[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I work on the road doing construction. Make 65k per year, 90%

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

File: 1445186263824.jpg (594KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1445186263824.jpg
594KB, 1600x900px
I work on the road doing construction. Make 65k per year, 90% of my expenses are covered. I invest on my lunch breaks over my phone. I have 250k in stocks right now and 32k in savings. Started with 1k. Am I focusing too much on investing? I'm 26. Also this type of job seemed to hold the highest profit margin for me due to low cost of living. I can save thousands per year for whatever I choose to do with it, in just a few more years I'll be sitting very happily.

Did I make the right choice in not going to college and getting right into blue collar? At my age I would be just now getting into entry level 40k jobs if I had gone to college but instead I have quite a comfy amount of money and I'm doubtful 80-120k per year could catch up to my headstart.
>>
The best thing you can do is get into your own construction gig. Start learning about the project management and estimation side, if you can learn that and have decent business acumen, you can start your own general contracting firm or even a specialized sub contractor (just need to get a couple workers and rent equipment till you can own it).

If I had 250K it would be an easy decision to start my own construction company. Even with just 50K you would be able to launch a rather precipitous company.

Worst case, it fails and you can go back to working road construction via labor or operator.
>>
>>976011
Well that is a lot of things to get tied into. With stocks it's just a hobby. I am considering buying about 50k in semi-automatic rifles to sell when the next gun scare happens, completely simple profit and they wouldn't cost a dime for me to hold onto in a storage locker until that point. I am looking toward getting promoted in the next 4 years at my job which would mean less travel and about 140k yearly and less actual working in general. Once I get there I'll probably have at least 500k in the market and who knows how about physical assets. I suggest others get into construction, the right company and you can retire at 35.
>>
>>976002
You don't go to college to make more money, you go to college so you don't have to work blue collar.

Otherwise we'd all be HVAC techs, truck drivers, electricians, etc. I get it though, we NEED people that will work these jobs and if it satisfies you then that's great. I did it fresh out of high school, made $35K starting out with almost no job experience while my friends were going to college. I felt rich as I had essentially no expenses other than a small apartment every month. I quickly realized I was missing out on the social aspect and everything that comes along with going to school. I realized I'm not cut out for using my body from dusk to dawn to do a job that was physically demanding and totally meaningless to me, I was miserable working around construction workers who had no aspirations other than to get hammered after a 12hr day. I work a part time job now while I focus on school and I'm much happier, I think that job was essential to helping me realize what I wanted out of life as those daunting 4 years of school seemed like nothing after busting my ass. It all depends on what you want out of this thing.
>>
>>976017
Everyone should at least try just to know what type of person they are. Some folks are really good at this side of life.
>>
>>976020
I'm with you. Hey, it's not for me but it gave me a hell of a work ethic. Everyone should give it a year of really busting your ass in a physically demanding job before deciding if they want to go to school. Too many morons who haven't worked a hard day in their life at these institutions.
>>
I'm 19, nearly 20. And go to college as well as have a part time job. I got 700 dollars to my name and I have no clue how to get into municipal funds and stocks, and all that. Where do even start?
>>
>>976033
Well that isn't 250k profit. 70k of that is profit. I've added the remainder of that myself. No matter what you invested in if it was just 700 dollars you wouldn't see much difference. Though, you can get lucky.
>>
What do you even want to do? I think Warren Buffet or Bill Gates that said making money is easy, if that's all you want to do. It really says about what kind of person they are
>>
>>976002
Man wish I never went to college.
i hate being dyel.
>>
File: lolz.jpg (31KB, 573x609px) Image search: [Google]
lolz.jpg
31KB, 573x609px
>>976017
>You don't go to college to make more money, you go to college so you don't have to work blue collar.

that's a fucking terrible advice. 99% of college jobs are just as much bullshit as driving truck for example. 60% grads dont even get a job remotely related their studies atm.
>>
File: 04858080789787 - Copy (2).jpg (82KB, 508x504px) Image search: [Google]
04858080789787 - Copy (2).jpg
82KB, 508x504px
>>976040
well, everybody wants to make money as much as possible

bill gates and warren can go suck cock. prolly last people to advice anybody. warren hasnt beat the index since 1970.
>>
>>976055
>college jobs

You're either mentally ill or clinically retarded.
>>
>>976017

What job do you work that isn't 12 hour shifts, but can make 35k a year and only with a HS deploma, coupled with a trade school cerf in CS?
>>
>>976055

You can get a job related to your field if you weren't a kek not willing to relocate.
>>
>>976013

> 250k
> not investing real estate

Just why?
>>
File: Revised_Graph.jpg (68KB, 795x663px) Image search: [Google]
Revised_Graph.jpg
68KB, 795x663px
>>976060
>warren hasnt beat the index since 1970.

Wait, what?
>>
>>976013
Unless your in the nfa game guns are not an investment. And what your planing would require an ffl. ( not only from just the governement view, but also because if you plan on buying that much , you might as well get a wholesale discount vs retail)
>>
>>976060
>warren hasnt beat the index since 1970.
>>
>>976002
I'm sick of my shit prospects. How did you get into construction, especially that pays so well?
>>
>>976781
Go into software engineering.
Forget the trade school cerf.That's going to be a sidenote on your résumé.
Teach yourself programming. Build side projects e.g. automate things in your home. Learn as you do it and get excited about it. The more you enjoy it, the faster you'll learn.
Compete at hackathons and programming competitions. (Aim for 12 in a year, most are free)
Compete in online NetSec CTF competitions.
Add all the awards you get to your résumé and use it as proof that you know what the fuck you're doing and you'll make 50000 easy in about a year.
>>
>>976845
Craigslist should always have some road crews advertised. You will start making about 30k per year but once you get some training with machinery and quality control you'll make double and triple what you started with easily, and likely in the 1st year.
>>
>>976863
Because everybody is an autist with 40 hours a week to code
>>
>>976786
I am looking into it with some friends of mine, they are contractors.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.