[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How is freelancing in computer-related subjects doing? Specifically

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0495.jpg (27KB, 280x180px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0495.jpg
27KB, 280x180px
How is freelancing in computer-related subjects doing? Specifically talking about IT and web dev. How is the money?
>>
>>1692937
used to be good before 2008.
i had to take a job when the crisis hit freelance work dried up big time, no idea how it is now.
>>
Depends.

You get in with a good few clients who bring you steady work, you'll make some pretty good money and be pretty comfortable.

To do that though? You have to swim through the millions of pajeets who barely speak english, barely know anything about computers, but are willing to work for pennies on the dollar.

For every good client out there who recognizes that quality comes with a price, there are about 100 more who will haggle with you over everything and try to get things done as cheap as possible, even if it's a detriment to you, and will end up just hiring 100 people who are willing to do it for "exposure" anyways.

It's rewarding if you can stick with it and find the right people, but you're going to be eating a shit ton of ramen, and boarding with hobo's for a while.
>>
Opportunity is inversely proportional to your skill level.

If you're a liar with no fucking clue how to actually do the work, you'll have an endless stream of clients throwing money at you.
>>
>>1694251
How to compete with pajeet?
>>
>>1694495

2 ways you can do it:

1) Compete with them on pricing. You'll be working for like 15 hours a day to make a liveable wage, though. $4 an hour goes a lot longer for them than it does for you. But you'll find a steady stream of people who will treat you like shit but are willing to pay.

2) Build a decent portfolio, build up a reputation, and work with a dozen repeat customers. This is arguably a lot harder than working for hobo change because there are a lot of people out there who want things done fast and cheap. However, if you get a decent retinue of repeats, and keep your options open you'll be doing alright. You'll just be competing with everyone else who's doing this route rather than an army of cheap Indians.
>>
>>1692937
I fell for this meme, quit my job in november 2015 and now I'm broke as fuck and can't get a new job. Don't do it.
>>
>>1692937
>specifically IT
How the fuck is that specific? If you want to "freelance IT", we call it consulting, have a specialization (ex data warehousing, geospatial databases, data governance, etc) or domain specific knowledge (ie knowledge and experience of another industry/market/etc) otherwise why would a company contract you to do something they can have their internal IT people do...
>>
>>1694251
this

fuck freelance and go work for a company or start your own

>>1695116
sounds like you got memed into a field you knew nothing about

web development isnt as easy as people say, yea its fucking easy but only after you spend a few years learning.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.