[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>average investor used to hold a stock for YEARS >now the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: holding stocks.png (123KB, 572x398px) Image search: [Google]
holding stocks.png
123KB, 572x398px
>average investor used to hold a stock for YEARS
>now the average investor holds a stock for less than a year

What changed?
>>
Average holding period is not the same as average investor.

Hft
>>
>>1695735
Okay, fair enough.

>average holding period for a stock used to be YEARS
>now it's less than a year

What changed?
>>
>>1695739
HFT
>>
>>1695747
Alright, got it. Thanks.
>>
>>1695759
>>1695747
>>1695739
>>1695735
> this entire thread
>>
>>1695731
liquidity
>>
So uh, what now?
>>
>>1695731
Internet trading, this isn't hard. Now that its easier to monitor stocks, easier to trade them and all you can expect the average investor to actively trade more often.
>>
Brokers and brokerages need to keep profits high. People are being encouraged to move in and out of positions at faster rates.

You used to know your broker. He actually cared about not fucking you over, while still making a decent living off you. He'd take you out for a steak dinner, he knew your kids names, and he called on your birthday. Now your broker is Pajeet and he doesn't eat steak.

Meanwhile, a growing percentage of people are dumping brokers and brokerages for indexing. There's fewer sheep to sheer. So they make it easier and easier to trade. eTrade et al., and the Robinhood, are all designed to make money from your inevitable poor decisions.

>HFT
No. The chart shows trades on the NYSE. HFT firms don't trade on the NYSE. It's too slow and too expensive for their needs. They trade on private markets or make their own.
>>
>>1695784
I was going to say that but the sharp decline started in the 70s
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.