[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What career did you pick and why /b? Do you regret your decision?

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 296
Thread images: 17

File: Image of a classroom.jpg (536KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Image of a classroom.jpg
536KB, 1500x1000px
What career did you pick and why /b? Do you regret your decision? Why? I'm going to graduate from highschool this year and I still have no idea what to do with my life.
>>
>>721776475
If you don't know just fucking pick something that makes money. It is better being thirty with money and no clue, than being thirty without money and still no clue.
>>
I need help.

I've struggled with maths my whole life, yet i'm good at programming, Unity3d for C# and Python. I'm one of the best programmers in the school.

Anyhow, i'm scared that CompSci in uni is gonna contain a lot of maths, but i'm a complete brainlet at maths, I just don't understand things as fast as others do, and this leaves me behind.

I've always found myself better at othing things like history, yet I took the steps to do CompSci and Maths in college.

What do? Does Computer science theory contain calculus, because if it does, i'm dead.
>>
>>721776475
Paleontology. Deffinitely not regret it. Sure, it doesn't pay much, but I am not in for the money.
>>
>>721776607

I second this. I did a lot of psychedelics and smoked a bunch of weed in high school- ended up studying music production + jazz in college. It was a ton of fun, i didn't end up graduating but stayed in the music industry. Then last year at the age of 25 I realized that I didn't want to be in the music industry based on risk vs. reward. Now im back in school studying Marketing because I know I'll be able to get to 6 figures pretty quickly

tldr; do what you know you are capable of being great at, and what will keep you afloat financially
>>
>>721776715
Dutchfag here, pre master for compsci here goes through all of calculus and you keep applying it after pre master as well so yea.
>>
>>721776475
STEM

femininazi HR at Tekelec now Oracle
and Red Hat
and so on and on

but i always look on the bright side.
i'm running now my private intelligence enterprise
and i raid elections worldwide and crash markets with fellow coroporate dropouts.
>>
>>721776731
What do you do for work?
>>
>>721776881
What?
So you're telling me, with the entry requirements of BSc CompSci is a AAB for alevels, but in alevels maths, there's only basic calculus. Should I do software engineering instead?
>>
>>721776715
I was in the same situation, but decided to Comp sci anyway...the math was difficult, but it was also applicable to programming so my interest for it was better... A's in all programming subjects and average in the math subjects...there is alot of math, but you can do it! Assembly programming though...that should be your worry...
>>
>>721776475

Molecular biologist here. Now unemployed with a PhD. Would not recommend.
>>
>>721776715
In computer engineering at least, I've only had to do calc for some circuits stuff and probability, but otherwise it's more stuff like discrete math
>>
>>721777305
go post memes so others can cheer you up
>>
I joined military in a thinking role, it's pretty awesome and great pay. Though not American so experience may be different
>>
Don't think of your career as a goal you have to hit but as a journey you get to discover. Try different things. Pursue the things that appeal to you and that you are good at and that have value to society. Halt things that are the opposite. Don't be afraid to fail and repeat the process a few times.
>>
>>721777032
Research. And I am working on becoming a professor to teach paleontology at a university where I studied.
>>
>>721777032
Paleontology.
>>
Currently learning Furniture Design and Cabinet Making here, it was a late choice so I'm totally ok with it. But I also like concept art/illustration/comic writing and stuff like that so I may do somes on my free time.
>>
Computer Engineer, its awesome...
>>
look for careers that are in demand medical field is always a good one computer science will be in demand but hard to get a job if in small town find something that will get your standard of living that you want single shoot for like 35k+ unless you want to live lavishly 50k+ single just dont marry a spouse thats a lazy fuck and wont get a job and you should be good with anything 40k+ depending on area till about your higher 20s when you want to buy a house a shit
>>
>>721776475
psych but i realized my true calling was shitposting on pol so i dropped out. the only career i want is loading sjws on the train to auschwitz.
>>
>>721777704
if you go for retirement in us military you can get some pretty good benefits id say dont go into the military unless you your going in for 4 years and out or retire they give great experience in your field and will pay for your bachelors as well your housing while in school just dont get caught up witha a dependapotamus will steal your money and ruin your life also cheat on you constantly with jody an time your gone longer than 18hours hell even less if she is really bad
>>
>>721776475
I joined the military, I get to shoot people and get paid for it. There is a lot of hard work that goes with it though. Don't regret it
>>
spend time understanding how the work force really works...I did for 2 years...lousy F... jobs...shit pay...then go to college..get a 4 yr degree...which I did...found better pay and could move from job to job without starting at the bottom again...went into retail management for over 25 years..was a good job...after 2 years of the work force before college...gave me a reason to go to school and study.....hope this helps...don't worry about college and picking a major..usually first 2 years are spent taking required courses..worth it though..if your serious about making a living with good wages!
>>
multimedia, i wanted to become like a graphic designer or something, learn photoshop but kind of learned that people need experiance to get into it. i kind of want to learn more about computers but kind of old.
>>
File: 85104933.jpg (62KB, 600x637px) Image search: [Google]
85104933.jpg
62KB, 600x637px
>>721776475
Studied construction work and had a side job as field engineer (boiler, steam and piping) after my studie house building and construction had no job so i started bachelor mechanical engineering (continued the side job). Finished and got a job as engineering prep at a stainless turning and milling company for food industry for a shit paycheck but still made nice money because of overtime. Quit my job after 2 years found a product engineering job at a medical company, made crazy pay grade jumps last 3 years, making €60k a year, lots of vacation days, profit share bonus. Love the job, nice co workers.
>>
>Loved medicine and had a nack for it in high school.
>Fucking hated the general population, and dealing with uneducated people and fatties.
>Enrolled in a Clinical Laboratory Science program at a state university.
>In my second year and couldn't be more satisfied.

I process blood and urine, and I get to make the decisions and tell doctors their wrong. So basically, I'm pretty sure I'm in the right field of work.
>>
Engineering

Good but I hated working for a big corp, went to research instead

It's fun. Good guys and smart people, nothing really more you could need.

Pay is alright, guaranteed ~80k/year
>>
>>721778786
How long you been in bro? going for retirement or getting out first chance?
>>
Electro-technical officer on a merchant vessel. Couldn't choose better.
>>
File: WP_20141003_001.jpg (1MB, 2000x2540px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20141003_001.jpg
1MB, 2000x2540px
Chemical Engineer. I'm good at math, it's challenging, and pays well. I'll retire at 48 unless Drump ruins the economy.
>>
>>721779033
I'm an English teacher and I get to tell CLS they're* wrong
>>
>>721779090
Why do you hate working for a big corp?
>>
Truck driver. Don't do it unless you want to never see home again. Pay is shitty compared to the amount of hours you have to put in your career, but it gets pretty good after a few years experience. Owner-Operators can make over six figures but you have to meticulous about everything.
>>
>>721778231

