[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | | Home]

Everything is a waste of money.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: BreadCat.jpg (139KB, 1023x682px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
BreadCat.jpg
139KB, 1023x682px
Speaking broadly. Why did it take me til my 29th birthday to realize that half the shit I usually buy is fucking pointless? Thankfully, a lot of the stuff (older and collectable comics and game memorabilia) resales well, so I'm managing to scrape some cash back, but it's like a switch that has been flicked in my head.

Is this growing up and getting financially responsible? I don't even have the desire to buy useless shit that would have been something I 'needed' a few months ago.
>>
>>1843536
You hardly need anything in the modern world.

A laptop, smartphone and clothes is pretty much all I bother with.
>>
>>1843536
I understand that feeling. I usually try to spend my money on experiences rather than items. After the Xbox 360 came out and i had about 60 useless games that wouldn't read it hit me a little not to buy so much shit.

I also always try to put at least %10 away each month.
>>
>>1843536

Think of all the money you would save if you kys by not having to buy food or housing

But seriously, unplugging yourself from Nosebergstein's matrix, aka The American Dream, is the first step to self actualization.

Buying shit you don't need, with money you don't have, to impress people you don't like, is the hallmark of the poor and middle class.
>>
Am i fool for spending my hard-earned cash on quality clothing which will last me longer?
I am talking 125EUR+ dress shirts and 500-700EUR good leather shoes.
>>
>>1843582
What happens when you eat too many burgers and have to buy bigger shirts?
>>
>>1843582
Eh as long as you actually use those shoes for a while. I'd say 5 years for 500 euro shoes. Might as well buy a cheaper shirt and get it tailored tho fro that price.
>>
>>1843584

I have been an honorary /fit/izen for 8 years now, i watch my weight and i am not american
>>
>>1843536

Are you implying that Warhammer is pointless? Comic books arn't pointless either. Not everything in the world is based on resell value but on the value it brings into your life.

For some people it just so happens to be comic books, I know I treasure my #1 Issue of Red Hood & The Outlaws.

Try not being such a depressive and maybe wait a week just incase you have a *(pointless) purchase.
>>
>>1843536
There's a balance here, that's the true mark of adulthood. Your life is shit if you aren't enjoying it. As you've realized, yes, no shit everything costs money. Your very existence costs money, both to yourself and those around you. Obviously being smart with money means that maybe you shouldn't spend money every day on "useless" items but what the fuck is your life without things to entertain you (which costs money) good things to eat (which costs money) ect ect. I'm financially secure (all on my own) but I didn't do it by being a money hoarder. I enjoy things, I spend money where I find enjoyment and continue to save otherwise. This shit isn't hard. In short, it's not that everything is a waste of money; it's that everything costs money.
>>
>>1843582

Not as long as you're actually buying quality products instead of cheap chinese crap that is marked up 10,000% because it has a particular name brand on it.

A 125 euro shirt that you have tailored is going to be far better in terms of quality and looks than a 1k shirt you bought off the rack from a big name retailer.

Most people would never buy $500 shoes that can be recrafted, but they'll buy a new pair of cheap mall shoes that fall apart before the end of the year
>>
>>1843582
>I am talking 125EUR+ dress shirts and 500-700EUR good leather shoes
This is not consumption but investment in your personal brand. They will yield you higher paying jobs and make you look more competent.
>>
>>1843567
eh, take the redpill. im a monk and all i have is the loin cloth that wraps my body. i use burger kings computers and wifi
>>
>>1843536
Careful, that's the final step before realizing the pointlessness of life and existential depression.

As others have said, it's about balance. Buy the things you really want and enjoy, otherwise why the fuck are you slaving away for money?
>>
>>1843536
Yeah anon, I mean I just bought myself all the quality foods I ever wanted and I still feel empty inside. The taste and the memory of the taste just passed out immediately. The lack of money in my pocket also didn't make me feel negative or numb, I just felt meh, is this how weak and pointless money is? What the hell am I living for inside this human body if I can't feel anything?

Now how about you take my hand, give me your wallet and I put you in your grave where you belong? ;) 4 free
>>
>>1843582
im incrddbly attracted anon
>>
>>1843536

Not everything is an investment. You don't go on holiday for a good return on investment.

Work hard enough to have enough money to enjoy life. Living on bare minimums so that you can pay a mortgage is no life.
>>
>>1843536
It's called becoming jaded, as it turns out maturity makes people realise that most of the things that they thought were worth their time actually aren't.

Case and point; old video games that are actually super boring.

Things that never get old: getting drunk.
>>
>>1843592

Well, I would rather keep a small force in Warhammer for games I might actually play occasionally and shift the large army I amassed and have never used more than a third of. I would also argue that comics served as a distraction from the lack of meaning, than actually providing it, but that's a different conversation. Instead I'll put it this way; if I keep two shelves of high quality trades, and sell the two shelves of dross I bought for the sake of having them, it feels right to do so suddenly.

>>1843593
>>1843731

Don't get me wrong, I'm not throwing out the baby with the bath water. My car and computer will still get their share of money; my car lets me go where I want, when I want, and on my Steam list I have more games than I could play at this point, with more coming in from Humble and the occasional release I pay full price for.

I'm keeping things that are important to me, it's just sort of hit me that owning something doesn't give it any inherent value to me, and the money I spent might have better gone elsewhere.

But it's something that pretty much happened overnight. A few months ago, I was literally building a library of saved tabs of shit to buy that would have just sat on shelves collecting dust, while I replayed Vampire: Bloodlines for the twentieth time.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]
Please support this website by donating Bitcoins to 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
If a post contains copyrighted or illegal content, please click on that post's [Report] button and fill out a post removal request
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows an archive of their content. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.