[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

One of the major surprises I received when I moved out of childhood

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 01hedge_337-span-articleLarge.jpg (61KB, 600x330px) Image search: [Google]
01hedge_337-span-articleLarge.jpg
61KB, 600x330px
One of the major surprises I received when I moved out of childhood into the real world, was the degree to which the world is stratified by genuine competence.

I was invited once to a gathering of the mid-level power elite, where around half the attendees were "CEO of something"—mostly technology companies, but occasionally "something" was a public company or a sizable hedge fund. I was expecting to be the youngest person there, but it turned out that my age wasn't unusual—there were several accomplished individuals who were younger. This was the point at which I realized that my child prodigy license had officially completely expired.

Even so, these people of the Power Elite were visibly much smarter than average mortals. In conversation they spoke quickly, sensibly, and by and large intelligently. When talk turned to deep and difficult topics, they understood faster, made fewer mistakes, were readier to adopt others' suggestions.

No, even worse than that, much worse than that: these CEOs and CTOs and hedge-fund traders, these folk of the mid-level power elite, seemed happier and more alive.

This, I suspect, is one of those truths so horrible that you can't talk about it in public. This is something that reporters must not write about, when they visit gatherings of the power elite.

Because the last news your readers want to hear, is that this person who is wealthier than you, is also smarter, happier, and not a bad person morally. Your reader would much rather read about how these folks are overworked to the bone or suffering from existential ennui. Failing that, your readers want to hear how the upper echelons got there by cheating, or at least smarming their way to the top. If you said anything as hideous as, "They seem more alive," you'd get lynched.
>>
>>1745901
>Because the last news your readers want to hear, is that this person who is wealthier than you, is also smarter, happier...
Yeah I would be too if I had enough cash to not worry about next month's bills every day.

>and not a bad person morally
Prove it, m80.
>>
>>1745917
>prove a negative

never change /biz
>>
>>1745901
>Because the last news your readers want to hear, is that this person who is wealthier than you, is also smarter, happier, and not a bad person morally.

Being a CEO or a business owner has nothing to do with that. Its all about knowing your niche and having a good degree of risk tolerance. You wasted 30s of my life on your wall of text.
>>
>>1745901
>who is wealthier than you, is also smarter, happier, and not a bad person morally.

Deep down people know that. They just need the denial to keep going in their lives
>>
>>1745901
>than average mortals
stop reading right there, stop roleplaying online and go back to watching anime and playing fantasy games u fag
>>
>>1745901
>And at that point, I had become something I waited for my whole life.
>Euphoric..
>>
>>1745901
my experience is the opposite. but this is not the us. here ceos are largely morons with knowledge 30 years out of date but good political skills especially adept at "divide and conquer". upper management are smart ones that actually understand things even the technical explanations. middle management are usually the real classic manager types with no deep understanding of the technology but good at their specialization. project managers are largely dumb fucks that don't understand any fucking thing except tasks and deadlines. whys and hows completely elude them.

but that's just what i found.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.