Do you know what punctuation means ?
>>
construction apprenticeship shit but I am only doing part time, like whenever a job comes up. I was doing full time, but I have a tumor and the work puts a lot of pressure on it, causes a lot of pain. I like working with my hands, but I don't like the pain it causes me. Also my boss is always late, I don't get paid overtime. I am looking for something else currently, haven't landed a job since december but I have one coming up this weekend so I will make a couple hundred hopefully. I did some forestry last summer which wasn't bad and did not cause me a lot of pain so I might try to get something like that this spring/summer.
>>
>>721779188
It appears that I left a few words out of that sentence it was supposed to read: "tell doctors their ordered tests were wrong" and also "with the new S.O.E. you're job is about to become fucking meaningless."
>>
>>721776475
Electrical engineering, not bad
I went for an engineering mostly because of the future job opportunities, and electrical engineering is one of the most employable degrees
Im enjoying it so far, although Im losing motivation given this is my last year and almost every subject I have is about ethics/sustainability and non technical bullshit which makes me die of boredom in class
However, my dream studies wouldve been architecture
>>
Archeologist 8 years of studies in hightschol and it's pays 1.6k $ per month. But it's a pretty interessing job.
>>
>>721779342
Only when graded
>>
Anyone consultor/working on a consultancy? I want to join one eventually but Ive heard they treat you as a fucking slave, with long work hours and so little vacation
>>
>>721776715
Math can be hard, but it's possible to grind it out. If you are good at programming, even if it takes longer than avarage to get your degree, it'll prolly be worth it.
>>
>>721779232
Granted the place might have just been shitty but:

>mostly design/drafting work
>big boss on other side of the country tells you what to do for that business quarter
>you're helping this company make MILLIONS and you get 1/100 of it as a reward
>working as intern at first for $20 an hour, 40 hours a week
>get hired full time next year
>salary increase, but hours a week almost double
>can't go home until job is finished

Yeah. I could go on. Just not for me.
>>
>>721779619
This is generally true, depending on the field. Pay is usually better and more of your COL is included in your work, accenting the pay.

Most folks burn out or become senior consultants which basically equates to determining your own pay and work schedule.
>>
File: humor-jokes-32.jpg (8KB, 126x114px) Image search: [Google]
humor-jokes-32.jpg
8KB, 126x114px
>>721776874
>I know I'll be able to get to 6 figures pretty quickly
millennials crack me the FUCK UP!
>>
>>721776874
>Marketing
>6 figures
>quickly
no
>>
>>721776475

Don't be a pussy. Join the military.

Serve your country you fuckin parasite and then go to college for free and fuck bitches.
>>
>>721779470
I hate it when people mistake paleontologists with archeologists. My family constantly annoys me with articles about some ancient civilizations. Does the same happen to except reverse??
>>
>>721779787
>>721779846
This
>>
>>721779741
I studied engineering, and Im about to start postgraduate studies
Is it true that engineers that get in consultancies tend to be rejected by other companies because of them being burned out and willing to flee from there? I am legitimately scared I join one and lock myself for the future, given that I hate with my whole the fact of being stagnated in a job for years
>>
I'm about to get my insurance license. Commission is shit I guess. I don't know much about the pay scale or whatevs.

Any anons in insurance?
>>
>>721776475
planning on doing a PhD in theoretical computer science to become researcher

if i stay in my country (france) i'll have a job but with the minimum wage, so i'm planning on moving in scotland or usa
>>
>>721780113
I've never heard of that. I have a couple friends who went both ways: started in either production or consulting and swapped later.

ymmv of course, and I'm sure it's industry-dependent, but in chemical engineering, consultants bring a certain skillset to a plant (usually as project managers or skill-specific engineering) that can be valuable.

Point is, I'd consider hiring a former consultant, but yeah you better be prepared to explain why you're changing jobs kinda quick if it comes to that.
>>
>>721780110
Wasn't a mistake i know the diffrence.
>>
File: b.png (203KB, 2136x1124px) Image search: [Google]
b.png
203KB, 2136x1124px
>>721776475
>>
Airline pilot. Always loved planes since I was a kid and stuck with it. Graduated college with straight As and did 2 years of training, cost me 130k GBP in total. But I'm now 22 and on 60k p/a with a lot of growth potential and its an awesome job
>>
Try a game development course. Some of them don't use a math wall to keep people out, and all the math you'll need will be taught in conjunction with coding.
>>
>>721780413
No I meant it that people mistake our jobs and asked if it happens to you as well, but in reverse?? Though I forgot to write "you".
>>
Did Computer Studies/IT
Worked in the Game's industry for 20-odd years as a designer.
Now teach game design at University....

it's ok
>>
>>721780627
No it was never happend to me ! Peraps 'cause this job is well-know in France
>>
How do I motivate myself to study harder?
>>
>>721781057
you study hard you get money you get coke and bitches
the math is simple
>>
Out of college now- trying to become a firefighter b/c best job schedule in the world and I can't stand desk jobs.

I'd really recommend getting some sort of programming degree if you have the aptitude for it though, there are lots of jobs in that field.
Definitely go for something with a lot of growth, as right now I'm competing with literally hundreds of other people for only one or two job openings.
>>
>>721781117
Hell yeah
>>
>>721780909
In Czech republic archeology is also well known. But palentology isn't, even though we have it good here regarding geology as a whole. Just the public knows almost nothing about the subject, even though both of them and other geology subjects are not represented enough in schools. Really makes me wonder.
>>
>>721776475
Marine Technology, so much money in the trades and i get paid to fly around the country to work on boats, shits so cash.
>>
File: 2ce1dc5c709dc664.png (975KB, 1024x700px) Image search: [Google]
2ce1dc5c709dc664.png
975KB, 1024x700px
>>721776475
Graduated two years ago and still don't know really what to do.
At first I stated studying Industrial engineering at uni but that was too hard at first so I switched to economics. engineering seems to offer better and more interesting jobs but economics is easier.

I remember when I was younger I had so many concrete ideas of what to become and now I just seem to be one of many. Does anyone else feel that way?
>>
>>721781117
I know this, but I still can't force myself to study. How do I change?
>>
>>721780534
which airline if i may ask?
>>
I do large-scale commercial real estate valuation, head of valuation for 3 countries at the biggest firm in the world , do cashlows for like shopping malls and shit, its bad, a fucking factory with ever increasing bs demands and dropping prices, cant earn shit and idiots all around, no one appreciates your job and there is no real potential to earn big or develop a career, you are basically the janitor of the financial world fuck that
>>
>>721781292
you'r right, i've observed that all job who need a lot of year of studies and don't bring many money is not portrayed enouth ofc we can think about it.
>>
>get tuition free at good college cause dad's a prof
>fuck around
>get engaged
>get sick of school so decide to go for "interesting" major I can finish in 4th year
>Philosophag

I chose literally no career and could have gotten a useful degree. Fuck my 21 year old self. Only full time jobs I've ever had were in goddamn call centers for the last 12 years.

JUST
>>
>>721781383
Project yourself to the future, try to think about what do you want to become, and dont be a fool and try success recipes because hard work DOES payoff in most of the cases
A small tip: set smaller goals and change your mindset, once you reach those start getting bigger ones, focusing more on the task that on time spent and eventually youll get yourself a studying habit
Keep in mind most of the studying is attitude and some people have it easier to study certain things that others
As someone once said: "Free your mind and your ass will follow"
>>
>>721776475
If I knew what I knew 10 years ago I would've grind my teeth a lil bit and learned programming C+ and went with that. No problem finding starting jobs and if you are developing your skills further you are granted to have loads of cash at the end of the day.
>>
>>721781641
Amplify it by lack of any substantial basics of geology in primary and high schools, despite our rich mining history. Well, at least there is not much competition in the field and plenty of stuff to research. But still, how do people know about archelogy that much here??
>>
>>721776475

studied econ, now i make lattes.

