[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>zuckerberg was 25 when facebook reached 500 million users

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 7

File: shutterstock_93912859.jpg (178KB, 575x532px) Image search: [Google]
shutterstock_93912859.jpg
178KB, 575x532px
>zuckerberg was 25 when facebook reached 500 million users
>evan spiegel was 23 when offered billions for snapchat

See guys, there's still lots of time to become a success!
>>
>>1001757
I'm 18 year old entrepreneur who wants to make his first million before he turns 21. I will have no bills to pay until I move out (which will be whenever I decide to do so).

How can I ensure that I end up making my first million before 21? What are some measures I can take? How do I increase my creativity?
>>
>>1001762
buy kneepads
>>
>Zuckerjew stole the idea from other programmers at Harvard
>Spiegel sucked off his daddy cock for his money and contacts
You won't make it. You need an average of 30k to start a startup.
>>
>>1001762
You have much to learn man. Zuckerburg and whatnot are 1 in a million chances. Probably 1 in a billion. There is a 60% chance your business will fail in the first year. 80% chance it will fail in 3 years.

However, don't sweat it. Making millions is close to impossible in a few years but if you keep at it, after a decade or two you might become a millionaire or better. It takes time and you end up burning through some bad business ideas
>>
>>1001757
http://www.businessinsider.com/people-who-became-successful-after-age-40-2014-9?IR=T
>>
File: image.jpg (71KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71KB, 620x400px
They made their money by selling all your private information and other highly illegal shiznaz you fucktard, unless you're prepared to commit some hardcore cybercrime you won't be making shit my snizznow.

>"no man has ever made a million dollars legally or someshit like that" - old rich guy
>>
>>1001779
Or you could whore out yourself and equity in your company to greedy investors.
>>
>>1003313
Well why don't you then?

Make your own botnet and make millions
>>
>>1003342
Because I'm not a bad person and because I'd rather carve out my own path to success. 'Social Media' platforms that steal private information to sell them to the highest bidder are a dime a dozen.
>>
>>1003342
It's only legal when you cut the gubmint in on the action, and that market is clearly saturated.
>>
File: le sad lizard.jpg (26KB, 400x343px) Image search: [Google]
le sad lizard.jpg
26KB, 400x343px
>be 21
>theres already people younger than me who make way more money
>>
>>1003369
get angry anon
>>
>>1001757
>there's still lots of time to become a success

I quit my job today and want to start a website.

My friend told me though if I don't make it myself, it will ultimately be stolen or I won't make a profit. What should I do?
>>
>>1003405
learn to program it yourself, it is not hard. Use meteor since it does most of the work for you. What kind of website do you want to do tho? Quitting your job to build a website is crasy talk
>>
>>1003369

Kind of makes you wish you listened to your parents when they started talking about college at age 8 huh?

The entire idea of everyone is a winner, everyone should just do what makes them happy and enjoy life, easy go lucky attitude is a major problem when you realize if you DONT have your shit figured out and on track by the time you set foot on high school hallways, you are already behind in life
>>
>>1003405
Search Madhur Bhatia on jewtube.
Bad Tutorials channel.
Good source to learn web dev basics
>>
>>1003405

No one in-house develops websites these days. No one. That said, you also do not use a design company that is not US based or yes, it wont be "stolen" per say... but everything they do for your website will be saved as a template and toolbox so the next customer they get, they can pitch it to them, sell it again, and make even more money
>>
>>1003454
>>1003466

Really? You guys are telling a person who has no design experience, no idea what the Gasalt theory is, no experience with customer acceptance testing...

Yea, tell him to "just use a WYSIWYG editor"...Its easy. Baby's first website, hell, Baby's first 20 websites will totally look professional.

While you are at it why dont you tell him to just run his own shopping cart and web servers too... You can buy the stuff on Ebay used, no reason to pay someone monthly for stuff like PCI compliance or hosting right?

Is /biz/ stupid? Honestly ignorant? Or just good enough at trolling to rustle my inner nerd?
>>
>>1003454
That's what I figured, but I literally know nothing about websites. I started reading about on what most major websites run including 4 chan (html, mysql, etc)

>meteor
I don't even know what this is or what it's used for.

Well . . . I guess this thread won't get a lot of attention so, might as well tell you everything. I don't have a proper description for it yet and no one I've told seems to get it even though it's simple, but anyways-

It's a website designed to connect people to people to groups based solely and only on user input.
YOU basically type in and enter anything (letters, words, phrases, things, games, movies etc)
Anything, literally anything, and it adds that thing to your "profile, ip, login, anonymous, whatever".

