[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Depressionfags of /b/, how do you cope? Have you beaten it? Do

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 11

File: image_11.jpg (124KB, 497x635px) Image search: [Google]
image_11.jpg
124KB, 497x635px
Depressionfags of /b/, how do you cope? Have you beaten it? Do you take meds, if so what are the pros and cons?
I want to make a change but it's not easy, am wondering if I it's an option to get some meds short term to give me a bit of a jump start. I don't want to become dependent.
Pic unrelated.
>>
File: 1443326050632.jpg (42KB, 598x582px) Image search: [Google]
1443326050632.jpg
42KB, 598x582px
Bumping for answers
>>
Pls respond
>>
I got on Effexor XR, that helped a ton. That was years ago and I'm still on it. Recently I've begun working out (just simple stuff, youtube videos and sandbags, no $, no gym) and that helps a good bit too. Best thing is probably my wife who is intensely understanding and affirming; use wisdom in choosing your friends and your mate.
>>
Fuck you /b/
>>
>>720762749
Not fuck you, you're cool
>>
>>720762749
Any downsides to the drugs?
>>
>>720762749
here.
Reading your OP more closely, I would say yes, in my case I am dependent on the meds (which is a BITCH b/c I long to be the self-sufficient, even prepper, type), but I know people -and my friend the general practicioner has many patients - who have used meds for exactly the "boost" you describe. It's totally possible.
>>
>>720762976
They're not free; roughly just over $1/day. If I miss a day there's a funny blood pressure side effect where my head feels like it's pounding/vertigo, but I don't get really fucked up on depression unless I miss more than one day out of three.
>>
>>720763023
Yeah I kinda feel like I know what I need to do to get better but I need something to help break the cycle and get out of the house and do shit
>>
>>720763267
I make decent money so that's not really an issue, I just don't want to become dependent on drugs to manage it or put up with any major side effects
>>
>>720763381
Exactly. That's a good-case scenario; I won't guarantee the short-term thing will work for you b/c the chemical pathways and stuff are incompletely understood and vary widely case by case.
For me, I screwed my neurotransmitters over by basically not sleeping my last semester in order to graduate (that's the other thing; sleep = serotonin = GOOD. GET HEALTHY SLEEP). That was over a decade ago and I'm still paying the price. So I might be in for the long haul.
But that also means I gotta go to sleep now. God bless, /b/fag, hope it works out.
>>
>>720763843
So that probably means I'm screwed unless I change jobs as I'm a shift worker.
Thanks for the answers.
>>
Cold therapy showing major benefits. Look up Dr. Rhonda Patrick on Youtube. She's hot as fuck and also brilliant. Check out the Wim Hof method as well. I've been taking showers cycling hot to cold in 30 second intervals(finish on cold) to great effect. Also look into Rhodiola Rosea, N-Acetyl Cysteine, Ashwaghanda as supplements and if nothing else works go for a 30 minute walk. If you don't medicate then you're going to have to play around with natural combos to see what works for you. What I've mentioned above has helped me. Good luck.
>>
>>720764600
Thanks man, I'll check it out
>>
>>720764600
This is excellent advice. I drink dried hibiscus flower tea for bad days and it works well. I believe xanax is derived partly from hibiscus
>>
Went the med-free route. Started going to gym and martial arts instead, and it definitely helps. Being an orphan/technically homeless sucks, but I'm in school w/ a scholarship which gives me a place to stay. I'm working hard to surround myself with people, instead of holing up in my room.
>>
File: 1484844089116.jpg (48KB, 640x887px) Image search: [Google]
1484844089116.jpg
48KB, 640x887px
you can't beat it

you can only learn to control it, or you can give in to it.

Im on drugs for it, they definitely help, but they can only do so much.

Depends on your level of depression and depressive thoughts/nature. Some people can do a short term regimen.

Others need serious help, through drugs and counceling. Of which I am doing both, but it is still a fucking struggle. Wanting to make a change is the best thing you can have going for you, so if you have that and want to embrace it, you are ahead of the game.

