[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Frugal thread: Post good tips only. >instead of buying paper

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 155
Thread images: 11

File: Frugallife.png (881KB, 1107x2977px) Image search: [Google]
Frugallife.png
881KB, 1107x2977px
Frugal thread: Post good tips only.

>instead of buying paper towels I'll buy small hand towels in bulk for about $4. I haven't bought paper towels in 3 years.
>Shave with a knife once a week without cream or aftershave
>Eat basic cheap diet of legumes ,grains ,vegetables and occasional meat
>shower with a big industrial soap using it as shampoo too
>have one expensive suit to please the jet set in big reunions but use rustic work/military clothes for everything else
>excercise in the park
>drink filterd water/fruit juice
>don't have a steady gf,fuck bitches without paying a dime
>appear to be politically neutral so I can assist to all kinds of reunions and movements allowing me to socialize without going to expensive places or restaurants
>Pirate tv shows / movies
>Cook yourself, don't order or eat out
>No Starbucks or similar
>Go hiking / camping for vacations
>Find cheapest plans for internet / phone / electricity / insurance / etc
>Don't replace stuff, repair it
>Buy good quality clothes, wear them for 10 years+
>Don't get a gym membership; buy workout equipment + workout at home
>Don't buy water, drink tap
>Cut your own hair (buzzcut)
>Buy used when it makes sense
>>
A big one is never buying or leasing a new car. Buy used cars from Craigslist for around $1000-$3000 and run them into the ground. The price for any car that runs is $500-1000 minimum so you lose little value in owning one.
>>
go stand outside of festivals. You'll still hear the music, enjoy the atmosphere but pay nothing.

If it's hot bring a small cooler and sell water or beers.
>>
Instead of buying meat, go to a park and start feeding some geese. When they trust you, grab one and snap its neck. Pluck it, bleed it, gut it, clean it, cook it.
>>
99 cent bottle of rubbing alcohol and 99 cent bottle of witch hazel water. Mix them 50/50 and you have 2 quarts of good aftershave for under 2 dollars.
>>
>>1717349

This. The bigger ticket the item, the more money to be saved. Getting cheap transportation and cheap living arrangements are going to have the number one impact on saving you money.
>>
>>1717289
If you have geico insurance, then all you have to do is buy 1 share of BRK.B to get a shareholders discount.
>>
>>1717532
This
>>
File: Case Shiller Price Index.png (112KB, 1780x768px) Image search: [Google]
Case Shiller Price Index.png
112KB, 1780x768px
>>1717289

What the fuck lol. I tried to use coconut oil and a razor once and learned within about 1 swipe how bad of a decision that was. I would recommend a safety razor. Each blade costs like 10¢ and is good for a minimum of 4 shaves. I haven't found a good shaving cream alternative, so any suggestions are appreciated.

>Don't get a gym membership; buy workout equipment + workout at home

This one depends. If I were to build a home gym, it would cost me many thousands of dollars (kind of a gym enthusiast). At some point, paying a shitload for gym equipment is less profitable than paying $50/month to a gym and reinvesting the leftover money.

>Don't replace stuff, repair it
>Buy good quality clothes, wear them for 10 years+

I'm glad you put both of these in here. I work in financial services (people are snobs), and there's a fine line. It's a lot more expensive to miss out on a promotion than to pay a couple hundred dollars to get something replaced.

> My contribution to the discussion as a financial services worker

1) Pay attention to fucking fees. For example, a financial advisor might try to push you into a plan where the fee is 1% of assets every year. That seems like so little, but over decades, that turns out to be an enormous sum in lost gains. Compound interest is very powerful.

2) Do not buy a fucking house. Residential property is one of the worst "investments" you can make, contrary to all the "American dream" tards you'll hear telling you it's a necessity. Pic is the Case Shiller Housing Index. Since 1900, housing has returned ~80% in real terms. The DOW has returned ~165551% over the same period with reinvested dividends. Rent a cheap apartment, take the money you didn't spend on a shitty mortgage, and put it in the market.
>>
File: images (6).jpg (9KB, 209x241px) Image search: [Google]
images (6).jpg
9KB, 209x241px
>>1717581
Nigga really? People can do that, how do igo about claiming that.
>>
>>1717592
Get a load of this fatcat.

Sorry buddy this is a frugal thread not a millionaire living thread.
>>
>>1717600

What exactly makes me a "fatcat"
>>
>>1717653
>Each blade costs like 10¢ and is good for a minimum of 4 shaves
>>
>>1717653
You're overspending as fuck.

