[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to make 100k a year. I have: >2 years Systems Analyst

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: verona.jpg (103KB, 850x565px) Image search: [Google]
verona.jpg
103KB, 850x565px
I want to make 100k a year.

I have:
>2 years Systems Analyst experience in a tech startup
>Great python, SQL, excel skills, some java and lua (love programming in general)
>Business Masters, languages undergrad

Where do I go from here?

I like fucking around with systems and programming, but I feel like a non-technical background will fuck me long-term, and that I'd like to transfer to the business side down the line anyway.

What job should I do next if 100k a year is what I'm aiming towards in a few years? I feel like my 2nd job could be a big deciding factor in how well I do overall. Am I wrong?
>>
>>1720424
How much do you make now?

You could move jobs now and probably command a 20k raise over your current job with that skill-set. That's how you make money in tech, moving jobs every few years.
>>
>>1720424
move to india
>>
>>1720468
Yurop here, make about €33k due to it being a startup and the economy not being quite recovered. So a long way to go.

Thing is, I doubt I'd ever get that amount as a Business/Systems analyst, I'm looking for advice on where to move that might be more lucrative.

Was thinking Dev or Data Engineer, but I'd be interested to here any advice on it.

20k raise would be fucking great though
>>
>>1720493
Ah Europe, sorry don't know much about that but in America you could easily reach 100k in I'd say no more than 10 years.

While technical skills pay obviously, don't neglect your soft skills. Managers here can easily make 100k+.
>>
>>1720502
Yeah seems like tech salaries are higher in the US, I'll probably aim to work in NY or Austin at some point for the money

Yeah from what I've seen, if you're going down the tech route, you're either topping out at Senior Whatever, or going down the manager path, the latter being the more lucrative
>>
add .net and asp to your resume
>>
>>1720541
Ayyy come to Austin. It's where I'll be going soon. Great place I love it.
>>
>>1720549
That's good to hear. Is it cheap to live there?

Rent is pricey as fuck here, I'm half dreaming of splashing out and getting a full house for myself somewhere like Austin, instead of a cramped flat here
>>
>>1720502
Moving to Houston, Texas would be a great option. Finding work at an oil and gas producer would garner the wage you are looking for and bonuses are usually pretty enticing at oil companies. In addition real estate is super cheap, you can get a giant house for <$80/sq ft.
>>
I've been a software engineer for about a decade, making $110k in North Carolina.

If you want to get more into programming, keep honing the SQL skills. You may end up using some no-SQL variant, but there's a massive difference from "I know how to write CRUD statements" to 100,000 line SQL scripts from hell.

Python and Java are great to learn, Lua too for certain niches, but much less common.

With Python and SQL you could pick up web development work if you can pickup JS. There are lots of options, try to specialize in a skillset.

Python/SQL/javascript/HTML/CSS
Python/numpy/panda
Java/Android
>>
>>1720553
Well if you look at Texas alone it's more expensive but nationwide it's average. Housing is expensive but their lots of area's around it that's not too bad.

Live their for awhile first and make sure it's something you want to do. Hopefully the housing bubble will bust and we will be in a good spot to buy.

>>1720566
Yea but Houston sucks (in my opinions, stinks full of poverty, not a whole lot to do nature wise) and oil fluctuates but you should be in a position where that doesn't matter so much. It is cheap though as he said.
>>
>>1720589
>100,000 line SQL scripts

KYS these do not exist
>>
>>1720493
What country? You will never get past 50-70k in the euro zone.
Switzerland is the only place you can get 6 digits salaries in Europe (the average entry salary is around 90k).
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.