[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Make some real money with Photography | Ideas

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

I'm not american so please excuse my english.

I'm a photographer, and a very good one I believe. I spent the last 4 years polishing my craft only to discover that I just forgot to pay attention on how to make money.

Yeah, I know I should find a niche, find clients and just shoot. But that's not what I want to do for the rest of my life.

So initially my plan is to associate with another fellow (very talented photographer) and focus on the advertising niche (where the money really is, but also the competition).

Second, start a blog to give back. I found that most of the blogs about photography here in my country (and pretty much all over the world) are just "5 things you should never say to a client", "3 things that will make your photos a lot better", and that's just BULLSHIT. I fucking hate that shit.

My plan is to start a non-bullshit blog that really teaches about every aspect of the craft in every step of the path (I was an assistant for many years).

So, these are 2 of the pillars. And I believe they complement each other. My portfolio will give some credit to the blog, specially in the beginning, and the blog will bring some attention to my portifolio giving me some more to put on the table when prospecting in some agencies.

Eventually, I plan to have a good base of followers and a nice mail list.

So my plan is to sell to them.

Initially workshops, one-on-ones, maybe some video courses. But in the long run I plan to review some equipments and start to import and sell with some e-commerce structure.

So, this configures the third part of the pillar.

Active work as a photographer, a base of readers/clients for the blog and eventually a store. They all complement nicely each other.

I don't plan to get rich doing this (but you never know), I just want to have some money left so I can invest the shit / seek bigger opportunities.

So, what's wrong with my plan?
I'm seeking some real advice.

ps: in the picture a book that really changed my life.
>>
>>974776
>I'm a photographer, and a very good one I believe. I spent the last 4 years polishing my craft only to discover that I just forgot to pay attention on how to make money.

Is there anything more cliche than this?

Photographers don't make any money, they're all unemployed.
>>
Build wall please
>>
>>974783

You're obviously thinking small.

Not in the editorial world, but when it comes to advertising there is some good money involved.

You could easily charge 10k for a day shooting. Of course there is some pre-plan, meetings and stuff but this not far from reality at all.
>>
>>974814
>You could easily charge 10k for a day shooting

Yeah and no one does.

Photography and arts students in general are all unemployed. Because there's TOO much competition and not enough demand.

To take some photographs all you need is one professional guy to do it like 2-3 times in your life time probably, for website, for your wedding, etc.
And there's thousands and thousands of graduates every year, or even uneducated people who are capable.

It's the most retarded major and business ever
>>
>>974814

My best friend paid like six grand for their wedding photography

You'd have to have an entire city on lock to consistently get that kind of money though

I cannot think of reasons to hire a professional photographer other than weddings or some formal event
>>
>>974817
Usually the unemployed are the ones that just think that now they have a camera they're photographers, that don't know shit about marketing and about run a business.

I agree with you, it's a saturated market. But aren't they all saturated?

And that's exactly why i'm planning to come up with some other ideas to make money.
>>
>>974821
You see, one guy paid 6k to someone to just shoot a fucking wedding.
I live in a city with 11 million people.
>>
>>974823
>I agree with you, it's a saturated market. But aren't they all saturated?

Not as much.

The thing here is like I said, how many professional photography does one need in their life time?
More than 3 in their entire life would be HIGHLY unusual.

So yes you can make a lot of money, if you somehow got a huge monopoly on photography(impossible) and were really good.
>>
>>974821
When you have a company and want some kickass photos for advertising, usually you hire a photographer.
Example: my partner used to make some pictures to Nike so they could use on their instagram.
Not a big AD job but paid decently.

There will always be big jobs out there because there's a lot of big companies wanting to promote products or ideas.
>>
>>974828
But you're still thinking small. You're thinking about sell pictures to people. I'm talking about sell them to companies.
>>
You seem like one of the few people here who actually have their shit together. I don't know much about photography but I do know that productizing your skillset is an efficient way to reach a large number of people.

>a nice mail list
You are really on top of your shit. Keep building your list and gaining a following. Eventually release an info product or book with all the goodies that noobies need and also vets. Then release another one helping them make a side income or possibly even a living using their photography skills. Get creative and continue the pattern if you see an unmet need.

>Make people want to give you money
Learn a little about writing copy so you learn how to market yourself properly.

Check out the book called "Authority:Become an Expert".

It sucks that a lot of people pick up hobbies and don't stick with them until the fun part.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.