[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

be real, is mac good or shit?

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 7

File: mac-mini-2014-gallery2.jpg (44KB, 975x535px) Image search: [Google]
mac-mini-2014-gallery2.jpg
44KB, 975x535px
be real, is mac good or shit?
>>
>>734306214
shit. get an Alienware instead
>>
>>734306214
I like mine but I don't do much like game or do anything graphics heavy... I just watch Netflix and fuck around online... don't get one if you plan to play games on it
>>
DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU WANT TO DO GODDAMMIT.

And also how much you care about looks/io/social status etc.
Ps:the social status aspect might also depend on where you live
>>
>>734306214

For a lot of stuff it's the only way to go, for a lot of stuff it's utter shit. Just read up.

Don't buy one to game on, buy one to do creative work, particularly music.
>>
>>734306214
It's more expensive because of all the advertising you're paying for, not because it's made with better stuff.
>>
>>734306214
It's great under the following conditions:

1. You aren't great with computers, and want an out-of-the-box, easy to setup system, where your hand can be held at each step (either through consistent dialog windows, or with the help of their genius bars and whatnot in their shops). You also don't want to bother with maintenance in general.

2. You don't (and won't) need any software that isn't compatible on MacOS.

3. You don't care about hardware customisation, and will never feel the itch to actually open any of their products for quick repairs/replacements.

4. You are ok with paying a slightly higher price in return for the first perk (the "it's working, i don't know why or how, and I have customer support in case it doesn't")

Although they are kinda losing this side, they are still really good at making an easy to use OS, which is consistent throughout versions.

If you want to be able to customize your machine, it's shit.
>>
>>734306602

The machines are essentially identical inside. It's just down to which OS works best for you.

Alternative idea: build a hackintosh.

Alternative thought: If you don't know the difference between the machines, you're unlikely to be able to do that.
>>
>>734306273
Faggot. No one should buy Dell prebuilts. >>734306214
And no. If you need Apple apps, just Hackintosh. Otherwise Windows 10 for gaming, Linux for edgelord l33t haxxorz and perpetual virginity. Or server work.
>>
>>734306214
shit, over price and under perform.
>>
If you don't know why Macs suck then you should get a Mac because you aren't technically minded enough to exploit all the advantages of non-Mac platforms.

It's the same if somebody asks if they should buy a Toyota Prius. If you are even considering one, then the answer is yes. You are a closet homosexual.
>>
>>734306214
terrible computers. would not recommend.
>>734307005
& that's why
>>
Sounds like a lot of people with little money are responding to this thread.
>>
If you really want a mac, buy a laptop and make it a hackintosh insted if overpaying for a mac book
>>
>>734306214
They're actually really good.
>>
its good for work... fucking around with windows or linux costs faaaaaar more in the long run
>>
>>734306214
I own only apple products. I have a small dick though and need to feel better about my life. Apple makes me feel better about myself.
>>
for doing laptop things, macbooks (pros ((not the most recent piece of shit)) ) are great. they feel great and are very high quality. the touchpad is the best on the market.

you aren't going to be be doing stuff like playing games on your laptop anyway.
>>
If you like fucking about with customising/[ruining] your computer, rather than using it to achieve a goal whether that be work or play. Or if you're poor, mac isn't for you.
>>
Good if you are gonna use Final Cut pro in a daily basis. Adobe premiere pro is a fucking bitch in comparision.
If not, dont buy it.
>>
>>734306214
Apple only have one good product: the ipod classic 160 gb, and those fags don't make it any more.
>>
>>734306214
Its good for its purpose, but overpriced...
>>
>>734306214
Macs are pretty shitty. If you like slow browsing, inability to play most games and a decent capacity, bubbly icons, and artistic design programs then yeah Macs are for you.

If I was talented in arts and crafts I would get a mac yes
>>
File: image.jpg (40KB, 328x489px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40KB, 328x489px
>>734307747
My iPhone 4S still works well. I'm typing on it now as I'm shitting. I'd say that's a pretty quality run for a phone. I don't use a case on it and have dropped it in parking lots a few times and it has only one knick in the aluminum on the side. All the glass is in great shape.

Say what you want but I've gotten my monies worth out of my iPhone.
>>
>>734306214

As someone who uses Ubuntu, Windows and Mac

If everything you own is apple then they're great, everything works together nicely and all the defaults are sane.

If you have mixed systems or you want to change the defaults then they're basically just really fucking expensive linux boxes.

