[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm studying International Relations, am i fucked?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 6

File: 1413964192490.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1413964192490.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
I'm studying International Relations, am i fucked?
>>
Yes. Dumb worthless major.

Wtf kind of job can you even do with this? It's like "Political science", unless you have connections to work in government or something you'll be unemployed.
>>
>>969423

I know a girl who studied Int Relations. She now works for one of UN agencies in Geneva. She travels to places where natural disasters happened and so on. I have no idea how much she makes, but looks like she lives awesome life meeting people from all over the world. Of course, she also studied legal sciences and speaks 5 languages.
>>
>>969423
its am ok program. you got 2 paths really. 1 is the more "ethical" UN route and charities. the other is sales
>>
>>969475
>legal Science
>five different languages
Yes the International Relations reeeally helped.
>>
>>969423
No - seriously, what does international relations even teach you?

What is it all about? Is it just a bunch of social science courses?
>>
>>969477
>International Relations
how old are you? in many cases the degree does help. not for it's contents but because it shows you can finish something. The IR degree with the five languages work well together.

I met a turkish butcher once who claimed to speak 6 languages, would he be better at doing that girl's IR job?
>>
>>969498
Literally what specialized skills does international relations teach you?

It's completely useless.
>>
>>969501
blanket statements are a sign of lower intelligence. not always, but 99% of the time
>>
International Affairs BA holder here.

Life after graduation has had little to nothing to do with my degree. I basically worked in the Canadian oil patch to make a mini fortune for myself. I did go abroad twice, and if I stretch the truth on my resume I can probably get some kind of job with it.

Currently living on my family farm ignoring the fact that I fucking NEED to go to grad school of I want to move ahead in a career.

Knowing what I know now, I probably would have stayed in university and studied another bachelor's degree that complemented my international affairs degree. Probably something business related.

Thinking I'll go back though and get a Master's in Finance. I just don't want to wrack up five figure debt to do it.
>>
>>969503
Ok but no one can seem to answer.

I've been really curious as to what this major teaches you specifically. It seems like nothing, similar to Women's Studies or something.
>>
>>969501
it puts you/the student in a metric scale for the coursework. i do not know what international relations means either, but it has specialized coursework.

maybe it's political/sociology/economy shit, but w/e it is, you are graded and given a score.

Who has a higher score, someone who got a 3.5 GPA in IR, or someone who didnt even attempt it?

I hear what you are saying about IR being a 'worthless' degree that doesnt teach you anything special you that you can read in a book, but you have to be ignorant to believe having a degree in it is completely worthless when there is so much evidence that having a degree is better than not having one.

>in b4 muh trades
>>
>>969509
i don't have the degree but its a mix of history, economics and political science focused around why and how people perceive the world. so its sales at a high level.
>>
>>969512
+1 on the better to have something rather than nothing front
>>
File: 20121218_064737.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20121218_064737.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>969509

Here are the courses from my transcript after I transferred from community college (cuz fuck debt):

Sem 1
-Peoples of the world
-First year French
-World Geography East
-Political Ideologies

Sem 2
-First year French
-Nationalism and Human Security
-International Organizations
-American Foreign Policy

Sem 3
-Second year French
-World Geography West
-Modern Germany
-Social Science Research

Sem 4
-Second Year French
-Recent Europe
-Judo
-Self-Defense
-Topics in Public Policy: Social Movements

I also studied abroad for higher level French, and took online classes in between winter break to graduate faster. and haven't listed my community college courses
>>
>>969512
>but you have to be ignorant to believe having a degree in it is completely worthless when there is so much evidence that having a degree is better than not having one

I didn't say having a degree is worthless, I said THIS degree is worthless.

Why would this ever be more useful than studying Finance, accounting, business administration, etc?

>>969517
Seems really broad and dumb tbqh. Honestly seems Sociology/anthropology-tier aka not applicable to anything and just a bunch of social justice mumbojumbo that doesn't give you any marketable skills.
>>
>>969523
ok you kinda took some basket weaving electives. do judo and self defense on your own god damn time lol
>>
>>969523

Also, I graduated cum laude with a 3.79 GPA.

