[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do these guys really have any hope? They've been under performing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: amd.png (45KB, 2000x770px) Image search: [Google]
amd.png
45KB, 2000x770px
Do these guys really have any hope? They've been under performing for years now and post losses more often than not.

Their core market has been shrinking for years, and they face basically unbeatable competition from both intel and nvidia on the desktop and server front - both of those companies have far more resources to pump into both marketing and R&D and have been increasing both, while AMD has been cutting R&D spending continuously.

They are quite sluggish in the mobile front, and their "microservers" haven't taken off. It seems like the only thing keeping them alive at this point are their absurdly low margin contracts with sony and microsoft.

Does anyone foresee them making a recovery? Or are they slowly dying?
>>
nVidia isn't beating them as hard as intel. I still have hope for their gpu division, and I think APUs can be solid for their niche market (300-600 dollar laptops).

That said, they'll never be early 2000s Athlon-strong super power they pissed away.
>>
File: natalie-portman.jpg (74KB, 500x612px) Image search: [Google]
natalie-portman.jpg
74KB, 500x612px
losses or profits are completely irrelevant for a stock price
>>
Most of their products occupy the unenviable niche of "cheap but almost as good", which means they have low margins on all their products across the board. This wouldn't be a problem, but both of their competitors (graphics and CPUs) have them beat on volume, and the market is getting smaller and smaller.

They don't have their own fabs so there is some overhead they don't have to deal with, but it doesn't seem like they're going to be able to keep up at all soon.

Are they going to be dependent on nvidia and intel secretly pumping money into them so they don't have to deal wit government intervention after AMD dies and they are monopolies? Or do you guys see hope?

It's a shame, they did so well a while back..
>>
>>1742544
I'm not concerned with stock price, I'm concerned with the health of the company in the long run

>>1742543
Well, the gpu skew isn't as bad a the cPU front I'll give you that, but the market cutup is like 65/35, in nvidia's favor. That doesn't bode well.

Their biggest problem is they sacrificed their R&D investments to balance the books a few years back, and it really screwed them over. You can't make good chips if you don't have the engineers to design them! It's impossible to stay competitive in the field they're in without massive R&D spending
>>
>>1742549
Also, rumor is they're going to post losses for 4th quarter 2016, which really sucks! How do you do post losses near the holidays!
>>
The only thing I believe in is Jim Keller. So the architecture will be decent, but AMD's weakness has traditionally been execution. With GloFo spun out, they can pin the blame on somebody else now.

Anyway, rumors and hype. AMD stock has been taking a bath the last few days though.
>>
>>1742570
GloFo is still basically all Ex-AMD employees at this point, so blaming them just makes them look bad

AMD's biggest problem is Apple took all their best engineers. They just don't have the chops anymore to make good designs

It's shame. And yeah, their stock is tanking because of rumors that they're going to post losses for 2016.
>>
>>1742544
ur a rtard
>>1742549
it should do well... although i bought at 6 and sold at 9, i predicted 15 by the end of next year (2017)

honest to god.. their competitors are too busy with meme shit like self driving cars
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.