Why even get a gym membership? Find heavy rocks and carry them back to your house. And run on sidewalks or low traffic streets.
>>
>>1717669

2.5¢ a shave is a lot better than disposables.
>>
>>1717532
I do this with pigeons and young tropical parrots
>>
>>1717594
buy the share. phone them up and ask for the discount. they might ask for proof so email them the transaction. simple as that.
>>
>>1717674
Shaving at all is retarded.

Grow as much as facial hair as you can to save on clothes to stay warm in the winter.
>>
>>1717671

That isn't the position I'm in. I do power lifting in my free time. Comparatively speaking, being able to control $10,000+ of equipment for $50/month is a basement bargain.

I don't really care what you all think of my spending habits. The lesson I came here to teach you all is this: ownership is not always the most ideal option. My point about buying a home is another example of this. For the things that matter most to you (for me, power lifting happens to be important; I have been at it for years now and picking up heavy rocks isn't going to do it for me) consider it can be cheaper to rent than to buy. That is all. Take this concept and apply it to whatever you want.
>>
File: 1478466313235.png (444KB, 653x705px) Image search: [Google]
1478466313235.png
444KB, 653x705px
>>1717532

>geese
>trust
>>
>>1717691

>$10,000 worth of equipment

You're fucked in the head if you think you need that much to lift.
>>
>>1717691
>Powerlifting

So you spend your MONEY on the gym and lots of food to keep up your caloric demands?

Shut get the fuck out of here richfuck. Stop terrorizing us and kicking us while we're down.
>>
>>1717689

I work in banking. Untrimmed facial hair is not an option in that environment. Again, saving a few pennies on shaving is a lot more expensive than lost professional opportunity.
>>
>>1717698

Power lifting is my hobby. It's something I'm willing to spend money on. I achieve that ends in the cheapest way possible.

What are your hobbies? What do you like to do?
>>
>>1717701
>>1717705
It's like I'm talking to a brickwall here.

CLIMB DOWN FROM YOUR GOLDEN TOWER AND SPEAK TO US NORMALLY.

HELLO? CAN YOU READ THIS? AM I GETTING THROUGH? HOW IS THE SIGNAL?
>>
>>1717707

I'm frugal in other parts of life so that when it comes to things that I really enjoy and care about, I can afford to do them (while also doing them in the cheapest way I can).

I don't know why you have such a boner for this. What exactly is your purpose for being frugal? Are you deferring consumption now in favor of greater consumption later? Or are you just trying to make sure you have the most expensive tombstone in the graveyard?
>>
>>1717715
I'm just not getting through, am I?

Just fuck off fatcat, go spend on frivolous goods while being ignorant of how most of society lives.
>>
>>1717726

> "Go spend on frivolous goods"
> Typed from internet-connected device that is not necessary for living
>>
>>1717737
I use a $100 smartphone I got from a pawnshop.

I'm typing from McDonald's right now, I tested the connection at 4 of my nearest mcdonald's locations and this had the best internet.
>>
>>1717705
>lifting weights like a retard is my ''''''hobby''''''''
>he pays a lot of money to lift shit
Go back to /fit/ you stupid gymrat, you aren't allowed here.
>>
>>1717741

I don't hate you, you know. Even if you're being a prick to me.

Lower your heart rate. Read what I've written, and take it at more than face value. My purpose here wasn't to come and teach you how to work out for the cheapest. I wrote what I wrote because it's a mindset. People (especially Americans), have a predisposition towards ownership. I came here to dispel the notion that ownership is always cheapest and ideal. That was all. I'm trying to help you, not attack you.

I don't want you to continue an existence where you're on McDonald's internet on a $100 pawshop cellphone.
>>
>>1717756
>have a predisposition towards ownership. I came here to dispel the notion that ownership is always cheapest and ideal. That was all. I'm trying to help you, not attack you.

That's because renting is throwing money away.

I feel like you're purposely giving us bad advice to keep us poor. The shit about the gym was just the icing on the cake. We're here, trying, working hard, to make something of ourselves.

And you just come here and start flaunting your wealth. You're basically spitting in our faces and telling us to like it, and that you have our "best interests" in mind.

Seriously. If you're just going to act like this maybe this isn't the place for you, we tried to reason with you but you just love putting down people you see as inferior to yourself.

Gee wow thanks for the love and support big guy.
>>
>>1717592
>Do not buy a fucking house. Residential property is one of the worst "investments" you can make.

t. retard
>>
>>1717592
I look at buying a home as less an investment and more an opt-out of paying rent.

Do I expect to make any money buy owning this house outright in 10-15 years? No, but eventually I won't have a mortgage or a rent payment and will have that money for my own use and not someone else's.
>>
>>1717771

You are mistaken. I swear on my life that renting is a better option.