I'd be thrilled if I could get a scholarship to get my master's degree.
>>
>>969526
broad can be good. best broker (investment advisor) i know has a journalism degree. all how you use it
>>
File: 20121218_064752.jpg (902KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20121218_064752.jpg
902KB, 3264x2448px
>>969528
Haha, honestly I was thinking about take a Management class at my Uni's business college instead.

But figured, fuck it, I'll learn to defend myself and get credit for it lol.

I should have went straight into grad school and taken a semester off here and there to re-accumulate funds and shit.

I am really big into not going into debt.
>>
>>969523
>Sem 1
>-Peoples of the world
Wow this will really be useful when getting a job. Be sure to tell your interviewer all about it!
>-First year French
Useless, studying French in school is dumb and will never get you to anywhere near the level of a native speaker. You need immersion.
>-World Geography East
Nice you know the topography and capitals of a few countries you could've googled. This is really worth it.
>-Political Ideologies
Aka Multiculturalism and liberalism is good, Nationalism and "far-right" ideologies are bad because they're nazis who killed 6 trillion Jews.

>Sem 2
>-First year French
Useless as said above.
>-Nationalism and Human Security
What is the point of even learning this? How can it be applied to earning money or bringing value to people?
>-International Organizations
Highly useful Course as well, you're a shoe-in for any high paid executive position!
>-American Foreign Policy
Aka Blood for oil is bad boo hoo evil Americans killing poor Arabs

>Sem 3
>-Second year French
Useless
>-World Geography West
Cool I know countries in Latin America and can point them out on a map.
>-Modern Germany
Lol, why does this even matter?
>-Social Science Research
"No"

>Sem 4
>-Second Year French
Useless
>-Recent Europe
Why
>-Judo
?????????????
>-Self-Defense
???????????????/////???///?????
>-Topics in Public Policy: Social Movements
Tumblr: the Course

So all in all, you've learned NOTHING that is applicable or marketable or valuable to any employer... right? It's just a bunch of social science shit that is as far as it gets from Business.
>>
>>969519
it's not just 'something'

a lot of people go to college/university wrong

no matter what the major, you need to do the following

>get to know every professor every semester, go to office hours, pretend you are having trouble in class (or if you are go to them for help)
>make friends with all the proactive/tryhard people in your major
>never miss a lecture, not one, never play on your phone/text/be on laptop. That's rude and you are taking away from your education
>do homework in advance and possibly collaborate, make sure it's perfect
>use your faculty connections and try to get extra curricular shit related to your major (gf who was IR and prelaw got an internship at my city's hugeass law firm through a professor connection)
>make sure you get as high as a GPA as possible

this applies for ANY major, if you follow everything here you will have a hard time NOT getting a job/fellowship/position before/after graduation. Or you could get into a good grad school/phd program. its fuckheads that did the bare minimum in college and barely skated by while playing vidya that made the college degrees are worthless meme.
>>969526
do you define more useful as making money starting? someone can literally have a passion for international relations and wanted to be a diplomat or w/e since they were 6. These are the people who should be studying it/getting jobs. Btw look up starting salaries for some IR jobs.

>seems really broad and dumb tbqh
then dont major in it, leave the major for people who actually want to study and and will actually have a passion to make a difference
>>
>>969534
dont be afraid of debt, just make sure u get a higher rate of return than your paying. borrowing at 3% to earn 5%=win
>>
>>969536
>someone can literally have a passion for international relations and wanted to be a diplomat or w/e since they were 6

You need connections, diplomats for the most part are just scammers who sit and do nothing but philosophize about things while draining people's money.

>leave the major for people who actually want to study and and will actually have a passion to make a difference

Difference in what? What have diplomats ever done for the world?
>>
>>969535
lol!

You're preaching to the choir buddy.

But actually

>American Foreign Policy
>Political Ideologies

Was taught by the same professor and admitted to being a conservative. And it was a woman.

