[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Interview

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: interview-pic.jpg (48KB, 640x364px) Image search: [Google]
interview-pic.jpg
48KB, 640x364px
Biz, drop your knowledge of the DO's and DONT's of being interviewed

+ Any funny interview stories
>>
>>1768639
Not in the /biz/ world but from experience I would try to keep interests 'open'.

I was called to an interview with a think tank in DC. When asked about my interests within the subject they work with, I answered too specifically and they didn't have a project that would suit those interests at the time of the interview.

The interviewer said that usually people will answer with a very general area of interest, which makes it easier for him to assign those applicants to a project.

Another valuable DO is when the interviewer asks if you have any questions, ask what qualities you had that made you competitive, and what could be improved.
>>
>>1768639

Don't say you're enthusiastic, literally 80% people do...

Always answer the questions, if you don't understand ask and try anyway. Having to push candidates for an answer is fucking frustrating, a bad answer (within reason obv) is better than none at all.

Don't criticize your previous employer/coworkers. At best you can point objective points that can be improved

Tips inspired by real events :

- Don't recite the whole website word for word when asked what you know about the company.

- Don't wear a t-shirt with a huge fucking banana on the front at the interview

- Don't say "yo dude"
>>
>>1768639
> Went to an interview fresh out of college
> Interview is for a sales position at a financial institution
> Guy excuses him self in the middle, says he has to go to the restroom
> Comes back with a little coke on his mustache
I shit you not. This is in a small Midwestern town, and the guy talked a mile a minute after about his experience in Wall Street managing hundreds of millions in portfolios, didn't get another work in for the next 45 minutes
>>
All you literally do is answer the questions appropriately and give examples especially if its a situational question because it shows to them that you know what your talking about and that you understand how to work in a team setting.

Never criticize your previous employers/coworkers because it shows you as bitter and unmanageable.

And also always wear dress pants, shoes and a dress shirt at minimum while interviewing, wear a suit if its for a legit company and profession.
>>
>>1768720
>>1768861
>Don't criticize your previous employer/coworkers.
>Never criticize your previous employers/coworkers

I see this advise get thrown around alot.

Can someone explain why it is such a taboo to criticize your previous employer?

What if your previous boss really was a piece of shit who made you miserable and suicidal everyday, do you still say nice things about him in the interview?
>>
File: hqdefault (5).jpg (23KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (5).jpg
23KB, 480x360px
>>1768881
Nope. I didnt.

Only had 1 conventional interview anyway.

Was pretty set at my last job. But i was driving 70 miles of dirt road to and from work and my boss was a cunt. Had 2 flats on my way to interview.

Pull into spot near building where my now boss was sitting in his truck. Get out of car. Kick my door in. Walk over to dude.

Sorry man. Shitty day. I'm not in the fucking mood. I'm going home. Drive into town and ask anyone you see what they think of me and then give me a call if u want.

Left.

Turns out he did exactly that.

1st guy he runs into at the local pizza place happens to be 1 of my best friends.

Talks me up like a champ.

Mfw i got a job 5nminutes after showing up late to an interview and throwing a bitch fit.
>>
>>1768881
>What if your previous boss really was a piece of shit who made you miserable and suicidal everyday, do you still say nice things about him in the interview?

How are we supposed to know that ? The interviewer only has your version of events and it always sounds sketchy when you start blaming others. Also, if you're moving on to a new company, you should be eager to let this behind you.

It gives a bad vibe about you. You may not be a problem for the company and you may be right but that other guy who did not spit on his previous boss or coworker will be chosen before you.

There are ways of pointing out shortcomings in a more subtle manner but this is not really the point of the interview. ie: Do not say : our IT department was lazy but our IT department had to much work.

Best is to shut up about it unless specifically asked about it though
>>
>>1768915
>How are we supposed to know that ? The interviewer only has your version of events and it always sounds sketchy when you start blaming others. Also, if you're moving on to a new company, you should be eager to let this behind you.

yeah I get that, but there is a high chance the interviewer is still going to probe around and ask shit like:

>1) tell me anon, what made you leave your previous job?
>2) did you not fit well at your previous job?
>3) I see that the recommendation letter we received is from a different boss outside your department you previously worked in. May I ask, why did we not receive a recommendation from the boss you actually reported to?
>>
>>1768639
It depends on the position you're interviewing and how much leverage you have. The combination of these two factors should inform your behavior and appearance.
>>
>>1768970
To expand. The end-point is money really, can you make money for them?

Think of it this way: If you're already a wildly successful money-maker and you're interviewing for a company that essentially just wants to suck your money-making qualities out of you and incorporate them within their corporate structure and their only leverage is maybe offering you less risk than staying on your own for a less volatile income and the opportunity to network to even higher positions, then you could afford to talk to the person interviewing you as an equal, maybe even be slightly patronizing and they will like it. If you are a genius that invented some super profitable shit you can probably walk in naked and flap on your belly like a wild turkey and they will hire you. Conversly if you are competing for an entry level job along with 10000000 other candidates with an identical resume you have to be their bitch (but a competent bitch).
>>
>>1768951

>1) tell me anon, what made you leave your previous job?

There are certainly some advantages to your new job that you can put forward instead of getting personnal. The question is not so much about why you left your job but about why you want to work for the company.

>2) did you not fit well at your previous job?

I am aspiring to something different. Maybe the company have different values, maybe you get more/different responsabilities etc..

>3) I see that the recommendation letter we received is from a different boss....

Me and x had the opportunity to work together multiple times and I believe he is in a good position to assess my skills. If your boss is an asshole, he probably does not write recommendations at all, you can use that too.

There is always a way :)

In some cases you can develop a bit more about problems with your past employer. These cases regard mostly situation where there is objective evidence of a disfunctionment in your previous company (bankrupcy, bad reviews, high employee turnover etc..)
>>
>>1768855
kek
>>
>>1768900
What job is this? What the hell?

Pardon me for doubting but I doubt you managed to get a "nice" job from this.
>>
>>1768881
You know that guy at your work that is always bitching about how he hates the place and makes everyone miserable? You seem like that kind of guy if you criticize your previous employer.

If you didn't like the place, say something like your don't feel like you were reaching your full potential there. Employers will understand what you mean, without you seeming like a whiny bitch.
>>
>>1768639
do tell them if you have no experience with something or don't even know what they are talking about.
admitting you don't know everything will show you have confidence in yourself and your ability to learn.

don't be afraid to ask for clarification if you are unsure about what they mean. if you just keep nodding and pretending you will likely corner yourself badly.

don't think you have to have every job or have to especially impress anyone. it's not like that. they have some ideas about what they want, you have some ideas about what you want, you are together to find out if they match.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.