[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do 20 something's afford NYC?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 5

File: tmp_23821-NYAMC1-ESB1775165719.jpg (108KB, 900x370px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_23821-NYAMC1-ESB1775165719.jpg
108KB, 900x370px
How do 20 something's afford NYC?
>>
parents/trust funds
>>
>>970211
There's tons of waiters and shit there that are independant
>>
>>970223
And living ina 400sq foot apartment with a room mate and 3 subway rides to work

Or they are lucky to get a rent controlled apt
>>
i live in a basement that was posted for $600/mo on craigslist with bathroom, kitchen, washer and dryer

i work 2 jobs, one is part time technician work at an aquarium and the other is some web evaluation job i found while lurking /biz/. average out to 1.5kish a month.

it's been chill so far. i can eat out as often as i want and i spend most of my days lurking 4chan while watching twitch streams. but i really need a better paying job as i can't be living in this lady's basement my whole life.
>>
>>970207
flatmates, lots of flatmates, if you have lived in new york all your life as gentrification and real estate prices rise all around you you learn to do this
>>
>>970263
Just to digress a bit, where do you see New York City being in 10 years?
Surely wages aren't increasing at the same pace as rents, so where does the growth end?
Are people being priced out of NYC en masse?
>>
>>970264
If I don't like it I'll grow up and buy a house in the Midwest dump
>>
>>970259
That's sounds unreasonably easy. Is this queens or something?
>>
>>970264
I feel like it's going to become the next SF but then again they have all the tech jobs. I'm hoping the gentrification that's happening here and in NY doesn't come here to LA but then again that would mean job growth so maybe it would help me out
>>
>>970277

Yep queens
>>
>>970286

Do you think LA downtown will sky rocket?

There's some very nice buildings, it's walkable and there's the subway system. A rejuvenation there seems far more likely than Detroit for example.

At the moment it's slightly depressed. 500 Days of Summer kind of shows an unrealistic gentrified downtown LA which could exist.
>>
>>970346
Depends on your field man

>>970302
Do you commute far?
>>
my parents will help me pay for shit when i become a banker on the street in nyc
>>
>>970286
surely it will help get rid of ghettos and lower crime etc..

also provide a good opportunity for the non-degenerate locals to make money from property - jump on the band wagon and start to embrace it if it does come - gentrification is often beneficial
>>
>>970207
We are the rent generation brah.

Tfw when you're in your mid 30s and still renting
>>
>>970245
>Or they are lucky to get a rent controlled apt

this is something that always struck me as strange re: NYC

In London there is a similar situation with people in their 20s flat sharing - but we don't have any 'rent control' - it seems like a very un-american thing to have so always struck me as a bit odd that it existed in NYC...
>>
>>971066
Section 8 housing will see to it that degenerates and crime stay for good.

Welfare is the worst thing to happen to the advancement of society.
>>
>>970207
Money is available for anyone who knows how to say please.
>>
>>971073
welfare works well if everyone is educated to a high standard and it just goes to people who've fallen on hard times through bad luck or a disability... it doesn't work well if you've got a whole chunk of the population immersed in gang culture, who won't try in school and who won't be interested in working - then you just have a chunk of society that is a continual drain on the rest and carries on breeding/expanding
>>
File: we_forgot_the_ballon.jpg (75KB, 960x339px) Image search: [Google]
we_forgot_the_ballon.jpg
75KB, 960x339px
>>970207
>Live with my parents
>Don't live in manhattan
>Be broke all the time because you can't find a good job and your commute to everything is 2 hours

I am stuck here until I graduate and save up enough money to get the fuck out of this expensive ass city which charges 2.75 for the privilege to ride on their public transit.

Anyone know any high paying jobs a person can get near the train station.
Or any job at all for that matter.

