[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a difference between gambling and investing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

Is there a difference between gambling and investing?
>>
>>973617
Gambling is entirely luck-based and Investing is making educated choices based on certain knowledge.
>>
Gambling is pure statistics. So you know what the odds are you are going to lose.
Investing is accounting, emotion and fortune telling, with a bit of statistics.

Usually investing is actually profitable, because the stocks are backed by hard working people, while with gambling people often run out of cash before they manage to play the numbers.
>>
In the long run, a well diversified investment portfolio will net you gains and gambling will net you losses.
>>
>>973617
>playing blackjack
>not no limit texas hold em

The difference between my dick and your mom is actually -7 inches right now
>>
>>973625
>Gambling is entirely luck-based

Definitely not true. Poker has a ton of skill to it and making educated choices based off of a crazy amount of variables.
>>
>>973843
>Definitely not true. Poker has a ton of skill to it and making educated choices based off of a crazy amount of variables

Yes but I wouldn't consider Poker "gambling". It's more of a skill-based game, although it does have a massive luck portion and CAN be played similar to roulette.
>>
Investing is buying and owning something. Gambling is just betting on the fluctuation of the price.
>>
>>973846
You have to keep in mind investing is a broad term.
When I first interned at an IB we had a former hedge fund manager train us.

His exact words were, "It's a giant roulette table".
Many rich investors do not have the "skill" you think they do. Some just get lucky, this is inherent in a market that CANT be predicted.

Some also miserably fail taking such risks. Investing does not have to be educated and frequently the most profitable investments are the ones with the most blind risk. Risk and reward are correlated.
>>
>>973854
it's not about predicting the cards that will come out, just simply putting in your money when you've got the best of it.

thats all trading is. your mom also trades her mouth for my dick quite often.
>>
>>973860
>it's not about predicting the cards that will come out, just simply putting in your money when you've got the best of it.

Nice bullshit semantics. Are you dumb enough to think all investing is value?
>>
>>973617
Say you have $x000.
Bet it and lose means no more money.
Investing in a stock that dropped means lowered value but still has the chance to rise.
>>
>>973617
You can decide to get out of an investment. Once the croupier says no more bets you're stuck with the bet and it can go to zero.
>>
If you want to earn some real money you ought to short sell S&P 500. The dollar is going to collapse very soon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FMFEAF4?keywords=petrodollar&pebp=1447529946761&perid=51G21HN63AXHEG9M0F68&qid=1447529900&ref_=sr_1_4&s=books&sr=1-4
>>
>>973617
people might not have hit on this, but an investor has access to a wide array of information, both about trends and the companies he is considering. Companies might try to conceal certain information, but they are legally obligated to freely give out quite a lot. Also, the investing market thrives and grows when everybody is getting paid. steady growth encourages more people to chip in and contribute to that growth.

Gambling is almost the complete opposite. the house selects games that place the odds completely in their favor. your chances of winning anything, let alone breaking even, are hilariously small. They are under no obligation to tell you shit about how the game is run. in fact, how the games work can be a closely guarded secret. Gambling thrives on a few stratospheric payouts, and nearly everyone else losing. that way, they can stoke the ambition of the players, without actually needing to give up a dime. companies selling their stock want you to win, because that means they are profitable. stock traders want you to win, just slowly. gambling dealers want you to lose, period.
>>
>>973617
Investing is kind of just like legalized gambling.
Both are somewhat skill and psychology based but there's also a large amount of luck. I know people who have lost lots in the stock market even though they did research and invested wisely and I know people who have made tens and hundreds of millions of stocks because they invested in the right stock at the right time or because they had information
>>
>>974246
>The dollar is going to collapse very soon.
solid 4chan advise.
>>
>>974279

Did you look at the link i provided with my post dipshit?
>>
>put 1000 dollars into poker
>make the wrong plays
>come out with $0

>put 1000 dollars into the stock market
>make the wrong plays
>come out with $920 that still has more buying power than the 1000 dollars you had before due to inflation
>>
>>974246
Every year theres another dipshit who cries that the end is coming.

Meanwhile, the people who invested in the 70s, stuck through 83, 2002, and 2008 are filthy fucking rich. Only retards fucking think that the economy will ever collapse. Let me get something through your skull.

IF THE ECONOMY TRULY COLLAPSES, YOU WON'T BE ALIVE TO SHORT IT.

As long as the economy can sustain human existence, the growth of the S&P is assured.

The real problem that could threaten this basic truth is the shrinking of the american white majority, simply because niggers and spics are content on living on 2 dollars an hour, forcing wages down and presenting honest white teenagers and young adults from investing. I addition, Bernie knockoffs coming along and making college free. You'll be forced to attend a mega-expensive for profit college to get a real degree. All the free college countries have a large white majority where the only people attending are those that care and need it. Niggers and spics filling classroooms have destroyed the public education system where the only serious college attendees are coming from privates.
>>
>>974285
To be fair to the guy you are responding to I didn't click on the link either.
>who clicks on random links?
>sounds like it will be some shill site
>Why the US Dollar is going to collapse soon and how you can make MILLIONS taking advantage of it!!!!
>>
>>973617
Yeah, with investing the odds are in your favour.
>>
>>973617
yeh, the average rate of return over time for the s&p 500 is like 8.8% , so, you can expect 8.8% return, on average, over time, by simply putting money into an s&p etf.

is this like the /biz/ equivalent of "cut vs uncut" or "black dicks" , like guaranteed replies troll?
>>
>>974354
ebin
>>
>>973872
i daytrade. it's not investing, but active day trading.

however if you do invest for the long term, you want value instead of growth
>>
>>974279
yeah, considering that the dollar is already at 100, it's going to drop real soon...

120 here we go. i have posted this prediction on a forex forum a number of years ago, to the date it happens. maybe i can find that post.
>>
>>974329
That's what you think.

When you invest, you are playing against other people too.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.