The degree is literally meant to prepare you only for academia and grad school.

This is why I said I want to go to grad school for a 'hard' business discipline, like finance. I just don't want to shell out $31,000 for it.
>>
>>969540
you are ignorant

>You need connections, diplomats for the most part are just scammers who sit and do nothing but philosophize about things while draining people's money.

you made that up

>Difference in what? What have diplomats ever done for the world?

read a book/wikipedia
>>
>>969545
>you made that up

Do you think you can jsut fucking apply to the UN and they'll read your resume and invite you for an interview?

You are incredibly delusional or trolling if you think that becoming a diplomat is almost entirely nepotism and connections.

>read a book/wikipedia

They don't do shit, they're just parasites.
>>
>>969550
>if you think that becoming a diplomat is almost entirely nepotism and connections.

Isn't*

>>969544
Why not just do Finance undergrad though? Whatever it's your choice...
>>
>>969423
gar
bage

but if you're almost done with it maybe you can use the degree to wipe your ass
>>
>>969553
I already have a BA.

I ran the numbers if I were to do a post-bacc degree in finance: $40,000 and takes two years plus summers.

MS in Finance, $31,000. One year.

An advanced degree that is cheaper and takes less time?

Or an undergrad degree that costs more and take longer?
>>
>>969574
I meant originally. You'd save a ton of time...
>>
>>969423
I'm minoring in it, but going to major in Economics.
best of luck to you
>>
>>969535
the program is quite different from mine though
>>
>>969535
god you're retarded, I hope you're trolling
>>
I got a BA in International Relations because
>It's interesting to me!
I didn't think about job prospects, my lack of connections, my family's lack of connections, and my lack of money to allow me to do unpaid internships.

Yeah, that's what fucked me, unpaid internships because there are hardly any paid internships in this major; to top it off most of the internships force you to move to DC or NYC for the duration of it...

Now, im taking a year or two after graduation to save some money and im going to go to graduate school because I HAVE to if I want any career in this field.

During my time in university I went abroad a couple of times for study abroad, and became fluent in Korean.

I'll likely study Finance or International Trade in grad school but I'm not sure yet.

To OP, I recommend adding on a dual major with something that pairs well with IR, such as Business Administration. My school offered a dual major with BA/IR but I was too stupid and hasty to graduate that I didn't do it.
>>
>>969423
IR and Econ double major here.

I started out as just a international affairs major because I wasn't sure what to study and I like reading about wars and politics. I realized however that the degree isn't the most practical and also majored in Econ, but I finished the IR degree because I had already finished most of the degree.

Like>>969722 said you need connections, go to a prestigious school and rich parents to support you while you during unpaid internships to get a good job in the field.

I wouldn't say it's completely "worthless" because on average IR majors tend to make the most out of liberal arts degrees.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/storyline/wp/2014/09/29/want-proof-college-is-worth-it-look-at-this-list-of-the-highest-paying-majors/

http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/info-Degrees_that_Pay_you_Back-sort.html

I have no idea why this is, a lot of people in my IR classes are complete morons. I know that consulting firms will sometimes hire IR majors, or people go to grad/law school but for those who don't I don't know what the hell they do.
>>
>>969703
>god you're retarded, I hope you're trolling

You didn't counter anything that I said.

Want to show me where I'm wrong and in reality those courses are actually high important and teach you marketable skills?
>>
>>969753

you are an insufferable cunt, do you really think you learn stuff for jobs in college? Even some STEM degrees you dont. You are tested on your ability to learn and socialize, then you get on the job training

