[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /biz/, I need help, I'm having a very hard time deciding

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: Powder-Coating.jpg (201KB, 624x417px) Image search: [Google]
Powder-Coating.jpg
201KB, 624x417px
Sup /biz/,

I need help, I'm having a very hard time deciding on whether I should accept this job offer or not as I can see both benefits and negatives in taking it.

I'm 29 years old and for the last 9 years I have been an industrial painter. I went though an apprenticeship and am currently a journeyman. In the last 8 years I have landed jobs on military bases and through the process of this, I have obtained a very high military clearance. This clearance has allowed me to apply for jobs that normally I would have no right in applying for due to the rarity of my clearance. Here's where it gets interesting.

I applied for a remote monitoring job that requires the use of IBM Maximo and other programs to monitor, create orders, and assign work to supervisors. Basically a low level admin job. I would take it without a second thought but I have another job offer as a painter that also requires specialized training/certifications that I have picked up throughout the years. The admin job is a salary of $80k a year while while the painting job is on average $42/hr (government contract/DB) or just around $90k a year.

I would be trained in the use of IBM Maximo and other programs and the painting job is familiar and relatively easy as far as painting goes. Leave is about the same for both jobs BUT the admin job is most likely shorter term (3 year job or so) while the painting job could be until I grow old and physically can't do it any more and have to retire.

Should I take the hit of $10-20k/yr (counting overtime) for a desk job and admin experience on my resume? Is Maximo and admin experience of this type worth anything after I have to find a new job in 3 years? Most of my retirement is invested in property, I own 2 houses - one of which I rent out and about 3 acres of some lakefront property that I currently use for a camp ground but plan on building on eventually.

I know this is a personal preference question but I have offers and I can't decide. What would you do?
>>
Stick to painting, admin is boring as shit anyway, even if it sounds comfy now, you'll have no job satisfaction.

And besides at 29 on a large hourly rate you could essentially earn as much as you want if you smash out overtime hours. Stick with what you know and what you're good at until you can't/don't have to do it any more.
>>
>>1770716

Satisfaction is something that I'm worried about for sure. I do enjoy those hard days when I finish and come home tired. At the same time, this might sound silly, but I have never really had the opportunity for higher education and there is definitely a 'grass is greener on the other side' mentality that makes me want to try a job this admin job. Salary does scare me a bit though.
>>
>>1770724

Grass is always greener mentality is a bad one to have, remember a job isn't the end it's just a means to an end. Stick to painting and earn more moolah while you're at it
>>
>>1770716
This is my suggestion also. Good on you op. Sound like you got your shit together for being a kid. Most of us are fucking autistic retards
>>
Start own company in 2-3 years while getting connections now.
>>
>>1770724
Go do Fine Arts and use your painting skills.
Study Anthropology and the history of Art.
Become a chemical engineer and create new paint.

c'mon buddy, it's easy.
>>
>>1772031
>>1770727

Thank you guys. I took the painting job. I actually called them when I was still unsure but we talked more and they offered a couple more dollars an hour after I mentioned my situation of multiple job offers. Thanks again.
>>
Painting fucking sucks i rather get bank to shit post all day
>>
>>1772781
does industrial painting require any talent
>>
>>1772827

Muscle memory more than anything else. Critical areas need a specific and uniform thickness, fucking up can cause a company a lot of time and money. You also have to be in relatively good shape if you're painting inside silos, ballast tanks, or water (feed/potable) because of climbing around and having to get into tight spots. Either way there is a lot of money in it, I even paint houses on the side if I want to make a quick couple grand in during a weekend.

>>1772825

I have never had any drive for any specific career. I never grew up and had a "dream job" in mind. One reason why I enjoy it is because of how insanely fast most of my shifts go. It's nice when 8-10 hours of work just go flying by. I don't think it's for everyone obviously.
>>
>>1770710

> paint things
> get $42/hr

I picked the wrong career.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.