I'd say it was worth it.
>>
never get student loans kids, bad idea. the odds of you actually being able to pay them back, after you graduate, whilst having to live (rent,food,etc..) is nearly impossible today unless you make like $50+ an hour...
>>
>>721782624
>tfw you don't have any student loans, because you don't have to pay almost anything to your Uni
>>
>>721782624
Just live in a country where it's not that expensive to have student loans (and where the school itself is free)
>>
>>721782195
You mean :" how people know archeologis exist ?"
Well, probably thanks to Indiana Jones but when the come to the university for studies, they realize that is very diffrent.
>>
>>721776715
Knowing how to program and being good at programming is a valuable skill whether you get a Comp Sci degree or not. I started down the Comp Sci route but due to financial and family issues had to drop out of school. I landed in IT doing help desk and 4 years later I've just started a backend dev job in one of the top 10 tech companies in the world. I’ve found there is nothing more important than your reputation and skill set. If you can do the job formal education matters less. Give Comp Sci a shot to improve your knowledge, work on a good portfolio and you’ll be fine.
>>
>>721776475
Go to college for any engineering besides civil and you'll be fine
>>
>>721783564
>industrial
any engineering that requires quantum sciences or differential equations should be good
>>
How would you like:
* low pay
* more overtime than actual work hours
* people yelling at you
* develop an appreciation for whiskey
* have no social life
* zero appreciation from colleagues
* being micro managed to insanity
* need to do certification exams every two years

Become a sysadmin today.
>>
>>721776475
>computer engineering
Because when I started out programming I felt like I was suddenly given a tool to create things in a whole new way. I've always been playing loads of video and pc games, and I find their intricacies interesting. Eventually, I want to work on computer graphics and physics, both for games and more important simulations. I'm too depressed and broken down at the moment to finish my studies, but I've just got a job at a software security company.
Only thing I regret is not starting out earlier. The money is sweet as fuck, once I get my first paycheck that is.

>will get back and finish uni in a year or two though
>starting pay after graduating is about 30 000 - 39 000 SEK
>>
File: TpwvK9W[1].jpg (106KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
TpwvK9W[1].jpg
106KB, 960x960px
>>721776475
Career: Law.
Regret: Don't know yet. I have student loans to pay off and failed the bar exam. I will have to re-take it this month. I don't think there is anyway the payoff is worth the stress and the risk. You have many other choices if you just want to make money, but law is great if you want to go into politics or otherwise want to have some impact in the world.
>>
>>721782855
>school is free
>still have student loans because living expenses
>also receive free money from government for studying
>interest rate on the loans is <1%
Get on Swedish levels.
>>
Im a biology teacher in NYC. Been doing it for 8 years. I make 88k. I just got a B.S in Biology from a state school.
>>
>>721776475
psychologist and psychotherapist. Studied long and hard, at universities and post-academic institutes. Very expensive education, and still very expensive to gather enough study credits to maintain my 6 professional registrations. Pay is definitely well above average, but I'll never be rich. Also, took me a long time to get where I am now, the work is difficult and stressful, and responsibilities are huge.
given the chance I would make exactly the same choices though, except for the two children I have. seriously, don't have kids. take my advice.
>>
>>721781057
no need, instead, just be a worthless fuck and waste away your pathetic life uneducated working a shit job and being looked down upon until you die and won't be remembered by anyone. have fun!
>>
File: 1450482920396.jpg (75KB, 600x824px) Image search: [Google]
1450482920396.jpg
75KB, 600x824px
Picked electronics. I regret it because all those jobs have been shipped overseas now. I should have done programming instead.
>>
>>721781455
easyjet
>>
I went into biomedical engineering and work for Pfizer. Pretty boring job, pretty much just doing stats and analyzing chemical reactions. Pays pretty well though for a tenured position.
>>
>>721776475
Industrial (Electrical) Engineer.

Was originally a software developer, but the company I worked for moved me into Industrial Controls.

Then moved into electrical engineering from there.

24 @ 66k annually.

Not very happy however.
>>
Teacher.

>degree was piss easy, university life was great
>basically my own boss. I alone decide what exactly I teach and how I do it
>day is split up in small units of work with breaks in between so time flies
>no staring at a screen for 8 hours
>kids are great, school life is fun
>I spend about ~25x45minutes in school per week, the rest of my work is done in my cozy homeoffice wearing sweatpants
>holidays. need I say more?
>when I have kids, I will always be able to spend time with them
>lifelong employment, I literally cannot be fired unless I really fuck up
>salary is top tier here in Germany
>passing on your knowledge about your subject and life in general to kids is great

Living the dream. Granted, the job can be hell if you are not made for it or if you're working in a shit school in a big city.
>>
High school English teacher.

Fucking love it. Pay is meh, but the vacation time is unfucking real, benefits are great, and I genuinely love my job. I basically screw around all day. Today I showed my students a video on feral children who have been raised by dogs and shit. Was hysterical. They loved it.
>>
Welderfag/fabricatorfag here. I make 70-80k a year on a high school diploma and a few welding certs. Company covers travel expenses for projects across North America and pays per diem to boot. I don't get to see the wife and kids as much as I'd like but it's a great gig.

Moral is, you don't need a college degree to get a great job. It certainly can help though. Maybe look to the trades if all else fails.
>>
>>721789287
hey there fellow teacher
>>
>>721790443
What's good teacherbro
>>
>>721789287
You're the reason our educational system is shit.
>>
>>721776475
I tried to pick a career but there aren't any that I'm interested in doing. Everything seems so boring and useless.
>>
>>721791111
No I'm a fantastic teacher, actually. And I can explain to you how that video clip fit into my lesson and was instructionally valuable, buttt I just don't care enough to even bother explaining.

Checked btw
>>
>>721791111
checked
also it couldn't possibly be shit because of standardized testing, could it?
>>
>>721781455
The receding one
>>
>>721776715
go for applied computer science and get some interships. You will make a lot of money after graduation and instead of dealing with theo. compsci you will learn about compilers, operating systems and actually get stuff done.

But be prepared to put a lot of hours into it. 3 or more projects every semester which will make you stay up all night to compensate for your lazy bitchass son of a bitch project partner.

Anyways, would recommend 10/10
>>
>>721777032
I suck a lot of dicks. 50$ and you get anal.
>>
>>721788789
Sounds pretty nice, but which type of school? What years ?
>>
>>721792442
It wasn't exactly exemplary before that either. Really, I think a longer school year with breaks spaced more evenly throughout the year is the simplest fix.
>>
>>721788789
> having to deal with children.

I would literally kill myself. Fkin children.
>>
I picked the NEET class, it's pretty neat. free time is pretty good but income could use a buff and loneliness needs to be nerfed
>>
>>721793024
Gymnasium. 5-13.

>>721793124
I thought I'd hate to work with younger kids, but I realised you really underestimate them. I was really surprised how mature and smart the average 5th grader can be in class.

Also, I'd rather deal with children who can be annoying sometimes, but are otherwise fun and full of life than your average dead-inside workerbee in a factory, disgusting old people as a doctor, greedy bosses or autistic IT coworkers.
>>
Emergency department charge nurse, it's ayt.
>>
>>721793517
>Also, I'd rather deal with children who can be annoying sometimes, but are otherwise fun and full of life than your average dead-inside workerbee in a factory...