>>Sem 1
>>-Peoples of the world
>Wow this will really be useful when getting a job. Be sure to tell your interviewer all about it!
could be nice info about things you have never heard of, useful for international people
>>-First year French
>Useless, studying French in school is dumb and will never get you to anywhere near the level of a native speaker. You need immersion.
and you also need classroom learning
>>-World Geography East
>Nice you know the topography and capitals of a few countries you could've googled. This is really worth it.
Geography also teaches you about recent histories of countries and political situations
>>-Political Ideologies
>Aka Multiculturalism and liberalism is good, Nationalism and "far-right" ideologies are bad because they're nazis who killed 6 trillion Jews.
you're projecting, may be biased but informative nonetheless

cont
>>
Sem 2
>>-First year French
>Useless as said above.
useful as said above
>>-Nationalism and Human Security
>What is the point of even learning this? How can it be applied to earning money or bringing value to people?
probably relevant info for a IR major
>>-International Organizations
>Highly useful Course as well, you're a shoe-in for any high paid executive position!
>>-American Foreign Policy
>Aka Blood for oil is bad boo hoo evil Americans killing poor Arabs
teaches about it's history, potential mistakes, strengths, etc discussed in a forum
>>Sem 3
>>-Second year French
>Useless
Useful
>>-World Geography West
>Cool I know countries in Latin America and can point them out on a map.
>>-Modern Germany
>Lol, why does this even matter?
A country that had history with an East vs the West clash which just recently got reunified? you're right, doesnt matter for an IR major
>>-Social Science Research
>"No"
not a reason, this looks like a guided research course, probably relevant info for a IR major
>>Sem 4
>>-Second Year French
>Useless
Useful
>>-Recent Europe
>Why
probably relevant info for a IR major, covering most major points and a forum for events
>>-Judo
>?????????????
some universities require a physical education credit, mine did. are you some sort of fatass?
>>-Self-Defense
>???????????????/////???///?????
same as above
>>-Topics in Public Policy: Social Movements
>Tumblr: the Course
probably informing people about shit that isnt on tumblr, id be pissed if they tought us about BLM or feminist movements desu
>>
>>969756
>>969759
It's a waste of money & time. It just teaches you the very basics of a bunch of social topics... It doesn't qualify you to do anything more.

>some universities require a physical education credit, mine did. are you some sort of fatass?

No I just would love to see "Relevant courses: I did judo for a semester" on someone's resume LOL.

2 years of French in University is NOTHING. There's people studying languages for 5+ years and they are still nowhere near the level of a native speaker, and would struggle quite hard to live a life using French regularly and not sound like students. - It's just pointless, you'll learn basic conversational French but what good does it do?

The amount of potential positions for an "international relations major" does not seem like very many in comparison to number of current students/graduates.
>>
>>969765
>yeah why even study a new language? I mean everybody in the world speaks English right? Everybody should adjust to me

also if you really think that you can't at least achieve a decent level of fluency within 3 years on a college level then sorry anon, I think you might just be legit retarded
>>
>>969773
>also if you really think that you can't at least achieve a decent level of fluency within 3 years on a college level

No you really can't. Go ask /int/ about what it takes to speak a language fluently.

It requires lots and lots of immersion and actually communicating with people in French regularly. You might learn to read a decent level but you will not be able to speak well at a level that would be useful for conducting business.
>>
>>969765
>you'll learn basic conversational French but what good does it do?
sets you up to learn more french, especially if you are proactive about learning see (>>969536). I have taken two languages with 2 years of college experience (my school required two languages) and I can say I am fluent in them due to me being proactive, never lived in the country but the whole time i shatposted on int and made friends on skype/steam/facebook and chatted with them all regularly in text and with voice/video

>No I just would love to see "Relevant courses: I did judo for a semester" on someone's resume LOL.
no one puts that on a resume, nice strawman

>The amount of potential positions for an "international relations major" does not seem like very many in comparison to number of current students/graduates.
what is competitive market? what is getting a job not in your field? degrees show you can finish stuff, when hiring someone they want someone who can finish stuff. Not some asshat who dropped out of college or never attempted and claimed it was a scam