I am in the latter camp but I still have a mac mini for iOS development
>>
>>734307725
nah.
>gonna need After Effects anyway
>or are you 'just' an editor
>>
>>734306357
Why are you do angry?
>>
>>734306214
It's good. For half the price.
>>
>>734306390
>to do creative work, particularly music.
This may have been true a long time (15 years) ago.
It is complete bullshit today.

I own a recording studio that records and masters the music scores and soundtracks for films and television.
Our main clients are Dreamworks, Disney, HBO, Showtime, the CW and Netflix.
In 2010 we completely replaced all of our digital system platforms.
We threw the Apple proprietary garbage into the trash and transitioned to being entirely PC/Windows based.
Haven't had a second thought about it.
More flexible/customizable, mor softwate, more plugins, etc., etc., etc......
Fuck Apple and their little proprietary-everything, non-expandable, fedora-wearing, closed-ecosystem world.
>>
>>734306214
Way overpriced. 1) Don't use apple OS computers. 2) You pay a shitload extra just for the name without getting better hardware.

Alienware is also overpriced just because of the brand name. Sure they are good, but you can get the same specs without even building it yourself. There are plenty of places online to piece together your own. Just search more.
>>
>>734306214

+premium ergonomics
+the fact that software is written with the specific hardware in mind (= really fucking stable)
+if you're into that, nice design
+ages well, high resale value

~basically no games

-not as flexible or configurable as linux
-by far not as many apps as Windows

and, the ultimate reason why I am using a PC after all:
-You can get a top shelf PC, and another one 4-5 years later, for the price of one Mac equivalent in specs to the first one.
>>
>>734309225
>basically no games
According to my Steam account, 216 of my 389 games work fine on Mac. Also, if I'm on my home network I can run non-Mac games on my Windows desktop and stream them to my Macbook Pro, actually playing them there.
>>
It's very simple really, just have to ask yourself

Does your breathe smell like cum?

If yes, get a mac.
>>
>>734308495
>Fuck Apple and their little proprietary-everything, non-expandable, fedora-wearing, closed-ecosystem world
this
>>
>>734309402
For me its the price difference and lots of mods aren't mac friendly
>>
>>734309402

I stand corrected!
>>
>>734309482
> the price difference
People who buy Macs also buy Monster Cable (scam bullshit) and Beats Headphones (scam bullshit).
They also buy lot of adapters and lots of adapters for their adapters (scam bullshit).
They buy stuff strictly BECAUSE of the the price.
For them, this is the main feature rather than a drawback.
As consumers they are dumbass herd animals.
>>
>>734309982
Weird, because I own a Mac but I don't own any of those other things. Maybe you're just full of shit.
>>
>>734310032
same, maybe im a herd animal that follows you.
>>
>>734310032
Congratulations.
You are the exception to that rule.
You only wanted to pay twice as much for less functional or expandable hardware.
>>
>>734310356
>implying the "rule" isn't just some bullshit you made up
I find it more functional than Windows, for what I do, since Windows is dogshit for most programming stacks, whereas MacOS has all the capabilities of Linux. Expansion isn't really an issue since most laptops are not very expandable anyway.
>>
>>734306214
Good workstation. Made for pros.
Expensive for non pros users... (this is not a facebook machine)
>>
>>734306214
Depends what u need it for. I like mine
>>
I have at my disposal one from each camp.

MBP, Linux workstations & servers, and *ugh* Windows.

I support a Windows environment for a large enterprise, it pays well, otherwise they could fuck right off.

Linux is win, plain an simple, for an OS you can custom build from the ground up.

Mac does support some programming and development tools. However, you are lacking some key *nix tools out of the box.

What do you want a computer for? If you want a computer to do actual computational tasks, go with the penguin. If you want to be a drawfag and gain cred with your fidget-spinning hipster idiot buddies, buy the Mac. If you want to stop worrying about it and join the sheeple, go with Windows.
>>
>>734310844
you're a wizard harry
>>
>>734310613
>MacOS has all the capabilities of Linux
- get super-powerful pc for half the price of a Mac
- run ACTUAL linux in a virtual machine (for free)

>laptops are not very expandable anyway
- want bigger/better hard drive or memory for Mac laptop?? impossible or insanely expensive.
- want bigger/better hard drive or memory for PC laptop?? clone the original, pop-off the back and install yourself in 20 minutes.
>>
>>734310844
>suggesting mac fags aren't sheeple
>>
>>734310844
i'm programer and working on MacOS.. All work fine.

