[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the best majors if you're terrible at math?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

File: 1387843833805.png (65KB, 350x338px) Image search: [Google]
1387843833805.png
65KB, 350x338px
What are the best majors if you're terrible at math?
>>
>>1197580
Engineering and actuarial majors/bachelors both have next to no math. At most you will just need to re arrange the equation.
>>
File: image.jpg (54KB, 640x399px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54KB, 640x399px
>>1197587
wat
>>
>>1197587
Actuarial no math?
dont listen this dude op
>>
>>1197591
>>1197590

Anything other than a pure math major is a meme applied degree. Haven't you been to /sci/?
>>
>>1197580
Sigh.... OP just do what I'm doing. Sit down and learn everything from day 1 to calculus in a few months. You have to force yourself... This is the new economy.
>>
I've had my IQ tested at 130. Real test not online bullshit. But almost all my intelligencr is linguistic and logical reasoning and problem solving. I barely scraped through pre-cal. Anything remotely theoritical in math I don't understand. I used to be at the top of all my math classes until algebra 1, then I hit a wall.

What is math, how does it work? What goes on at the upper echelons of math, and what is its purpose?

For example "pure math". What the hell is it?

I understand what wave theory, is, but I'd consider that physics.
>>
>>1197600
Stop making excuses for yourself, it's not hard to understand if you can work out simple fucking logic. You're not a special snowflake just the read the book and stop being autistic.
>>
>>1197611
??? I'm not making excuses? I dont wanna study math, I'm in sales and I have great people skills. This is /biz/ not /sci/ pal
>>
>>1197623
> Don't wanna study
Sounds like an excuse fuck face. Everyone has to work at some point.
>>
>>1197591
>>1197590
>what is sarcasm

>>1197580
Since the people on here are fucking retarded, OP, I will help you.

Nearly every good stable decent paying career requires you to use math. Engineers, accountants, even psychologists have to do statistics even though being a clinical psychologist you will just have to add up how many people you jewed out of money that day.

What I recommend you do is stay the fuck away from business degrees because so many retards get them and the good majors like finance and accounting have small amounts of math and have lots of competition.

Maybe teaching? idk, doctor, but even then you have to do some foundation math units.

Math isn't that hard, you just need to learn a few rules for a concept and apply them. It's just matter of memorising the rules and applying your time to learning them. Engineering bachelors here.
>>
>>1197623
>>1197600
If you're smart (and you are) you can learn math. You'll probably have a much easier time self-learning than you did in school, actually. You'll have breakthroughs into understanding concepts and it'll feel good.
>>
>>1197600
Math is the analysis of anything that can be defined discreetly. Pure math is things like Linear Algebra, Topology, Set theory, and group theory.

Basically math consists of defining things, then creating operators for the things you have defined, and attempting to develops rules for the system you have just created.

Let's say I have a system ABC. I define it. An "ABC Theorem" is any string of the letters a, b, and c.

The rules are
> for any theorem, one may append a C
>for any theorem, one may replace "BC" with "BB"
>A theorem is "true" if it can, from the ABC string, be created following the above rules

That is an example of pure math. It has no bearing on the real world and is useless except for my interest in it (as far as I am aware. Often pure math ends up having uses 100s of years later). But it is interesting to note rules, such as all strings start with A, and no C will ever be adjacent to an A.
>>
>>1197600
>doesnt know math
>claims to understand wave theory
>>
Sup fellow math degree holders what kind of jobs are you guys looking for
>>
>>1197968
engineering bachelors here, i have no idea how masters or/phds work. Can i get them in a related field like physics or math if i got 1st honours in engineering?
>>
>>1197580
Accounting and finance
>>
>>1198046
Accounting would be better. Finance uses math.
>>
Law
>>
>>1198053
This. though to be honest pretty much every non-meme field of study needs math (medicine, engineering, finance, etc.)
>>
>>1198084
finance is pretty meme though. Unless you are getting top tier grades or you go to a top school or u are doubling it with a quantitative degree then you won't get hired in high end finance. It's safer to do accounting anyway.
>>
>>1198087
Definitely, no argument here.
>>
>>1198087
Accounting is going to be 90% automated in 15 years.

Go accounting if you like being unemployed.
>>
File: 1455252659444.jpg (55KB, 416x416px) Image search: [Google]
1455252659444.jpg
55KB, 416x416px
Be a meme like me and go Political Science.
>>
>>1198093
auditing wont be.
Auditing is great, easily the most interesting accounting as well, investigating companies.