>It's a waste of money & time. It just teaches you the very basics of a bunch of social topics... It doesn't qualify you to do anything more.
maybe for you, but there are plenty of successful IR graduates, not to mention it's not a bad prelaw degree (like pol sci, philosophy)

i am sorry but you are retarded if you are this close minded and dense to not see the points me and others have made defending the degree
>>
>>969779
I speak 5 languages, I know what it takes to learn a language. Immersion is important, but only after you got a good basic understanding otherwise it's pretty much useless. Regular classes+self studying for a period is definitely enough to get on a level where you can hold a normal conversation. Add an exchange in France or Canada and it's certainly enough for conducting business.
>>
>>969773
>>969780
Enjoy your unemployment senpaitachi :)

I look forward to see your post somewhere on the internet along the lines of: "Ok guys I graduated with a worthless degree and I can't find a job for 8 months now, I'm working at the local supermarket but this really sucks especially because I'm 50k in debt, any advice for me? also general financial failure thread"

lmao tbqh
>>
>>969788
god you completely adapted the /biz/ mentality that any degree other than >muh STEM Mustardrace is useless

Don't be such a mindless sheep anon
>>
>>969788
I actually am STEM and make 90k at 24, try again. I am just not an ignorant asshole that doesn't see how non STEM majors are useful.
>>
>>969793
>>969795
The STEM mustardrace meme exists for a reason.

Non-STEM have significant problems with employment and tend to be making much less and have much less growth and branching out compared to STEM majors.

Of course there is exceptions but the rule remains.
>>
>>969423
Government and International Relations here, w/ a minor in Intelligence Analysis. My minor is the thing that will get me a job in the government.

I'm planning on entering the Foreign Service or another government agency and work my way up, I go to school around D.C. so I like to think I have better chance at a job because of connections.

Just a month ago I talked to the Director of the Operations Coordination at DHS and he said he does a lot of hiring and that I could give him a call whenever I would like.

It's really connections that make a difference in the poli-sci/gov world unfortunately, so that should be your primary goal.
>>
>>969806
Do you have something to back up these claims?

>>inb4, do you have something to show that international affairs isn't useless!?

If you looked at the links I posted here >>969747 you can see that people with International Affairs majors make pretty decent money considering that the field is not as rigorous as a STEM field.
>>
>>969810
I don't know if you meant to quote me because I didn't make a substantial claim. I've been immersed in this lifestyle for a while now, you need connections in the U.S. government to get a fucking job. Im not talking about you need an uncle in the CIA or anything, literally just a handshake and a good conversation with a higher up is enough for them to consider you and push your application through.
>>
>>969806

>It's really connections that make a difference in the poli-sci/gov world unfortunately, so that should be your primary goal.

If your system is anything like Australia's diplomatic corps, entrance is highly regimented with written exams and hard requirements for postgraduate degrees.
>>
>>969816
My bad I meant to post reply this to this guy whom I guess hasn't been to college>>969802
>>
>>969810
>>969829
I am currently studying Accounting, my family.
>>
>>969818
U.S. Foreign Service does have entrance exams, both written and oral, but getting your application through to even be considered takes an internship with the State Department or other gov't agency that deals with foreign policy or a connections within the St. Dept.
>>
So I have a Political Science International Relations BA. I loved it! I still do. I didn't get a job in it, but now I'm getting a Master's in Educational Technology and I love designing IR courses. Education is not a waste of time, but I'm not the super materialistic type who values my self worth by the brands I wear. However, it can be difficult to know things that others do not know about politics because the fullness of the truth made me angry. I even thought that I would have had a happier time if I simply had learned more about celebrities, cooking, fashion, and snagging a rich boyfriend. But, I am who I am and now I don't regret truth anymore.
>>
>>969854
Soo... i goin to be fucking poor. Thanks.
>>
>>969858

/biz/ has this obsession with studying only the field you intend to work in. Almost nobody works in their studied field. If you put some effort in, you'll be able to start a solid career for yourself somewhere.
>>
>>969883
>Almost nobody works in their studied field

So all those engineers and computer science majors start working in biochem and medicine? Interesting I haven't heard of that.
>>
>>969905

Last I checked, something like one quarter of college grads actually work in their chosen field.
>>
>>969481
It's about geopolitics and game theory as applied to not blowing up the world with nuclear weapons. You can get a job as a CIA analyst.
>>
>>969765
how old are you? you are acting like a fucking fedora tipping 18 year old who watched wolf of wall street and now feel like you're better than everyone else because you're majoring in finance. you have no idea what a huge, idiotic douche you sound like. fuck, step into the real world. I know people with degrees like this that are killing it right now. stop being an ignorant fag. it's annoying. get off of /biz/
source: I'm a finance major but not an ignorant dumb fag like you.
bye!
>>
>>970182
It is a useless major. It doesn't teach you anything besides several meme intro social science courses.

