[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If I resell pre-packaged food products within their expiry range,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: vlcsnap-2015-10-17-04h35m11s554.png (516KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2015-10-17-04h35m11s554.png
516KB, 1280x720px
If I resell pre-packaged food products within their expiry range, am I liable if they cause allergic reactions or were in some way contaminated at the source?
>>
>>968029
What country are you in. If your in America then your playing with fire.
>>
Maybe if you sell before the expiration date printed on the package and do not tamper with the packages in any way
>>
>>968029
I remember watching a TV show where this family buys a surplus food from a big store that sells it at a very low plus and is past the expiration date.
>>
Yeah. I've got the whole "do not sell expired food" thing under wraps, guys.

My customers would be overseas.
>>
>>968029
If anyone gets sick after using your product and blames you it is going to cause a legal tangle, even if it was before the expiry date.

Whether anything comes of it depends on how strong of a case they have which depends on the likelihood of your product being past the sell by date being the cause of their illness.

If you are selling dry goods in a waterproof packaging or canned goods they won't have a strong case, it is also unlikely they will get ill in the first place. If you are selling frozen goods (that may have been defrosted then refrozen at some point) they have a stronger case. Meat is much riskier, though canned meat products are unlikely to cause illness unless the can was damaged.

If you are selling dry pasta that walmart threw out for paranoid legal reasons but scientifically there is no reason it could cause illness, you are fine.

If you are selling dodgy looking frozen chicken you might want to pass unless you are a middle man selling it under the table.
>>
>>968073
It'll be a mail order business, so strictly non-perishables.

But the main thing I'm wondering is whether I get blamed or the company I bought from gets blamed.

If I sell a can of Coke with mercury in it, and no outside indication that something might be wrong, is it my problem or Coca Cola's problem?
>>
>>968093
It is the fault of whoever put mercury in the can.

That is an unlikely scenario, better not to worry about that and just look into laws in your area, what you can and can't sell past its use by or sell by date and common causes of food poisoning in the products you are selling and how to avoid it.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/mar/06/guide-to-food-date-labels

http://www.safefood.eu/SafeFood/media/SafeFoodLibrary/Documents/Education/safefood%20for%20life/ROI/Student-Notes.pdf
>>
>>968029
If you store it properly then sealed food should be safe. Basically store it in a cool dark area without any major temperature and humidity changes and you should be fine.

You might have to provide information about certain allergens.

If you sell a bag of peanuts without informing that it might contain nuts if it is packaged in a plant that package nuts. Then if a nut allergic eats it and gets an allergic reaction he could sue your ass.

Peanuts are legumes and not a nut. It is more similar to soy and other kinds of beans. It is more common that someone who is allergic to peanuts are also allergic to other legumes than being allergic to nuts.
>>
>>968029
>am I liable
Yes, it's a sin and you might end up in hell after you die. Jesus records all of our sins, and we're all liable for them.
>>
>>968141
This. Don't be a douche
>>
>>968141
So what you're saying is... I should be careful about expiry dates, and take care that people don't get hit by bolts of lightning while battening upon my fine viands?
>>
Guys, I've gotten a little muddled on the expired food issue again. Was it "sell it" or "don't sell it"?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.