[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>blue collar 28 yo >forced to change career due to inj

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1484742849761.jpg (27KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1484742849761.jpg
27KB, 400x400px
>blue collar 28 yo
>forced to change career due to injury
>a few options

One option is going back to college. Not very interested in that.
Looking for something more frugal.
Anyone have experience with freecodecamp.com?
>is it a legit learning source
>do the certificates hold any weight
>if completed what could my employment opportunities be

Will have plenty of free time for awhile. Wanna make the most of it.

>No kneepads
>>
If you actually enjoy programming then yes, it's a good start.

You will be competing with Pajeets though. Remember.
>>
>>1741060
I would recommend going to community college for courses
>>
>>1741386
the education sucks honestly, but it looks better than saying your taught yourself on freecodecamp.com.

study freecodecamp, and go to school at the same time.
most states community college is free, lots of low level computer jobs... honestly I hate working low level IT and I would rather collect my unemployment income or go on disability, unless I land a kush ass government gig.
>>
>>1741212
I've always been interested, just never pursued it. I'm use to competing with Mexicans and Puerto Ricans lol.

>>1741386
>>1741403
I guess I'll look into community college then. By free do you mean, with grants? Fafsa or whatever they call it. If so, my income for this past year should exclude me. It's been a while since I've dealt with anything like that.
>>
It depends on your situation and how long you can go without needed a job. But you can 100% bust ass and learn enough from the Internet and trial and error to be decently competitive in programming, web dev, mobile dev etc. Maybe not proper software engineering jobs but the others you can do easy. This is all assuming you don't want to go back to school. Go back to school and you can be competitive in anything.
>>
>>1741659
depends on your state
california has BOGW
colleges try to make sure you get fasfa, they get kickbacks.
they might allow you to show proof of your current year taxes by showing that your on unemployment or something
>>
>>1741674
I'm actually still working. I took a new position and reduced pay (1/3 of original). But, with my wife working we still can manage. Just can't save. Web/app development is what was interesting me.

>>1741684
As mentioned above, still working. But I did get comp for about 6 months this past year. And I'm in FL.
>>
>>1741674
Forgot to mention I'll be able to study at work. We only do about a hour and a half of actual work then we sit around for the rest of the day. Figured I could make use of this down time.
>>
>>1741746
where do you work?
Government or non-profit?
Are you guy's hiring?
>>
>>1741746
>>1741734
Ah, well then you can definitely learn web/app development. Because a degree really isn't required for it. Especially once you have a portfolio. I'd suggest picking a language like python and learning the basics. How to do simple, general problems. Then start learning web frameworks in that language since you'll be comfortable. Go to /g/ and look at their web dev general, /wdg/. It's got a good amount of information for beginners.
>>
File: 1484744538652.jpg (163KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1484744538652.jpg
163KB, 800x800px
>>1741976
I work for a logistics company. Courier/warehouse division, now.
>print route sheets
>give driver route sheets
>scan some boxes
>back to my desk
>stare at wall for 6 1/2 hours
>vidya helps

>>1742052
Thanks for the information. Will look into python.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.