Google "amortization schedule calculator." I just ran one on a $100,000 loan over 30 years at a 5% rate. After 5 years of payments, you would only have like $8000 in equity. Thats a sliver. Almost all of your payment is interest at this point. You don't start really gaining equity until much later.

Instead of getting an equity sliver that barely appreciates at all in inflation-adjusted terms, I'm proposing that you rent (you can rent an equivalent home for a lot less than a mortgage payment), and then invest the savings you made with that lower payment. Stocks have appreciated 7-8% per year on a long term, inflation-adjusted basis. That's a lot better than what you'll get on a residential property.
>>
>>1717799
Okay then how do i find a good place to rent so I don't get scammed?

I live with my parents to save money and I've been meaning to move out
>>
>>1717807

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/upshot/buy-rent-calculator.html?_r=0

This is worth your time.
>>
>>1717815
More specifically how do I find a good place to live and not pay all my income on rent?
>>
>>1717817

That's really up to you. You'll have to look up listings in the area where you intend to move to.
>>
>>1717799

Just to be clear, what you are saying is highly location dependent. The hidden factor here is maintenance and upkeep. In some places rent is cheaper than combined morgage/tax/insurance/upkeep, in others its not. Older houses are more expensive to upkeep than new.

The argument here is that your down payment will earn more in equities than in principle growth in a single family home. This is typically true except in the following circumstances: low or no down payment USDA mortgages (talking US here), multifamily homes where you can rent out a portion to cover part or all of your mortgage payments.
>>
>>1717799
>, you would only have like $8000 in equity.
assuming your house doesn't increase in value
assuming you chose the 30 year not the 15 or 10

but even then $8k is more than you'd get back renting for 5 years. And your interest is tax-deductible, rent isn't.

>you can rent an equivalent home for a lot less than a mortgage payment
oh, I get it. You've never rented OR bought a home.
>>
>>1717828

This is also an important consideration that I hadn't mentioned. No property tax, repairs are the responsibility of the landlord, no homeowners associations dues, etc.
>>
>>1717831
You can easily burn $8000 on property tax and maintenance over 5 years. Not even considering the volatility cost of being unable to predict ongoing ownership costs.
>>
>>1717949
>You can easily burn $8000 on property tax and maintenance over 5 years
so what?
you think you're not paying those costs when you rent?

you're paying all that plus a profit for your landlord. If you guys were even close to right nobody would rent out property because it's a losing proposition.

fuckin 12 year olds pissing me off
>>
>>1717960

I posted a link earlier to a calculator on the New York Times. Look over it. The numbers do not lie.
>>
>>1717960
The claim is that if you own a $100k house, take a $100k mortgage, and spend more than $8000 on tax and maintenance, then you're below zero, vs renting for the same amount as your mortgage payment, in which case you're right at zero.

This is ignoring the investment return on your down payment, which will be 1-2% on a house, vs putting it into stocks and getting 8-10%, and also ignoring the transaction costs of buying and selling a house, and ignoring how much harder it is to move.
>>
>>1717679
thanks anon i like biz, it is like the raw unfiltered place to get info no matter how crazy or ridiculous
>>
>>1717968
yes, that was fun.

it says if I can rent my house for $208/month I'd be better off.

My house will easily rent for $1200/month so there's no way I'm losing money buying.

I suspect that's true in almost all of the US unless you plan on moving every 3 years. Which you guys might, you're young. But that doesn't make buying a losing proposition for people that aren't vagabonds.
>>
>>1717987
>throwing away multiple opportunities for career advancement because of MUH HOME
>>
>>1717974
>This is ignoring the investment return on your down payment
you didn't specify a down payment, if you had your equity in the house would be larger.

you can buy a $100k house in the US with almost nothing down. My bank advertises a $500 down payment.

and houses are increasing in value in most markets, the trend is almost as good as stocks.
>>
>>1717705
First /frugal/ thread huh?
>>
>>1717988
I own a business in my town, I'm not going anywhere.

how are those career opportunities treating you? Good I hope.
>>
>>1717997

It is, actually lol. I only began browsing here a few days ago. It's been enjoyable.
>>
>>1718006
You seem nice so here's a tip. /frugal/ threads are just for laughs. People try to outdo each other by posting ridiculously extreme examples of miserly behaviour, see the op image for examples.
>>
>>1717532
be careful, geese will fuck you up
>>
>>1718000
Yes I'm sure that that one spot that your business is located is in is absolutely the best spot in the entire country to generate the most profits.
>>
>>1718027

Well this is just embarrassing. Ha.
>>
>>1718039
too late to move it now.
>>
>>1718027
>Evaporate ocean water to save money on salt
>>
>>1717996
> you didn't specify a down payment, if you had your equity in the house would be larger
Yes, it would be 1-2% per year larger than the downpayment itself, on average, which is what I said.