And please say me how to make apps for IOS without mac ?
>>
Shit
>>
File: OSTRUTH.png (57KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
OSTRUTH.png
57KB, 600x480px
>>734306214
>>
>>734306333
>but I don't do much like game or do anything graphics heavy... I just watch Netflix and fuck around online

Then why spend so much money? you could just buy a Taiwan shitbox from Acer for a few hundrend $$, and not a few $1000.
>>
>>734306357
>Muh special use cases

Became a declining factor when Apple went Intel, and became entirely redundant when Final Cut jumped the shark.

There is no reason to own a Mac in 2017 except as a status symbol.
>>
>>734311131
>And please say me how to make apps for IOS without mac ?
In a VM dumbass.
>>
>>734311482
>There is no reason to own a Mac in 2017 except as a status symbol

/thread
>>
>>734311131
So what IDE do you use? That's the difference between "programmers" on a Mac and Linux.

I don't need an IDE. Fluxbox and half a dozen lxterminal windows are my IDE.

As for making IOS apps, why bother at all? It's a garbage device with a garbage target audience.
>>
>>734311114
b-b-but then i won't get to have those lengthy & costly visits with my "mac genius".
he's such a cute twink.
>>
>>734311265
I didn't spend a few thousand, it was like $1300 and I've had it for years and it still runs like a champ... I've owned similarly priced windows machines and they just haven't lasted like my MacBook... the OS is more enjoyable to me which is the biggest thing, my personal preference is fulfilled and I'm not poor so I don't mind the price tag
>>
>>734311917
top kek...

Apple Store employees are so deliciously rape-able, I have to admit.
>>
I've had my macbook pro for over 7 years and it's still fine. Depends what you want it for (I don't game).

Sure it cost me £999 but I know people who would have had 2 or 3 laptops in nearly 8 years.
>>
>>734311798
>why bother at all?
Because they can make you a lot of money?

And IDEs aren't the only differences between systems. Most programming stacks (like LAMP, for instance) are a pain in the ass to write for on Windows.
>>
>>734312124
Poorfags, newfags, and macfags that just don't get it yet.

I'm still using my old clunker HP G-72 notebook for a daily driver. Sure, it's had the battery replaced, and the harddrive replaced... But to be perfectly honest, I use it mainly as thinclient these days.

When faced with the opportunity to buy *REAL* hardware, I shopped Mac.

I also shopped with Dell, HP, and Nutanix.

You see, the current trend (and likely future) for real computing horsepower is virtualization.

A MacBook Pro can do a little of it, and that's great for someone that dabbles.

Any garden variety PC can do a little of it, and that's fine too.

But, I wanted real fucking power, in my home lab.

I told the Mac guy what I wanted, and it spec'd out to nearly $25,000 USD.

I shopped with HP and Dell, and got quotes around the half to 2/3 mark of Apple.

I went to Nutanix, and after having a glass of brut and filet mignon with the sales guy, realized I wasn't their target audience (I don't own a datacenter).

So, I went to Dell. Technically I went to a small refurb house, because I might as well be jewish about finding a deal on hardware.

Now I have 32 cores, 256gb of ram, 3 GPUs (soon to be 4) 5tb of storage with a 4tb NAS adjacent... IN MY HOME.

I run XenHV on a custom CentOS build. It can be sliced into any number of VMs, of almost any scale/configuration.

I have Win10 in there, with 8 cores and 48gb of ram + 2 of the GPUs... just so I can grief you in Rust.

I have a small farm of Linux VMs in there that run a dev version of the stack I work on. Client nodes, server nodes, networking, all virtualized.

Your FruitBox cannot compete, apple-boy. That's right, Apple wants $20k+ for this kind of computing power. I set this up for myself for less than a classic VW bug.

Of course, I do VM's for a living, so.... maybe I cheated?
>>
>>734312935
I totally agree with pretty much everything you have said here.
But..., please anon..., please:
Stop double spacing every single line in your posts like some kind of reddit retard!!!!!
>>
>>734313234
good call anon. rather than an-hero, i'll remember.
>>
>>734312124
this. i love my macbook pro.
you can find a win laptop with comparable or better specs, but it gets harder if you want one with the same built quality and with a decent screen, a touchpad you can actually use, great battery life, no aids stickers or cancer adware etc. i can't even use a win laptop now, they all fucking suck.
>>
>>734312734
Android is far easier to write for, and makes money too. Also, LAMP specifies Linux, it's the first letter in the damn acronym. You can write applications that require a LAMP stack on any platform, but by definition they will run on Linux.