Once you have entered enough (minimum a hundred or thousand) it will then show you a list with the users in percentages who entered all the same things as you, which again, could be anything swirling around in their brain they felt the need to type and add.

I feel this would make for an interesting experiment/website that solely connects people on exact user entered input with no outline, format, categories, or guidance whatsoever.

Also once an input-item has reached a certain number entries from users, it turns into a forum. Have a lot more ideas, but that's the basis for now.

I should also mention I have 3 grand saved right now and am very serious.
>>1003466
What about what these anons said >>1003483
>>1003471
>>
>>1003483
>PCI compliance
Why wouldn't you just use fucking paypal only you dipshit?
Mainly because:
•Nobody wants to give out their CC to some random site on the internet
•Everyone already has paypal
•Paypal is responsible for the security of financial transactions conducted through paypal

>Yea, tell him to "just use a WYSIWYG editor"...Its easy. Baby's first website, hell, Baby's first 20 websites will totally look professional.
Websites don't really need to look professional if you're doing a smalltime gig.
If you're trying to corner a multimillion dollar market/attract vc funding/be bought out for lots of cash, then sure.
> no idea what the Gasalt theory is
Are you some kind of arts major trying to justify his existence right now?
>>
>>1001757

>2 people out of 7 billion
>>
>>1003495
So I guess a better way to look at it is like

A better super user created version of /soc/ (that is person to person) overlayed onto a user created/populated boards of 4 chan with limitless possibilities?
>>
>>1003505

1. Because Paypal is just the payment processor, and they also charge more money than any bank in existence... you pay dearly for that convenience. That said, there is a whole lot more to a website than the payment processor. Namely taxation for the purchases, shipping restrictions, product restrictions, integration into an ERP system, etc

2. You are a company. Not 3 kids doing 6 orders a month. No one is going to use a website that looks like a Wordpress with WooComerce Tshirt site. Its a very poor representation of your company and is an even worse first impression.

3. There are multiple theories of design based around user experience and expectation. Entire areas of design are based around user click rate, customer return rate, ease of use, aesthetics, etc. Yes, where you place the "log-in" button actually matters. As does its shape and color. Why does Windows look the way it does? What does iOS? It is that way because of things like the Gasalt theory.

This is also a big reason why 1 design company quotes you out at 5k and another respected firm quotes you out at 35k. The guy doing it for 5 is going to throw together crap in Dreamweaver, MAYBE do a few custom button designs in Photoshop, and pump out something that looks exactly like a nicely done Myspace page
>>
>>1003495

You are going to need to be fairly proficient in Python and SQL. Though most times something like that would be done in Ruby with a SQL backend because Ruby is so much faster. Python is pretty much king of large internet data analysis projects however. (think Google)
>>
>>1003567
>internet data analysis

Are you saying there will be analysis on the website? I was basically just gonna have it match people on exact input (not using any algorithms or systems) and forum creation would be automatic and moderated by the highest user of the forum.
>>
>>1003546
>No one is going to use a website that looks like a Wordpress with WooComerce Tshirt site.
While I agree with you in principle that bad design choices will drive people from your shit, you don't need to have a great design to avoid that category.
See: the site we're on right now, for instance.

>3. There are multiple theories of design based around user experience and expectation. Entire areas of design are based around user click rate, customer return rate, ease of use, aesthetics, etc. Yes, where you place the "log-in" button actually matters. As does its shape and color. Why does Windows look the way it does? What does iOS? It is that way because of things like the Gasalt theory.
Eh sure, but a lot of that stuff you can just wing by looking at what you have and comparing it to websites you like/don't like and refining from there.

>and they also charge more money than any bank in existence.
Isn't Paypal's max like 3.5%? Banks here charge 2-3%; the difference seems marginal to me.

Again, meh. Honestly if you're not huge it seems ridiculous to shell out 35k for a website, unless the express purpose of said website -is- the user experience.
>>
>>1003580

An algorithm is the very basis and core foundation of matching things together for a computer. Exact match to exact match is not what you want even if you think you do. Without prediction people searching for God and god will end up in 2 different places. Same for spelling...you would end up with entire branches of your website matching poor spellers and ESL people not because they meant to be matched, but because they are dumb, foreign, drunk, or just fat fingered.

Without algorithms you are just going to end up with a 90 million line database and frustrated users who arent coming back.

