[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /biz/ going to give a public service announcement cause

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: 1497539585186[1].png (286KB, 1655x927px) Image search: [Google]
1497539585186[1].png
286KB, 1655x927px
Hey /biz/ going to give a public service announcement cause some of you are alright. What happened with eth today provided a good lesson on why you need to be careful when margin trading. Reddit users got completely cucked because they didn't understand the implications of margin calls. Basically if a broker (in this case gdax) lends you money and you put it into crypto then they have the right to sell that crypto if the total value of it drops below maintenance margin (the amount of value you need to maintain after a trade). When a whale came and started selling like mad the price shot down and the value of peoples crpyto started to go below their maintenance margin which triggered gdax to sell it off which then caused a cascade effect to the point where gdax started selling people's eth for insane prices.

Here's a couple reddit crybabies for your reading pleasure.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CoinBase/comments/6ioj59/gdax_just_raped_me_out_of_10000/

https://www.reddit.com/r/CoinBase/comments/6ipdm0/the_hi_coinbase_are_you_going_to_repay_us_thread/

So remember, don't margin trade unless you absolutely know what the fuck you're doing.
>>
File: help_I_lost_all_my_ETH.png (44KB, 829x576px) Image search: [Google]
help_I_lost_all_my_ETH.png
44KB, 829x576px
should post this on reddit but downvotes make me cry
>>
>>2553472
Coinbase is cancelling the trades that caused the flash crash, though. Nobody's getting fucked.
>>
And another

https://www.reddit.com/r/ethtrader/comments/6iokzy/gdax_just_sold_a_good_chunk_of_my_ether_at_10/
>>
>>2553525
do you have a source?
>>
Good shit pede. Upvoted.
>>
Should I always keep low buy orders on exchanges with a little sum of money along with it to buy at events like the flash crash today?
>>
>>2553588
yes
>>
>>2553588
but understand that an event like this is extremely rare.
>>
>>2553588
>>2553686
This can only happen on exchanges that have margin lending I assume, since it forcefully liquidated their accounts due to ETH's temporary low price.
>>
>>2553472
Interesting. So this means that nobody bought ETH for 0.10, right? All the profits went to GDAX.
>>
>>2553855
No gdax sold the coins for fiat, the profit likely went to other whales who were in on it.
>>
>>2553889
i don't understand...
>>
>>2553889
>>2553930
Wait, I think I got it. So the price of ETH temporarily went down to $13, which lowered everyone's accounts values, triggering gdax to charge them fees to cover for their losses. Right?
>>
File: IMG_0095.png (21KB, 792x614px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0095.png
21KB, 792x614px
>>
>>2554001
I understand that part. A whale who bought ETH during the ICO dumped 39k ether, which filled everyone's purchase orders, driving ETH prices down. RIght?
>>
>>2553978
yes, gdax sold their crypto until their account value went back above the maintenance margin (often this lead to gdax selling off ALL of their coins).
>>
>>2553472
so say all my eth was sold off because of this event, do they have my back?

...or am I fucked?
>>
>>2555397
you're fucked
>>
>>2554024
plus the margin calls, because apparently there is a shit ton of people trading on margin that shouldn't be
>>
lmao /r/coinbase

I'm a retard who did margin calls, but I only did it with 25 bucks invested because I'm a new poorfag.

I am more retarded for not buying ETH at $16 dollars
>>
https://blog.gdax.com/eth-usd-trading-update-5d8142b5bdc1

"Our initial investigations show no indication of wrongdoing or account takeovers. We understand this event can be frustrating for our customers. Our matching engine operated as intended throughout this event and trading with advanced features like margin always carries inherent risk.
We are continuing to conduct a thorough investigation and will keep customers updated with any resulting actions. With that in mind, it is important to note that these trades are final in accordance with our GDAX Trading Rules (Section 3.1). Honoring properly executed orders is critical to maintaining the integrity of an exchange."
>>
>>2556211
Normies BTFO
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.