The rest of your claims about home values matching stock returns in the US is simply untrue.
>>
NIGHTMARE MODE

You can save the most money by not paying rent or a mortage at all and still working full time.

Get a membership at Planet Fitness or some other low-cost gym. This is where you shower and do personal hygiene. $10-30/mo.

Get a PO box at the Fed Ex store. This is your address you put on everything. PRO-TIP put your box number as 'APT' so your employer, ect doesn't realize it's a PO box. Your mail will still get delivered like normal.

The most important part. Buy a nondescript work van. This is your new home. Park it somewhere different every night. 24 hour wal-marts, truck stops and the sort are the best places, but truck stops are noiser.. PROTIP: Just because you drive a work van doesn't mean people won't notice you parked at their warehouse or whatever. Avoid residential neighborhoods entirely. Highway rest stops seem tempting but they are monitored and you'll eventually be noticed if you stay too long.

There are still laundromats in town. Don't be a stinky homeless person.
>>
>>1718076

I lived like that 4 years in an old Citroen C15 while i was at college so i can afford tuittion fees. Good advice.
>>
>>1718072
>it would be 1-2% per year larger than the downpayment itself,
No, I mean your hypothetical $8k in equity would be increased by the full amount of your down payment.

you're comparing interest on one choice to principle on the other, and you're subtracting out the majority of the principle.

this is a meaningless comparison and (as I pointed out) a lie since you subtracted out the value of the principle to negate returns.

I don't really care, I'm just curious if you see what you're doing or if you're actually a retard.
>>
>>1718086
The $8k is the equity you gain from paying the mortgage. The downpayment is basically a separate investment that will appreciate 1-2% per year.

The mortgage payments could have gone to rent for a higher return (as the mortgage puts you below zero after tax and maintenance, while rent returns zero). The downpayments could have done to stocks for a directly higher return.
>>
File: Invest-ROI_S&P-vs-Home_20years.jpg (240KB, 845x639px) Image search: [Google]
Invest-ROI_S&P-vs-Home_20years.jpg
240KB, 845x639px
>>1718072
>The rest of your claims about home values matching stock returns in the US is simply untrue.
>>
>>1718099
Citing the Bay Area throughout the dotcom boom does not refute my general claim.

If you want to make bets on specific areas in specific times you're welcome to, and this may be a reasonable way to speculate if you understand the market, but you can't just buy a random house in the US and expect these returns.
>>
>>1718085
What did you do about girls? Ask them if they want to come back to your shag wagon?
>>
>>1718097
>the mortgage puts you below zero after tax and maintenance,
only for the first five years and then it exponentially rises.

and ignoring the tax breaks for your mortgage you can't get from renting.

and further ignoring the rate of appreciation you quote isn't accurate in any part of the us unless you only count since 2008 or something.
>>
>>1718102
>Citing the Bay Area throughout the dotcom boom does not refute my general claim.
citation for your claim then.

homes have appreciated far more than 1-2% per year since 1935, and I assume you're cherry-picking to get that figure.

either looking at 2008-2012 or maybe counting only Alabama or something.
>>
>>1718099

>5 times lever on the house
>No lever on the stocks
>More ROI on the house

Fuckin' really now?
>>
>>1717289

> Eat less meat, not no meat, just less
> Never buy a new car
> Never finance a car
> Never finance anything other than a mortgage
> Never mortgage for more than 1,5 you annual pre-tax income
> Always pay as much upfront as possible on your mortgage
> Alcohol is cheap, but just as expensive as weed if you drink everyday
> Weed is cheap, but expensive once you have a daily habit
> Don't go clubbing, not worth the expenses or the hangovers
> Never lend to a friend what you cannot afford to loose
> Don't settle and have kids until you are in your 30's, preferably with a woman who is 10 years your junior for reduced autism
> Never trust your bankman
> Never trust your bankman
> Never trust your real-estate-salesman
> Never trust your real-estate-salesman
> Never trust your car salesman
> Never trust your car salesman
> Run and do pushups, situps and all the other bodyweight excersizes instead of wasting thousands of dollars over a lifetime on a gym you never visit because the autism is too strong in you.
> Never get into a relationship with a foreigner from a less developed country (Eastern Europe, Africa, ME, Asia, etc.
>>
>>1717691
I have a power rack with cable attachment, heavy duty adjustable bench, 250kg of weights olympic weights (and barbell).

