[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>passionate about game programming >gaming industry is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: 1357782732177.gif (157KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1357782732177.gif
157KB, 500x281px
>passionate about game programming
>gaming industry is volatile af
>backup plan is software engineering/compsci
If I go alright as a game programmer and then it all goes to crap, would it be too hard to transition across to other coding-based jobs?
>>
>>1021513 (OP)
As long as you're not an idiot and are a good programmer, there are a ton of programming jobs out there.
I wish I could learn how to code, shit is so dope. I've taken a couple of classes but it just doesn't stick, so instead I started a business where I'm the boss of a bunch of programmers.
>>
You're literally me.
>>
>>1021596
no. there may be similarities but i am absolutely sure we are different people.
>>
>>1021513
Fundamental CS knowledge will apply to any programming gig. What languages and frameworks/toolkits you know will affect which companies you can work for, e.g., if all you know is C++/Unity, you're not gonna get a job doing web development.
>>
>>1021601
I don't know man, I am suspicious.
>>
>>1021603
im not so sure anymore either.
>>
I really fucking hate this website
>>
>>1021513
OP sounds like one of those starry eyed kids who thinks he will just be whatever because he always liked said juvenile thing despite not knowing shit about it. The wake up call is that game dev is a highly specialized profession, with immensely high standards and it's not something you will just get into like that.

It would take you at least 2 years of intensive work solving a hard problem in the game dev space (or working on a novel concept ) to build up a portfolio good enough to get a decent junior gig at a large company. Unless of course: you intern at some shit company if your degree has the right alumni network (protip: it doesn't) and even then you're not guaranteed to be doing what you imagine it is people do in said industry.

This might seem discouraging but I am not the kind to shit on someones dreams. I just want you to understand what is involved: you will have to buy books on complicated math, physics, 3d modelling, etc --- and fail at utilizing said knowledge repeatedly. And in the years it takes to master that (which is just the basics) you will then have to do something original because you are competing against neckbeards -who do this stuff for free-.

Game dev is literally the equivalent of "I want to be a write" but for programmers. It's something everyone wants to do but only the talent finds its way to the top while the rest of us just toil in obscurity. If you want to make 6 figures a year, go after the problems that other neckbeards are focusing on: and make a name for yourself in new, rising industries.
>>
>>1021636
>OP sounds like one of those starry eyed kids who thinks he will just be whatever because he always liked said juvenile thing despite not knowing shit about it.
Yeah, somewhat. This is a post I needed to read. Thank you for the heads up, Anon.
>>
>>1021638
This is good that you don't have an obnoxiously large ego. You will go far being able to admit when ideas are shitty (especially when they're you're own.)

I wish you luck anon. Whatever profession you end up in
>>
>>1021596

I can't be you. See? Proved it.
>>
It's not volatile, just hire a half-decent writer and churn out the next big indie schlop.
>>
>programmer
Have fun with that.

>Two weeks ago, as the nation's schools 'taught kids to program' with an Hour of Code, Microsoft and others celebrated a 6-year lobbying effort that culminated in the passage of legislation that made Computer Science a core K-12 subject, which the software giant said "will advance some of the goals outlined in Microsoft's National Talent Strategy." But on Tuesday, Computerworld reported that the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics has put somewhat of a buzzkill on the learn-to-code party, saying IT jobs will grow 12% over the next decade, although computer programmers will see an 8% decline. "Computer programming can be done from anywhere in the world, so companies sometimes hire programmers in countries where wages are lower," explained the government. The silver lining is that software developers, the largest occupational group in IT, will increase by 17% or 186,600, over this period.
>The nomenclature here is a little muddy, since "programmers" and "software developers" are often used interchangeably. Here's how they're distinguished in this article: "Programmers are focused on coding and implementing requirements, and that’s why they may be more susceptible to offshoring, in contrast to software developers who may be more engaged with the business, analyzing needs and collaborating with multiple parties."

http://developers.slashdot.org/story/15/12/22/1638251/us-bureau-of-labor-statistics-programmer-jobs-will-decline-8
>>
>>1021513
Passion means jack shit if you don't produce shit every waking hour and breathe code.

Your github should be GREEN. Your keyboard should be bloody.
>>
>>1021734
>programmer
>developer
>engineer (software)
Who started this shitlording that there is any difference between the 3?
>>
>>1021638
I started teaching myself programming 15 years ago because I wanted to make Half Life mods and eventually do game programming. Then I found out game programming sucked ass (long hours, crap pay) and it's more a labor of love than anything.

I ended up diving into web development since it let me quickly get a project up and usable by other people (this is important to me), and now I'm the lead backend engineer at a well-funded startup making an amount /biz/ would say I'm lying about.

If you truly, truly love creating games and don't mind long hours/low pay to pursue your passion, go for it. Otherwise, there's easier money to be made in programming.

>>1021734
I have no idea about enterprise companies, but at least in startups outsourcing is a non-starter. VCs wanna see local, stock-incentivized employees. Outsourced developers have no incentive to write good code or provide product suggestions because they have no vested interest in the company or its future. Their objective is to maximize billable hours.
>>
>game dev

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rmgsoftware.terminaltwofortyplus
>>
>>1021890
this
>>
>>1021890
>>1022897

A 'programmer' programs apps.
A 'developer' develops apps.
An 'engineer' engineers apps.
>>
>>1022903
>A 'programmer' programs apps.
>A 'developer' develops apps.
>An 'engineer' engineers apps.

What the difference between programming, developing and engineering? Oh and coding, that's a common one.
>>
>>1022909

Metaphorically, these workers are different apps *for* apps.

Oh, and "coding" consists of apping apps.
>>
>>1022909
A programmer is just a monkey in India that just types code all day long, they are just issued orders and work for pennies, their work is shit and only morons use them
Developers think of the logic of how to create something and can usually work by themselves or overseeing the monkey programmers
Software engineer is like the old term for developer
Is that more clear?
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.