Spot fucking on
>>
>>721793517
Other anon here. The kids are awesome but how do you deal with dumbfuck parents and other teachers. The other day I heard my brother's daughter recite "No war, no guns, down with trump". They were singing it in the schools, she's 7. And this was in Belgium.
>>
I was going for business, but I won the Powerball jackpot back in 2011, so now I relax a lot more, and I live a very simple life (nothing extravagant). Funny thing is my family thinks I work on my computer to make money, but I am just living off of the interest, and returns on the investments I have made. Nobody will ever know, except you /b/.
>>
>>721782434
I'm studying economics too, first year rn
How is it?
>>
>>721794265
>The Dream
You lucky fuck.
>>
>>721793990
Depends. For parents that want to tell me what I do "wrong" or that their special little snowflake is in truth a genius and It is my fault he sucks at biology: I don't deal with them at all if I sense that they are retards that can't be reasoned with. I stay polite but basically tell them to fuck off and that I know best how to do my job.

For stuff like you mentioned I also do not deal with it at all. Anything that I cannot change or influence. If I teach my kids about evolution and they go back home to their retard parents that tell them god created earth in seven days then that is not something I get involved in.

Actually, being able to say "stop, this is beyond my job" is a very important thing to do as a teacher. I've seen coworkers destroy themselves because they tried to save everyone and manage everything.
>>
right now im going as an aircraft mechanic/avionics tech. i dont know if ill like it or not but it seems interesting enough and i like what im doing. If it turns out i dont like it, im gonna save up and go to school to fix medical equipment.

>wanna go work at delta for 5 or 6 years and make $100k a year
>>
>>721793990
Not the guy you're replying to, but fellow teacherfag.

>dealing with parents
Yeah this part of the job is, admittedly, not my very favorite. It depends upon where you're teaching, really, but you really just trade one terrible type of parent for another: either you've got the rich, well-educated parents who call you/email you every other day wanting to know why their son or daughter got an A and not an A+, or you've got the ignorant, "ratchet" ass parents who act like they themselves are still in high school and appealing to them when their child is acting up is entirely useless.

But, ultimately, it's a small part of the job. I see them on parent-teacher night and make a couple of calls every month or so. No big deal.

>teachers
Where I've worked, the faculty has always been really great. They can commiserate. Happy hour Fridays with the other male teachers and whatever. There's a certain camaraderie.
>>
>>721776475
Surgical technologist.

I regret it every day. Should have been a nurse.
>>
>>721794577
Checked and thanks for typing that out. Nice mentality. I guess we can't save everyone, only give them the tools to save themselves.
>>
>>721786282
Which state's bar exam did you fail?
Which state's bar exam are you taking next month?
>>
>>721776874
>marketing
KYS fam
>>
>>721776475
I'm a commodity trader for one of the largest private companies in America. I made $1.4mm last year. Out of college, my starting salary was over $60k.

Every single day I reflect on the fact that my profession is doing nothing to better the world. If anything, I'm contributing to the rampant environmental decay.

I wish I would have been a doctor, or professor... something that fucking matters.
>>
>>721778363
same tbh
>>
File: Starbucks_Coffee_Logo.svg.png (221KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Starbucks_Coffee_Logo.svg.png
221KB, 1024x1024px
>>721794301

We'll the lattes aren't too bad. I sometimes sneak myself drinks. Sometimes I answer questions about dollar velocity, sometimes I get tips of a single dollar, sometimes customers slip me a shit covered dollar in between two other bills as if I wouldn't notice. But I do notice. I am the poo-dollar master. I only put it into the till because I hate the establishment. They deserve to have shitty fingers.
>>
>>721794759
Het thx bro. I'm an archaeologist but I might become a history teacher once my bones are worn. "it's mainly about the kids" is what I wanted to hear. They're usually as smart as we are, only have less experience. Would love to contrib00t.
>>
>>721776475
I wish I had a career
>>
>>721795015
What country do you live in? Is it really that hard to get a job as an economist there? How long ago did you graduated? How old are you? Was the uni you graduated from prestigious or something?
>>
>>721781721
you are so stupid lol
>>
>>721795015
why the fuck are you at starbucks? Econ is a great degree. Go work for a bank.
>>
>>721776475
Construction Management here
Its easy af and pays pretty well within a few years.
>>
>>721777249
>>721776715
Can confirm, fuck assembly programming. That was the most difficult class I had by a fair margin. The math part can be difficult if you're not good at math, but the nice thing is you won't have to use much of the high level math in your computer classes.
>>
>>721795032
Go for it! The important thing to remember -- and it's often overlooked -- is that teaching is, in part, acting. It's all about the presentation.

If you're passionate about the subject, then that goes a long, long way. That video clip I mentioned earlier? The one about feral children born either without a language or who acquired language very late in life... I was making a larger point. I was arguing that we do most of our thinking in language, not images; that language is sort of the brain's operating system. I wanted them to see what it looks like when someone either does not develop language or has very, very limited capacity for it. It's terrifying...and also kind of funny. The kids loved it. My point was made. It was a good time for all.
>>
>>721776475
i would like to be some form of "doctor" whats the easiest way into a hospital?
>>
>>721795605
Don't worry bro I'm quite aware of the fact kids don't learn from just droning on. I have a lot of passion for my interests and I'm constantly teaching my friends new skills and share knowledge. Make things engaging. Heard the other say "It's not about giving them the subject, it's about giving them the lust to want to learn more about it". You sound like a good teacher, keep doing what you do /b/ro.
>>
I chose to be a neet drug addict
>>
File: 1454452272109.gif (702KB, 596x316px) Image search: [Google]
1454452272109.gif
702KB, 596x316px
>>721796068
the front door
>>
30 y/o aerospace propulsion engineer.

Started as a game developer working on tools and getting paid just above the poverty line. Don't fret my son. There is time to figure it out. I failed highschool and now I'm a literal rocket scientist. You probably won't know what you want to do til your mid 20's anyway.
>>
Stainless steel pipe welder here, money is pretty insane depending on your ability and you can be a retard and still do it... No maths other than basic measurements you learn as a kid.
>>
>>721779992
i think you meant to say "Serving a bunch of faceless cunts that never do anything productive"
>>
Eventually a pilot
>be 16
>gets pilots license
>gets lots off pussy because pilot yada yada
>starts grade 12
>like to cook but nobody thinks being a cook is sexy
>pussy is important
>decide to make flying my career for the sole purpose of pussy
>join military in beginning of grade 12
>travel all over for selections
>have smoking hot girlfriend 10/10
>get offer to be pilot and degree
>accept deal
>13 year contract
>me thinks 13 years of pussy amirite
>break up with 10
>grad
>basic
>college for degree
>pussy
>life is great because of the pussy
>start doing really bad at degree
>stop getting pussy
>hate life
>crippling depression
>still getting paid but no pussy
>mfw I gave up 10 for career based on more pussy
>would be cool job and great pussy if i was smart
>probs gonna fail out of my degree and get sent home
>no pussy no job at the end of it
>getting degrees is hard and being a pilot is harder but rewarding if you like it and like school
>>
>>721779992
>sacrificing your life to sandniggers to protect Israel

No thanks
>>
network engineer. I'm 22 and make 90k. It ain't bad.
>>
>>721776715
in college you learn at your own pace, im the same way. making time to do hw and learn it thoroughly is vital.
>>
>>721795170

Our uni was prestigious, until we had a not so prestigious rape scandal.