Shit cost me $500. Just buy secondhand and save that gym money scrub nub
>>
>>1718179
>Never get into a relationship with a foreigner from a less developed country (Eastern Europe, Africa, ME, Asia, etc.
What if it's a second generation immigrant?
Like the daughter of the people who came here from the less developed country, but was actually born and raised here.
>>
>>1718269

That's different, obviously
>>
>>1718277
Yeah, but how different?
Are they equivalent to "completely local" girls, or they retain a bit of the sort of dating culture from their country (if it's one where a lot of girls marry foreigners for money)?
>>
These always turn into shit posts but here's some actual financial advice.

Don't settle for your rising auto insurance rates. Always shop for better deals once a year or so.

Buy a cheap limited data phone plan. I'm connected to Wi-Fi at home and at work. I don't need a 5 or 10Gb plan for the occasional facebook messenger texts when I'm out. I pay for a 1Gb plan.

Stock up on groceries and household items when they are on sale. Don't spend $3 on X as you need it. Buy a bunch of X when they are 2 for $3.

Don't use cash. People lose hundreds each year losing or throwing away loose change.

Put money back each check for your bills. Don't wait until you get paid and spend 80% of your check on rent and grind until your next check. If your rent is $800 a month and you get paid every 2 weeks, put $400 each check on hold for rent payment. Every few months you will get a bonus check. Use that to pay off debts and get ahead of payments, build a savings fund, or invest.

Don't waste your income tax check buying stupid shit. Use it to pay off principle on loans or invest it. Investing isn't just stocks. Invest in your career by furthering your education or training. Invest in your home equity by doing some home renovations. Etc.
>>
File: received_1747734882211935.jpg (51KB, 989x615px) Image search: [Google]
received_1747734882211935.jpg
51KB, 989x615px
>>
>>1718350
> don't use cash

You mean don't use credit, or to use change as much as possible?
>>
>>1717960
You forget one detail:

bussiness = maintenance is tax deductable, same with modernization measures

private home = no tax deduction

Because of this the cost of renting the same property can be much lower compared to living in it yourself. Which is why renting can be cheaper despite a profit margin.
>>
>>1717756
I like you
>>
>>1717815

It's s good calculator, but there's a lot it fails to consider.

It doesn't take into account what happens after the mortgage is paid off and the renter still has inflation driving up his total housing cost, while the owner has to pay only property taxes and maintenance.

It also assumes that you can find a rental property equivalent to the purchase in quality of home, quality of neighborhood, and size. By and large, that's not true.
>>
>>1718435
that's a good point, but the landlord still has to charge you for expenses before he can write them off. So at best you break even. (he charges for repairs and then makes his profit out of the tax write off.)

more likely he charges you for repairs and profit, there's no real incentive to lower rents in most markets.
>>
>>1717726
>>1717741
>he's probably serious

>>1717756
>I don't want you to continue an existence where you're on McDonald's internet on a $100 pawshop cellphone.
>>
>>1717756
>>1717741
>>1718472
$100 chinkphones are the way to go. Just as good as $800 "flagship" phones from big name brands. ISPs ruined it all. these aren't from shitty companies, they're from billion dollar companies and are much better than anything you can find in any retail store in the USA
>>
>>1718548
This

$50 chink keyboards btfo huge peripheral companies on the regular too.
>>
>>1717799

I agree. I rent too and get a great deal on my apt.

just depends on how you play the game. Owning can be better but you need to play everything just right.
>>
>>1718179
> Never get into a relationship with a foreigner from a less developed country (Eastern Europe, Africa, ME, Asia, etc.

but why?
>>
>>1718350
>shop for insurance

This is really true. Insurance companies will keep raising your rates as a sort of 'loyalty tax'. They think you'll never change companies so keep optimizing their pricing. Some companies do this some don't. Shop around.
>>
>>1718469

You are thinking small. Think more like being able to expense a $10,000 roof replacement or $8,000 masonry repointing. You know, the stuff residential buyers never price into their cost of ownership.
>>
>>1718640
>the stuff residential buyers never price into their cost of ownership.
we price it in, it's just not a significant expense.

I put a $7k roof on my $250k house. A fairly meaningless number in the grand scheme of things. My house goes up in value more than $20k every 2 years so that 'major' expense is pretty insignificant.
>>
>>1718640
and if you think landlords don't budget for that kind of thing you should ask a few.

it's coming out of your rent, AND they're writing it off on their taxes. Or at least that's what I did when I rented houses out. You just don't know it because we calculate it into the cost and we don't itemize what we charge you.
>>
File: 1453690332380.jpg (27KB, 300x252px) Image search: [Google]
1453690332380.jpg
27KB, 300x252px
TO DISCUSS MONEY MANAGEMENT AND INVESTING CHAT HERE: https://discord.gg/MwxZ4
>>
>>1717289
Why live?
>>
>>1718548
I've got a shitty alcatel one touch I got with a month's unlimited for 60$ together on sale; from Walmart.