You need to think of it much more as a data mining site with privacy instead of "throw the baby out with the bathwater, we are going to reinvent the internet wheel"
>>
File: cia funding VC startups.png (207KB, 800x382px) Image search: [Google]
cia funding VC startups.png
207KB, 800x382px
>>1001757
Follow the money
>>
>>1003609
>In-Q-Tel of Arlington, Virginia, United States, is a not-for-profit venture capital firm that invests in high-tech companies for the sole purpose of keeping the Central Intelligence Agency, and other intelligence agencies, equipped with the latest in information technology in support of United States intelligence capability. The name, "In-Q-Tel" is an intentional reference to Q, the fictional inventor who supplies technology to James Bond.

Hmm..
>>
>>1003606
>people searching for God and god will end up in 2 different places

That's pretty much what I wanted. The site will suggest right above the top of the enter box to use all lowercase/ proper spacing/ or end of sentence punctuation marks.

I think mistakes would make for interesting match, especially if they are common.
>>
>>1003626
*no end of sentence
>>
>>1003596

For comparison sake Wells Fargo charges me .75% per swipe and 1.5% for manual credit card charges. Paypal is 3.5% + transaction fee. Or if you do "micro transactions" it is 5%+ transaction fee. Then PP tacks on the monthly fees, virtual terminal fees... Then you have to watch out for PayPal's list of banned items and services which you can not knowingly transmit across their network.

PayPal basically nickel and dimes real companies to death. Its great if you are selling 2k a year on Ebay. By the time you are doing 2k in total transactions a week with them, you will be talking to a bankruptcy lawyer.

While a 3% difference doesnt sound like much its huge. On low margin items I might only be making 5-6%. Out of that PayPal is going to take their 4% leaving me with 1% to... buy myself a soda on lunch?

Who am I kidding, at 1% profit it would have been better for me to just not accept the order. Dont forget the government gets theirs, twice, and I still have to pay the electric bill

Paypal and Square are evil to a real business. Square far more so though.
>>
>>1003626

I will never tell someone their company idea is dumb, but you are headed for a world of nightmares and a website that matches 40 people looking for the same thing, to 30 different paths on your site. Imagine entire data silo's separated by nothing but poor Engrish. While the pure research of it might be interesting, it will be so infuriating for users who want to find/do/match with a specific thing they will be outside your house with pitchforks.
>>
>>1003632
What are you even doing that your margins are so low? Don't you fucking do a back-of-the-envelope to figure this out before selling 2k of it a week?
>>
>>1003644
I could see that

I don't know what I'm doing

What do I do then man? I got capital and the ideas, but that's about it...
>>
>>1003651

Not every item you sell is going to net you your 30%. A lot of small low priced items are going to be under 10%. There are items I sell that I lose money on every time (Called Loss Leaders)

The entire idea of commerce is to build a relationship with a person, make sure their experience can not be found anywhere else, and make sure they are as happy as can be.

Dumb example as I am trying to keep my personal info out of this but,

You own a gas station. You have customers who come in every day for a pack of cigarettes and a coke. Gas at the 3 gas stations within a block is the same price, so why come to me? Because my pop is chilled colder than everyone elses (I pay the extra electric to keep the coolers at 35* instead of 41* like everyone else) and I am willing to make almost nothing on cigarettes because I know once you are at the counter waiting there is a good chance you will buy some gum or that male sexual enhancer pill I bought off a shady Chinese website.

Same theory. Cardboard boxes have next to zero margin to them. I probably make, if anything, a penny on a box. But do you know what I do make a shitload of money on? Carton sealing tape. Now why are you going to come to me for tape when you have to go somewhere else for peanuts and boxes?
>>
>>1003656

Realistically?

You build a bigboy data mining site designed from the ground up to extract every little piece of information you can. You log every single aspect of every key stroke. We are talking F1 telematics level of research here. You go with your idea, but you are logging the pure information and spitting out what the person really wanted. Make it fun and trendy. Name the company something simple, one word, under 8 letters. People will use it for sure. Then you monetize it.

If you REALLY want to be google, but hold firm to the "do no evil" moto, sell your pure data to someone who could actually use it for good. I am envisioning medical schools, psychology research, possibly even brain and trauma research
>>
>>1003673

Now im just thinking out loud, but my god, if you could combine hardcore data mining with something like a Fitbit...You would not only be able to see inside someones brain, but you could monitor in near real time basic physical data as well.

