[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are trades just a meme? I'm thinking of just becoming an

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

File: electrician-working-on-system.jpg (88KB, 1000x665px) Image search: [Google]
electrician-working-on-system.jpg
88KB, 1000x665px
Are trades just a meme? I'm thinking of just becoming an electrician instead of doing college for something I don't really want to do
>>
I work as a car mechanic, it's a shitty job but it pays well enough and finding a job is easy. Wouldn't recommend it tough if you don't know how to get your hands dirty, working a trade really fucks up your body.
>>
Trades are great until your chronic back pain becomes unbearable and you realize you won't be able to retire for another 30 years.
>>
>>1393969
Trades are just a meme.

College is just a meme.

Jobs dont actually exist.

Money is fiat and worthless.

Wasting your life is a meme.

There are no such things as billionaires since fiat money doesnt actually have any value.

Gold is only valuable because people believe its valuable.

You should probably spend your time so that by the end of your life your time is well spent.

We are all going to die.
>>
>>1393969
>Are trades just a meme?

fuck off, they are jobs like anything else
>>
>>1393969
in todays job market you can never go wrong with trades however if your a babby neet its definitley not for you
>>
>>1394046
You're wrong. Money, gold, diamonds, these are things people believe in, sure, but that is nothing to scoff at. Belief is the most powerful thing in this world because it leads to control. Money allows you to control other people because they believe in it.
>>
>>1394048
Do you have a trade job? Would you recommend it?
>>
>>1394046
>There are no such things as billionaires since fiat money doesnt actually have any value.
That's a non-sequitur. A billionaire is just someone with a billion dollars. It doesn't matter what those dollars are worth.
>>
>>1393969
>I'm thinking of just becoming an electrician

Licensed master electrician here. I can answer any questions you have about the field.
>>
>>1394299
Do you work for a company or just do contractor stuff?
My step-dad is an electrician and he's done a mixture of both
Where did you learn all your knowledge from?
Would you recommend it for someone who doesn't really want a desk job?
>>
trades are a meme. and they are jobs that aren't easy to get. and you'll ruin your body. getting into a union isn't all that simple.
>>
>>1394339
>>1394339
>Do you work for a company or just do contractor stuff?

I spent 90% of my time working for a company. My work involved logic controllers and the customers are typically warehouses owned by medium to large sizes businesses. I don't have the connections to start my own business in this speciality yet.

>My step-dad is an electrician and he's done a mixture of both

I do a little commercial work on rhe side, but not a lot.

>Where did you learn all your knowledge from?

I grew up in a state which has a type of high school where you can spend half a day learning to become a nurse, office worker, chef, mechanic, plumber, etc. That's where I got my start and I picked up work experience starting at are 16.

>Would you recommend it for someone who doesn't really want a desk job?

Yea, sure. The demand is high for electricians at the moment becuase too many young people want to college instead. It's a very diverse field where you can do anything from wiring new houses to maintaining machines on oil rigs. What I do is a mix of commercial electrical work with IT/networking.
>>
>>1394362
Thanks for your answers, I think I'm gonna talk to my step-dad and see if I can come with him on a job sometime and see what it's all about
>>
>>1394362
>currently working at a data center.
>been doing nothing but pulling 600kcmill wire all day every day 10 hours a day for 6 days a week for 2 months now.

>working outside and its Currently up to 95-100 degrees
>when will it end
>>
I did trades after hs 22 now and regret it go to college faggot
>>
>>1394378
Nope, the largest size I pull is #10. I'm a motor control guy and work in air conditioner environments. I probably spent 1/4 of my time attaching boxes to machines, 1/4 of my time pulling wire and testing cat 5 cables, 1/4 banding EMT, and 1/4 programming/troubleshooting logic controllers or configuring computers and networks to talk to sensors and UP boards.
>>
>>1394055
why not? Why can't neets do it.
>>
>>1394419
sweet bro sounds like you are enjoying it then? haha- nervous laugh
How can i steer my career into a path similar to yours?
Currently an IBEW apprentice here so i gotta take whatever calls they give.
>>
>>1394430
>Currently an IBEW apprentice here so i gotta take whatever calls they give.

IBEW does great training just be sure you pay attention when motor controls classes come around in year 4-5. I taught myself the IT stuff as a hobby, which and includes making my own Linux distro and learning a bit of C++ back in the day. I'd course, I put that shot on my resume and found an employer who values sharp people and was willing to train.

I'd never even seen a PLC when I came here, but I impressed em by reading schematics so well that I could troubleshoot motor control panels and systems with 0 experience and a day of prints. So they want me to school to learn PLC programming and other similar things.

But yea, just finish your IBEW training and then look for someone who will teain you on control systems. It's a great girls of you're willing to never stop learning.
>>
I'm a welder and make 75k/yr after 3-4 years in the industry. Sounds decent but that's only because I get a lot of overtime and work on the road, which is basically a shit life. If I worked around home I'd be making half as much. Wish I would've finished school.
>>
>>1394453
cool man. I will come back to this in times of peril.
>>
>>1393983

Hows the pay as a mechanic? Hourly? Salary?
>>
>>1393969

My buddy who is an electrician is 28 and is making about $100k a year. He also has no student loan debt. He also has been working since 18 so he is ahead by 4 years.