Can't wait until you retards graduate and realize it's completely useless but you're $50k in the hole and only qualified to suck dick outside of a McDonald's.
>>
>>969423

I have an IR degree, don't expect to much. some good things about it.

1. It's easy as fuck so you should get good grades.
2. People don't know it's easy as fuck so you won't get laughed out of the room like an english major.
3. Most HR people have no idea what it is so you can bullshit and make work something in relating to the job.
>>
>>970187

You would have to be pretty dumb not to get a scholarship for IR with how easy it is, mine gave me a free ride in college and I got stoned every fucking day.
>>
File: The Spice Must Jibun Wo.jpg (82KB, 800x453px) Image search: [Google]
The Spice Must Jibun Wo.jpg
82KB, 800x453px
Don't listen to these dumbass STEM-lords and business major cocksuckers. They don't know shit about shit.

An IR degree requires you to know at least one other language which opens up opportunities to teach English abroad or to translate, qualifies you for work in everything from intelligence agencies to corporations doing international business, and depending on your school typically has enough economics courses built in to qualify you for a minor in that field. It's a pretty cool degree, but it has specialized applications. If you didn't bother to research them first and make sure that they are of interest to you then that's your problem.
>>
>>970190
>You would have to be pretty dumb not to get a scholarship for IR with how easy it is, mine gave me a free ride in college and I got stoned every fucking day.

Doing something because it's easy and getting high instead of networking and doing internships sounds like a good way to not get a good job.

>>970192
Teaching English abroad is saturated as fuck and the pay is trash nowadays. You also don't need a degree for it.

Working for "intelligence agencies" and "international business" is almost entirely dependant on your connections rather than major. Those positions are incredibly competitive and there isn't all that many of them.

You're not going to be working in the UN because of your major in Interracial Intercourse, only because your daddie knows someone's someone and is high up there himself.
>>
>>970192
Why wouldnt they just hire a Dutch/Belgian/Luxembourgish person who speaks or can be taught four languages in a matter of weeks.
>>
>>970194

You've already admitted to not knowing shit about shit upthread. Why do you insist on the farce that you know anything about anything?
>>
>>970194

>good way to not get a good job.

No I have a job, I'm not saying it's the most lucrative degree in the world, but it is definitely better than nothing and the good grades make it easy to get into grad school.
>>
Interracial Relations is a great major. I know several people who graduated with average GPAs(3.4 or so) and now they're working in government and international trade positions.

It's really a useful major because it branches out into so many areas covering a little bit of everything. Which is definitely something employers look for. Over 85% of the 3rd year IR majors also had internships and most were over $60k.

Overall very worth it, I regret not studying it...
>>
>>970192
This.

It's one of the highest paid degrees...

STEM autists who think they're so smart because they know multivariable calculus are pathetic. They'll keep working for a shitty manager all their life while social science majors enjoy a fulfilling career and actually making a difference in the world.
>>
Double-majoring in History/Political Science for law. How'm I senpai?
>>
>>970196
More like Swiss people, they can speak 4 languages fluently most of the time (French, Italian, German, English). Dutch people aren't that fluent in German and French as they used to be. The younger generation can speak English remarkably well but lack the necessary skills to be fluent in French, German is alright though and can be learned in about a year I think.
>>
>>970247
Any language can be learned in a year if the person spends time on it outside of his courses, which usually is only the case with people who study it for themselves instead of as a school subject.