It's not about using a shitty phone it's about buying one from the pawn shop and then bragging about it.
>>
>>1718740
And also using wifi when cards are like 50$ and having a phone is much more professional.
>>
>>1718660
You mean your landvalue increases. Houses lose value longterm.

You want an investment? Plant trees - wood literally grows money unlike a house
>>
>>1717799
What do you not understand about cheap fixed rate leverage and avoidance of sunk cost?

Here is the truth - home ownership is better than renting if it is a good location/structure and is bought with cheap fixed rate leverage.

Also, if you think (((SPY))) looks good over the next 5 years, you are in for one rude fucking awakening.
>>
>>1717592
Fuck a cream alternative. Arko soap sticks are like a dollar. Williams mug soap is the same. Barbasol like $1.20 a can.
>>
>>1718749
>You mean your landvalue increases. Houses lose value longterm
nah
25 years ago my 3 city lots were assessed at $3k total.
This year they're assessed at $30k.

meaning the structure was valued at $7k 25 years ago and is now worth $220k.

land went up 10x and the house itself went up 30x.

mostly because the cost of replacing a custom home has gone up a hell of a lot faster than the value of land.
>>
>>1718749
I own mine freehold, average rent around here is $350 a week, so not too shabby. Means I take take dead head jobs and still save money.
>>
>phone just got cut off
>can't get a job without being able to get calls from employers

well what the fuck now
>>
>>1717564
You could just not use aftershave and wash your fucking face once in a while.
>>
>>1719012
If you have a smartphone you can get apps with free texting and cheap phone calls over wifi
>>
File: 1468474079750.jpg (37KB, 376x819px) Image search: [Google]
1468474079750.jpg
37KB, 376x819px
How many people ITT are Jewish? Just curious.
>>
>>1719012

Get an obamaphone.
>>
>>1717289
Here is my greatest tip: Ive saved thousands of dollars using this.

If you live in a house its pretty easy to steal power from houses around you. When people go on vacation. Go into their backyard and find an outlet. Now remove the plastic from the outlet and add a switch and wire. You can then pull the wire and free power to your own house. Cover the wire with dirt/gras/etc and put the plastic cover on again. Now you have free power!
>>
>Shop at Aldi
>Never go out to eat
>Grow my own spinach, lettuce, and tomatoes in hydroponic tanks
>Buy in bulk using friend's Sam's Club card
>Always use rags, never paper towels
>Steal toilet paper from public restrooms
>Shave with straight razor; use bar soap for shaving cream
>Use two solar panels I got at an auction for $200, which cuts 70% of my electrical bill even in winter.
>Never turn the gas heat on; use wood stove

Nine days into the new year and it looks like I'm only going to be spending $600 this month.
>>
>>1719488
All that and you keep spending 600$ HAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAH
>>
>>1718179
I disagree with the younger woman part. The true /biz/ way would be to be with a woman at least 10 years your senior for gold digging opportunities.
>>
File: 1483205590025.png (1MB, 1200x1261px) Image search: [Google]
1483205590025.png
1MB, 1200x1261px
>never use toilet paper, replace it with bidet or shit before showering
>Don't use electricity , eat raw food, use public wi fi , solar charger for phone, take advantage of daylight for reading and other things
> cut off gas, you don't need it, take cold showers
>Don't even pirate media, since it's for plebs, get one of your pleb friends to tell you the plot of the latest popcorn marvel movie so you can fit in, get an old e -reader and get your books free from there
>learn how to grow food in public places/parks at night and prepare weekly schedules to control your weeds.
>wear a david's star necklace, but have it only as insurance if anything goes wrong
>forget about women , learn to redirect your libido into more productive deeds
>adopt the polyphasic sleep schedule, become ultra productive by sleeping only 3 hours a night and have two or more jobs
>limit your socializing to saturdays, this day is sacred and used only for socializing
>Buy a water humidity condenser,make humid air into water
>become ultra rich with all your investment knowledge since you now have become part of the moneyless elite
>abbandon books after reading all you need that is worth it
>sell all your things and dividends, buy a bitcoin paper wallet and put all your money in there
>buy a suit, take a walk around the city with 3.000.000$ in a piece of paper
>kill yourself after realizing that being a plebeian who has to fight to survive is actually the most based and thrilling way to live, and that the rich are out of touch with reality and overall miserable, but you also don't want to come back to being part of the fucking cattle.
>>
>>1719022
Aftershave is necessary for not having ruined skin, shaving is hell on your face
>>
>>1717796
>he doesn't realize taxes and maintenance will far outweigh rent
Lmao
>>
>>1719636
If you rent it to someone they will pay everything...
>>
>>1719447

This will get arrested fairly quick
>>
>>1717960
Nigger he isn't saying there is no profit when you purchase, just that there is much better potential for your downpayment to earn money rather than being tied up in a house.

