[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I thought /biz/ might be depressing because I'd see people

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

I thought /biz/ might be depressing because I'd see people more successful than me. The reality is that its depressing because I see people who are so beneath me in terms of awareness of what entails good money / good career advice, I now worry that there may exist people who similarly surpass me in terms of awareness by many orders of magnitude and i'm too stupid to see it.

>College is a scam

Said by people with sub 2300 SATs / sub 3 As at A level who then go to podunk state to study business administration while taking out $30k loans

>Trades make big money / nursing makes big money / Just go and work on a rusty offshore platform in the middle of an ocean / the Albertan oil pits / the Mongolian carbon monoxide, asbestos, and cyanide mining industry

Someone who is similar to the above or, more pitiably, was in such a low social class that they don't realise that, for most people, going in to a trade would entail dropping a few social classes. Who the fuck wants to marry a fat wife ffs?! Why would I want to risk my back / fingers / lungs everyday at work? People represented by the above two green texts think that anything more mentally taxing than counting with fingers is jewish witchcraft
>>
>Making big money is easy, just go and get [this specific degree] and [this specific masters] and [this specific PhD] and apply for [this one obscure job that requires that specific academic path and which is only offered by a few companies]

In a way this is the extreme opposite of the previous two. Instead of a rejection of academia, it goes in the comically opposite extreme. Due to various factors, it is a better route than becoming a paper clip welder, with more optionality, but it's still very stupid. Why the fuck would going through a 5 - 8 year path for one job seem appealing? Don't these people realise that most graduate jobs let people with almost any degree apply? Why do Oxford and harvard not offer a "Electrioneurolinguistic Engineering" degree yet Podunk Technical State College does? Its because the initial two universities focus on widely applicable and respected subject while the latter wants to attract dumb people with meme degrees. No you goddamn idiots, doing a PhD in Applied Stochastic Methods JUST to become a Quant is fucking dumb. People with bachelors degrees in other parts of the bank make more money than you in day 1!
>>
>>1005816
>>1005817

After reading both posts,

>I now worry that there may exist people who similarly surpass me in terms of awareness by many orders of magnitude and i'm too stupid to see it.

is true.
>>
i think you have autism
>>
Nailed it. /biz/ in a nutshell.
>>
>he willingly went to college

The only idiot here is you
>>
>>1005816
A degree only proves that you arent retarded and willing to learn (so you can become a wageslave). You learn 90% of what you need to know on the job.
>>
College can be useful if you actually pick courses that you actually want to learn, but most people just go to college to get a better wagecuck position that gives them no chance for upward mobility.
>>
>>1005853
t. Unsuccessful retard

Seriously the only successful people who didn't go to college wouldn't be on 4chan in the first place.
>>
>>1006365
Nice no true scotsman bro
>>
>>1006326
>A degree only proves that you arent retarded and willing to learn (so you can become a wageslave). You learn 90% of what you need to know on the job.

What is networking? What is structured learning?

99% of people, mos likely including you would not be able to self-study on their own without being near a peer support group or among similar aged people, such as a college environment.

I know the b-b-but steve gates and bill jobs memes but no. Most people sit at home playing videogames and thinking "Ok i dropped out of highschool/didn't go to college just like my idol Bill Wozniak, anyday now I'll come up with a brilliant idea and become a billionaire!... But first this one game of LoL and this mountain dew"

>>1006370
But that's not the right logical fallacy.

No true scotsman refers to something else.
>>
File: image.jpg (299KB, 1231x1822px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
299KB, 1231x1822px
>>1006375
>idolizing Bill Wozniak instead of Steve Jobs

Lol, wut?
>>
So how telling someone looking primarily for money to pursue a trade rather than some college degree a bad advice, particularly those who think a "gender studies/subterrenian-basket-weaving" degree is legitimate enough to tank a 30k loan debt? Reality is that college degree CAN be a "scam", if people treat it like a life contract with a guaranteed 6 figure salary at the other end. However, for those who make the rational choice to understand they are only intersted in money, have zero interests in personal growth, acquiring flexible skils, then a trade job is indeed their best option. Besides, not all trades involve ultra-high-risk jobs requiring to bust three kidneys per hour, while still being perfectly attainable and financially secure for most people.

If anything, I think you are dealing with a bad case of Asperger's arrogance.
>>
>>1006400
Trades are good if you need money NOW and you're too dumb/unskilled/unambitious for anything else.