>tfw working at toys R us as a seasonal employee
>They told me to go home early the other day
>Only worked 10 hours that entire week
>They only put me on for 4 hours on thanksgiving
>Possibly the hardest day to work because they expect to be running a full capacity that day
I seriously need a higher paying job that doesn't take me 2 hours to get to and actually works with my schedule.
I owe my school 2k and it needs to be paid before next year for Christ sake

>mfw thought it would be easy to get 2k even on 8.75 an hour
>mfw they give me little to no hours and only want me for the heaviest flowing times

Fuck this economy is so bad right now
>>
>>971142
Why does everyone say outside Manhattan has a crazy commute? Like theres jobs in Brooklyn too..
>>
I work for an investment bank and can live on my own in Manhattan/Brooklyn.
>>
>>970207
Mom and dad
>>
>>971069
Yeah it's very odd and anyone who isn't from nyc and hears about it here in the states is shocked to hear about this. It's lunacy
>>
>>971179
It only happened during one term I'm sure they don't give it out anymore and its dying
>>
>>971177
>>971167
I meant average people in their early twenties...
>>
>>971197
1-2 roommates in a studio apartment, or they don't.
>>
>>971158
I basically live in long island friend. I am so far out I have more in common with Staten island residents than people living in queens
What jobs dude?
I can't seem to find anything
>>
File: popsicles bitch.jpg (91KB, 440x563px) Image search: [Google]
popsicles bitch.jpg
91KB, 440x563px
>>970207

Live in an apartment the size of a tent, in a shit area. Then work 2 jobs.

I really don't understand the appeal of NYC. But then again, I don't like cities in general.
>>
>>971215
I'm from Key West. Moved to NYC to get an extremely unique job that I wouldn't be able to find anywhere else.

Being in my mid-20s, it's a great place to have a great time, if you are tolerant of many, many things.

The city does change you; how it changes you is up to you.

Then again, I pay $5000 a month for my apartment and split it 3 ways. On the other hand my salary compensates.
>>
Op here you guys make NYC sound shitty. Is it cheap around Harlem and the Bronx or should I settle for like Miami or something?
>>
>>971068
>We are the rent generation brah.
lmao speak for yourself poorfag
>>
Are property guardianship company's a thing in New York?

Basically where they let out abandoned buildings to prevent squatters.

It's a way of getting cheap rent and these company's are making a lot of money here in Europe.
>>
>>971362

If you want "city access" move to someplace along the Metro-North line. If you want "city life" you should move to the city, but be aware you're paying for that lifestyle.

>Is it cheap around Harlem and the Bronx or should I settle for like Miami or something?

Harlem is expensive now, the Bronx less so but only in certain areas past Marble Hill. One area that's kinda overlooked is Inwood, Manhattan. Very nice place to live, lots of park access and green space, but it gets super ethnic once you go east of Broadway. Like, "buy a live chicken, some fresh squeezed OJ, and a 1950s drill bit set from the same vendor" ethnic.
>>
>>971561
There are no abandoned buildings in NYC.
>>
>>971595
Do you have squatters in NYC? Like buildings that are filled with hippys and smackheads that pay no rent?
>>
>>971579
Where in NYC can you live for $1000 a month rent? It doesn't matter how shitty. Like what are the very shittiest living quarters in say Manhattan?
>>
>>971599
No, the building owners call the police because the taxes alone are costing them five figures. Any building owner notices quickly if their profits aren't coming in.
>>
>>971610
http://nycdwellers.com/nyc-apartments-for-rent/manhattan/apartments-under-1000

You'll notice most of these are 150-250 square feet. You're literally renting a closet, and you share a bathroom with everyone else on your floor.
>>
>>971579
Grew up in that area. Inwood has been extremely gentrified. Grante it had nothing but 90%+ Hispanics. Not that number has fallen. They neighborhood is great. Rent is starting to go up fast in the area. All the train stations in the area are being renovated, it has multiple hospitals. Plenty of new businesses popping up.

