50K.

Coincidentally, here is another thing that is dead -- the music industry. Now, here is how to fix both crowdfunding and the music business. Start a new crowdfunding platform with the following rules:

1) Only digital media projects allowed, i.e. music, games, movies.
2) The project must be delivered digitally and DRM-FREE.
3) You may NOT charge for the product after the funding campaign.

So some big-name band wants to release a new album. Currently, they end up turning out a pile of shit because:
1) They know that their record label is going to take 99% of the revenue
2) They know that 99% of their audience is just going to pirate it
3) They know that the only chance of making any money whatsoever is to sell out completely and try to be Justin Bieber so that they can sell ten billion copies to 14yo girls

This new crowdfunding system solves all of that. No record label is involved. Piracy is no longer an issue. If you think your new album is so awesome that you should make $10,000,000, then set that as your funding goal. Your fans will decide whether or not you're right by voting with their dollars. If you're wrong, then stop being an arrogant asshole and set a more reasonable goal. If you're right, then congratulations, you get ten million dollars and the world gets your new album and no one has to get sued by the RIAA and Richard Branson doesn't get to use your fans' hard-earned money to buy a new island.
>>
Youve got some good ideas here. Now whats stopping you?
>>
>>983264
Good question, I kind of thought the same thing as I was typing it. I guess the fact that I'm slaving away on a game project. I was planning to take it to Kickstarter in a couple of months, but everything I see tells me that KS is a lost cause.
>>
So I am going to go ahead and steal this idea. Thanks Anon!
>>
Your platform gives little to no incentive to provide anything of quality.
>>
>>983290
Yeah, just like Kickstarter, and every other crowdfunding platform. But it's far better than the current system.
>>
>>983295

How is it better if it has the same major flaw?
>>
>>983283
Well hurry the fuck up. I want to launch this game by March. Not only do you need to have the system up and running, but you need to have drawn significant attention to the site by then so that I actually get some backers.

Call it the "Kickstarter Killer" or something like that so that the press jumps all over it.
>>
>>983299
That's not Kickstarter's major flaw. No one seems to care whether or not crowdfunded projects offer anything of value. Did you not notice that someone raised $55K by saying he wanted to make potato salad?

Read the OP.
>>
>>983304

A lot of things in the OP don't make any real sense to me, how would you raise 10 million dollars for an artistic product that doesn't exist based on the merit of that product? Also Kickstarter is primarily for funding development, it sounds like you need to fund advertisement.
>>
>>983307
Kickstarter WAS useful for funding development, five years ago. Now, it's so flooded with projects (many by already successful major studios) that it's only useful for funding something that is 90% done. Even new games with working, playable demos get completely looked over. If you don't believe that, then go and post your idea for a new game or movie with nothing but a few concept sketches and see how far you get.

However, shit like "Yooka Laylee" (google it) raises two million dollars because it comes from an established studio, even though it's an entirely unoriginal platformer with nothing unique to offer.

>how would you raise 10 million dollars for an artistic product that doesn't exist based on the merit of that product?

Look, I'm a huge fan of Slash, for example. If he announced that his next album was going to be funded through this system, I would be all over it, and so would a large number of his fans. He'd post some short clips of the work in progress. He could offer a T-shirt if you donate more than fifty bucks or whatever. He could offer tickets to the concert at a higher level, and so on. This is just how crowdfunding works, and we've proven that it does work.

My personal opinion, whatever that's worth, is that Kickstarter made so much money that they just stopped caring. They removed the approval process. Anyone can post anything now. There is nothing "indie" about it any more and it is not a useful platform for funding "indie" projects. It has become just a way to offer a pre-sale of your music or game or whatever. If that's what they want to do, then more power to them. There's room for a better system, though.
>>
>>983341

That's not an example of raising funds via artistic merit.
>>
>>983385
just fuck off
>>
>>983390

No need to get salty. I asked how your proposed system would work and you gave me an unrelated example, am I to assume it wouldn't work?
>>
>>983398
Yes this crowdfunding system would not work for you. That's ok. Neither would Kickstarter, which made a billion dollars from people who do get it.
>>
>3) You may NOT charge for the product after the funding campaign.

Do you realize this is a huge turn off? More like a deal breaker, for any sane content creator.

Why would I create something that I can't even make money on after the crowdfunding campaign is over? I'm sure a very large portion of the revenue from digital content creators comes AFTER the initial debut.

>This new crowdfunding system solves all of that.
>Piracy is no longer an issue.
Yes, it will be. It only takes one person to upload it, sell it elsewhere for nothing, or get hacked for it to be pirateable.
>>
>>983257
>They've dropped the approval process and are just allowing anything to be posted,

Really huh.

This sounds like a good time to start a "fundraiser" for a project that doesn't actually exist.
>>
>>983257
Thr music industries not dead dumbass. The bullshit part of it is.

You tour now to earn money and maybe because of touring sell albums.

You used to tour but the album sales made you money.

