[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/biz/ Approved Degrees

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 2

File: stalin_zoolander.jpg (75KB, 500x672px) Image search: [Google]
stalin_zoolander.jpg
75KB, 500x672px
Hey /biz/, I'm a high school student, soon to be graduating. I want to go into the field of business economics, and finance. I know, "Google it", etc., but I just want your opinion. Useful degrees? Degrees with most versatile application in the job market? Dos/Don'ts? Jobs to aim for? Things to research/read?
>>
>>957010
Liberal Arts aim for deepfryer operator
>>
>>957010
Unless you get into a top 10 program, don't do it OP. Do STEM and you'll have an advantage over the Finance/Econ grads for the same jobs.
>>
>>957089
I'm interested in the field though. What would be the best way to go about being in that field? I don't want to go for the STEM meme, I don't care for it.
>>
>>957098
Major in Math and Finance or Math and Economics or Statistics and Economics. I'm doing Math and Economics, have 2 offers at 70K+ on graduation. Feels good man. People only doing one are usually offered around 50-60K. Sometimes less.
>>
WOOOOOOOOWWWWW I FUCKING LOVE DEGREE THREADS THANKS FOR MAKING ANOTHER ONE HAHA EVERYTHING BUT STEM IS SHIT RIGHT GUYS??? FUCK >>>/adv/ WHAT DO THEY KNO?????? MAKE ANOTHER DEGREE THREAD ON BIZ xDDDDDDDXDXXXDXXXXXXXDDDDDD
>>
>>957108
Interesting. What positions are you eligible for? How's the growth in the job market?
>>
>>957111
Fuck off, if you don't like the thread, leave.
>>
The degree that will give you the most options is finance. You can get a job almost anywhere with a finance degree and some internships at good companies
>>
>>957211
working 80 hrs a week for somewhere around minimum wage average desu
>>
>>957010
I'm doing Biz/ finance and communication. There is not point in making the next uber or whatever if you cant talk about it.
>>
>>957117
I think his issue is that there are 10 of these a day on an already slow board. This is better fit for /adv/ and is related to /biz/ only tangentially.
>>
>>957010
math + econ or stem+ econ

can do at the same time or undergrad and grad. just don't do econ only UNLESS its mathematical econ at a good school. lesser schools won't have mathematical econ so math + econ and grad school
>>
Electrical engineering
>>
>>957010
Honestly you'll be fine taking just finance or econ at a decent uni, not being retarded, and fighting for internships. But, if you want to keep up with the industry, STEM and business dual is the way to go
>>
>>957098
dont think of it as a meme. its just a lot of the people on this website who are in stem are nerds who cant find any other way to express their value.

a stem degree could be really good for your goals and interests, whatever they are.
>>
>>957010
Supply chain Management/Industrial engineering and finance.

Then join a consulting firm or start your own.
>>
do either econometrics or actuarial science (or do something else and pass the actuarial exams completely on your own, this is really hard)

You can't go wrong with either of them, statistics is also a good alternative
>>
File: 1445511520885.jpg (134KB, 788x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1445511520885.jpg
134KB, 788x1000px
The problem is, I want to work primarily in the field of economics/business/finance. I know that STEM is arguably superior, and I'm not averse to taking STEM, but I want to work with money and business; partly because that kind of thing interests me, partly because I hope to run my own business sometime in my future, and see working in this sector as a possible preparation for that. Also, yeah, CEO memes, but a management position like that would be a dream for me... and the business field is where I have an opportunity (if only that) to rise to such a position. Hearing some of your opinions on this would be useful and interesting.
>>
>>959615
>>959283
why don't you just fucking take my advice?
>>
I am studying applied mathematics. I don't understand how people can recommend doing a double major in economics AND math. I'm already busting my ass learning to stay top of my class, how the fuck do people do 2 degrees at once?
>>
>>960829
I'm not discounting your advice mate... thanks for the help, I'll look into it.
>>
>>960829
Would a combination of economics/statistics be better then actuarial science?
>>
>>957108
This, this, this, so much this.

Although if you're good at STEM do that.
>>
>>960892
Econ major math minor.

It's a killer combination.
>>
>>961323
I'm doing the opposite. Math major econ minor
>>
First of all, i wouldn't even consider trying to get a good job without a Masters degree. The market is flooded with Bachelors now, it takes grad degrees to really set you apart because you're covering more applied topics at a higher level.

>>960892
Lol you don't go from 12 to 24 hours, you just stay an extra two or three lomg semesters to get the extra hours

>>961323
>>961383
>>957108
And these guys know what's up.
>>
I'm going to uni to do genetics & pharmacology, should I then major in econ? Or minor in econ? Or what
>>
>>957010
Say, what's /biz/'s thoughts on maths degrees? I'm thinking of the PhD route or actuarial work, where can I learn more?

