[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey, low chance of this working but are there any millionaires

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 18

File: wup.jpg (19KB, 240x308px) Image search: [Google]
wup.jpg
19KB, 240x308px
Hey, low chance of this working but are there any millionaires here? Heck, does anyone have 500k in the bank? How did you do it? Would you be willing be a mentor to me? we can trade throw-away emails. If not, just post here. I like talking to people who have made it
>>
bump for interest
>>
>>1778168
I'm a millionaire. I don't usually have more than $3k in the bank. Millionaires don't have piles of cash sitting in a bank. That would be silly.

we usually have a house or two and a business. Sometimes our houses and our business are the same thing.
>>
>>1778194
So your net worth is a million +. I've always wondered about that. Only around 3k though? What if your assets suddenly drop in value or depreciate ? I feel like id always want a lot in the bank at all times. Anyway, what do you do? I'm guessing real estate?
>>
>>1778194
Why would that be silly?
>>
>>1778210
>What if your assets suddenly drop in value or depreciate ?
then I won't be a millionaire. which won't change a thing.
>what do you do?
I'm the ubiquitous and annoying retired environmental contractor that hangs out here all day every day.
>Why would that be silly?
because cash loses value to inflation. Its only advantage is liquidity. You don't get to be a millionaire or stay a millionaire by holding wads of cash. It needs to be out working for you.
>>
>>1778214
Oh I must not have been around /biz/ enough to have noticed you. I'm guessing you spent years saving and investing a decent chunk of your salary? What does contracting itself entail?
>>
>>1778222
>I'm guessing you spent years saving and investing a decent chunk of your salary?
I spent one year working for free to buy my business. Other than that, no. I don't save or invest. My worth comes from paying down my house and keeping a certain level of sales in my business.
>What does contracting itself entail?
Set up a business to do a certain task. Find people that need that task done. Sign a contract with them to do the task for a set amount of money. Do the task as quickly and cleanly as possible. Get paid. Lather, rinse and repeat.

In my case I have a small crew of people that provide janitorial and environmental services to businesses and governments.
>>
>>1778214
And I don't know...I feel like if you have enough of it, the inflation would be negligible. I'm a poorfag right now anyway so what do I know lol
>>
>>1778230
Oh I that vaguely rings a bell. Do you have a college degree?
>>
>>1778232
>I feel like if you have enough of it, the inflation would be negligible
most millionaires don't have that much.

realize in a lot of places a million bucks barely covers the cost of your house. And generally you're better off paying off your house than sitting on a million in cash. Not always, but generally.

So we'd expect most millionaires to be nothing more than home owners in California and other HCOL areas.
>>
>>1778237
I have mentioned in the past that I studied geology.
>>
>>1778241
I think that maybe I just have the fantasy of to being able to look at that million dollar number on my bank app and feel like I've made it. More symbolic than practical. Yeah I have heard that a million isn't really much anymore in many areas. It would be enough for me to pay off my loans and help out the family a bit.
>>
>>1778246
It's pretty middle class where I live. A house in my town is worth $300k to $400k, so anyone that has paid off a house is well on their way to a million here.
>>
>>1778230
>I spent one year working for free to buy my business. Other than that, no. I don't save or invest. My worth comes from paying down my house and keeping a certain level of sales in my business.

Ok I've read this and I'm not sure what you mean. Could you elaborate on this more?
>>
hi op, tell me a little bit about yourself.
>>
>>1778252
Move to the midwest and you can live in a castle with a moat and drawbridge for a million dollars. Basically anywhere there is an Amish population
>>
>>1778253
I bought my business by working for free for the former owner for a year. She was doing $75k per year in cleaning and environmental work mostly by herself. I did all her work for a year and she kept the money. At the end of the year she signed the business over to me.

Regarding how I calculate my worth, a portion of it is equity in my house. I own a house worth about $300k, I owe the bank $100k on it. So I have a couple hundred thousand in equity in my house.

the remainder is mostly the value of my business. On most days I have over a million dollars worth of contracts I own. That million is just the gross, the contracts are actually worth somewhat less than that. But combined with my home equity my worth is easily over a million dollars.