And as for op. It can be difficult to live in NY in your 20's but it's possible. Waiting on an apartment 1 bedroom with its own entrance for 1k a month in the bronx, not the best neighborhood but it's a 15 minute walk to Manhattan. And it's right by the train.
I currently live my my parents and I pay 500$ a month I make about 30k a year. Which is more inline with what the avg new yorker makes. And I can go out twice a week for food and order in food 3-5 times a week. And still have money to save up.
But yeah, shit is expensive compared to other states.
Brooklyn is cheap, but no one wants to live in the "affordable " places there cause they're a shit hole. And I'm 22 no college degree, but going for it soon. Only work 1 job. When 2018 comes around expect rents to skyrocket baring anything crazy happens. With the new minimum wage hike to basically double unskilled labour by 2018.
>>
File: image.png (773KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
773KB, 640x1136px
>>971617
Doesn't look too bad
>>
>>971611
There are no derelict buildings in New York?

Can anyone confirm this fact that there are no squatters living in New York?
>>
>>971619
>When 2018 comes around expect rents to skyrocket baring anything crazy happens. With the new minimum wage hike to basically double unskilled labour by 2018.

Holy shit I hadn't thought of that. I better buy in 2017.
>>
>>971652
Lol, even with what I said is pretty vague. Im sure, price will be accounted for. Anyone who bought around 2009 especially in manhatten. Is going to be making a killing.

I am just honestly hoping for a there to be a bubble burst somewhere that affects us again. And for something similar to happen to stocks and home price in like 5 years. And I should have a couple dozen 10,000's saved up to put as a down payment. Buy a small place. Then upgrade 10 years down the line into the mortgage , when I can afford a larger place or a place slightly bigger in a better community or reduce my commute/better neighborhood.
>>
>>971050
lol even with an entry level analyst salary you can afford a decent apt on your own here.
>>
>>971732
Er a bit of cash. I wish I could save a couple dozen 10,000's.
I was thinking like 20,000-50,000 saved. If I can manage another job and go to school and save.
>>
>>971647
Yeah a motel sized studio isn't bad for living in NY fucking c

>>971651
Its NYC there's squatters in active buildings
>>
>>971237

> throwing away $60k a year, instead of buying a home and building equity

holy fucking shit.
>>
>>972410
Well he said his rent was split up and who wants dirt cheap redneck property anyway
>>
>>970223

And they share a toilet with 5 other people.
>>
>>971647

Pictures are worthless when looking for an apartment.
>>
I always wanted to live in NYC, but the costs scare me. Maybe if my current salary was adjusted for cost of living I would enjoy it. I would need to make like $250k/yr to make it work, so no thanks.
>>
>>972688
You just have to be poor there

>>972668
Not really no
>>
>>972696
>Not really no

Yes, really.

Nine times out of ten it doesn't look as good as the pictures.
>>
What is considered the most up and coming coolest area of NYC to live in right now but is still cheap(ish)

Like the New York equivalent of Bethnal Green or Camden in London.

Can someone post a map of New York that shows all the areas clearly?
>>
>>972733
Astoria queens
>>
>>972697
Then what the fucj is the point of it
>>
>>972750

What's the point of any advertisement?

Are you one of those people who also believe that the sandwiches in the fast food ads look exactly like they do when you order them?
>>
>>972738
Nice Id noobxmas I will look in to this queens Astoria
>>
>>970264
yes sponsored nationals are gonna take over manhattan expensive apartments arent a problem when you move in with a job secured and have 20,000 people that'll chip in to back you up if your budget is too tight.
is this the doom of manhattan?
what's goin on donald trump?
>>
>>972759
Are you comparing million dollar advertisements to a guy snapping pics for craigslist I his underwear
>>
>>972733
http://www.zoopla.co.uk/market/london/camden-square/nw1-9xa/

Camden is not up and coming or cheap-ish. It is firmly established -has been for years- as desirable to live in, prestigious and expensive.

A NW1 zipcode aint for chumps.
>>
>>972733
Camden New Jersey
>>
>>973382
Up and coming and cheap? You'd have to go to some queens shit. Crown heights maybe?
>>
>>972506
You could EASILY pay the mortgage on a huge lake home in a rich suburb of Minneapolis or something for 5k a month. "Not in NYC" doesn't mean "redneck shit"
>>
Just build more housing you cheap fucks.
>>
>>970207

NYC should have better salaries but the cost of living is awful.

