[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's stopping people from creating a Kickstarter for a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

What's stopping people from creating a Kickstarter for a nonexistent product (let's say a board game, video game or film, since those are big ones), creating some trailers using faked footage, generating hype online without ever providing a true proof of concept, and then gradually fading out updates post-funding?

It seems people rarely chargeback for Kickstarters as long as they pretend they're still working on them.
>>
>>978430
It's becoming less viable as lawmakers catch on.
>>
>>978553

How so? What laws are at play?
>>
>>978579
I saw an article about someone who went to jail over it, but I can't find it now.

All I know is that kickstarter never promises quality, so just deliver very terribly and legally you're still a free man.
>>
File: 1448078429483.jpg (9KB, 246x227px) Image search: [Google]
1448078429483.jpg
9KB, 246x227px
I tried it. Shit is harder than it sounds. If you actually go for it....

DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE INPORTANCE OF MARKETING

Shit isn't going to publicize itself. Once you get some traction though, you're golden.
>>
>>978876
Not really. All you have to do is post it to leddit and buy a thousand upvotes to put it on the front page, then every reddit pleb and eventually the media rides your project if it's any good.
>>
>>979456
That's what people think....

You have no idea what it's like to work with the reddit upvote people. They're all lazy fucking turks who take 6 hours to upvote your shit. And they do it at a rate of about 1 per 5 minutes.
>>
>>979512
I think that's because of how much utterly retarded shit makes it on crowdfunding sites.
>>
>>978430
It still happens a lot, but there does seem to be more risk (meaning more than none.) However, I'm more impressed by the guys who pretend to develop an exciting new product that already exists. I saw a guy claim to invent hoverboards (the electric self balancing platform scooter) about a year ago. China has been churning those out for a lot longer, but there was no marketing in the West for it. For both these scams you're relying on people feeling too embarrassed to pursue justice. In the fake-invention scheme you do at least deliver a real thing. Eventually.
>>
>>978579
False advertisement, it's stealing, making people pay for something that's a lie.is stealing.
>>
>>978430
At the end of the day, the best safeguard is reputation. Fuck over your fans, and you'll basically be locked out of crowdfunding forever. Every reddit post and blog boost will be followed by screeds from jilted fans.

Most filmmakers or game devs do not start out trying to raise a million dollars, nor would they be successful. Why would you fund a film by a director who doesn't even have a short film online for you to see? How can you make "fake footage"--if you steal it from any other piece of media, won't it tank your campaign?

Then there are products that just fail organically. An idea doesn't scale up, the creator makes poor decisions, and things just fall to shit. While frustrating, this is just a risk you take with these projects. If you want to buy something from a store, go to Amazon.

And at the end of the day, it's small potatoes. There are business men in my state who have outright cheated investors of hundreds of millions, and settled out of court to avoid criminal charges. These men are free, and still enjoy the good life. That's much more troubling to me than some neckbeards losing ten dollars on a card game or something.
>>
>>981861
Furthermore, even traditional investors will probably look you up and see that you're responsible for a public debacle. If you came by failure honestly, perhaps they will forgive, but if you were just greedy or incompetent, no one will have sympathy.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.