>>721795246

Banks actually need retail experience, so I might just be qualified now. At least that's what they told me the last time I applied. But take me to the interview, and they ask what qualifications I have and I say "I'm good at algorithms, I can write prediction softwares, I prefer graphical stock analysis, and I can make a damn good (lie) cappucino!"

"And then they say, well how the fuck does that help us? We already got someone to tell us smart things to do he's ceo, how the fuck's a nobody like you gonna do that shit from a teller desk, ain't none of these creeps wan't a fuckin guru they just wanna cash their check or take out another used car loan."
>>
>>721795605
also most of our thinking isn't in language but in concepts. That's a pretty old discussion that's got more to do with philosophy really. Language is only a tool but for every word you say there's a thousand thought that remain untold. Also your stance would argue kids who grew up without learning a language wouldn't be able of thinking, I would argue against that. Did I misinterpret you?
>>
>>721781360
Yup, def not alone
>>
>>721796084
You should definitely go for it then. Sounds like you'd be good at it. You'll never be rich as a teacher, but you'll make a living and you'll wake up every morning excited to go to work. That feeling never gets old. Grab my coffee and go in to school a half hour early just to kick my feet up and think of new ways to blow my students' minds. Feels good to no longer wake up in the morning wanting to stick a pistol in my mouth. Kek

>You sound like a good teacher, keep doing what you do /b/ro.

Thanks /b/ro I try
>>
>>721776874
marketing... 6 figures... lol.
good luck 1. getting a job. 2. breaking 50k after 2-3 years.
>>721779033
'I get to make the decisions and tell doctors their wrong'
1. their wrong 2. you have no idea how low on the ladder you are, and how much more complex a doctor's job is than yours - you will contribute a small piece of information into the greater picture, and have a fraction of the actual responsibility/respect/pay of a doctor that will reflect this.
>>
>>721796629
I'm the other teacherguy from Germany and have to second this.

>You sound like a good teacher, keep doing what you do /b/ro.
And this.

Just one question: How much do you work per week?
>>
About to graduate from psychology, im interested either on research or forensic psych, tho my dream it's art and graphic design so i kinda regret it, but since im pretty young i think i can make it to study both
>>
I work for myself doing sound design.

~70K a year and I get to stay home. Zero overheads other than food and phone plan which I claim on tax anyway.
>>
I want to be a train
>>
>>721796901
Bro I did graphic design and psych and I wish I finished psych instead. GD has an overinflated market with terrible hipster everywhere. Go psych, fix some people instead of adding more filth.
>>
>>721796999
What's stopping you?
>>
>>721776874
hey man you went back to school at 25. How was it? Cause I'm 25 and don't have a college degree. I wanna go live with my gf in Japan but they want atleast a bachelor's degree to give me a work visa. But I feel too old to go back to school..
>>
>>721796502
>Did I misinterpret you?

Yes, you did, and I appreciate your giving me the opportunity to clarify.

It's not that children who grow up without language are incapable of thought or even abstract thought. But much of our thinking *is* done in language. It is. You've read Steven Pinker's The Blank Slate, right?

Take this sentence, for example, and imagine I'm saying it to you: "My uncle fired his attorney yesterday."

You know exactly the thought I'm expressing, though you have no corresponding mental images to fill in those blanks. You don't know my uncle, or his attorney. Hell, you don't know ME. "Yesterday" is an abstraction. It's language that makes that thought possible.
>>
If you really dont know what to do then don't go to school yet. I assume you're like 18 or something. I wasted 2 years of college because I got pressured into going and I just randomly picked something. I dropped out because without motivation you will fail your exams and fuck up. I went to work when I was 22 and am now 25. I was happy that I went to work but I regretted it not doing so earlier. Now I finally have experienced more stuff in life and I know what I want but because I wasted many years of going to school I am too old to go back to college for those 4 years... shit sucks fam. Go travel, get jobs (not just 1, multiple in different fields preferrably) do volunteering work in Asia. And then you'll know.
>>
>>721797060
I want to do both tbh and then go into the vidya industry, but yeah im gonna finish psych since in my college there's research taht involves videogames
>>
>>721796848
>Just one question: How much do you work per week?

It varies somewhat. I am obligated to be there by 7:25 and to stay until 2:25. If I were somehow able to get all of my work done in that time -- an impossible feat, as I'm sure you know -- then it would come out to something like 35 hours a week.

I go in a half hour early, stay a half hour or so late, go home, spend another hour or so correcting and lesson planning. I'd say that I work about, oh, closer to 50 hours a week probably. 47, 48...
>>
File: Dex.jpg (75KB, 550x449px) Image search: [Google]
Dex.jpg
75KB, 550x449px
>>721776475
Computer Science Engineering.

I kinda regret it, but what else would I be studying? Sometimes what we love and passionates us is what we do in our own time, and other times work and what you love are mutually exclusive, so don't worry much about it.

Web Programming and Networking looks kinda interesting, I hate Java and programming in general but those two fields seem to be very cool, so I'm starting my 8th semester with the right foot.
>>
>>721797234
Ah yes thanks for clearing that up. Language basically is a transfer of concepts, in a semi-standardised way. Really interesting subject especially if you start finding out how languages evolved and how they have different nuances. I didn't read The Blank Slate but I'm aware of the concepts he argues against. His own opinions not yet.
>>
>>721797727
Thanks for the information, it's about the same for me. Varies a lot depending on the time of the year though.
>>
>>721776475
Software Engineering. I regret it daily. Working with 20 indians who are nothing but chaos and work 24/7 is fucking infuriating. Plus I have to learn something new every day to stay relevant. Please help.
>>
>>721798027
Go work at a farm
>>
>>721776715
Bro, you gotta just go back to studying maths, and keep trying until you get it. You can do it man.
>>
None
Fells great
>>
>>721776475
>>721776607
fpbp as it goes
>>
>>721797892
This stuff fascinates me, and it helps me to convince my students that there's value to what we're doing, learning to read and write well, whether they chose to pick up and read To Kill a Mockingbird ever again or not.

You should definitely look into picking up a few of Pinker's books. He's kind of the "rockstar" of linguistics right now, but it's sort of well-deserved. His research is fascinating.
>>
Insurance mathematics,
I was great at maths in school and insurance is one of the best paying areas of work.
I have an internship at alliance(here in germany) lined up and will try to work in switzerland after my degree for dat dere tax paradise.
Overall a good decision
>>
>>721798736
choose*
>>
Any accountants here? How is it? Worth it for the future?
>>
>>721779171
>unless Drump ruin the economy
well thank god you wern't an economics major
Check the dow jones fuck boi
>>
>>721776475
Learn a trade instead. Everything else that you want to know can be learned in other ways, rather than spending a fuck ton of money on school. Only to come out in a mammoth amount of debt... Unless you want to be a doctor/yadda yadda yadda
>>
>>721798521
Thats how I feel in military college, doing what I was doing before but with profit
>>
Journalist/Writer urgh.

