[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Post stories, advice, and any info relevant to the expat life.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

Post stories, advice, and any info relevant to the expat life. I've had friends tell me about how they were able to live an upper class lifestyle for under $1000/mo by going to the right places. Very interested in hearing from anyone who's had expat experience.
>>
I'm from Canada and living in the US. It's pretty nice. The weather is better, most things are cheaper, including homes, and salary is higher for what I do, not even counting the good exchange rate right now.

I know it probably barely qualifies me as an expat, but it does give me good benefits like what you're talking about.
>>
>>1767314

Met a really interesting old English guy while traveling in Thailand. Here's more or less his life story from what I remember:

>Worked normal job in England until middle age, never married
>Had some savings but nothing insane, decides to quit his job
>Is an avid cyclist, decides to bike around the world
>Realized he actually had a fairly good chance of beating the world record bike circumnavigation
>Set record
>Ends up in Thailand, decides not to go home
>Opens a hostel in Chiang Khong
>Marries a Thai woman, has some kids
>Someone else breaks his record
>It gets broken a few more times while he's living his life in Thailand
>Decides he's going to go set the record again

I met him while he was in the planning stages of going for the record again. I haven't tried to contact him since, but it's certainly a more interesting life story than most. It was really striking just how distant he seemed to feel from his home country, I'm really not sure that's the kind of life you want to live
>>
>>1767496
It's because England is a pile of shit in every single way, so it's easy to feel distant from it.
>>
>>1767314
Anywhere in eastern europe and youll live very comfortably for $1000 a month. Average wage there is about $400 - $500 a month roughly? Obviously there are different countries with different wages and living expenses but overall VERY cheap.

Just make sure you have enough money when you go because if you have to end up working for more then you're fucked.
>>
>>1767314
Even a small mutual fund in the UK is enough to cover a much higher standard of living in Eastern Europe. The main thing is to have ways of generating income outside your new countries shitty wages, whether that's from investing, working online or selling local goods to foreigners.

I think the two main mistakes people make are overspending on luxury shit because suddenly it seems cheap so they buy a lot more, and rushing to get citizenship without looking at how it's going to affect their tax situation.
>>
>>1767314
>I've had friends tell me about how they were able to live an upper class lifestyle for under $1000/mo by going to the right places.

w-w-what if you earn under $1000 a month?
>>
>>1767496
I'm from america.

An if u done like merica you'n GIIIT OUT!
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.