[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best CS/IT/etc type of job to go for assuming you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: 1443693317941.jpg (25KB, 278x360px) Image search: [Google]
1443693317941.jpg
25KB, 278x360px
What is the best CS/IT/etc type of job to go for assuming you have no real preference. What should you take if you go to uni?
>>
File: 2015-11-17.png (352KB, 450x397px) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-17.png
352KB, 450x397px
>>978819
software developer - take computer science
>>
>>978825
>Majoring in cs and becoming a software developer if you're not into it

That's gotta be the most boring and difficult thing ever. You'll literally not pass first year compsci
>>
>>978858
>That's gotta be the most boring and difficult thing ever. You'll literally not pass first year compsci
Can confirm. 1st year CS dropout here. Discovered I only like the idea of programming.
>>
>>978902
>Discovered I only like the idea of programming.

Let me guess. You're a videogaymer? And thought that programming would be playing League of Legends and eating Cheetos?
>>
ok how about a job/field with minimal programing than?
>>
>>978980
Why doi you even want to go into this field if you don't like programming?

Are you just after "easy money"?
>>
>>978984
I just don't have a specific field within computers that I prefer.
>>
>>979005
Well what are you good at?

What are your skills?
>>
File: 1447095127310.jpg (22KB, 400x416px) Image search: [Google]
1447095127310.jpg
22KB, 400x416px
>>979007
Fuck this turned out really vague, my bad. I guess I'm just all around good with computers? Jesus christ I don't know I feel like I've looked at everything and found it all interesting.
>>
>>978819
I'm a sophomore computer engineer, I interned with IBM my freshman summer and I'm contracted again for this summer, my manager and I have started talking about my full time contract.

I know for a fact that the number 1 reason they picked me is because of my experience with Perl and JS. Web Development is getting huge, everyone wants functional Web Apps for shit. I recommend learning a popular Web framework like Angular or Meteor and a scripting language, JS is always good but a lot of people are getting into Go also.

Just my 2 cents
>>
>>979010
>I guess I'm just all around good with computers

So I take it you have no skills then? It's an enormous field...

Sounds like another Gaymer who is "good with computers", there is loads of you. But you never last longer than one or two semesters of compsci.
>>
You're getting ahead of yourself, OP.

You just need to take the core curriculum and eventually you'll find what you like. You will likely take subjects which you have less an affinity for...and you'll find your way like that.
>>
File: 1443098393473.jpg (7KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1443098393473.jpg
7KB, 200x200px
>>979056
>>979011
Thanks for the responses, I'll look into those.

>>979016
I don't really play vidya but I get what you're saying. I'm looking for a good skill to learn before I go into uni that has to do with the CS type of field. I don't plan on going in knowing nothing and dropping out after two semesters.
>>
Data. Get into data.

Become proficient in data modeling and data object development and writing performative queries.

Executives will crave your balls.

I get offers like 3-4 days a week.

It's fucking recession proof and it pays crazy amounts of money

Fuck application or Web development. The only reason people ask for apps is so they can look at data.

Get the fuck into data.
>>
>>979011
Does PHP qualify? I was thinking of making some database project in PHP.
>>
>>979339
No PHP is shit for data administration
>>
>>979206
Data analytics or data science?
>>
>>980127
bump
>>
>>979206
Fuck data.

Go into networking.
Networking is always growing because more and more people need connecting databases.
Unless you wanna sort digital files in an office cubicle all day, go for the networks!
>>
>>980127

They are the same thing. I got my PhD in Statistics. You,ll need at least a Masters to make any real money.

Bachelors in Statistics is basically useless. I've taught hundreds of them - the vast majority don't even know how to use Excel, let alone any statistical software.

You'll also want to become proficient in Python and SQL, which most likely won't be taught in the classroom setting.
>>
>>980393
Yeah but networking is big now that money transfers and media are all becoming web based
>>
>>980400

I didn't mean to imply networking or any other field is bad. I really have no experience there, so can't speak on it.

Most likely anything related to automation, data, processing, networks will be in high demand for the foreseeable future.
>>
>>980400
>>980127

For example, I rely upon engineers and of course (implicitly) networking people to build the infrastructure that I need to analyze big data.
>>
>>980393
>Bachelors in Statistics is basically useless
b-but that's my major.

I do plan on knowing python and R when I graduate I will take some computing stats classes and accounting classes.

Will that make me less useless? I was going to do data sci, but the cs courses suck and the discrete math professor is awful at teaching.

my goal for college is too build up quant skills. Not to go to wallstreet but be a number-cruncher somewhere. Other people loathe number-crunching but I like it. Do you have any advice for me?
>>
>>980420

Of course I am generalizing. But tell me, do your courses teach you python and R? SQL?

What kind of real data analysis do they do? Are you comfortable building predictive models on large-scale data (> 1 GB, preferably > 1 TB)?

This is the type of stuff you'll want to become proficient in. Start a Github account and build a portfolio. I'm not saying you can't go far with just a BA in Stats, but you'll have to work harder to prove your skillset.
>>
>>980393
I know Microsoft Certified in all of Mic. Office, and know some python. I have not gone into uni yet, would going into Stats be a good option?
>>
I am fresh into a cs/informatics degree in Europe. I am thinking of going into security. How is that for prospects and is it actually interesting?
It seems cool so far, but I have not touched it at all yet. Anyone have any knowledge on the job market for it and if it is actually any fun?
>>
>>980393

what would someone with little background in math or statistics need to learn before applying to a Master's Program? I have a BA in an unrelated subject. I have worked the past year for a federal defense contractor in sales and am bored of it, but we sell all the big name products that do Big Data and Networking.

Could I just apply for the MA program off break, or do I need to take some prerequisites? I have no coding background either. Today I don't have any skills in that field, but I see the value in Big Data every day and thinking about getting into the field. Got any advice?
>>
>>979203
Take a CS class in high school if you can. CS wasn't even on my radar until I took one and then I immediately changed my college plans to CS and haven't regretted it. There's good money in it but you have to have the right sort of mindset. People in this thread are right about one thing: Being a gamer does not mean you will enjoy programming and if you do get into CS you should avoid all vidya-related courses like the fucking plague. The whole vidya industry is a giant shithole full of starving artists at best and incompetent fucks at worst.

That said, if you like tinkering with things and have a very persistent self-motivation power CS can be a great career path. The best jobs are in finance, aerospace, healthcare, military, etc. The places where actual shit gets done and they need people to maintain and upgrade their systems to facilitate that.

The actual languages you learn are pretty irrelevant but learn a variety just to get exposure. Once you learn one picking up a second is easy and the skills that matter (writing tidy, simple, and maintainable code with copious documentation) are totally language independent.
>>
File: images.jpg (4KB, 206x245px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
4KB, 206x245px
>>980400
>>980390
>top IT (networking+cyber security) major in the country
>mfw that doesn't mean shit

Get into networking if you want to install enterprise software for corporations, lel. It's honestly not bad though, if you have low expectations. You get to sit in an air conditioned room most of the time if you're a dedicated networking guy and not a consultant.

If you do end up majoring in IT or something similar (NOT CS by any means obviously), use the free schedule you have opened up by the piss easy coursework to actually develop a skill, and not get drunk/high all day like most. I mean I learned basically got an internship solely based off the fact I knew ruby on rails, and it paid $5k/month in an area a little above SF so it wasn't too expensive.
>>
>>978819
If you don't have a preference, do us all a favor and join a development consulting firm as a java programmer.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.