As an example, I maintain several "LAMP" servers. Some are simple wordpress servers for friends, one in particular runs a custom Python/PHP application set that I wrote for managing VMs on XenHV. It's very rough software, but it's entirely custom... so, yeah. Anyway, I wrote probably half of it from my MBP. Terminal is terminal, duh.
>>
>>734312935
You represent about 0.1% of the computing market.

If you have to ask about whether Macs are good then buy one because it will last and will do everything you want easily, without breaking.
>>
>>734313706
>will do everything you want easily, without breaking
>will do everything you want
>you want
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
my fucking sides.
feel free to stay inside your little closed ecosystem, overpriced fedora wearing universe.
>>
>>734314038
You misunderstand.

*IF YOU HAVE TO ASK* then you're obviously not clued up on computers.

If you're not clued up on computers you aren't going to need all that shit Jimmy Neutron was talking about.

So if you don't need all that shit and you just want a computer that works and will continue to work for years to come then buy a Mac. FFS computer nerds.
>>
File: Computer_nerd.jpg (113KB, 530x402px) Image search: [Google]
Computer_nerd.jpg
113KB, 530x402px
>>734312935
Hi friend
>>
>>734306214
Its not rocket surgery. If you value design, easy-to-use software and are not too price sensitive, Mac prolly works great for you. If you want better value and flexibility, you probably want a PC. I use a PC, wife uses a Mac - we are both happy with what we have
>>
>>734314038
what kind of laptop do you use?
>>
>>734314181
point taken.
but how about: "if you don't need all that shit then spend half as much money on a pc"???
also:
stop double spacing every line in your posts you retards!!!!
>>
>>734314456
Because the average person will fuck up their PC.
>>
>>734313234
I admit, I'm in a small percentage, because I'm a professional geek. Still, a home VM lab/farm is the direction I believe things are going. Well, that, and lighter, lower "horsepower" endpoints.

I envision a world where the geeks, like me, can have what used to be a supercomputer in our home. And the users, all of the lost fucks that can barely make netflix work, they get tablets and lightweight notebooks... because honestly, the silicon for a nice MBP, hotrod PC, or enterprise-class server is wasted on someone that doesn't do more than fuck around on the web.

That's not to say the poor lost fucks can't go buy badass hardware... but why would they? Oh, because someone slapped a half-eaten fruit logo on it and advertised aggressively. Just a shame that badass hardware comes with a really goofy variant of BSD.
>>
File: nerd-glasses.jpg (24KB, 339x306px) Image search: [Google]
nerd-glasses.jpg
24KB, 339x306px
>>734314297
howdy
>>
>>734308495
You're lying.
I own Dreamwotks and Netflix and we wouldn't let our movies anywhere near your moms virus ridden dells
>>
>>734314449
tbh, i mostly use desktop systems because..., reasons.
however, i do have a cheap-ass acer laptop that i got for pennies on the dollar against what i would have paid for a comparable mac.
- i have been able (in minutes & for very little $$$) to upgrade the HDD and memory myself 4 times..., something that i would not have been able to do with a macbook.
- i don't need a bunch of overpriced proprietary adapters to do shit.
- when i want to run linux natively, i simply pop off the back cover & pop-in the HDD with linux on it (easier that some dual-boot nonsense)..., takes 60 seconds.
- thousands of foss applications that mac users aren't "allowed" to use.
- etc., etc., etc., etc....
>>
>>734315019
sure kid.
>>
>>734314181

The "it just works" is the only reason left out there to buy it and this advantage is diminishing further and further as any other advantage apple had in the past decade, as their competitors dont sleep.

Today, there are two single things a windows-user need to do to have the exact same result:
- not fucking clicking on every link
- not fucking installing everything

There, your windows-machine will work the exact same way any apple-machine will in the next decade.
>>
>>734315542
>There, your windows-machine will work the exact same way any apple-machine will in the next decade.
Not entirely correct, one doesn't need rubbish like Itunes to operate other devices/pc's
>>
>>734315683
>rubbish like Itunes
>Itunes
"All you music are belong to us."
>>
>>734315849
kekd
>>
i work for apple, pc is what you want for gaming, but functionally all computers are the same now. you can upgrade macs depending on the type of mac you have. but you cant do shit for the video card.

yes there is specialized software that runs really well on mac, imovie, finalcut garage band and what not.

but there is the same kind of programs on PC and they may be cheaper or free.

no one really uses a computer like they did years ago, now days most people use them as facebook machines or just web browsers.

if you are looking to do specialized things, both have merits, but ultimately it just comes down to personal preference at this point.

mac and PC are not that different any more, they both run basically the same programs and have basically the same faults,

mac is not bad for games, but if you really game you want a pc, you need a pc.

if you are just doing general computer stuff nothing specialized nothing intensive they are the same.

mac is not shit, pc is not good, they are both average.

unless you are gaming, then pc master race
>>
>>734315849
I wish it was only music, had to buy my son an Ipad for school, ever tried to chuck a movie onto an Ipad without Itunes?

