[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Holy fuck, I think I hate accounting. I'm a first year student

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: Little man with question mark.jpg (41KB, 347x346px) Image search: [Google]
Little man with question mark.jpg
41KB, 347x346px
Holy fuck, I think I hate accounting. I'm a first year student and also have accounting course. I mean I'm trying to be good at it but my midterm marks aren't top tier enough, but passed regardless. Should I avoid the accounting major? Should I get into financial services instead?

Thanks /b/ros
>>
bump for discussion
>>
>>964275

Looks like a little research could have gone a long way.
>>
>>964275
I was in accounting but I just switched to finance. Not because I wasn't good at it, but I went to a couple of networking events and was surrounded by asian robots and patels and could not picture myself fitting in with them. Not sure if finance will be better, but I'm looking at pursuing the Certified Financial Planner designation, I really like talking to people and trying to help them. If you can't get intro accounting I'd get out now.
>>
>>964275
>>964299
Fuck I'm worried this will happen to me.

I kind of like accounting but I'm just not positive it's for me based on what some people say.

Was considering between Finance and Accounting, but Accounting seemed better to me imo because more applicable to things not only accounting and it feels really intuitive.
>>
>>964299

yeah i think i would enjoy helping people verbally and helping making decisions and stuff. For now I have common courses and I have to choose elective courses for next semester so Idk yet....marketing, management, hr or accounting or supply chain electives..
>>
>>964299

maybe i'll pick supply chain course next semester as elective as i haven't taken that in my current first semester, to see what's it like
>>
>>964306
I just switched now in my fourth semester. The first four semesters at my school are all common business courses then you start to specialize from semesters 5-8. Your school is probably similar, so you can probably switch without losing any time.
>>
>>964315

really? my common courses are only 2 semesters, so you're probably studying for a degree and i'm studying BA diploma, then rest of semesters i specialize in
>>
>>964275
If you hate it now, then I can guarantee that it's not going to get any better at all. It took me longer to start disliking certain aspects of it, but it affected me quite a bit and I had to push through certain aspects. Seriously, if you can't get behind the basics and other stuff (enjoy it), then do something else. Please do something else. You'll appreciate it.
>>
Switch to finance. You can get any accounting job with a finance degree.
>>
>>964340
The opposite tbqh. Most everyone will say you can get Finance jobs with accounting degree
>>
>>964339

yeah dude i'm having problems with debit/credit, journal entries, adjusting -- apparently i'm doing it all wrong on test omfg lol
>>
>>964345
If you only hate it because you don't understand it, then take some time. It can be difficult for some students because double entry accounting can be seriously outside of most practical reasoning or systems they've come across before. It can take a little bit to get your head around it, but when you do, it'll be obvious. If it never does click, then get out of it as soon as you can, because you have to have a rock solid understanding of the basics while you move forward.

I remember hating it a little in the beginning because they threw too much at me at once (like you're introducing entries, gj, formula, and reports, p/l, etc. all at the same time and being like have fun? fuck you... was my initial hate for it). But then I caught on and loved it. It's a system and process for working data, and I love that shit. If you don't like that line of things (compiling and working with data and interpreting it), then move on. But don't feel stupid because you're having a hard time early on. Get help, look for other sources that might explain it differently and will resonate with you.
>>
File: legday.gif (35KB, 180x220px) Image search: [Google]
legday.gif
35KB, 180x220px
>>964348
not him, but do you have any websites or books you suggest?
I kind of want to prep myself before I start my accounting classes next year so it's not all absolutely new. At least learn some of the vocab so the class is easier
>>
>>964358
I honestly don't, because I didn't have a lot of problems with it and had good textbooks. You could honestly go to a bookstore and scan around to see if there are any good books (there is a big financial/accounting section at most stores). Find one that seems up your alley with the basics and you can find it on Amazon or the library or something. I've actually picked up a 'for dummies' book before on a certain topic because it hit the basics of a subject I needed better than the other books that were available.
>>
>>965179

i think my instructor sucks though because we don't really do a lot of reading in book, we don't really cover stuff in book but we just rely on her teachings and stuff
>>
>>964275
>>964345
If you can't maintain a 3.0+ GPA in your accounting classes, the degree will be a waste of your time, literally.

>>965421
That's how all of my accounting classes are taught as well. They don't use the book very much, just references here and there.
As a student you're expected to read the book regardless. I don't. No one really does. But it would probably help you.
>>
File: 1374837030373.jpg (44KB, 451x392px) Image search: [Google]
1374837030373.jpg
44KB, 451x392px
>>964299
Big 4 auditor here, you fell for the "hurr durr le networking meme", no one gives a fuck about who you know, managers and partners only care about how good you are.

Knowing all the partners from all the fucking big 4 firms through the whole world won't save you from getting fired because you're a lil bitch that can't handle bussy season.
>>
>>965421
I didn't consider that, but I remember having a shitty instructor in one of my later class sets and yeah, that makes a HUGE difference on your level of understanding and frustration. So good luck looking for outside resources or other people. Do get her hours outside of class and let her know you don't understand and make her expand upon her explanations.
>>
>>965492
What are you on about? There are enough "good" students graduating with "good" GPA's and had a "good" internship that in order to stand out and get a job in the first place, a lot of people have to know how to network. Or they network to not get the shittiest of shit initial jobs. It's not about keeping it; it's about getting it and getting ahead.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.