[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What type of mathematics is most important pertaining to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 0

What type of mathematics is most important pertaining to investing in stocks?
>>
Algebra
>>
>>1003877
Multivariable Calculus
>>
>>1003877
addition, subtraction and multiplication.
>>
>>1003877
>>1003883
If you can't find the volume of a two sheet hyperboloid then you should just quit
>>
>>1003877
Stochastic Calculus
>>
>>1003877
Depends on your investing style. If you want to trade you should be adept at advanced stats, calc, matrices. If you're into value investing basic arithmetic is enough, maybe a bit of simple algebra. You can also mix styles using stats background to back test covariance between strategies shared.
>>
Okay so he asked what is most important, but if I'm in university for Mathematics Honours, should I specialize in something like Financial Mathematics and Accounting, or Statistics, or Bioinformatics, or what? Cuz I have to pick a specialization, it can be Actuarial Science, Applied Math and Stats, Applied Stats, Applied Math, etc etc etc

Which is the one that encompasses everything I'd need to know, basically which is the hardest and toughest Math specialization? Mathematical Finance?
>>
>>1003952
Electrical engineering

You learn all the math you would realistically ever need AND get a degree that you can actually use
>>
(the price of the stock when you bought it * the amount you bought) - (the price of the stock when you sold * the same amount as before) - taxes - fees = profit.
if profit > 20% of (the price of the stock when you bought it * the amount you bought) then i want to be your friend :-)
>>
>>1003877
i want to shove my nose directly up her asshole and take many long, deep, lung filling inhales until i pas out and enter a lucid dream where i can continue to do the same.
>>
All you math you need to learn you learn in elementary school.
>>
>>1003952
pick a career than specialize in it. do a quick google search for what you need to specialize in. It is stupid to study bioinformatics when you want to go into finance.

Doesn't wall street hire math phds? not people with bachelors.
>>
>>1003877
High test math
>>
>>1003952
So you are smart enough to study maths at uni level but not smart enough to decide which specialization to chose. Interesting.
>>
Fundamental investing requires very little math. Understanding how to read financial statements, and a bit of algebra is all you really need.

Valuing bonds and stocks requires algebra and a bit of mathematical sense. Calculating things like duration and convexity are not mathematically difficult, just the ability to understand mathematical notation. If you wanna take shortcuts for duration and convexity, you can use calculus to find these.

Option Valuation and trading is more difficult. You'll need calculus, both standard and stochastic, along with some linear algebra and diff eq (preferably some experience with pde's).

In reality though, unless you're working for a hedge fund, trading requires very little math.For all of the above, you'll wanna make sure you know a bit of statistics.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 0

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.