I bartend in the meantime

So basically I am a bartender.
>>
>>721798736
Meh thx for the recommendation but I'm more into practical thinking. Like how hunter gatherers used a mix of heated tree resin and ashes to glue feathers to an arrow. Or how to prepare a rock so you can strike micro shards off. And then there's the whole storm of history all leading up to the point where we are now. Truly the best story ever told, you don't come up with that shit.
>>
File: 1356835190788.jpg (59KB, 960x781px) Image search: [Google]
1356835190788.jpg
59KB, 960x781px
>>721776475
I feel a moral obligation to do what I can to help people live better lives.

Our species is in serious trouble-- we believe in money over the survival of the planet.

If there's anything I can do to help and I don't, then I'm part of the problem.
>>
>>721776475

I got into IT when I got out of high school. I became a systems administrator and bounced around though a few companies and eventually became a network engineer. After 17 years of working in IT I got burned out so I went back to school and got my BS in electrical engineering. I make more money now and can express my creative a lot more in my work. Also I don't have to deal with end users or customers at all anymore. I'm naturally antisocial so I hate being around people.
>>
Barely finished high school. Struggled with clinical depression.
Struggled with motivation, and had a hard time with math.
Self-taught myself programming, was a self-employed programmer for a while.
I
Now at 23, I'm going to university to become a neurosurgeon.
I don't regret anything
>>
>>721799275
this is true, but I think I'll go for the cash, Larry
>>
>>721799289
GET OFF MY CHAN NORMIE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>721798965
But yeah, I installed alarm systems- in mansions. 3$ raise my first year, started at 16 with 40+ hrs guaranteed, benefits -minus401k, 5 sick days, vacation, every big holiday off and payed. Plus, I'm sure I've already called off way more than allowed...
>>
>>721798782
I feel like many people in this thread start off talking about a profession as if they've been working in it for the past 10 years... then mention the fact they're still at university. Ask anyone who's been out of uni for >2 years - you need to understand that you don't know fucking ANYTHING at this stage. We all have to start somewhere I know, but just about every thought and opinion you have about what your industry actually is, where it is headed, and what that means for you, the individual, will be proven wrong in a short amount of time when you enter the real world.
>>
>>721799526
Plus, I get to see shit that most people normally wouldn't be able to
>>
>>721799275
money does more harm than good honestly
>>
Merchant mariner on a pusher. Its goat
>>
>>721799556
Thanks man, yeah I'm sure that there will come the time when my expectations collide with reality.
I hope that my internship will make things a bit clearer.
But I also don't see any other potential field of work as of now, because I'm already specializing for insurance mathematics (it's the actual degree programme).
>>
>>721780121
I'm about to join a big insurance company in Japan. Selling policies seems pretty tough, but working with risk and creating the products should be interesting.

Pay seems pretty good, but Japan is weird...
>>
>>721800288
Sony?
>>
>>721799275
muh muh muh money
>>
>>721800144
great attitude. You'll do well man
>>
>>721797222
im 27 and i just started going back to school. Its weird being in a class with a bunch of kids around 18-20, but i feel like its easier now that i have real life experiences. i also have extra motivation to finish and do well. Fuck retail management, im tired of slanging groceries for a living. I'd rather be an accountant or a teacher lol
>>
>>721800435
cheers man
>>
>>721800468
That's the fucking spirit.
>>
>>721799526
So how to be a good burglar ?
Tips ?
>>
>>721776731
Hahaha paleontology meme
>>
>>721776475
http://www.strawpoll.me/12290330
>>
>>721800370
Nah, it's one of the big non-life insurance companies over here. Large overseas business too but more of corporate focus.
>>
>>721776475
pick something that can be useful in any society on any place around the world. this is the best tip i can give you.
other than that, don't get obsessed with choosing something you like.
choose what's useful and what can be of most use to you, give your particular skills.
good luck
>>
>>721800699
if you see crank-out windows, they're usually not contacted due to cost and so people will go with shock sensors (old technology) or a glass break sensor (which is pretty much just a microphone that picks up the glass breaking)
>>
>>721777305
How long have you been unemployed b/ro ? ,and is there reason that you might know of?.And what do you think of epidemeolgy?
>>
>>721800799
Fun Fact
>Sony loses money on pretty much everything they do, BUT Selling Insurance. Selling insurance keeps Sony in the Black
>>
>>721800932
Seriously? That's interesting though not completely surprising.

What are you doing in insurance?
>>
>>721800849
Also, not a lot of garage overhead doors are contacted. Motions are always in High-traffic areas if installed, a strong magnet will work to trick a contact when opening a window/door (But it might also set it off....)
>>
>>721799289
How? I partied too hard in uni/never showed up to get the grades needed for med school. Is it too late for me? I have the intelligence, but I just need a second chance. If I could start my college career anew, I'd get straight As and do everything right. US btw.
>>
>>721800699
Stay inside for only two minutes. bedrooms first
>>
>>721800849
intresting, what is "new technology" ?
What kinda tech do the usual detection job ?
>>
Any fellow geology majors on here?
>>
File: Social work counseling.jpg (28KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
Social work counseling.jpg
28KB, 400x266px
I wanted to be an entomologist. Majored in biology with an emphasis in entomology. I bombed the GRE... I have a fairly high IQ, but have never finished a standardized test my entire life. Anyway, when I didn't get into grad school, I ended up becoming a social worker, because social work grad school is super easy to get into. Now I'm a fucking counselor and I HATE it. Not sure what I should have done, but going 30k in debt for a career I hate was probably not the answer.
>>
>>721776475
if i had known now what i do 8 years, i would have been a chemical engineer

what i did wrong was figure out what i loved after college.
>>
>>721801085
>>721800932
Sorry bro, I'm not insurance bro
>>
>>721796373
>getting degrees is hard and being a pilot is harder
Gonna have to stop you right there, doofus.
>>
>>721776475

I've worked with IT since I was 17 (now 31), but I quit my job before Christmas and am now instead pursuing my dream of becoming a carpenter/contractor.

It doesn't pay as well yet, but at least I'll be making something from nothing, and pick up valuable skills as time passes.
>>
I'm an ex-RAF avionics technician, it's pretty cool being able to work on big aircraft and the pay is very good with my new company
>>
File: 1484083503671.jpg (65KB, 526x350px) Image search: [Google]
1484083503671.jpg
65KB, 526x350px
>>721776475

Bachelors in accounting here, and I've never actually done any type of accounting for anyone. My degree is technically still a virgin. Instead I sell on amazon, ebay, and etsy. And I run 2 semi successful youtube channels. A pretty unconventional occupation to say the least. My neighbors actually think I'm some kind of drug dealer.

Instead I wish I would've taken more computer classes and maybe a minor in video and photography instead of spending 5 years working towards a degree for a job I've never done. Oh, and I graduated back in 2011.
>>
>>721801134
>bedrooms first

Why ? jewelry ? safe ?
Why 2mn and not one or three ?
>>
>>721801240
newer technology meaning that it has a processor built into it, to recognize the sounds of glass breaking, instead of an analog / vibrating switch.