Could you imagine SEEING someones heart rate rise, blood pressure elevate, and predict, from their previous entries of physiological data, what they were going to say next. You at that point would know what someone was going to say or do before THEY know what they are going to say or do...

You NEED to do this
>>
>>1003684
could start with my website first I guess

That's going to require a lot of capital, would would be easy to get once the site is sold
>>
>>1003665
>The entire idea of commerce is to build a relationship with a person, make sure their experience can not be found anywhere else, and make sure they are as happy as can be.
Ah that's all modern bullshit.
At the end of the day you provide a product and minimize the incentive for them to avoid your product.
All the crap about relationships and experience is just buzzwords marketers have come up with to keep themselves in a job.
>>
>>1003689
*which

damn thinkpad
>>
>>1003690

No, its how I brought 90% of my customers through 2 companies I worked at. In sales people dont buy from a company, they buy from the salesman (and in e commerce, the salesman is the website) When I left my first job I took 10 of the 11 companies I told, to my second job. I started on day 1 with a solid book of business.

By your logic I should have gotten lucky and retained 2 of the 11?
>>
>>1003689
No, you are still building your website. You build the backend while pitching the data mining to VC.

Your working site is a bare bones proof of concept
>>
More like Mark Cuckerberg, amirite?
>>
>>1003702
>VC
Is that something coporate?

So I guess I should learn python or I thought you said to outsource the programming to a US company?
>>
>>1003718

Your best bet at this point is to learn everything you can and use the money you do have to hire a couple college kids. A design major would love to do a really nice clean looking layout for you for say, 500 bucks. Then find a CS major and have them do the database and site (this might be 2 different people) for another say 1000ish. Keep the rest for stuff like hosting, server rentals etc
>>
>>1003722

I skipped an entire thought.

The reason I say this is because for what you want to do a large company like American Eagle is going to quickly go over 15-20k just in the initial design meeting. That database and its front end are a lot of work... like a lot.

You cant learn on your own fast enough and you just dont have enough to hire a company to do it for you. You are going to have to be creative and shoestring it until you can get in front of some investors. At that point you just hire everyone you could ever need and you are off to the races
>>
>>1003729
>>1003722
What about site builders and hosting sites?
>>
>>1001762
Work hard as fuck buy a diverse portfolio of dividend aristocrats reinvest dividends and you WILL be rich eventually. With patience and discipline and an above minimum wage literally anyone could be rich.

However if you want that kind of money quickly you need to have an innovative idea, the skills to implement it and frankly lots and lots of luck like other anons said.
>>
>>1003313
1 million dollars really isn't alot though. 1 billion dollars and it's probably true in 99% of cases(Markus Persson comes to mind as an exception). But making a million dollars is doable by most people if they are willing to samtice a lot of things.
>>
>>1003626
Wildcards.
>>
File: 1450395275945.jpg (26KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1450395275945.jpg
26KB, 600x600px
>>1001757
>22
>went from neet to getting accepted to near ivy league uni for a major i like
>own 10% of a startup
>work as the personal assistant for the CEO of a 1 billion $ company
>found out today I probably have MS
>tfw it was going so well
>>
>>1004196
Oh come on. Microsoft isn't that bad.
>>
>>1004196
make your legacy- you crushing it

whenever anyone thinks of you they must remember you were stopped, not you gave up
>>
File: ana-cheri-pose-main.jpg (105KB, 1092x614px) Image search: [Google]
ana-cheri-pose-main.jpg
105KB, 1092x614px
>>1004196
People can live decades with MS, and we'll eventually have a cure in the future. There are lots of pharma companies researching a cure for MS.

Manage your symptoms, manage your finances, and stay /comfy/.

Good luck anon.
>>
File: image.jpg (135KB, 306x365px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
135KB, 306x365px
>>1004210
>pharma companies
>finding an affordable cure for anything
>not shelving a cure, even if it means a loss in profit
Nah.
>>
>>1004211
>implying shkreli is actually a bad guy
>implying shkreli won't spend a lot more on research after taking a hefty cut for himself
>>
>>1004224
Shkreli is a godtier human and I would worship him religiously if he started a new religion, but you can't deny that the guy is morally bankrupt asf.
>>
>>1004208
I really like what you said here my friend. I hope you do well in life

>>1004210
thank you for the kind words. all the best to you anon
>>
>>1001762
Suck 333,333.333 dicks a year for one dollar each.
>>
>>1004196
You'll make it m8. Find a way to find affordable health care while you're managing your symptoms and you'll still make money.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.