But considering Dutch and German can often be directly translated with little adjustment and they get German in school they probably wont need more than immersion to learn it.
>>
>>969581
Is this even a possibility?
Could be interesting to specialize in Economics or something related
>>
Why are the internships related to this major usually unpaid anyways.

Take this one for example: https://www.globaljobs.org/jobs/5064-new-york-united-nations-conference-on-trade-and-development-unctad-office-3-internship-positions-in-international-relations

>The three positions are located in the Office of the United Nations Conference for Trade and Development (UNCTAD) in New York. The Internship Programme is unpaid and full-time, i.e. an intern is expected to work five days per week (9.00 am to 5.00 pm). The period of these internship positions will be of four months starting in April 2016.

Do most people studying IR win the sperm/egg lottery and were born into money?
>>
>>970272
Yes or they're unemployed.
>>
>>970272
They want people who are wholly dedicated to the field and are loyal to who they work for.
>>
>>970196

I was unaware that Europeans commonly spoke Mandarin or Arabic.

>>970255

Virtually all IR majors spend at least a semester abroad learning their language of choice in a fully immersive environment.

>>970272

You don't intern for the fucking UN unless you're rich. You intern for the CIA, State Department, or some other agency. Or you go ROTC then after doing 4 years slide into a civilian job making upwards of 80k.
>>
>>970194
You do know there is literally a MBA called International Finance right?

Also everyone's freshman year looks stupid on paper because they expect you to be 18, not know anything, barely out of your parents house, they don't want to overwhelm you.

You are expecting too much because Junior year is when college degrees really ramp up usually. You have to begin doing internships, begin your thesis (maybe), second year French is a LOT harder then it sounds.... you are judging only on what you see so you have this stupid confidence the degree is a joke, when he hasn't even gotten into a real university yet still in community college.
>>
>>969535
brilliant
>>
>>970187
And you're an accounting major. Reality is going to smack you hard in the face when you'll be lucky to get a $40,000 salary job after graduating. You literally know nothing, you're probably 18 years old. Not sure why you're so unhappy with your life that you give a shit about what others want to major in/do with their lives. Never seen someone so butthurt all over some thread like this on /biz/. You're fucking retarded, turn off the computer and go outside, socialize with people or something.
>>
>>970728
>Reality is going to smack you hard in the face when you'll be lucky to get a $40,000 salary job after graduating

>He actually thinks this
Try ~$50k starting and in a few years close $100k, then I get my CPA and start making actual money while you're still thinking of what to do to pay off your student loans.

>You're fucking retarded, turn off the computer and go outside, socialize with people or something

You're right, you'll have plenty of time to go outside and socialize with people when you're unemployed. I know it might be hard to believe some people have busy days where they need to work to earn a living instead of leeching off the government or their parents.
>>
>>970743
>then I get my CPA
You're gonna want to get your CPA probably within the year of graduation if you want to actually make any money. Most people who aren't dingbats are studying for the exam while they are still in college and taking the different levels while in school. You don't just get your degree in accounting and then you're set and can put off completing your CPA for a few years...lol. this just shows how little you know.
You must be a poorfag who desperately wants to break out of poverty and you're so butthurt that some people pursue majors/careers that interest them other than a horribly boring career as an accountant. You have to admit you're only in it for the money and accountancy is the most boring fucking way to spend your life.
I know a controller who makes 6 figures and not even he enjoys what he does. He is only in it for the money. It took a LONG TIME to crawl up the ladder to those 6 figures, I believe he told me his first job out of school was a salary of 30k. And now, he's pretty much at the cap of salaries an accountant can make.
If you want to make an endless stream of money, you should probably study finance. Investment banking is where the real money is. A little less boring and tedious than accounting is, too.
>>
>>970917
While I haven't worked in Accounting yet I actually like the courses. Seems pretty interesting and intuitive.

>He actually suggests Investment Banking over Accounting
Yeah sorry bro I don't want to work 80 hour weeks and make the equivalent of ~$15/hr when accounting for hours worked.
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.