It is a demon that will engulf you if you let it. It will never completely leave. You either fight it, or you don't. That's really what it comes down to.

Fight it. Or don't.
>>
>>720761876
>>
>>720768039
>>
i self medicate with street drugs
>>
File: blue dog.jpg (21KB, 480x464px) Image search: [Google]
blue dog.jpg
21KB, 480x464px
>>720761876
>>
File: 1480318419852.gif (938KB, 500x274px) Image search: [Google]
1480318419852.gif
938KB, 500x274px
>>720761876
i don't like medications because i know too many people who have lost themselves to them.
i get some comfort making shitty music as an outlet for my emotional retardation which helps somewhat, but the rest of the time i just drag my ass through life because i don't really have another option even though i feel mostly dead inside.

https://soundcloud.com/whooutsmartswhom/resplendent-destiny-alt
>>
Everybody is different. Gym works for me. I'm not happy, but I'm not crushingly miserable while I stay fit. At least if something good happens I won't be too shitty to take advantage in this state.
>>
>>720768039
>>
>>720761876
Was severely depressed for almost 2 years. Went and talked to a therapist who suggested I talk to my primary care physician. Was prescribed SSRIs and various anti-depressants until I found the one that didn't make me feel like shit (paxil). This takes a lot of trial and error to find proper dosage and the right fit for you. Used xanax for panic attacks as needed. Found music. I can't say I've beaten it -- but life is definitely worth living. Good luck mate.
>>
>>720761876
I thought I had it under control. Everything seemed to be going so well. And then everything fell apart. Now I'm contemplating suicide again.
>>
Just checked in saw my thread is still alive, Cheers for the replies guys.
The general vibe I'm getting is yes drugs probably will help but too much chance of becoming reliant on them. I'll probably look into some Natural stuff and see if I can find something that helps.
>>
>>720771531
>>
>>720761876
this will sound stupid but i had diagnosed depression a couple of years ago and dark souls (the first one) helped me a lot, maybe because it forced me to face hard challenges in a safe enviroment (a videogame) but mostly because of the characters and the meaning behind their stories. After that i started doing things for myself, before i have always been doing things for others, never really cared about myself but in the last 2 years i did everything for me, tryied hard to break my routine, i started to work out 5 times a week, went to dance classes, learned to play the guitar and sing, and went to acting classes, also i traveled a lot even though i had little money and did a lot of things i enjoyed, and a lot of other things i never dared to do before. As i started to care about myself life started to go better and better until a few weeks ago i realised that 2016 was a fucking great year and that 2017 started great too
>>
>#firstworldproblems

Holy shit youre all fags. Man up, pussies.
>>
I've battled with depression literally my entire life. Looking back on it, I most likely had depression in elementary/middle school. To make this short. GET MEDICATION. Seriously. After an incident (not involving depression at all actually), I went to my doctor and told him I was depressed.

He prescribed me Zoloft. It started off oddly. It takes a few weeks for the serotonin to build up in your system. I started on a small dose and over the course of a year I needed more as I was still depressed. I took 150mg of it a day (the max pill dose is 100mg). And after a year, everything was....better. Some people have to try different medications to find one that works for them. The Zoloft worked, just I needed a high dosage. I have a high tolerance for nearly everything so it's not unusual.

I wasn't depressed, I didn't just want to end it. I was happy. Literally one of my biggest regrets was not getting medication sooner. Literally a phone call to my doctor and a simple fucking prescription fixed my life.

Later I felt better and stopped taking it, eventually the depression returned. Started the meds again, depression went away. After about 1.5-2yrs I was talking with my doctor and I weened off the medication. I'm not depressed anymore and haven't taken the medication since.

Do some thoughts still come up? Yeah. Am I still sad sometimes? Yeah, but who isn't, it's human nature. Is it 10000x better than it was? Abso-fucking-lutley.