I feel like Chicago provides similar paying jobs but for about 2/3 the cost of living.
>>
>>970207
i live in a 1 bedroom studio for 200 a month in chelsea AMA
>>
>>973344
I live in nw1 I pay £550 a month Camden isn't expensive really.
>>
>>973486
How? And where is Chelsea?
>>
>>973518
Im homeless 19 year old in a transitional living program that deposits the monthly fee you give them into a savings acccount you cant access. After 18 months you get the money back. Technically you pay either 200 or 15% of your income, whichever is higher. Its a good setup. Have 1500 plus 3 months worth in that savings account they have for me. Theres other living programs i can transfer to afterwards, that are basically for free. Any underage homeless youth who doesnt take advantage of these programs are morons.
>>
>>970207
>How do 20 something's afford NYC?

It depends where you want to live.

If you want to live in the East Village, or Williamsburg, it's going to cost you.

If you want to live a five minute walk and twenty minute train ride from Manhattan, your options open up. Especially with roommates. For each minute you add onto that commute, your options open up more and more.

It only gets expensive if you want to live in the same neighborhoods as the 20 year old trustafarians.
>>
>>973459

yeah man, I really don't get it.

What makes NYC so goddamn special? I can think of like 10 cities that would be nicer, more fun, and cheaper than NYC.
>>
>>973518
Manhattan west side like 14th street up to 28th I think
>>
>>971647

That's because it's not Manhattan and it's a fuckhole in the middle of Bed-Stuy which is still pretty seedy
>>
>>972733

I always thought Bay Ridge in Brooklyn was a pretty good deal -- probably around $800/month for the type of apartment you would've rented in college. You pay less to live there than you do a run-down hellhole like Bushwick because it's Chinese ghetto instead of any other kind of ghetto, and therefore hipsters can't get the "cultural enrichment" they desire. Lots of nice little bars around there, decent food from what's left of the old Italian neighborhoods, and 40 min commute to Grand Central
>>
>>973531
Are there property guardianship schemes in New York that you're aware of?

I only ask because New York is the only place in America that has similar squatting laws to Europe.
>>
>>973558
Tell me them, please. I'm looking to move in a few years after I have 100k saved up and it couldn't hurt to hear someone's opinion, sometimes I get mention of a city or town I hadn't thought of.

>Ex: Turns out Bloomington, Indiana is pretty fucking great if you're early 20s. 4 colleges, lots of businesses, lots of nightlife, lots of qts, all 4 seasons, warmer than New England, an hour away from another major city (Indianapolis sucks but it has an international airport and a few other rarities).

Any obscure nice places to live like that? I'll be late 20s when the move happens.
>>
>>973463
There's nowhere to put it. NYC has over 2% of the USA's population, and the USA is pretty big.
>>
File: 1438398819329.gif (497KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1438398819329.gif
497KB, 500x375px
I have no idea why you would want to live in New York. I lived there just over 2 years... and it sucks balls. Everybody is just barely getting by. Everybody is hustling big time. Its GO GO GO. It never sleeps. I just left, but was originally brought there by a decent job ~60k$/yr. Everybody sucks, and the infrastructure of the city is deteriorating big time. Everything smells. Just.... idk, the only good about NY is food accessibility is good.
>>
>>973879
How much have you seen? Some of NYC is fucking awesome, it's way too massive to judge it like that.
But yeah, it's GOGOGOGOGO. I had a friend from Europe visit and he was amazed by how fast everything was and the mentality.

