[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Negotiating a raise

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: hotel-manager.jpg (605KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
hotel-manager.jpg
605KB, 1000x667px
I get 16k a year, he gets 19k a year. We both do the exact same job, when he is off I do his role, when I am off he does my role. When we are working together we randomly split the tasks. I'm fully trained in all aspects of the position, but he has the "manager" title.

How do I approach his boss and get me moved up to the same pay?
>>
Who has been there longer?
>>
>>1497726

Me, I've been there 3 months, he has been there 2 months.
>>
>>1497728

don't negotiate SHIT until you have another job lined up. At 16k a year you are rather replaceable, any sign of malcontent will be taken as a lack of productivity and the owner/manager will look at you as 16k down the drain.

Keep it up, if you're not happy then look for another job, and then use it as a bargaining chip AFTER your request for a salary rise is denied.
>>
>>1497728
Do you think there is a particular reason for that? Is it only because of his manager title?
>>
>>1497728
>3 months
>any negotiating power whatsoever
pick 1

the fact he's already earning 3k more than you it seems he's more amicable and a better negotiator
>>
>>1497731

I'm "receptionist" he's "reception manager" that's it.
>>
>>1497731

3k is not that much, maybe if gets paid that because theoricaly he is more responsible for the results since he is the "manager", in other words he may get that because he will be the one to blame, in theory, but not necessary in practice.
>>
>>1497776

He does a lot for me like "Anon can't do X because he's tired from doing Y" and always makes sure I do my 45 hours per week, if I go over that mark it gets added to a tally and if it reaches 8 hours I get an extra day off.
>>
>>1497720
Tell him you are willing to do more work at your job for a higher pay.
>>
what part of shit america do you live?
>>
>>1497720

Just ask.

I see these threads all the time. It's not a big deal to ask for more money. Nothing rude about it. Your boss is not your friend and work is not social time.
>>
>>1499333
Nice trips, but gotta disagree. Especially in small business.

Just today me and my boss were doing payroll in the office and he was bitching about how just yesterday some employee was bitching about getting a raise and he just started ragging on her and questioned her commitment and value (she's definitely not worth the raise-and trying to demand shit will likely only get her kicked out the door first when cash flow slows)
>>
>>1499369

Your boss sounds like a poor manager (most are)

One key rule of managing: never make work performance personal, always keep it about the performance.

He mishandled the situation.
>>
>>1497739
receptionist
3 months
wants a raise
a recepcionist for god sake.
you are the less important and easily replaceable person in the company and you want a manager raise?
haha where this people come from?
>>
I'm getting a direct promotion (think X Representative 3 to X Representative 4) which comes with a whole new set of responsibilities and a nice pay bump, but I will be making the base rate of the new role. During our last round of performance reviews, I had earned a merit raise of 5%.

Is it unreasonable to press the issue and ask to carry forward that raise to a new role?
>>
damn people will work for 16k? That is rough
>>
You were hired first but you guys do the same thing and he got manager?

Ever just think you're shit at your job and they noticed so they gave it to him?
>>
>>1497720
>>1497786
>16k salary
>45 hours per week

That's around $7/hour depending on overtime and vacations. You better live in Eastern Europe, otherwise you can walk around town and find literally any other shit job with better pay.

>inb4 boomer thinks you can get a job in person
It's been abandoned as a practice so long that it's not viewed as low class anymore, Now Hiring signs are making a comeback, especially in New England.
>>
>>1499382
No he handled it well. He outlined to her exactly why she gets paid what she does, not a penny more or less.

He only bitched to me about it because we're friends and well...who cares?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.