on paper. I've never had a million dollars in my bank account and unless I sell my house and business I probably never will.
>>
File: qc449.jpg (117KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
qc449.jpg
117KB, 480x640px
>ITT roleplaying NEET
>>
>millionaire environmental contractor
>janitor
>janitor
>janitor
>janitor
>janitor
>janitor
>>
lol @ thinking a millionaire would have enough time to waste in a place like this.
>>
>>1778271
I'm retired, I have all the time in the world.
>>
>>1778270
ha, you're a retard.
>>1778271
half right, they tend to be on other boards.
>>
"I'm a millionaire janitor who happens to browse 4chan."
>>
Our latest round of finance put the company's valuation north of 5mil. I'm really surprised by how fast everything has gone and I still kinda feel like I'm getting away with something. 6 months ago we were just three friends programing and researching.
Really far away from even 50k in the bank although my networth is over 2mil. I don't care or value fast cars or spending money and I only really work so I don't need liquid cash...
>>
>>1778265
thats an interesting chain of events and doesnt seem easily replicable. I figure most success stories are that way.

Are you're bringing in a lot over 75k yearly now? When you say contracts you own, you mean over the course of a year or more? Meaning you have contract from companies for your services over the course of a year or so? sorry for dumb questions
>>
>>1778212
Because money sitting in a bank doesn't make money for you. It makes money for the bank
>>
>>1778278
nobody ever seems to doubt the janitor part.

and you know for a fact I'm in my 40's and browse /biz/. So all we're left with is whether or not you believe I'm a millionaire. Which as I've pointed out, isn't really an extravagant claim for anyone that owns a house and a business that supports them.
>>
File: 31d.jpg (55KB, 600x626px) Image search: [Google]
31d.jpg
55KB, 600x626px
>garbage man
>on 4chan
>"millionaire"
>no proof
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_razor
>>
>>1778280
What is your company
>>
>>1778281
>thats an interesting chain of events and doesnt seem easily replicable.
yeah, I don't see it happening for most people.
luck was a significant factor there.
>Are you're bringing in a lot over 75k yearly now?
not really. My business grosses between $200k and $400k per year cash.
>When you say contracts you own, you mean over the course of a year or more?
5 years is our average. That's where my worth comes from. A one year contract for $50k is worth exactly $50k. A 5 year contract for $50k per year is worth closer to $250k.
>Meaning you have contract from companies for your services over the course of a year or so?
yes, most of my contracts with any value are for services to be provided for 5 years or more.
>>
>>1778280
>Our latest round of finance put the company's valuation north of 5mil. I'm really surprised by how fast everything has gone and I still kinda feel like I'm getting away with something. 6 months ago we were just three friends programming and researching.
>programming
This is my problem; my damn adhd. Anything involving math, programming, and other hard-skills is really hard for me. thats why I screwed up college. My dream goal would be to be in something like the contractor's position. I'd like to put myself through whatever I need to do to "make it", then cash out, spend the rest of my time studying what I really love.
>>
>>1778289
5 years seems mad. are these public sector contracts per chance? do you run a trial period or have a break clause?
>>
File: fireworks-dumb_white_trash1.jpg (26KB, 493x323px) Image search: [Google]
fireworks-dumb_white_trash1.jpg
26KB, 493x323px
>Obviously I'm a 40 year old garbage man with a huge house and a million dollars who browses 4chan. Why would I lie on the internet?
>>
>>1778280
If you want some advice I'd say try to find the right people who you can trust and use whatever skill that you're best at (it will help a lot if you use hyped technology).
Get out there, talk to people, talk to your target market and development mvps. Lean is great and should be your gospel, early cashflow is safety and an ability to attract the right people and communicate your vision is key.
>>
>>1778292
well like his position in the sense that he made it and retired from it.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (20KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
20KB, 480x360px
"My business grosses between $200k and $400k per year cash. Can I interest you in a 5 year contract? Excellent, let me transfer you to my assistant who will take your details."
>>
>>1778292
Well I don't really know how to help you then... I mean grit and hard work is important but hiring hard working and motivated people is kinda easy (at least from my limited experience). But what you're really looking to build is a vehicle of value creation.
>>
>inb4 our millionaire janitor has a hot young wife
>>
>>1778293
>are these public sector contracts per chance?
yes, you nailed it.

the average government service contract is 6 years, and 1/3 of my sales are in government contracts.

I encourage corporations to lock in prices for multiple years as well, it saves them money most of the time.
>>
>>1778292
>This is my problem; my damn adhd.
don't hide behind that shit. start doing and opportunities will arise. no need to spend years learning or thinking about things, start doing and learn what you need to achieve it along the way. 1. you will never think of all the angles beforehand, 2. life moves deceptively quickly.

spoiler: this kind of procrastination is why most of 4chan do NOT have the correct aptitude to be successful. thinkers not doers. that's not set in stone btw, you just need to adapt.