Trades are not a fuckin meme.
>>
>>1393969
sounds smart if you ask me, you'll have 2-3 years experience by the time they come out of college and no student loan, etc

I guess it depends if you're gonna join a large electronics group and plan on woking your way up thru the management ranks *OR* plan on working for yourself, making your own company, get people woking for you.

best of luck either way
>>
>>1393969
Trades are good if you get the right one, obviously. I know for a fact the trickier stuff pays you pretty hardcore bux in many places, and if you're smart and/or entrepreneurial you can end up making serious bux.

For example; in Canada there is huge demand for carpenters. Get your degree, get some years of experience, get a network of fellow carpenters and then start your own business. Basically just advertise the shit out of it, do right by your customers at a competitive rate and sit in your crippled ass while others work for you.

I've met quite a few people who have made millions doing this. It's honest, long and hard work. But it gets you there.
>>
File: 1458542735865.png (111KB, 666x389px) Image search: [Google]
1458542735865.png
111KB, 666x389px
As a whole you can't really say if it's a meme or not. Some trades with make you close to 6 figures without wasting an extra 2 years learning about Albert Einstein. Some trades are extremely back-breaking jobs that will make you the average middle of the ground 50k with years of experience on your belt and you might find yourself physically done by your 40s. I think Trades are better than college for a lot of things, but some trades are a waste of time. I would of done Auto Tech or Auto Maintenance if I wasn't working on Accounting.
>>
>>1394503
Probably working his ass off like 6 days a week 10 hour days maybe sunday too. Also depends where you live, can either make $44/hr in Seattle or $27/hr in Texas
>>
File: 1425843858176.jpg (44KB, 389x366px) Image search: [Google]
1425843858176.jpg
44KB, 389x366px
I fell for the trades meme

>know PLC programming
>learned C programming
>know how to create electrical circuits and shit
>know about data communications like foundation fieldbus, HART, 4-20mA, ect...
>know about variable frequency drives, valves, pumps, ect
>know control theory

muh skilled worker shortage

Still can't find a job so I decided to enroll in university
>>
>>1393969

Go for it. You'll definately be better off than all the people who do go to college for shit they don't want to do.

Also consider the military, or taking one of those jobs that is incredible but requires you to relocate. I'm told they exist.
>>
>>1394046

You have to choose to believe something at some point. The only the you know for sure is you think therefore you are. The rest is just what you choose to believe.
>>
>Apprentice mechanic in an area with lots of universities
>Have been offered jobs by other companies as everyone in the area is going to uni's instead of trades
>$50 starting wage when i get my certificate

The trick with getting a trade is then finding the best area for you to move to, places where university enrollment is high are good
>>
>>1396360
>>1396480
Where are you from?
In Ontario, most trades are impossible to get into.
>>
>>1396480
>>$50 starting wage when i get my certificate
You're full of shit.
>>
My buddy is a pipeline welder currently in Oklahoma. He showed me a picture of his weekly check. Fucker made 6k that week. 70ish hours. I'm almost done with welding school, my first job that required any welding payed me 27/hour 80 per diem to pay for hotel and food. The work was honestly not hard nor hot cause night shift.
>>
>>1396522
Also I used the money I made to pay for my 2 year schooling. Literally 0$ in debt atm
>>
If you plan to get into a trade job, keep in mind you need to save a fuckton of money so when you retire, you can have a decent life. Also keep in mind that trades usually take a bigger toll in health than most jobs.
>>
>>1393969

It helps if you're passionate in any of the fields. You don't even really need to be passionate but rather you just have not to hate what you're doing.

I say this because you could honestly take a trade and become your own business. Take some time to work under someone, find out what their flaws are in their business as well as the industry and see if you can improve on that
>>
>>1396548
My step-dad owns his own company, figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to work under him for a bit, but the thought of not going to college also scared me a bit, but I just have no clue what to study
>>
>>1396294

Yeah he's working pretty hard. He's in FLA now.
>>
>>1394453
How do you join IBEW?
>>
>>1397850
google maps your local ibew union hall
go there and talk to them about joining. They'll walk you through it from there.
>>
>>1396515
Alberta, economy is shit right now. Been applying to other provinces but no response.
>>
>>1397912
It's not just the economy. The problem is the Journeyman to Apprentice ratio, which makes it impossible for most companies to hire apprentices. I spoke to my local union, and they told me there weren't any spaces until AT LEAST 2017, so unless you know someone really well who happens to be in the trades, you're fucked.
>>
File: ITWHeartland Management.jpg (89KB, 888x670px) Image search: [Google]
ITWHeartland Management.jpg
89KB, 888x670px
>>1393969
Research the the trade company and often the parent corporate company. ITW heartland is a sinking ship.
>>
>>1394299
I'm reading basic electricity by Van Valkenburgh. I'm also teaching myself advanced math starting from algebra. Bought two engineering books.
How do I get licensed? Is it possible teaching my self this. Or do I have to go to school? I'm 25
>>
>>1398005
lol bro you can't get licensed just from reading books. In california, you need 4 years of experience working unsupervised.

All that book knowledge aint gonna help you if youre a pussy who can't crawl and pull wire.
>>
>>1396480
>$50 starting wage when i get my certificat
i want to believe.jpg
>>
>hear from multiple people that the last generation of welders is retiring
>not enough people are learning the trade so it will be easy tofind work
>learn to weld
>all welding jobs still require 3+ years of experience
Trades are just a shitty meme, dont bother
>>
>>1394457
just grind it then retire?
>>
>>1402843
Grind it until you get the experience to start your own company or until you have your certs and experience to work for a better company.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.