[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /biz/ I'm a college student but my grandfather owns a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: ram-computer-mount_BWS0941.jpg (246KB, 1200x930px) Image search: [Google]
ram-computer-mount_BWS0941.jpg
246KB, 1200x930px
Hi /biz/
I'm a college student but my grandfather owns a trucking business that rakes in half a million gross and he gets paid around 200k.

Should I study trucking or something like web development? I have experience in neither.
>>
>>979510
web development is a huge fucking waste of time.

you will literally be competing in an oversaturated field with a low barrier to entry with one or more of the following: 3rd world cheap labor that will undercut your price by atleast 60-80%, college graduates with infinitely more social skills and business acumen (and or simply women who studied marketing and advertising and will get the business owner hot) than you who will also undercut your price, actual professional web development firms that have established reputations who will charge 2x more than the average for a shittier job than the 3rd world country developers will do.

change your major to either mathematics or physics if you don't want to be a loser.
>>
The trucking industry is on the cusp of disruptive change due to automation, getting in to it now would be quite risky
>>
>>979510
>study trucking

lmao
>>
File: chloe.jpg (74KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
chloe.jpg
74KB, 960x960px
>>979517
well, you can say the same about pretty much any profession.

maybe not programming, which i btw would recommend to anybody who dont know what to do. it's one of those skills that have guaranteed demand in future, a growing demand.
>>
>>979525

who is that girl? chloe what
>>
>>979510
Go for an occupation that will help you bring automation to the business.
>>
>>979510
Learn mobile development. Too much competition for web development.
>>
>>979517

This is a meme OP. Autonomous technology is not automation. People who think truckers will lose jobs because of autonomous driving coming to highways are the same retards that think pilots will lose their jobs when auto-pilot was invented. Also the costs of these new trucks, it will take decades after they come out before they are implemented by a majority of the trucking companies out there, considering most truckers are self-employed owner operators.
>>
Forget about automation, in many ways the trucking industry is stuck in the 1980s when it comes to organizing loads and shipments.

Develop an app/program that allows business owners to get truck drivers, kind of like Uber but for commercial trucking.
>>
I worked in the oilfield for a bit and was sent to get my CDL for free. I'm also a licensed crane op which makes 2-3x more money than a truck driver (not a privately owned trucker like your g'pa) and let me tell you: if you have even the slightest bit of intellectual pride aka you want to be taken serious and use your mind and feel like you are contributing to something greater you will NOT pursue this. I never felt more meaningless, but that was my point of view. This isn't to take away from people that do this for a living and enjoy it. I just wasn't one of them. I still have my licenses but will probably never use the CDL aside from crane operating in the future ever again.
>>
>>979515
You high? Math is garbage with no masters and so is physics. Do you actually have a Bsc? Just do whatever in stem that motivates you and what you're good at due to motivation lol and you'll have an easier time.
>>
>>980181

This is actually a good idea (assuming someone doesn't already have something like this in place).
>>
there already exists successful "uber for trucks" (trucker path)
>>
>>980203
They do it is called a freight brokering service, however there are massive problems with trying an uber like service.

The logistics industry is heavily regulated and any attempt to disrupt it in the name of "low cost app" is going to be dealt with swiftly and painfully.
>>
>>979517
Maybe 10 to 20 years down the line it will be not worth it to enter into trucking, right now they pay well and you can be guaranteed a job pretty much anywhere.

The big deal about automation is going to be intermodal loading. It hasn't taken off to this point because the market hasn't corrected in the right direction yet, but the future is in no-touch freight from the factory to distribution system. A container from China reaching rail and then off loaded for half the cost of today's truckload rates.
>>
>>979510
Pick a field you're interested in.

Open a business, expand effectively, work hard, spend little on yourself.

Spending little is where most people fuck up.

They don't understand how to maintain cash flow and then run into money trouble.

This is the best way if you don't want to wear out your kneepads.
>>
>>980267
India hard at work.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.