>>1778305
did you come from that background or was her mix roughly the same and you've just built on that?
>>
>>1778300
>But what you're really looking to build is a vehicle of value creation.
You know, I've had this idea for an app that I've started mockups/wireframe for. my friends/family say its good but you cant really trust them ya know? feel free to say no but could I possibly email you via a throwaway so you can bluntly tell me if its shit?
>>
>>1778308
>was her mix roughly the same and you've just built on that?
hers was pretty much the same. I think she may have had a larger amount of government work as a percentage of sales. Maybe half her sales were in government contracts.

What she didn't have was a lot of corporate jobs. She was doing mostly residential work instead. I dropped the residential side and went after corporate work more aggressively.

I try not to get too much government work unless private industry is tanking.
>>
>>1778308
you're right. I'm actually studying to pass my capm exam to hopefully get some acquire some useful skills applicable towards future ventures..

as far as adhd shit, I just know where my weaknesses are. I wont use it as an excuse to not do anything. but I will be able to work around it hopefully
>>
>>1778314
shit I hate phone typing. pardon the sloppiness.
>>
>>1778310
Sure I'll give you an email sometime tomorrow if you leave your info.

App ideas without an ability to execute are pretty weak though. Also just a disclaimer the technology business I'm a part of is quite far away from your everyday mom and pop consumer. We're much closer to enterprise and macro-scale data processing.
>>
>>1778313
hmm. the contract model seems very appealing. You essentially have years of income locked in from corporate and governmental clients. That's amazing. I wonder what other services there are that would entice such clients. B2B software is ideal but a no-go for a non-programmer + poorfag.
>>
>>1778322
IT services, HVAC services, Recycling, Trash removal, Landscaping, General maintenance, Snow removal, Equipment rental.

any recurring cost of maintaining a facility.
>>
>>1778322
You're limiting yourself so hard by saying stuff like that for 3 months we worked for free with only 5k as starting capital.
Get immersed into your local startup culture, they probably have great coaches and mentors who can advise you (we wouldn't have made it this far this fast without our mentors or the resources offered to us by the community).
>>
>>1778313
surprised you're doing 5 years contracts with commercial but fair play to you. i was looking at cleaning a couple of years ago, but the model i was going to use would've only worked for domestic which I had 0 interest in so abandoned the idea. either that or I would have had to drop significantly more money initially (to do with sales tax and employees vs self-employed contractors) just to test the waters.

>>1778314
i didn't mean that in a harsh way. as per >>1778281 ("not being easily replicable") ofc not, everyone and their situations is unique. as for studying and self improvement, focus on your core competency, whatever that may be
>>
>>1778322
>You essentially have years of income locked in from corporate and governmental clients.
this is a dynamic process though.

as the work gets done those contracts are worth less. So if I'm 4 years into a 6 year contract the thing is only worth 2 years of sales at that time. I run an average by rotating when contracts start. The value of my contracts changes daily.
>>
>>1778320
>App ideas without an ability to execute are pretty weak though
agree which is why op is actually probably right not to post it here. 99% of the time the old adage about ideas being cheap holds true, but posting about web stuff to tech savvy people is dumb. see: every seo who ever outed their site in the history of the internet
>>
>>1778267
>>1778270
>>1778278
>>1778284
>>1778294
>>1778299
>>1778303
you know it's easy to spot samefagging here
>>
>>1778330
>surprised you're doing 5 years contracts with commercial but fair play to you.
I'm the lowest bidder, I just tell them if they don't want the 5 year contract I may decide not to bid on it again in a year or I may raise my price. It pays for them to do longer contracts.

It does cost money to hire people, but most people do what I did-
start out self-employed and work up to hiring when you get enough work to pay for it.
>>
>>1778329
>startup culture
cancer. suppose it's useful if you don't know any ogs though.
>>
File: hvzztc.jpg (24KB, 495x372px) Image search: [Google]
hvzztc.jpg
24KB, 495x372px
>>1778335
>thinks I'm samefagging
>on a board with IDs
You're a special kind of special, anon. You belong in this thread.
>>
>>1778324
noted. especially

>any recurring cost of maintaining a facility.
makes a lot of sense. those costs aren't going away.