Most contacts are just magnetic / reed switch based. which works pretty well for what it is..
The alarm is basically a smart multimeter that constantly reads for resistance on a wire. The contact switch is used to open or break the circuit, depending on how it's wired
>>
>>721776731
which school did you study at?
>>
>>721801380
seems like solid logic what do you mean
>>
Guys is there such a thing as Online bachelor degree courses for Europeans? I'm 26 and I wanna get a degree fast (doesnt matter which one, I just need one to go abroad). What is the fastest way and can I do it online?
>>
Assistant Librarian. It's boring and relatively repetative, but it's also pretty much stress-free and I get to handle interesting old books/cartographical maps every so often. Pay is somewhat low, but I need to put in barely any effort, so meh.
>>
>>721776475
None, self teaching carpentry via youtube and books. Simply cannot afford any sort of college.
>>
>>721801550
General expensive shit. I'm not a burglar tho but there was a legit guide circling around some years ago. Guy talked about running a lot too. Break line of sight, hop fences, climb building and hide on the roof etc. GL tho, don't get caught, don't steal from other thieves and do no harm as required by the Thief guild
>>
>>721776892
>

fuck STEM and the social efficiency planned economy.

Fucking lemmings.
>>
Anyone try film? That's what I want to do in a couple years.
>>
>>721801910
>>721801550
Rich people have secret rooms for their safes a lot of the time, or mag-locks / strikes on the access
>>
>>721801530
tips on starting and running a youtube channel as a source of income?
>>
>>721776715
If you're already good at programming and haven't been to Uni yet, don't stress. Keep hacking on your own, that's how you build real skills. If you learn any maths, focus on stats and linear algebra. Optimization problems too - that's the one reason to do some calc.

>Source: I have been in academic data analysis with a major university for 5 years and am transitioning to data science in industry. Worked for one startup doing analysis
>double majored Phys/CS, got C's in lots of my maths, stats and lin alg are by far the most applicable, even though lin alg may fuck your mind a bit at first

The people who I have known who are real good programmers did not get it from their math classes at school, they got it by hacking away on their own. Focus on this. Find projects to work on that will force you to learn new paradigms. Find some friends to work with and learn a vcs.

I am giving you all the advice I didn't take.
>>
>>721801619
So if i bring a vuvuzela or some kind of air-horn with me and use it when breaking the window i can trick the system cause it's not a "glass breaking" sound ?
>>
>>721776475

Medicine. Seemed like a pragmatic career that paid well to be well rounded. If money wasn't an issue I might try other fields which I now enjoy. Performance arts (violin or piano), philosophy, fitness/nutrition, or maybe research in better contraceptives.
>>
>>721802264
glass breaking is a different frequency, not a normal noise, you could try to break it very quietly though....
>>
I'm in filmmaking it was the only thing I liked currently I work as an editor at Warner bros it's pretty tits pays well too but too bad Los Angeles is so fuckingg expensive to live in
>>
>>721802063
Trophy wife panties then ?
>>
Architect reporting in. If you're good at computers and love building stuff, it's a solid gig. I can honestly say I enjoy my job, and I've been doing it a while.

The pay is kinda meh though
>>
>>721802063
IDK If I were a burglar I'd steal from the middle class and sell it back to them. Stuff like laptops, 4k monitors and other carry able electronics. Maybe a peek in the garage and take the car. Don't ask me tho I'm not a burglar but I do find them fascinating.
>>
>>721776715
>>721802219
And forgot to mention - at my school at least, CS was the wrong choice. I should have done SE, because CS was all theory. And some of the theory was hella cool (functional programming, even though we used SML which is mega gay), but we missed all of the practical courses that the SE guys took.

That said if you're learning the practical stuff on your own, the CS program at my uni (McGill) allowed for a lot of flexibility. I took some cool grad courses that mixed phys and cs I wouldn't have space for doing se.
>>
>>721802204
Be a fag
Keep your current haircut
Use a colorfull room
Buy expansive mic and hardware
Be a fag

Also use porn like thumbnails and add "gone wrong" to the title
>>
>>721800468
You're still young as shit. I went back at 36, was older than quite a few of my teachers. One of my coworkers went back at 60, that's kind of hard to imagine. The older you get the more difficult it is to learn and memorize huge volumes of material, but man don't ever underestimate life experiences. Motivation is the most powerful ally you can have.
>>
>>721802530
i can't tell you about how to be a burglar or things to look for or out for. But, I can tell you about the technology
>>
>>721802428

Like.. with a spoon when you want to crack an egg ?
What if i run to the window really fast so that my clothes can muffle the sound when going trough?
>>
>>721801117
If you're truly motivated to do well this time, find a shitty community college to go to for 2 years to show you can get that strong GPA then transfer to a real university. It's never too late you just have to prove to the uni that you are motivated this time. Source, I was kicked out of uni for shit grades and 18 years later after a community college stint they let me back in and gave me a bunch of grants.
>>
>>721802204

It's been a hit and miss for me. Until I finally hit a niche market. Video games and personal blogs are over saturated, and it's difficult to break through.
>>
>>721802982
it's not just that sound though, it picks up on glass falling also. I fucked up one time and put a glass break sensor to close to an entry door. the guy closed his door when he left and set his alarm offf
>>
Industrial design/product design
In my country there's a shitton of industries I could work at.
Packaging, furniture of any kind, displays, toys , I mean, anything that's 3D, and even 2D, we can do. I'm on my last semester and already have offers to chose from.
>>
>>721803091
But I will never be able to go to med school because they look at all my grades. I feel lost and hopeless. If I were to go back to school, how would I balance it against work?
>>
I wish I didn't suck at interviews, getting a summer job in the civil engineering field is hard when you have no previous work experience.
>>
>>721803325
If enough time has passed since your last attempt you can file for academic bankruptcy. I think at my school its 10 years. Baring that, you might still be able to get into a community college and raise your GPA enough to get back in. There's always an appeals process and that can be your best friend so long as you can prove you're motivated this time.
>>
>>721776475
In my final semester of nursing school. It's fucking horrible. All of school so far is wimmimz propaganda about how to feel and express yourself. I'm literally learning about an ethics theory right now that "trades the male-centered ethics that focus on rationality in favor of emotion". So ethics are whatever you feel like at the moment.

But in a few months I'll be in an ICU with almost all male co-workers so I think it'll be gud.
>>
File: a0Y94ZQ_460s.jpg (46KB, 460x460px) Image search: [Google]
a0Y94ZQ_460s.jpg
46KB, 460x460px
Play it safe and get a job that pays and it's in demand. It feels fucking great not having to worry about money. Don't let poor bastards and the rich tell you otherwise. Then focus on a hobby and buy all the grownup toys you can afford.

Jobs that people claim to love usually pay shit. And when you turn something you love to do into a job. It will soon feel like a JOB. For example, Loving dogs and turning that into a dog spa business will drive you crazy sooner than later. You will deal with shitty customers like in any other retail job, and after attending 100's of dogs in a week can be draining to your soul and sanity. Source: ex gf did this and got burned out after 5 years.
>>
>>721803628
I never got kicked out, just graduated with a shitty GPA & I was kicked out of my original major. Does it make a difference? I don't want to put effort into something if I have no chance. How will med schools know I'm capable if they won't see past my grades from when I was a idiotic fuckboi? Thanks for your responses, anon.
>>
>>721803870
What shit hole school is that? I work with about 25 nurses and none of them do that SJW PC garbage.
>>
>>721776475
Industrial Design, I basically draw and 3d model cool products all day and make about 75k, it is pretty fun,

I was always interested in science / engineering, also was pretty decent at drawing. Before my cousin told me about the career my senior year, I had no idea what industrial design was.

