[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New Investors/Information for Sticky?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: NewYorkStockExchange.jpg (161KB, 768x501px) Image search: [Google]
NewYorkStockExchange.jpg
161KB, 768x501px
I've just opened a money market account with TD Ameritrade and plan to start investing soon. first though, I need a crash course on investing, research techniques, market analysis, etc. What resources would you guys recommend for someone just starting to educate themselves? Textbooks, webguides, blogs, anything is welcome.

I'm also thinking if we get a good repository built we can get it put in the sticky and never have this thread again
>>
>>1725773
Rule no. 1 with TDA: Never expect thinkorswim platform stability.
>>
How much money are you starting with?
>>
>>1725784
10K, but I'm not looking for investing tips right now. I'm looking for general education resources and hope to research companies on my own or come back here to discuss them.
>>
>>1725773
screw all the analysis, as you don't have enough time to do that shit unless you are unemployed

buy into an index fund that tracks the dow jones or S&P. automate purchases via transfers from checking account. then forget you actually invest.
>>
U need luck not education
>>
Play swings.

I made a killing on MMJ Stocks this past 4 months.

Find the hot sector and get in and get out.
>>
>>1725789
I am a news junkie. Just get a few news apps and watch financial news vids on TD Ameritrade. After a while you will kind of have a grasp on what is going on in the market. Don't invest in things you don't understand.
>>
>>1726396
>Don't invest in things you don't understand.

This. When I started all willy nilly my portfolio was down 4% a DAY.

Did my due diligence, started getting smart about it, and now I'm up 30% overall just this year.

Check out SEC filings, market analysis, company press releases, then flip a coin.

Also, a neat trick is to google the stock symbol and add .pdf.

It's a quick way to get public documents on the company, albeit with a little sifting on your part.

Good luck.
>>
>>1726412
Idk, I invested in Ag and petroleum all industries I understand I worked in, have a deep knowledge of and got nothing but bleeding red, I invest in shit like UVXY and JDUST have no fucking clue at all how they work and make +300% a month just guessing and not even selling or buying at the best bottoms or peaks.

Youre mileage may vary L-O-L
>>
>>1726412
>>1726396

I would like to give barely input apart from my agreement with these two. Please understand your stock/etf. This will give you such an edge. Remember, the idea behind stocks is easy: buy low, sell high. The trick is understanding when that is. It may take a bit before you are willing to trade. But hey, start with companies you like because you tend to see their activity just through interacting with them. From there, spread your wings and look into different companies. Like I liked AMD, and heard about their deal with google, and managed to get in at ~$7. Now it is $11+. Understand your companies!
>>
>>1726095
Truly spoken like an uneducated person
>>
You will get yourself soooooo much further in the investment world just by having a thesis and then selling when your thesis is no longer reasonable. If you're buying for earnings growth, hold until the earnings growth story changes and then sell. Don't forever change the story in order to justify keeping the position. It's stock; you're not married to it.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.