>>1778329
I lurk a lot in the online startup community. I should talk to some people irl, you're right.
>>
>>1778337
Maybe if you're not in tech, in that case vcs and lean mentality applies less to you. But if you're running a technology company the capital, advice, contacts and the talent that you can access through those networks is amazing.
>>
>>1778335
that's just Matthew.

He thinks I'm lying despite my obvious knowledge of government contracting, janitorial services, business management, and environmental regulation.

I think he has a crush on me.
>>
>>1778330
>focus on your core competency, whatever that may be
thats my issue. I feel as though I dont have one thats conducive to this. I love history, politics, art history, and religion. Me getting into anything lucrative feels like a joke. Sometimes I want to find a way to turn my passions into something lucrative. Other times, I feel like I want to just try my best to learn programming and fake it till I make it. Learn by brute force, then pivot to what I like when im financially free and my family is taken care of.
>>
>>1778347
oh, [email protected]
>>
>>1778336
basically every company with over £80k turnover has to be VAT (sales tax) registered here. you can claim paid VAT back off your VAT bill, ergo, literally nobody VAT registered would ever deal with somebody who wasn't, which applies to 99% of SMEs.. So would need to be VAT registered to deal with commercial off the bat. This costs £££ in accountancy because you have to do quarterly return.. Coupled with some other bs around my employee model and a £1k startup becomes £20k.

>>1778347
Yeah I can see the appeal as I said if you don't know any ogs.. Quite fortunate on that front so can afford to be turned off by the whole VC circlejerk.
>>
File: 2XIsGFUZyKqutLoJ.jpg (87KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
2XIsGFUZyKqutLoJ.jpg
87KB, 500x333px
>ITT: "We all rich business people. Email me and I teach you how to do a business."
>>
"Dear diary: Counting my money today. $999,996. $999,997. $999,998. Oh wait, gotta go post on 4chan. BRB!"
>>
>>1778353
the disadvantage is the high bar to entry.

the advantage is you get to raise your prices considerably because not as many people can compete.

we have a similar situation with government contracting in the US. It's extremely complicated and fairly expensive to get into. So the pay is higher than average.
>>
>>1778351
"money only matters when your broke"
t. kanye west

but seriously, bit of a catch 22 situation. imo pursuit of happiness is much more noble than pursuit of paper, which doesn't intrisically buy happiness apart from less worrying about the day-to-day..

try and get into an industry which doesn't completely crush your soul and figure out an angle/path from there. i spent literally years doing temporary/contract jobs btw figuring out my strengths and weaknesses.
>>
>>1778194

then ur not a millionaire.

source: a "millionaire" according to this scrub
>>
File: anxious-businessman.jpg (1MB, 5616x3744px) Image search: [Google]
anxious-businessman.jpg
1MB, 5616x3744px
>I'm rich janitor on 4chan. You believe me, right? Only rich janitor can use big words like "contract" "management" and "regulation". Obviously, me very smart. You believe me, right?

>You believe me, right?

>You believe me, right?

>You believe me, right?
>>
File: bush15vq.jpg (49KB, 591x600px) Image search: [Google]
bush15vq.jpg
49KB, 591x600px
"Hello, government? Is me, janitor. I empty trash now? Yes, and you pay me millions. Okey-dokey!"
>>
>>1778353
Wtf are you talking about, no vc would even look at some contracting company anyway. Scalability and technology are the names of the game not cleaning contracts...

Also I'm a bit unsure what you mean by "ogs" do you mean organizations? As in strategic partners co-funding?
>>
>>1778364
I feel like I want to start contributing the world in a relevant way to my interests asap. The sooner I can get rich, (get money out of the way asap) the more time I'll have to do that; especially at younger age. I'm 23 now and starting to lose hope in making it in time. I know im still young, but time seems like its starting to moving so much more rapidly than it used to. feels that way when you've wasted 18-21.
>>
>>1778375
>no vc would even look at some contracting company anyway.
they would, but not a cleaning company.

VC's are more interested in contractors that handle administrative services only.