I can't see how most of it already isn't already, it would be interesting to see if accouting firms hire code monkeys or something where they just dump in number and automatically spews out ratios and what it recommends based on external factors.. However, There is alot more to accounting than just numbers though, there is consulting, clients: a human side to it. When my familys accountant comes around he has to talk to them about other stuff than their income, he has to dig around for other stuff and see if he can save them money, computers cant do that.

>>1198088
>>1198088
Engineering and Finance here, i think other quant degrees would have been better to couple with finance like physics or straight math, but, the lack of diversity in the course would make it boring. Engineers is at least a little bit interesting.
>>
>>1197587

Guy is mentally retarded.

Study Law or Accounting ( Accounting is arithmetic not high level math).
>>
I went for econ and I'm shit at math
follow your anus OP
>>
>>1197587
I'm an engineer.

You're retarded.

Engineering is math 24/7.
>>
>>1198093
You're an idiot. Accounting is already 90% automated.
>>
File: image.jpg (85KB, 1916x806px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
85KB, 1916x806px
>>1198279
This is what I'm doing, although I'm meming harder because I'm doing history.
>>
>>1197580

Politics and Philosophy mixed with IMC/CFA study. Doesn't require alot of effort even though people will undoubtedly argue otherwise. I was shit at mathematics before I went to uni, but I made the effort to study for IMC and CFA alongside my Phil/pol degree. Just make sure you go to a good institution.
>>
> if you're terrible at math?
If you aren't retarded then that is a fallacy.
>>
>>1197580
Women's studies
>>
I'm a marine engineering student and through some of the people I meet I've discovered a hidden fucking gem when it comes to employment.

Ship captain.

Receive training to work on ships (all types; shipping, oil tankers, arctic etc.) and work your way up to becoming captain. I've heard of people becoming captain in anything from 3-15 years after finished training. I had to put my fucking brain back into my skull when I was made aware of how many of these people earn $150k++ still in their twenties. It's insane.
>>
Is communications a good option?
>>
>>1198640
Kek, I actually made that Zack Snyder image. Thanks for posting it /tv/friend, it makes me happy.
>>
>>1198692
Yeah it's pretty good if you want to be a journalist and broke out of your mind.

Adding to what people have suggested here, ROTC is not a bad idea.
>>
>>1197623
Everyone look, a lazy sack of shit!
>>
>>1197580
I'm getting a BA in Economics. Assuming "terrible at math" means "terrible at Calc", you can do very well in this major. There's plenty of algebra and statistics, but only the most rudimentary of derivatives so you should be good. And the best part is that employers don't really give a shit if your degree is arts or science.
>>
>>1197600
Reminder for anyone that thinks like this retard:
Math is quite literally the one subject where all minds of average IQ and above are on an even playing field. All minds are completely capable of learning math, and it's a universal language in its own right. If you find you "just can't" learn math or some aspect of it, it is simply your laziness causing the problem.

Now that's not to say you're going to star in Good Will Hunting, but that had more to do with his extremely advanced reasoning skills and not much to do with the math itself. Any math problem can be solved if you put the time into it, you'll also find that better reasoning skills or a high IQ tend to get results faster - though you'll get the same results either way.
>>
>>1198402
>>1198429
You guys are fucking autistic.

I am in an engineering bachelors, I was being sarcastic
>>
>>1198993
I don't think you know what the words "even playing field" mean.
>>
>>1198279
>tfw really really really interested in American politics
>but stuck in Germany because born in the wrong country and European politics are boring as shit

such is life
>>
>>1199189
maybe try a move to america? you arent stuck in germany..
>>
You could do MIS. Its a pretty in demand major, and I have a friend who got a D in precalc but has As in all his major classes.

>>1197867
linear algebra has alot of practical applications.
>>
>>1197580
Languages.

I am the perfect jew, living in the Czech republic, I am fluent in German and English, I translate books, interpret when necessary. I literally make money by others not knowing languages. OR EVEN NOT BEING SURE IN LANGUAGES! I can make 200$ a day for just walking around with someone, if they cancel 1 day prior, I get 80 % of agreed salary and don't even need to go there! Currently looking into investing money for passive income. What would /biz/ do if they had 1000$ to invest?
>>
File: counting money.jpg (34KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
counting money.jpg
34KB, 640x427px
>all these math-phobic plebs
>hurr durr whats 1 + 1 i donno oww muh head math is hurd

Thanks for giving me my 300k starting guys.

It's great you're all oversaturating the soft subjects to make increased artificial demand for quantitative ones.
>>
File: 1452493510876.jpg (183KB, 949x654px) Image search: [Google]
1452493510876.jpg
183KB, 949x654px
>>1199189

They won't be boring for long famalam.
>>
Why isn't all math automated with computers yet? Oh wait
>>
Medicine. Medfag here
>>
Law
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.