>Android - plug in device, drag and drop
>Ipad - Shits fucked yo
>>
>>734306214
Macs are good for working and shit for gaming. That's literally it.
>>
>>734315992
mac and pc are physically similar. tbh, i think Dell's board house built the mainboard in my company-provided mbp. again, it's a total shame that decent (if overpriced hardware) has to come with a goofy version of BSD. I have never been able to get over how crayola-feeling Mac is.
>>
>>734315992
stop double spacing everything for no good reason!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>734315446
>something that i would not have been able to do with a macbook.
i've upgraded ram + ssd on my macbook pro (in minutes and for very little $$$).
>>
>>734316152
snowflake
>>
looking at the one i have in front of me, the mbp doesn't look like it would be terribly difficult to tear down. yet, I don't fucking want to, as it's apple and I'm sure something propriety (with little reason to be so) inside there will annoy me.
>>
>>734316205
No..., you went to the Apple Store, paid out the ass for "proprietary" hardware. & also gave the Mac "Genius" a blowjob in order to upgrade.
>>
File: 1490630485869.jpg (7KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1490630485869.jpg
7KB, 300x300px
>>734315446
>cheap-ass acer laptop
lmao
>>
>>734316399
why pay more???
>>
>>734306214
Basically
Only reason why I use one is my coding job gave me a fully loaded 15" late '16 MBP because all our actual work comes from our 1,000 node server
It's a nice commercial package of *nix if you need a work computer that works easily with technology, has dedicated support, has build quality, and isn't microshit/vendor limitations (ie can't do a custom rig have to choose from list of supported machines)

For personal meh get it if you have bougie bucks to spend
>>
>>734316268
>redditor detected
>>
>>734316377
no, it was super easy.
>>
>>734316507
Because I wanted a better, more well designed product, not a fucking disgusting low-tier acer laptop.
>>
>>734310844
I'm a programmer and think Linux is garbage. Linux is an OS purposely made more complicated just so elitists can feel smart, and that mentality starts with Linus. Git is the same way where most of the command names make no sense and the man page documentation is garbage.

Plus debugging on Windows with Visual Studio is far superior to debugging on Linux, and that also falls under the same thought process. I guess Linux everyone wants it harder and more complicated for no reason at all except to feel like an elitist when they purposely put up with all that bs for no reason.
>>
>>734316205
Can't do that anymore though. On the new pros the battery, RAM, and hard drive are all soldered directly to the motherboard.
>>
>>734316756
well as i said in my original post, idgaf about & don't really use laptops.
i have one simply as a 'throw-away' playtoy.
therefore:
why pay more??
>>
>>734306214
>be real,
be serious
>>
>>734316991
Exact my original point!!
Thank you, anon.
But they love being slaves to the Apple Store and Apple 'Ecosystem''.
>>
>>734306273
HA
>>
>>734316991
yeah, they fucked up the new mbp's pretty bad.
they'll work it out hopefully or they'll loose the pro user segment.
>>
>>734317028
people have different needs and preferences obviously.
if you're ok with a shitty acer laptop, good for you.
>>
>>734317584
>they'll work it out hopefully
they never 'work it out'.
ever.
with apple it's always:
"we have decided what is best for you [whispers: 'what we can charge you out the ass for']..., now conform!!!".
>>
>>734306214
Great. If you dont have a macbook pro i feel bad for you.
>>
>>734317802
i'm quite fine.
my laptop is for only one thing:
watching netflix & my cable stations when i'm on the road in hotels on a bigger screen thank my phone or tablet.
everything else i do is done on desltop systems.
>>
Im an audio producer and for that its wayyy better but, it youre a gamer dont bother.
>>
>>734317962
>'what we can charge you out the ass for'
Kek.
In order for it to "just work".
FTFY
>>
>>734318497
>its wayyy better
bullshit.
see:
>>734308495
>>
>>734316764
>hi I'm a web designer
FTFY
Thread posts: 112
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.