People like me that bid the work and then hire other contractors to do it. But they want companies that bid all kinds of work, all over the world. There is actually a huge market for that, but it's a major operation to get into.
>>
File: 75379965 (1).jpg (79KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
75379965 (1).jpg
79KB, 384x384px
>It's not a lie. It's an alternative truth.
>>
>>1778375
can see how you've come to that from my post, but i'm no cleaner nigga. 100% tech. what i meant by that is i already know a lot of """angel""" types, who as you know, tend to be people worth listening to at the very least since they've 'been there, done that' themselves. i inherited these contacts as i said, so very lucky on that front.. but since I'm not exactly hard up for capital myself, nor am I trying to build the next facebook, i'm not trying to dig through their pockets.
>>
File: 293138_v2.jpg (71KB, 350x322px) Image search: [Google]
293138_v2.jpg
71KB, 350x322px
"BRB. Taking my millions to the bank."
>>
>>1778380
>they would, but not a cleaning company.
actually i think they would too if they weren't still reeling from getting their fingers burnt with homejoy etc etc

>>1778377
you are still young. no such thing as time wasted. move to nyc
>>
What I picture when the "millionaire garbageman" posts on 4chan....
>>
File: Lazy+fuckers_19c315_4067505.png (489KB, 960x717px) Image search: [Google]
Lazy+fuckers_19c315_4067505.png
489KB, 960x717px
>Wish I was posting on 4chan right now. Next thread, I'm going to pretend I'm a janitor AND a millionaire. That'll show 'em!
>>
>>1778389
>move to nyc
I imagine networking opportunities would be amazing there.
>>
>>1778406
I've never cringed so hard in my life.

Whether its a lie or not, its still feasible.

>OMG RICH GUY HAS FACEBOOK HAHAHA THATS NOT WHAT RICH PEOPLE DO

You sound like your garbage man father touched you when you where little or something. That or your the 16 year old around here posting "LMAO HOW DO I BITCOIN?"
>>
>>1778559
>its still feasible
It's feasible that you're a cock-sucking gigolo, but until I see some proof I'm inclined to believe you're a NEET virgin still in the closet. If you make a claim on 4chan, you should be prepared to prove it, notwithstanding the faggotry of white-knighting cucks like you.

>you where little
I'm thinking your English teacher was diddling your boy-pussy when you "where little" instead of teaching you how the language works.
>>
>>1778168
There are only a handfull of milionaire's on this board

Ihazz was worth a couple million from owning a lawyer bureau

There is the janitor guy with the ugly wife who posted ITT (if it isn't an imposter)

And the german guy with the luxury cars (only posted once in a car tread around here)

Maybe Martin Shkreli, he browses 4chan but idk if he goes on /Biz/
>>
>>1778809
>There are only a handfull of milionaire's on this board
only because it's a slow board.
>>
File: y.jpg (50KB, 527x383px) Image search: [Google]
y.jpg
50KB, 527x383px
>>1778809
>if it isn't an imposter
nobody would pretend to be me. No reason. I'm not a glamorous character.
>>
I'm at about 650k Canadian right now.

Bought a house for 220, just got assessed at 350, only owe 140 on it one year in. Have about 200 in various bank and investment accounts, another 150 out in small business loans that get me 5% compound interest annually.

Make about 4k every two weeks managing a small hotel, and sublet rooms in my house for 650 a month. Working 80 or so hours a week for the past few years.
>>
>>1778809
I thought ihaz was proven to have just inherited all his money and was LARPing as a successful business owner
>>
>>1778890
>LARPing as a successful business owner
A strange thing to LARP as given the fact that over 20 million americans own businesses, and about 13 million of those make their whole living from their business.

That's about 10% of working-age adults, so you've got a one-in-ten chance of meeting a successful business owner given a representative sample of the populace. Granted, /biz/ is not a representative sample of working-age American adults, but if it were we'd expect hundreds of successful business owners here. Not just a handful. Ten successful business owners for every 100 visitors is not exactly a rare thing. If there's 10 houses on your block we could expect at least one of them to belong to a business owner. If there's 100 people at the club, at least 10 of them should be successful business owners. That's a lot of people.

For comparison, you're more than 18 times more likely to meet a successful business owner than an electrician.

more than 18 times more likely to sit next to a business owner than an auto mechanic at the bar.
>>
Which tard will bid to clean up fukushima?
>>
>>1778926
that's a slightly larger job than what my company usually bids on.
>>
I suppose I was for a while, I inherited a dying business , built the figures up and grew profit for 18 months, then the market died and I was left holding the bag.
Mfw people would run away and shut up shop after debt collector visit.
Literally fucking flee ..

Still fairly wealthy , but I wouldn't even have 500k if I liquidated and payed off my huge school loans.

For the brief few moments it did feel good though .
>>
I have enough bitcoins where I can confidently say in five years my stash will be worth over one million dollars
Thread posts: 91
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.