Rent for apartments =\= HOA fees/insurance/property taxes/maintenance

The way apartments make money is by having a lot of tenants, all of which split the costs of maintenance (stuff like pest control or repainting the apartments). Not every apartment will need maintenance at once, and you can bet your money that all complexes have a savings fund set aside for emergencies.

You're the 12 year old for religiously subscribing to one idea that isn't 100% true. Sometimes purchasing is the better choice, sometimes renting.

Renting is the cheaper option for people, which gives you more room to use capital.

Owning is having a small hedhe against inflation (but as anons have pointed out, it's a weak investment that earns a small amount of money at best if you're using the home to live in yourself)

Renting an apartment will usually be cheaper than the associated costs of owning/leasing a house in the short term, which is good IF YOUR SITUATION CALLS FOR IT
>>
>>1719655
What about renting your place to others? That seems like a good move
>>
>>1717532
You can also have sex with the corpse too. Free sex!
>>
>>1717705
/biz/ posting.

It's free.
>>
>>1719661

Some rent their own property while renting themself because it gives a net gain due to the previously mentioned law fuckery of no full tax writeoff if you sit in it yourself and rent being lower than the profit margin you can get from this.
>>
>>1719661
Could you "rent" your house to your wife and claim deductions?
>>
>>1717771
Are you really this dim? Can you not read his posts, take what is of value to you out of it and leave the rest alone? Clearly it depends on the situation but his GENERAL statement, that SOMETIMES renting is preferable over owning is correct. He just used his gym membership as an example and is not telling you to get a gym membership. You can apply the notion to whatever thing in your life and decide whether renting or owning is cheaper. There are lots of examples where renting is cheaper.
>>
I live in a RV in my work parking lot. I shower at work because my work has a shower. Currently renting out my house 12 hours away because I couldn't find work there. Instead of paying $1200 in rent here, I sleep in my small RV in the work parking lot and sometimes I go to a local campground and hook up there for $8 a night. I like it 10 times more than I thought I would. I might buy a house here and rent it out too.
>>
>>1717289
>>1717592
I shave using a regular safety razor and soap, never had any problems.

I figure using lots of short fast swipes rather than running it slowly across the length of the face is better because then the blade cuts with more energy.
>>
>>1718103
Go to their place? Really anon this should be easy
>>
>>1718284
The /r9k/ levels of autism in this post is just... astounding
>>
>>1717289
This is a retarded idea.
>>
>>1717289
>don't get a gym membership
get a planet fitness membership and get free hour showers, paper towels, toilet paper, storage space, exercise equipment, pizza, and bagels.

>utility plans
metropcs will give away two free phones and a $25/month per person family plan without contract.
>>
>>1719797
Don't you have "that smell" that won't go off even after a shower?
>>
>>1718593

You will be the richest person in the family, and your partner will expect you to give lavish gifts and money to help the family survive in Thirdworldystan
>>
>>1718388
>don't use credit

Use credit for every possible daily purchase so you can
A.) Build and maintain high Credit Score (for those who haven't taken and paid off a loan) by always paying off your credit card in full each month
B.) Gain rewards (most cards offer a % back, and if you pay the full balance monthly there's no penalties)

Cash is "bad" just because it's a physical item that can easily be lost. People lose hundreds in change every year
>>
>all this shaving advice
nigga get an electric shaver, the cost of electricity to keep it charged is negligible and a good one will last a long time, and when it does fuck up usually you just need to replace a few heads
>>
>>1717771
>renting is throwing money away
No, you are fucking paying for living space

Why is this meme so popular here, putting money into a home will likely make you break even at most. Living in a cheap apartment (plenty of nice apartments that only run $500-800 per person in my area for example, even less if you add the roommate option)

If you invest the money you'd be in the hole for buying a home (Mortgages = Debt no matter how you look at it) you can make back rent plus MORE than what you would get from finally selling the house.

If my roof caves in at my apartment, I'm not paying the $4,400 bill to repair it, my landlord is. That's saying a lot when I only pay $500 a month to live there with one other roommate.