They pay well at the start but that's if you even find an apprenticeship which is actually surprisingly hard since there's just as many smartasses as you.

You have to work physically hard in pretty much every trade just to varying degrees. Electrician for example might not be back-breaking labor but crawling around on your hands and knees all day for 20+ years WILL take a toll on you.

The salaries also start off good for the amount of time invested in the beginning but quickly reach a cap whereas the college-educated people in good majors are easily overtaking you.
>>
>>1006404
I don't disagree, but the average person pursuing a college degree isn't too concerned on whether he's getting proper critical analysis of the Classics, or whether 20 years from now he'll be making 10% more than he would if he'd be working a trade. If the person does indeed fit this role, is not too concerned for "statuses" and appearances [spoiler] although I'll admit this is pretty much the opposite of the average college student [/spoiler], and only cares about the money then is a more realistic choice, especially, if again, they'd be pursuing less marketable majors like those in humanities. Again, college isn't a life contract, a trade school and it doesn't guaranteed anything and if can't handle that then you shouldn't pursue it.
>>
>>1006375
>I know the b-b-but steve gates and bill jobs memes but no.

Exactly. Most people tend to forget that they dropped out of Harvard university, not high school
>>
>>1006446
And it was because they were working on a business all day. Not playing League of Legends and posting on anonymous business and finance boards on the internet.
>>
>>1006375

>99% of people, mos likely including you would not be able to self-study on their own without being near a peer support group or among similar aged people, such as a college environment.

What the fuck??? Maybe 80%, hell 90% top, but 99%? Get the fuck out of here.
>>
>>1006672
>What the fuck??? Maybe 80%, hell 90% top, but 99%? Get the fuck out of here.

It was a bit of hyperbole but you understood what I meant.

The vast majority of people simply would not be able to stay focused as well as if they were in a structured learning environment.
>>
You are correct OP. Personally I mostly use 4chan to explore the biases of the lower classes. I go to /pol/ to hear what the uneducated could be led to think about politics, when I can stomach it. I go to /biz/ to hear from the uneducated what they think of economics and business. I go to /k/ to hear what the lower classes think of the military, particularly former and current enlisted. Volumes could be filled with what these people don't know about getting ahead... volumes typically taught as curriculum at quality colleges.

The saddest thing is that 99% of them won't learn.
>>
99% of biz posters have no business going to college YET.

Every single day, we're flooded with new threads about finance, economics, and STEM majors. None of these people have done even the slightest amount of their research and even fewer of them have shadowed any of these careers.

This isn't exclusive to /biz/ either. Go to /fit/, /g/, /o/, /out/, or /ck/ and all you see are either shit posting threads or threads asking other people to spoon feed them basic 101 information on the subject matter.
>>
>>1006703
>None of these people have done even the slightest amount of their research and even fewer of them have shadowed any of these careers.

They watched Wolf of Wallstreet and now have that teenaged "Lol i got no morals xDDD time to become big businessman"
>>
College is mainly good for networking. I went to college for 2 years and dropped out for an internship at a startup and now I work here full time with no debt making buku start-up cash at 20. Couldn't have done that without establishing a network and being able to put some solid stuff on my resume / CV that I got from college. College is a scam for 4chan because most of you couldn't talk to someone and establish an network, much less talk to someone intelligently and establish a valuable network. If you aren't networking in college get the hell out and work at McDonalds. Atleast then you won't have debt. Better yet, if you can't pay for all your schooling with scholarships just go work a wage or trade job.
>>
>>1005816
u just broke nigga
>>
>hur dur stupid ppl r scary
>I'm afraid some ppl on internet r better than special snowflake me
>also implying 4chan is better for anything other than shitposting and starting fights

Fuk outta here, if you want to get anywhere is life, start criticizing yourself ya faggot
>>
>>1005816
>Sub 2300 SAT
So literally 99% of the tested population. Literally.

This is shit bait but it got me to respond.
>>
>>1005853

If you go to college in hopes of a better future, your another cuckold in cuckold land. Though if you go to college to become a more enlightened, intelligent, and well rounded individual seeking knowledge for a more robust position within society I must admit you're onto something.

College isn't suppose to be what it is deemed to be, it is to be just a gateway drug.
>>
>>1006404

> trades
> dumb
> our future
>>
What's the best thing a financial illiterate can do with his money (assuming he does not have the time to learn the best ways to make money)? Right now my savings just sit in a bank account.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.