Guess what? Everyone else has to work for a living so why should performers get to bitchout? The grateful dead toyred nonstop for 30 years. Why? Because they loved playing music.

Musicians should be in love with performing music not the insane monetary awards
>>
>>983466
No, that's exactly the point. You get paid for your product before it's released. So everything is released DRM-free. No piracy. Yes, the downside is that you only get paid once and not more over time as the product continues to sell.

How artists would feel about that is debatable. I'm an artist, so to speak, who is making a video game. Truth is, the days of making an album and getting rich are over. Reasons are listed in the OP. At least this way would allow content creators to make decent money for their product and cut out all the overhead of publishers, labels, etc.

I am a content creator and I'm ready to sign up as soon as >>983283 gets his shit together, so there's one vote in favor of the idea.

>>983477
Yeah, no kidding. No one will ever see your campaign though because there are a thousand others with the same idea.
>>
>>983490
>Yeah, no kidding. No one will ever see your campaign though because there are a thousand others with the same idea.

I'd like to remind everyone in this thread about how when there was a KickStarter by 2 teenage boys who promised to make a "revolutionary new web browser dedicated to security", they had no real knowledge of programming, basically modified a base a little bit and described their future web browser using terminology that DOESN'T EVEN EXIST. They literally made up words regarding computer security that does not exist.

Then they raised over $50k, took down all their accounts, their websites and left and no news as to the development was ever heard again.
>>
>>983486
Sure, they should be, and I see that as a great reason why this kind of funding would work. Go on tour, build a big fan base, then tell them you're working on a new album and, if they want to hear it, then they need to go to your website and donate $5.

The music industry is completely dead, btw. If you don't know that then you haven't listened to the radio in a long time.
>>
>>983497
That's nothing. There was a guy who raised two million dollars for a game idea... It's killing me that I can't remember his name... But he essentially just took the money and ran and openly said "No I am not going to make the game."
>>
>>983513
>There was a guy who raised two million dollars for a game idea...

Fuck man.

Why isn't /biz/ organizing something like this?

How does this shit even work too, I didn't read entire thread so idk if it was mentioned but how do they pay you? Is there a non-meme payment method and do you have to prove you're working on it?

Because if these random fucking teenagers could make up shit that doesn't presently exist and not even make it and get $50k i am sure /biz/ can come up with better things.
>>
>>983519
Well, since those few scandalous projects, the FTC actually said that they're going to start going after anyone who raises money fraudulently. And Kickstarter added a bunch of language about "accountability." So it's probably too late for a large-scale scam. That's a good thing because crowdfunding really should be change for the better.
>>
>>983531
Even a small one is ok.

How do you get money from kickstarter?

Is it wired or paypal or whatt? Hopefully something non-reversible such as a meme payment provider.
>>
>>983544
It's all just credit card based.
>>
>>983559
yes but how do they give you the shekels? Mail out a check?
>>
>>983564
You have to set up a bank account when you create the project. Preferably a business bank account and not a personal checking.
>>
Raising money for a project with no intention to implement the project is fraud.

Kickstarter doesn't have to have legal language to describe it.

Raising money for a project and providing a subprime result is totally legal though.
>>
>>984851
What about if I start a Kickstarter for a product and promise said product in exchange for crowdfunding but then due to lack of capital can't fulfill on it. Would that still be considered fraud?
Example:
>I am creating a new type of cookie
>will send 3 cookies to whoever invests $5 bucks
>don't get enough capital to make cookies in bulk
>only send out 100 cookies
> keep the rest of the money as "business expenses"
>>
>>984851
>Implying memeaud is bad
>>
so you want to replace kickstarter, with kickstarter?

What stops the original kickstarter of tweaking their platform to inclode funding of projects and not products?

I've already seen plenty of indy small time musicians fund the production costs of their work.

I think you are confused with the function of kickstarter, you need to market yourself, that's why established studios do so good, they know how to sell.

Your product is never going to sell itself unless its revolutionary, so maybe you can create a side project that promotes the product you are creating. Or maybe scrap it altogether, and start working on a more sellable product.

Seeing from your posts your startup or whatever it is needs someone better versed with marketing, its very rare that authors know how to promote their work because they are so attached to it.
>>
Your idea of an indie Kickstarter is fine and all, but what incentivizes content creators to use your site?

You're saying that Kickstarter is bad because most of the traffic on the site is going to large studio projects, but if your site has no traffic then why would anyone use it over Kickstarter/IGG? Any free traffic is better than none. Kickstarter is just evolving like YouTube did, from a smaller site with random creators, to businesses taking advantage of it and adding heavy competition (Like Vice, Buzzfeed, News Channels, etc)
>>
indiegogo.com is a different website with the same thing. I don't know if its dead from the same thing though
>>
>>983531
It doesn't need to be scammy. You just promise something, say you need the money to hire an engineer to develop it, and then afterwards say you hired an engineer who told you it's impossible.
>>
>>983499
>Listening to the radio
>The music industry can be represented by what gets played on the radio
wowwow
>>
>>983429

It's dumb.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.