Owning the home with a caved in roof though means I need to front the entire bill to not have a hole in the roof
>>
>>1720189
So the odds of break even versus giving away hundreds every month means I should give away hundreds every month?
>>
>1720060
>Cash is "bad" just because it's a physical item that can easily be lost. People lose hundreds in change every year

Only if you are a retard. I made more money finding cash than losing it.

Besides let's not forget credit cards get also abused by fake card readers and other shit.
>>
use both sides of a toilet paper!
thank me later!
>>
File: last ned.jpg (6KB, 290x174px) Image search: [Google]
last ned.jpg
6KB, 290x174px
>>
>>1719841
Enjoy getting JUSTed by a gold digger without even realizing it, because you thought that paying attention to such important details was autistic.
>>
>>1720057

oh thx. that makes sense.
>>
/biz/ in 10 years

>person from craigslist knocks on million dollar mansion
>sees 100 people living in it already
>Hi I'm here to rent the room available?
>Yes you want to see anon
>Hi there I'm anon, let's come outside because we don't have power, water, or a/c or heat in here
>wtf why?
>it costs too much money
>How much could it possibly cost?
>more than 0 and therefore too much
>do I get anything else with the room?
>nope we also don't have toilet paper, we steal all our water and food and it's old and bad. Fuck you. So the room is $3K a month you want it or not?
>Um I think I'll go try a homeless shelter instead
>>
>>1720400
Aka California in current year
>>
>>1717771
>That's because renting is throwing money away.
that's literal bullshit
rent is more expensive but low risk
buy is cheaper generally by some 10% or so but high risk and will cost you in opportunity along the line
>>
>>1717771
>That's because renting is throwing money away.

I mean you get a place to live, don't have to maintain it, and aren't tied down. If you're young and can make big salary increases moving jobs there's no reason to buy unless you're settling down.
>>
>>1717289
I reuse the same plastic fork for my ramen lunch every day. Going on a month so far
>>
>>1717691
Renting an apartment costs me 350 usd a month. Paying for my own apartment is currently costing me 333 usd a month.the only problem is that I won't be able to move from this apartment unless I sell. And I also have to pay my debt for the next 20 years. But hey, I'm literally owning a flat by paying a rent.
>>
>>1718103
Live for girls, stay poor for life.

Make your own fleshlight, enjoy true freedom.
>>
-replace the most used lights in your home with led's (ikea)
-showering: rinse, turn off water and apply soap, rinse again.
-tailgate trucks to save on fuel
-water boiler: turn it down a few degrees and test if you have enough capacity to get around, goes for heating aswell.
-make a huge batch of easy to freeze food (spaghetti sause, soup, ...and portion it for when you want easy/fast food without going out or ordering shit
-hand wash and airdry your clothes in the sink
-buy and install a wood stove, use waste paper and try to find free cargo pallets to burn
>>
Sell plasma if your eligible. Eight donations at about two hours a donation get's me about $320.00 extra a month. Eats up a bit of my time after work, but it's time that I would of wasted watching a movie on my phone or reading a book anyways. Anyone else got easy and relatively safe ways to earn extra dollars on the side?
>>
>>1719771
There are fraud prevention teams that investigate those kind of things, sorry.
>>
File: 8vE1szV.gif (2MB, 245x276px) Image search: [Google]
8vE1szV.gif
2MB, 245x276px
Shit-in-the-woods-and-whipe-with-leaves-to-save-water-and-toilet-paper type of advice in this thread.
>>
>>1722926
you should be saving your shit for fertilizer either for your garden or sell it to farmers
>>
>>1717349
Good luck getting laid with your shit on wheels
>>
>>1723123
What is
>a hotel
>>
>>1717592
>Do not buy a fucking house.
>get a 150k mortgage at the bottom of 2007 for a house worth 400 grand
>mortgage payment is $800/month, taxes and insurance maybe $1000/month
>15 years down the line your mortgage payment is still only $800 and probably close to being paid off because you paid more than the minimum, right anon?
>paid off house costs under $250/month for all ownership expenses

vs

>start renting for $1000/month now (because that's the minimum you'd have to pay for an equivalent property, probably closer to $1200 or $1500 because nobody's gonna rent you something for breakeven)
>15 years from now rent is $2200/month because inflation
>30 years from now rent is $4000+/month because inflation
>but that guy who bought the house is only paying $250/month

Remind me again how bypassing inflation costs *more* than following it? Are you retarded?
>>
>>1723123
this guy has to pay over 500$ car payment plus insurance every month so women are attracted to him
>>
>>1717771
Stop being so insecure about being povvo and just look at advice for what it is instead of trying to attack the messenger.
Thread posts: 155
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.