Be careful about going into a creative field though, usually you have to work your ass off in school because it is so competitive. I have a lot of friends who just went through the motions at school and had fun, but are now at kinkos and joann fabrics
>>
>>721776475
im 22 and still dont know what the fuck to do...
im insterested in math, physics, biology, chemistry... in short, science... but i dont know what the fuck to do since i love EVERYTHING not just one particular thing like only phys or only chem or only math...
>>
>>721803870
please don't base your view of women on the one you met in nursing school later in your life anon. There are much smarter ones out there.
Just sayin.
>>
>>721791458
That's called depression
>>
>>721776475
Geology.

Dunno if I'm going to regret it. I graduate in a year.
>>
File: 90751bba04079d6ba59ffe8d425ea0ed.jpg (169KB, 892x1280px) Image search: [Google]
90751bba04079d6ba59ffe8d425ea0ed.jpg
169KB, 892x1280px
furry studies
>>
>>721804203
you too huh? im 26, in the same position
i guess we are fucked?
>>
>>721804203
Work in structural biology ?
If you do a master's degree with a focus on NMR protein structure determination, you'll get tons of maths, nuclear physics and biology.
>>
>>721804203
thats fucking me right now except im 19 anyone has any suggestions on what the fuck to do?
>>
>>721804224
I didn't mean to make it sound that way. I use the stereotypical "wimminz" because that's the viewpoint they're presenting rather than a functional female human's
>>
>>721804008
A lot of kids fuck around so all you have to do is prove you're there to learn. If I were you, I'd go talk to the admittance counselor at your school of choice and see what they think. From my own experience and hearing of other peoples, schools WANT people that are there to get good grades. The counselors are there to tell you how to get in, who know you might be able to get in as it stands.
>>
>>721804203
>>721804433

3D structure modelisation (working on force fields such as CHARMM) in bioinformatics also has a major focus on maths, nuclear physics and some biology.
>>
>>721804116
I think part of the problem is that it's school. That's how universities are now. Then (I assume) you get out into the real workforce and realize you have to use your brain and cooperate with your co-workers
>>
>>721780534
What'd you get your degree in?
>>
>>721776475
Hey OP that image is Chem Room 1800 at the University of Michigan. I am an IOE and because i like Stats and Money Dollars. Also every company needs an IOE to increase Productivity.
>>
>>721804433
i already looked into it, quality of life is not really top of the line and i would probably feel useless or like im wasting my time since im not doing anything ''important'' or ''of great value''
plus, the salary is also kind of bad for the amount of shit i would have to do
>>
>>721804548
Jump into uni with undeclared major, take a bunch of STEM classes and see which ones you like, or even just see which ones you have a talent for. Liking them in high school does not equate to liking them in uni, it's a whole new ballgame when you get hit with much more complicated material. I loved physics in high school but fuck physics in higher education.
>>
Enlisted in the navy waiting to ship out
>>
Firefighter. I only applied because I didn't have a job and they were hiring. Was a pretty good decision, would recommend.
>>
Airforce MWD Handler. Job is cake, constant pay / benefits, and you play w pups. Downsides: finding bombs
>>
>>721803953
If I have to waste up to 10 hours a day 5 days a week on something, I want to enjoy it.

Money = Happiness
Happiness = Happiness
>>
>>721804426
hey me too.
>>
>>721804676
Nah bro, not all universities are like that. I just graduated from one and I never saw any SJW garbage. I'm assuming you're in either California or some other liberal shit hole. Conservative south here.
You're right though, once those people hit the real world, assuming they can even get a job, they probably learn companies don't have time to put up with that.
>>
Comp sci. No ragretz. Making good money str8 out of college. Just bought a house at 23 y.o.
>>
Weapons Engineer in the Navy bitches
>>
>>721804426
Why not become an engineer or architect? Money, math, science, etc

Ball out n get bitches
>>
Went to school became a paramedic. Got a job at age 20 pulling 70k a year. Had time to kill got a second job as a firefighter another 52k a year. I don't regret it at all I have zero debt and a fun job.
>>
>>721793404
Underrated post
>>
>>721805388
How was bootcamp? I'm gonna be heading there pretty soon
>>
Programmer/network fag

Back in the early 80s it was cool

Now its like i'm an IT garbage man for idiots.

Anon my printer doesnt work..
>Call the network guy
I would but you are right here.
>>
>>721805724
Us Navy? Royal Navy for me, not called bootcamp over here it's just Basic Training
>>
I picked data security so I could stop all the skript kiddies in this board
>>
>>721805301
Midwest actually. Hearing your university experience gives me hope there's still some sense around.
>>
I work doing car customization. No schooling necessary besides googling and learning via that. I make more then a bunch of my friends and barely do shit. Basicly running wires and installing stereos which is color matching. Install amps and subs which is basicly hiding wires then give power via positive terminal other battery negative to the body and plug up some rcas. And 90% of anything else is simply hiding wires and doing the same give it positive feed and negative feed. I'd say 90% of my day is doing stupid shit with my friends that work there and working on my own car.
>>
>>721776475
ha, I had classes in that lecture hall
>>
>>721805852
Yeah US
>>
>>721776475
I did cybersecurity. Good field right now. Lots of demand and pay is pretty good and it's not going anywhere anytime soon.
>>
>Warning long wall of text coming

>What career did you pick and why /b?
I'm a systems engineer and love this job and I'm actually very good at it
>Do you regret your decision?
Nope, but I do regret some decisions I have made at my current employer and I a looking at leaving this company
>Why?
I made the mistake a lot of mistakes in this field and I feel like shit these days and can't move on in life, I still remember the good days and just can't seem to move on. Basically at one point I was looked at as one of the best engineers at the company. I was also one of the guys who always worked on everything and always had an answer about something, Any question you might have in my dept, or outside of the dept I would be the go to guy. Unfortunately, after a long time of proving myself to my clients and upper management I started to relax and I began to teach and offload some of my work to other engineers, because they really didn't have much to work on as I had a hand in every cookie jar at the time. Wait ended up happening is some engineers would learn a lot from me, and they ended up taking lead roles on certain projects and assighments, and I wasn't even told about what was going on, since I made it an effort to show upper management I wanted to offload work to other engineers sometime late 2016, at this point I am no longer looked at as the lead guy, and I have a very negative attitude on occasion, I believe other people want me to just leave at this point but they won't say it, they just "learn" from me and ended up moving up in this company. I made a serious mistake of relaxing, and not continuing to work over 10 hours a day, and not be paid overtime. The company won't pay me overtime, as they know the work load can increase and they don't want to pay for someone working extra hard... I still feel bad about this, and I can't believe I let them take things right under me, while I was focused on other things
>>
>>721806131
What do you actually do? I heard it is too hard to get a job in this field.
>>
>>721806112
No idea then bud, a lot different
>>
I got shit grades across the board in HS. Did well on exams and in maths/science in general, but failed most of my humanities classes.
Sitting here, thinking about going to college and getting a degree in whichever STEM field is growing the fastest.
Wat do, /b/?
Thread posts: 296
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.