As for STEM careers advice, be warned... here's my perspective from a maths student point of view:
IT work is a possibility, but fuck that I imagine anyone who knows what 4Chan is knows enough about computers to understand why IT work is shit.
Engineering for maths graduates is a myth, I can provide proof upon request, but to make a long story short - YOU CANNOT get into engineering without an engineering degree, so maths students can only get into it by doing a masters in engineering. I hope you like tuition fees.
General finance (assurance, audit, consulting, tax, etc) - avoid it like the plague. If you go to any above average uni, you'll see the Big 4 advertising heavily, to the point where they're often voted the best graduate recruiters. It turns out that they're accepting applications from ANY FUCKING DEGREE. Let that sink in for a moment, it'd be hard for you to compete with people with finance degrees, but now you're having to compete basically everyone. Good fucking luck with that. Pro tip, their intern turnover rates are over 90%. Good luck getting the internship (it's just as impossible as getting the job).
Teaching (below college level) - fuck no, why would I want to teach people who don't even want to be their? The pay's shit as well.
Teaching (above college level) - that's a good backup plan, for obvious reasons.
PhD, and then go into research - my current plan, but /sci/ will tell you all about the problems >>>/sci/7637649
Obscure parts of finance (e.g. actuarial work, insurance shit) - that's my main backup plan, I'm looking to learn more, at least I'll only be competing with STEM graduates.

>>957221
But /adv/ is a shit board for any advice that isn't your love life, seriously, go post their about anything other than your gf dumping you and your thread will die with at best 5 replies.
>>
>>962236

>Teaching (below college level) - fuck no, why would I want to teach people who don't even want to be their? The pay's shit as well.

Australian here, I'm possibly going to take a teaching diploma here for 1 year, next year. The starting pay is apparently 60k AUD per year in any public school and only goes up from there, in my opinion that is not so bad. Maths teachers are also wanted here so getting employed shouldn't be hard either. To put up with people who don't want to be there? well I guess let them slack off in the class.

I think a phd is good to get, however you need to take a hard long look at what you would be doing and how it applies to the real world.
>>
>>957010
Major in political science. You will be much more versatile to employers
>>
Thanks for the help guys... what about getting an MBA with statistics/math somewhere in there?
>>
>>962236
not sure where you're located but the big 4 isn't *that* competitive in the UK and mathematics degrees are well regarded

big 4 firms employ actuaries and it is often very well paid there as you're a billable resource - slightly longer hours than insurance companies but they still get the usual extra time off for studying, exams etc..

I think another option is to do an MSc in Statistics or Machine learning and look at data science roles - this area is going to be in demand for a while and there simply aren't enough people to fill the roles - further to that, of the people attempting to fill these roles a fair few are computer science grads who lack sufficient mathematics/stats background

a good post grad degree in Statistics or an academically rigorous machine learning degree (not just one aimed at blindly applying techniques) ought to put you in a good position
>>
>>962883
if you're in the UK then aim to study machine learning at one of Cambridge, Edinburgh or UCL

otherwise study statistics at any of the above - or: Oxford, Warwick, Bristol, Imperial, LSE

UCL has a combined stats and machine learning MSc - it is probably one of the best courses you can take in this area and is taught by world class researchers... google's 'deep mind' was founded by academics from UCL
>>
>>962881
Maybe... econ into MBA with math/statistics minor? Looking into what unis offer here in Canada...
>>
>>960892
I'm doing three subjects, one of which is econ (I do the work that full-time econ students do). Not majors or minors as i'm in the UK but a joint degree.

Also I do hardly any work or study and still pass with 3.0 GPA. It's doable, quite easily desu senpai.
>>
>>963318
um... I didn't intend to put desu denpai at the end of my comment but for some reason, it put it there?
>>
>>960892
Also, I didn't realize you wanted to be top of your class. When I say that I can do the work of all 3 constituent degrees, I mean I can do it to a relatively high level but rarely in the top echelons of scores. I measured my GPA (Don't use that metric) wrong. I get 60--70% which is a 2:1 or 3.33-3.66 (max mark 75 in normative studies).
Although you can do as well as the top 25% of your classmates (bear in mind they they study that topic as a whole and not 1/3 of their course) you have to put in ALOT of effort. If you intend to be the best of your class, then a joint degree isn't for you. You won't become the best in it, unless you ignore your other subjects and concern on one but if thats your plan why not just do one?
>>
>>957010
BS in econ with a double in IST
>>
This seems as good a place as any to ask. I just got an invoice for reassessment fees for a university I no longer attend, what would they do if I just ignored it?
>>
>>962883
>not sure where you're located but the big 4 isn't *that* competitive in the UK
I doubt that, like I said they're advertising at every good uni and they're letting fucking anyone apply, good luck.
>>
>>963318
>three subjects, one of which is econ
So PPE then?
>>
Thoughts on a finance/econometrics double major? As opposed to math, which I'm not sure is possible in my situation?
>>
i want to get rich do i major in accounting, finance or stem(computer science)
can i as a computer science major get any job in the world, including a finance job, or accounting?
>>
>>963424
>>
>>957010
>>>/pol/ itical science
>>
>>964160
kek
>>
>>963420
yes at essex
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.