[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey biz/ i am starting a website and could use some help. I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (510KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
510KB, 2048x1536px
Hey biz/ i am starting a website and could use some help.

I figured I'd go with a Wordpress since i have experience with it. Is there a better alternative ?

I don't plan on making money with the website for some time. Its mostly content oriented, there is no actual service provided. I am mostly counting on affiliation, which probably won't be for a few months or whatever time I need to (hopefully) get some decent traffic.

Is is worth going through a hosting company now ? If so which would be best ?

Any tips appreciated
>>
>>1739841
godaddy are fucking cucks. go with bluehost.
>>
>>1739841
justhost is easy and good. goddaddy and hostgator just fuck you royally trust me i had experience with both
>>
>>1739962
>>1739943

Good to know thanks. Was going to buy a domain name through them (0,85 cts) yesterday but figured it could wait a bit.
>>
>>1740555

I am OP btw, probably posting under another username right now.

Anyone has some insight regarding wordpress or other similar products ?
>>
>>1740671
Wordpress is good. I make websites as a side hustle.
It is limited if you dont know any html css and php tho. I write a lot of code to personalize and modify themes so they dont look shit.

AMA
>>
>>1740879
Same shit right here. Most WP themes are annoying, but you can tweak a lot with CSS. I don't even know much of the synthax myself but if I know what I have to edit, I can always ask the nerds @ cuck overflow or just google it.
>>
Is it only you writing on the site?

If so it's cheaper to write Jinja template and generate static pages.

No server scripts just a webserver.

Need to be tech savvy but it's faster than any CMS and way cheaper.
>>
>>1740879
How much do you charge for a wordpress site?
>>
>>1740879

I do not know anything about html/css. I am currently working on a wordpress website (not mine) so I post a bit of code when needed but its all given to me by IT.

I don't want something to complex desu, a few categories and a good overview of the articles is good enough for me as of now.

However, the website I am working on was already made when I arrived, I don't even know what to expect desu.

Anything you can recommand ? Any good guides for beginners ?

>>1740893

I will be alone yes, It's going to be my side project basically, for when I get back home from work.

I'll look up Jinja but I don't really care about the price desu (If I understood well wp would cost me around 4$ a month or something), quality of the website and easy use is the most important.

Also, I am planning on writing in two languages so static pages is probably not best.
>>
>>1741010
I don't know much about your project. Why wouldn't static be the best?

What's the purpose of your site.

You can run a Vps for a year with a webserver for $5 a year hosting static generated page.

>>
>>1741027

I just looked it up on the internet and it seems that static pages don't allow for the content to change depending on the IP of visitors.

However, now that I think about it, I am mostly aiming for organic traffic, it's not really a problem if people get on the website through google search.

I am out of work so I am going to have a look. The website would basically be a collection of rather short articles with a few pics. Nothing crazy, I just need to be able to categorize it clearly and have a nice layout that's about imo (I am probably underestimating my needs though).

>>1740893

What do you mean by tech savyy btw ? I am willing to learn the basics but there is so much I can do all by myself working 40 hours a week.
>>
>>1741027

I don't want to say to much about the purpose but let's just say that it aims at helping/inform people.

I am more on the marketing/management side so I don't have much knowlege about the actual inner working of a website. I am not even sure I know what I want really.

I'd say I want some advice on how to create a website as a complete beginner and do it right the first time around. I don't mind paying a bit but I don't want to be overpaying either or worst, pay for crap I can't even use.
>>
Anyone here ?

I looked up Jinja and this is way beyond my capacities.

I am in the process of registering with bluehost and at this point they are trying to cross sell me tons of services. What is really useful ?

Domain privacy protection
Site Backup Pro
Search engine jumpstart
Sitelock security
Comodo PositiveSSL Bundle
>>
File: ScreenHunter_740 Jan. 18 18.59.jpg (89KB, 871x692px) Image search: [Google]
ScreenHunter_740 Jan. 18 18.59.jpg
89KB, 871x692px
That's what it's looking like for the moment
>>
File: ScreenHunter_741 Jan. 18 19.28.jpg (88KB, 851x651px) Image search: [Google]
ScreenHunter_741 Jan. 18 19.28.jpg
88KB, 851x651px
Google is my friend I guess :)
>>
I'm pretty doing the same. Started about 4 weeks ago. So far i've written around 25ish posts for my website.
No bullshit, just content articles with pictures, where I try to hit an unsaturated niche.

No organic traffic yet. It is a bit demotivating, but as far as I have understood, it takes around 4-5 months before google starts sending you any traffic, since the domain is completly new and Google has to "Trust" you. Don't know if that is some boogus.

When I get traffic, I can start to try and get some money from them.
>>
>>1739943
fuck bluehost, go with siteground
>>
I had GoDaddy and it fucking sucked. I did the trial for azure and it was super easy and intuitive (I had everything set up in minutes), but my impression was it was getting expensive fast.

I recommend arvixe. I've been paying $8 a month for the last 3 months, but it does everything I need (ASP.NET WEB API with MS SQL database). their documentation is kind of outdated and getting through to India is annoying but it's working out now
>>
Anyone recommend where I can hire a WordPress coder to change somethings about the theme I bought?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.