[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just turned 23 today. Should finish my undergrad in English (literature)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: Screenshot_2015-11-29-20-49-46.png (2MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-29-20-49-46.png
2MB, 1440x2560px
Just turned 23 today. Should finish my undergrad in English (literature) in about a year. Was gonna go for teaching to live a comfy lifestyle but fuck that. My dad has a successful nightclub. Should I go for a MBA to eventually take over the business?
>>
>>979138
Why did you choose that shit in the first place?

Also how will you pay for the MBA? It's like $100k.
>>
>>979141
Forget why I chose it's pointless to discuss that. I live in NYC, my dad will pay for it he has money were relatively wealthy I got a 2014 e350 for my bday last year. I'm asking if it's worth it though or if I should just spend more time working there which I am doing now.
>>
>>979138
You think you need an MBA to take over a nightclub?
You're already doomed to fail.
>>
>>979141
>Forget why I chose it's pointless to discuss that

Let me guess, you wanted something "easy" and your daddy was going to pay for it entirely, right?

My hypothesis that entitled children tend to pick easy/shit majors is getting proven true every time i speak to one of you.
>>
>>979138
If you have an option to take over the nightclub without getting an MBA, then fuck getting an MBA. the degree is to get you an initial job, that's it. But the knowledge can be learned on your own. Buy a collection of books on different aspects of business and start from there.

The only classes that I would recommend dabbling in is accounting. It's tedious and boring, which makes it quite difficult to continue through your own will power.
>>
>>979161
OK, thank you for being helpful. As I said earlier I work there now and I'll eventually become a manager there. So I will look into accounting as well as promoting.
>>
>>979157
Well yeah no shit that's a true hypothesis- parents work hard so their kids don't have to you fucking dumbass.
>>
>>979177
>parents work hard so their kids don't have to you fucking dumbass

No I meant that they just leech and don't do anything on their own.

You just get everything handed to you in life and then go study some meme shit like English literature or something. You've never learned the meaning of hard work because you never had to work hard.
>>
You'd be better off dropping out of college completely and going to work there right now, so you can get experience.

An MBA is a good goy degree that businesses make wage slaves get, so they can pay them slightly more and double their responsibilities.

Tell your dad to take all of that tuition money and let you reinvest it into the business and that you're serious about running it.
>>
>>979253
That's what I wanted to know, if an MBA is useful or not. Any recommended reading on how to run a club/restaurant and how I should go about promoting?
>>
>>979138

Hey! I'm in a similar boat.

23, almost done with university (probably around summer), considering doing an MBA, MGM, EMBA, or EMGM, i dunno which is best for me. Wanna do it together?

I don't really *need* it but I think the skills and connections could pay off in the long term.
>>
>>979161
i'd agree with this

MBA doesn't really tech you a lot of useful skills but it is a very fun experience and can be a necessary door opener into some positions

since you wouldn't need it as that, don't waste your time

what you should do is:
1) finish your degree - this is a matter of prevention, you will have zero credibility if you stop now and your career as pimp won't work out

2) after getting your degree, gather experience - from both the nightclub business in general as well as the specific location of your father

ask him what you need to know, show interest in the history, why he made the decisions that made his business drive, learn about the cost structure, revenue streams etc

then you should probably go out and work in some middle-management position in a club different from your dads
this will give you valuable insights that your father can't teach you and just in general will help you a lot (your dad prob knows some people etc, so you should be able to get into that)

>>979312
ask your dad, seriously he will be more than happy to help you out

show him you're serious about this and don't take it for granted
>>
>>979317
anything but MBA is scam bs

and getting into an MBA program (despite it being a monetary issue) is pretty hard without work experience

most people join MBAs after working for 2-5 years after undergrad/grad
>>
>>979138

> an english degree
a waste of time

> an MBA
also a waste of time, except that with an MBA people at least respect the piece of paper.

6 months of sales and management experience will teach you a lot more than a 2 year MBA program.
>>
>>979325
>and getting into an MBA program (despite it being a monetary issue) is pretty hard without work experience

I've run two startups and am a self made millionaire, so unless it actually costs a million bucks to study I think I can afford it. do you think I'll get in with these qualifications?
>>
>>979360
People like you will generally be preferred based on Business and track record. With a 3.5GPA and 720 GMAT, you can get into almost any school. Apply to all the top ones tho.
>>
>>979360
>With a 3.5GPA

lolno

or maybe, I'd have to check. probably not.
>>
>>979360

>self made millionaire

Then why would you want an MBA? MBAs are not for entrepreneurs, their for aspiring middle managers and mindless kool-aid drinking robots

My GI Bill pays for it so why the hell not...
>>
>>979378
Columbia median gpa is 3.5
>>
>>979138
what is the point of an MBA if you're going to be self employed - you can get the same knowledge from online courses/books quite
easily

the advantage of a top MBA above simply having a bit of paper to state you've got that knowledge are things like the brand name, network and careers service - they also act as a filter for employers - top companies know it was competitive to get onto a top MBA and so are keen to recruit candidates from them as they've already been selected as the best from a competitive pool

given that you don't want a job, don't need to prove your knowledge to anyone, don't need any career service etc.. it seems like it would be a complete waste of time if your intention is to be self employed - the one thing the MBA doesn't give you is valuable knowledge - it is just a bunch of business courses... you can learn that stuff anywhere
>>
>>979383

I don't want to bootstrap startups for the rest of my life, and I think I could learn things before trying them out on my own and making a lot of people miserable by accident.

experience taught me to know more beforehand is always better than to know more afterwards.

>>979384

I'm getting a STEM degree from an actual university with actual meaningful grades.
>>
>>979219
Well obviously, its why so many art hipsters come from wealthy families - because they know they don't need to earn a living, they can just do what they think is fun (and not challenging)
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.