Midtown Manhattan by port authority is pretty shit, tourist hell and does indeed smell. I worked on 50th and it got old quick. Food is indeed top tier, some REALLY good cheap food if you know where to look.
It's also about being able to afford a cozy apartment with no preferably no roommates..
>>
>>971651
>>972323
Some people forget that NYC isn't just Manhattan. There are lots of vacant buildings in the Bronx, with good reason. Some in Brooklyn and queens. Manhattan itself its probably true there are no vacant buildings. Every bit of empty space is used by some hipster trust fund kid from the Midwest living out his dream of living in NYC.
>>
>>973647
I went to IU, Bloomington is breddy nice but you also have to worry about what kind of jobs you can get.
>>
>>973647
Pittsburgh is pretty top tier.

>International Airport
>3 colleges in the city proper, a bunch more in the county
>Great nightlife
>Relatively safe
>CHEAP housing. A decent 2000 sq ft. house in a good neighborhood is about 130k. Smaller houses in working class neighborhoods can be had for 90k.
>an actual light rail system

Not to mention that western PA is a good place to live all around. No natural disasters occur here.
>>
>>973956
130k, wow. Can you show me a street view of the quality of neighborhood for that money
>>
>>973879

it definitely smells like everything has been pissed on for the last 200 years
>>
>>971362
Eurofag here, but why the fuck would you want to live in New York, unless you're already rich? It's a giant jew-run city with sky-high costs and nothing but trash (unless you're rich and can afford to live away from the streets, down low, up high).

If I wanted to move to the US, I'd probably just find some acceptable fly-over state. Neither of the coasts are especially good places to live, generally (as far as I know).

>>972666
>they share a toilet with 5 other people [strangers]
Fart sauna. Absolutely disgusting. Nice trips, though.

>>973382
>Joisy
Nice try, Krispy. Nobody with a dream of New York wants to live in that shithole.
>>
>>973961
maps/zN3qaXr9NYT2
That's squirrel hill, very close to the city

Here's one for sale near where I live (look these up on zillow since 4chan won't let me post links):
1472-Dormont-Ave-Pittsburgh-PA

Both neighborhoods are low crime, middle class.

You might want better schools if you're going to have kids, Mt. Lebanon is a bit more expensive but has #1 rated schools in the state, virtually all white/Asian community, and an SS style police force. Crime is virtually nothing here.

Example house:
668-Kelso-Rd
>>
>>970207
Either have a solid-paying job or live in the outer boroughs.

There are tons of jobs for people straight out of college in NYC to make 100k+

Source: I live here
>>
>>972410
I hope this is bait.
>>
>>974300
>1472-Dormont-Ave-Pittsburgh-PA

Looking at it on street view... all the cars in the neighborhood are fairly new and clean, few pedestrians, the couple I've seen are white... checks out, probably a decent neighborhood.
>>
>>974323
Dormont's a pretty OK place to live, the main catch being the schools aren't anything special.

Bethel park is a bit farther out, but has bigger lots and a better school district. You pretty much can't go wrong in general in the south hills.
>>
>>971158
I don't get it either. It's like 15 minutes on subway to Manhattan from any borough. Thes people are just retarded and had poor planing and life in New jersey or long island
>>
>>973956
you actully listed a international airport as the number one attraction?
topkek.
Just be ready. Everyone in pittsburgh is pissed off. so you need to know how to deal with them, and it's not by being nice
>>
>>974659
I was replying to a post that listed an international airport as being important, so yeah I included it. That list is in no specific order.

>Everyone in Pittsburgh is pissed off
Are you from the south? Most people in northeast states don't really waste time with fake pleasantries. Definitely wouldn't say pissed off, its a "get the job done" attitude.
>>
>$610 a month for a nice one-bedroom apartment in a quiet-ish neighborhood
>should have the cash to take a serious look at a comparable condo by the end of next year
>live 15 minutes from work if traffic is okay, 10 if excellent
>make $40K+ after last raise, good ability to set/change my schedule if needed, the work itself is piss-easy 95% of the time

And I live in a much-derided "flyover state", I dare you to do this well in the crowded shithole of New York or San Francisco
It's not worth it
>>
>>974704
Gunshots are better than the midwest
Thread posts: 98
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.