[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Newfag here Here's what I don't understand about stocks...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: LF.jpg (28KB, 350x234px) Image search: [Google]
LF.jpg
28KB, 350x234px
Newfag here

Here's what I don't understand about stocks...

If I have £1000 to lose, I can just invest it in shares. Once I do that I just have to wait for the value to go up. Worst case scenario the value of the shares goes to £0. I can only lose the investment I put in. So, providing I don't mind losing the money, there's really no downside.

Isn't it then smart for me to put a small amount of my earnings each month into stocks and shares? Why do people panic when stock market goes down when, eventually, the market will go back up?
>>
>>1349194
Historically the market has only ever "always gone up" over 20 year timespans.

Some people are not investing for 20+ years in the future, impatient, or scared of paper losses, so sell their index funds (shares of the whole market).

That often happens during bear markets and locks in their losses.

When dealing with individual shares (say, SUNE instead of VTI) companies die all the time, their shares going to 0 or whatever. Those are real losses and one reason it's best to stick with index funds if you have no idea what you're doing.
>>
>>1349194
Patience kid. Nobody wants to wait years to see a nice return. In addition mits people are smart enough to understand that if the stock market isn't doing so well, there are various other investing markets to get into. So yea OP, it's good to invest, but don't think just because you put money into the stock market you'll make a return. Calculate all your movements, and if the stock
Market is looking shitty, just go to another market homie
>>
My mum put 15% percent of each check she received into investments

Let's just say she's comfortable in retirement
>>
Because it takes years to get back any sort of profits. It's not really worth it, it's pretty much assumed the money is lost if the market crashes. Which is a lot when you have about $100,000+ in the stock market.
>>
>>1349194
Thats a great idea for a backup plan, newfgts should take note. But if you wanna ball, you gotta roll your own enterprise. Being a wagie won't get you far.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.