[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | | Home]

Quitting a job 1 week in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: Hungry-Ghost.jpg (33KB, 640x484px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Hungry-Ghost.jpg
33KB, 640x484px
Hey guys, I just got a job at a grocery as a courtesy clerk. The thing is, it's 45 minutes from where I live and doesn't have the greatest hours for me. It looks like I might be getting another job closer to me and possibly with better hours. I'd like to quit the grocery job, but it's only been a week. Is there anything I should know beforehand? Obviously I won't be able to use the job as a recommendation but it's a shit job, and I'm applying to other shit jobs.
>>
>>1760687
Depending where you apply to; they may need you to mention this job either way
>>
>>1760698
I could lie. How could they check?
>>
>>1760687
Just walk away dude. I quit one or two in that manner back in the day. For a week I wouldn't even mention it. If it was a bit more and you want it on your resume use a friend as the reference or just put a fake number, no one checks that shit anyway. And for the record I've got a career now doing well. They're called shit jobs for a reason, don't worry about them just earn what you can and move on
>>
Just walk away and don't mention it.

Also,

>>1760687
>but it's a shit job, and I'm applying to other shit jobs.

These are the people who give out financial and investment advice on /biz/
>>
>>1760704
They could only check if they ask for references and you give them the number of your supervisor/HR.

I would go ahead and take the the new job opportunity if it presents itself. You owe nothing to your current employer. They won't make a fuss. Unskilled jobs like that have very high turnover so they already expect you will probably quit.

As a basic courtesy, try to give some notice that you are leaving to take a new position. Whether it's two weeks or a hour before your scheduled shift, it will be appreciated. No show, no, calls are the worst.
>>
It's not uncommon for a job not to work out after a week. Just be cordial, thank them for the opportunity but a better opportunity has come up, and leave it at that. Either they will be appreciative of your professionalism, or they won't, in which case, you're better off away from them anyway.
>>
>>1760737
Fuck that. Avoid the confrontation and just never show up one day. They'll get the hint. As a bonus, offer to cover someone's shift the day before you quit.
>>
>>1760687
Just be polite and honest that it isn't working for you. If you've only been there a week, they haven't invested that much in you at this point so don't feel like you owe them anything beyond common courtesy.
>>
>>1760687
A grocery store? Fuck em. They don't really matter in terms of your reputation especially if you've only been there a week.
I once quit a job by telling a coworker to let the boss know I quit. It really doesn't matter. Just go down the road that lets you both get back to business asap.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]
Please support this website by donating Bitcoins to 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
If a post contains copyrighted or illegal content, please click on that post's [Report] button and fill out a post removal request
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows an archive of their content. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.