[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What major would be the best option? Main goal is to make $$$$,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

File: kuklinski.jpg (120KB, 635x694px) Image search: [Google]
kuklinski.jpg
120KB, 635x694px
What major would be the best option? Main goal is to make $$$$, doesn't matter.

Accounting or Finance

From the BLS:

Accountant growth from 2012-22: 544.2
Median Income 2012: $63,550
Job Growth: %13.1

Financial analysts/examiners growth from 2012-22: 100.9
Median Income 2012: $76,950
Job Growth: %15.5
*bonus* Financial Manager's Median Income 2012: $109,740

Background: After my fifth semester in college I am currently in limbo on what I should decide and I'll be starting my major classes next semester. Worked in logistics/supply for 7 years prior to this(military), and don't want to do that anymore.
>>
>>978461
Finance is harder to get a job but pays more.

Accounting is boring as shit, so not as many people want to do it.
>>
Accounting, to make money in finance you have to be outgoing, lucky, and actually talented
>>
>>978463
>>978464

*kicker* I live in a huge retirement area in the US (South Florida), not sure if a bunch of old rich fucks need financial advice, fuck working for a bank though...

I don't care if I sit behind a desk or have to deal with fucks, I just want to be financially stable for the future and make $$$ I can invest myself.
>>
Accounting is soul crushing and try as fuck.
Finance is actually pretty interesting for most people and interactive. A lot better than doing menial work all day long.
>>
>>978471
Chances are if they're old and moved to South Florida they probably already have their finances planned out. Altough you could always be a financial planner somewhere else.

If we're talking about capital markets, and you're not passionate about working in finance (ibanking, s&t, research), I would STRONGLY recommend you not pursue it. The competition for those jobs is just too intense. Like >>978464 said if you're not smart, outgoing, good-looking and really interested in it. It's not for you.
>>
>>978476
Yeah, I'm just looking to have secure employment, even though I believe I can make it in finance (4.0gpa in past 5 semesters, outgoing, 8/10 self rate, dunno about interest though). Looking to become a CFO eventually so I don't have to deal with the menial work all day.

Possible Bachelors in Accounting then CPA, then MBA? Looking for best combo here...
>>
>>978480
Are you in a good school?
>>
ACCOUNTING IS A FUCKING MEME

It's boring as hell, enjoy your suicide by 35 lmao
>>
>>978483
4.0 GPA past 5 semesters, college is fucking easy, I don't understand how all these kids say it's hard.
>>
>>978461
You could always double major in both if you can handle it.
Most likely, before you start a degree in either one, you will have to take at least one or two lower division accounting classes. If you like those classes, continue with the accounting degree. If you hated them (like me because they are boring, awful, and tedious) go on with finance.
I would say either degree is as good as the other. Just do which one you like more and can actually be passionate about. It's really more about YOU as a person and the amount of effort / networking you put into it to start making big money. I know people with 6 figure salaries from both degrees.
>>
Also just study Economics and become a hedge fund manager.

Economics is a lot less boring than Finance or faggot accounting
>>
>>978499
gotcha,
Yeah I'm in Intro to Accounting right now, and it's busy work at best, debits and credits, T charts, balance sheets, not hard but idk if I could do that forever.

Everyone keeps saying networking is key.... It's fucking hard because I'm working 40hrs+ a week and have a wife and 2yr old son to deal with(love those fuckers to death though).
>>
>>978503
>getting married and having children before finishing university or getting a decent job

What am I reading.jpg
>>
>>978510
I'm 26, planned on retiring out of the military.
While working up for my third deployment a stupid bitch was texting and driving and t-boned me while I was driving my motorcycle.

Shattered my leg from hip to ankle, didn't walk on it for 6 months.

Was gonna get married then go on deployment, $$ lol, instead I started walking 3 days prior to my wedding.
>>
>>978461
Entrepreneurship and investing are the best ways to make money. Careers are for boot licking low IQ slaves. Get your degree as insurance and start your own shop. Working for a firm is for losers.
>>
>>978503
Well as you move your way up to Controller you don't deal with any of the low level accounting shit anymore. You just need to master it so you can oversee people's work and know if they're fucking up or not. Higher level accounting honestly sucks ass in my opinion, shit gets hard
I believe finance is an easier path to take. Once you get to upper division the business school you attend will most likely make you take a core finance class no matter what your business concentration is. This will also help you decide which major is better for you.
>>
>>978510
Dude was in the military, that is actually a decent job.
>>
>>978515
This. The goyim work for firms and Jews own firms. Learn from them.

The firm is charging it's client $100+/hr for what you're doing for $30/hr at best. Why would you agree to this?
>>
>>978515
Yeah it's hard to invest/startup without any money, I was thinking of working until I'm about 35 or so and then start investing full time.
>>
>>978515
Nothing wrong with going to school and learning some valuable skills, getting a very good paying career and THEN starting a business with that earned capital . Also helps to have a well paying career to start investing and making $$$ from those investments...
>>
>>978519
You could get into illegal substance trade to scrap up a bit of capital, but desu 10k is enough to grow a portfolio to 200k if you're not a pleb. Technical analysis is bullshit, so just watch out for the pleb trader myths that institutions use to fakeout price movements. Supply/demand (not resistance support) trading is easy af, and it works most of the time.
>>
>>978522
Yeah this is what I had really planned on doing...
Just hard to decide what I'll like doing for the next ~10+ years
>>
>>978524
Problem is I racked up bunch of debt right after I got out because of my leg, so I could be saving money if the bills weren't so high... Have bad luck...
Owned two vehicles,(three including motorcycle) and they BOTH got totaled by some fucking illegals within 6 months of me getting out. So I got fucked hard there.
>>
>>978522
Starting a career will leave little to no time for anything else. It's either become a corporate slave or don't, it's rare that people can juggle their chosen profession and building a successful business, imo it's impossible in the long run. Firms run finance,econ,acc. majors like slaves these days, often don't even take you on unless you intern for a bit or have a ridiculously overpriced education. I think it's not worth it to deal with those shekel hoarding baby boomers, starting your own thing ensures you're the master not the slave.
>>
>>978529
Yeah thing is there are no big firms where I live, I would most likely become a public accountant first, and then an accountant for a regular company.

Lots of accounting job openings in my area but all want a degree....
>>
>>978529
I definitely agree with you. The #1 time to start a business is WHILE you're in college. It just doesn't happen for everyone, and if you really do want to be an entrepreneur one day it will happen while you're in college or eventually after you've graduated.
>>
>>978526
As a finance major you will probably learn a lot more about investing and entrepreneurship than in accounting. It will also be more beneficial to you in the real world.
For example, my university has classes in Real Estate Investing, Entrepreneurial Finance, Business Plan Development, Portfolio Management and a shit ton of other interesting topics that will actually be beneficial for you to learn both in your private and professional life. Compare that to accounting where you're literally learning auditing bullshit and tax law paired with upper div. intermed. financial accounting.
I guess it really depends on the school though. But I assume most other business schools selection of finance classes are similar.
>>
>>978535
Lol if you think they're teaching you useful things you're a fool. The market efficiency theory nonsense they peddled in financial econ courses is thoroughly hated in the investing community. Also measuring risk as standard deviation without looking at fundamentals is kek'd pleb nonsense. If investment courses in uni were useful we'd be seeing every student from those courses become a multimillionaire.
>>
>>978535
Ok,

Yeah my university is really marking out to the local economy(surrounding 100 miles) so I'm sure they'll be going over topics such as that.

Thanks everyone for your time and input, looks like I'll be majoring in finance.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.