[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | | Home]

For irrelevant reasons, I have ended up with some shares from

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: french train.jpg (44KB, 540x330px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
french train.jpg
44KB, 540x330px
For irrelevant reasons, I have ended up with some shares from a privately held company.
What the fuck can I do with these shares? From what I get, I'm on my own trying to find someone that for some strange reason would want to buy them as well as at which price.

Sorry for the dumb thread, but you guys don't have a QTDDTOT thread.
>>
>>1775635
Bump for interest, always been curious about what people do with shares in privately held companies.
>>
>>1775635
If the company has any future, just holdon to it and collect the dividends. You basically own shares in its purest form, thus making you one of the owners who are entitled to a share of the profits.

If the company ever gets a stock market notation, those shares will become tradable at a price much higher than what they're worth now.

The only way to sell them right now, and I strongly advise you not to, is the company itsself so they rebuy their own shares.
>>
>>1775681
How does one exactly go about collecting dividends?
These shares are kind of uh, orphaned from any brokers or such. As in, all the paperwork is fine, they even show up when checking the owned assets at the gov site that regulates such things, but there's no link between owner and any other relevant party.
>>
>>1775721
They may not pay dividends, or pay them only sporadically.

You can either read any documentation you have from when you got the shares, their investors relations web page if they have one, or sit back, make sure your owner & contact information is accurate, and keep an eye on it until the company goes public or bankrupt.
>>
>>1775721
>but there's no link between owner and any other relevant party.
What does that mean? Don't you know the other owners?
>>
>>1775729
I meant more like, how do you actually get notified and collect the money at a practical level.
I'll probably have to dig through some decade old papers to see if I find anything useful, but given that these shares were from a different public company that got absorved, I doubt it.

>>1775748
All I really know is the name of the company and their registered address and phone. I know that I legally own the shares. That's it.
I mean, I could pick up the phone and call them and see what they tell me, but I'm not sure if that will be useful at all.
>>
>>1775753
If the company got bought out, are you sure you even still have ownership at all? I'm guessing this was an inheritance type-of-thing otherwise I expect you would know exactly what the buyout entailed.
>>
>>1775788
I'm decently sure, mostly based on my belief that the system that regulates stock trading works, and that the info I see in my assets listing by the tax regulating entity of my country isn't a lie.
And yeah, inherited, but I doubt my old man had any knowledge of what the buyout entailed either.
>>
>>1775798
How old are these shares?
You really need to talk to an attorney about it. I'm surprised this didn't come up when the estate was settled.
>>
>>1775810
2 decades. And what came up was mostly paperwork, I was kind of distracted to ask him to give me a course on stock trading. I don't even know what the shares are worth since they are private.
And while talking to more attorneys is always fun, they charge for their time.
>>
>>1775635
was in this situation.

DO NOT SELL.
If you can, buy more.

If the company ever goes public the shares will explode in value. If they get acquired you will be obligated to sell and it will be for a nice sum.
>>
>>1775818
So you have 20+ year old shares of a company that no longer exists?
>>
>>1775635
Contact the company. They will have some sort of memorandum of association in which your rights as a shareholder will be laid out, including your voting rights, what your profit share is and whether there are any restrictions on selling the shares.

Your best bet on selling them would be to contact one of the other owners and make him an offer. To determine a fair price you will need a recent company evaluation and figure out what percentage of the company you hold.

If they have never contacted you or your father, there is a good chance that they have gone bankrupt.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]
Please support this website by donating Bitcoins to 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
If a post contains copyrighted or illegal content, please click on that post's [Report] button and fill out a post removal request
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows an archive of their content. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.