You'll also notice you'll have more energy and do more things you've wanted to do. Maybe you'll want to hit up the gym, find some new look you've wanted to try, do those random things to better yourself.

tldr: Go to your doctor, get some medication. You may have to take it forever, maybe for only a short time. Does it matter as long as you're happy?
>>
>>720774832
I want to add something. Actually making the call and getting started was the hardest part of the process. Once you have the meds, just take one a day for a few weeks. The literal only downside from the medication was some fine motor movement twitches (due to the buildup of serotonin) which stopped after 2 weeks when my body adjusted.

If it helps, keep a journal and just score your overall happiness rating each day where you can see the previous days. After a month look them up and you'll see they go up.

I know you said "it's not easy." I had the same mindset and trust me, it is easy. That's why I regret not asking my doctor earlier. It was a fucking simple pill that fixed it. You won't get dependent, you'll most likely try it for a year or two and your body will adjust for the change in serotonin on its own then you won't have to continue with the medication
>>
I replaced meds with weed. Completely fixed the problem. Problem now is, i spend 20 a week for it.
>>
>>720761876
I distract myself with video games, television, and books.
>>
>>720775141
I work in a high risk industry and have to deal with random drug tests, no go on the wacky tobaccy
>>
>>720775236
This is part of my problem, I'll spend days on end not leaving the house
>>
File: image.jpg (91KB, 600x492px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
91KB, 600x492px
I found spirituality through self realization and Buddhism, completely cured my social anxiety and depression. My social anxiety was so bad at one point I couldn't even talk to people without panicking and I would rarely leave the house. I've also had multiple suicide attempts and used to self harm for 7+ years but after finding spirituality and reading books about some Buddhist teachings I became a completely different person. In my junior year of high school I was a complete social outcast, I literally had 0 friends. I'm now in my senior year and people tell me I'm the happiest most outgoing person they know.
>>
>>720770308
You wrote that song? That's incredible
>>
File: bagraiders.jpg (33KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
bagraiders.jpg
33KB, 640x360px
I have found a way that has worked for me and seemingly many others but whenever I tell it people get all pissed and are skeptical.
>>
>>720770308
https://soundation.com/user/nebbi/track/untitled-song-1

I got a song too. I need to add to it though

https://soundation.com/user/nebbi/track/untitled-song-1
>>
>>720778039
>>720778039
Is it "get over it"?
>>
File: DSCN0538-2.jpg (1MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0538-2.jpg
1MB, 4608x3456px
>>720777555
i did and thank you. glad you enjoyed it
>>
>>720761876
ritalin

keeps your energy up, removes social anxiety, keeps you moving.
>>
I just accepted it. I do shit everyday for no other reason than momentum. The maintaining of the status quo.
>>
>>720761876
>I got on Effexor XR, that helped a ton. That was years ago and I'm still on it.

How has it helped if you're still on it? Antidepressants aren't 'medicine'.
>>
>>720778204
Nope. It's orthomolecular medicine. Works better for me than any drug ever has. My bet is the only reason it's not standard treatment is that it is hard to patent. Here's an article about why pharmaceutical companies prefer patentable treatments/medications:

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/29/upshot/how-patent-law-can-block-even-lifesaving-drugs.html
>>
>>720761876
sup fam
depressed since i was 14, attempted suicide at 15, sought help for anxiety at 20, finally on meds at 22
meds triggered a manic episode, would up diagnosed with bipolar. gonna be on meds for my whole life
pretty shit now that i've stopped being manic and i'm still fucking depressed

but the antidepressants worked really well. probably not a super accurate review because they made me feel way too good but they certainly stopped the shit feels.

these days i try to sleep well and do a lot of work on breathing (still bad anxiety)
i could do a lot more with diet and exercise but time blah blah excuses

from a more objective view, meds can be really effective and a usual course is 6-12 months. people usually aren't on meds beyond that unless it's quite severe or they keep relapsing
meds can be really good to get yourself into a better space so that you can take on board things from talking therapies and put into place good protective habits (ie eating sleeping and exercise)
>>
im just a pussy should have ended my life in 5th grade by running into the the middle of the highway so i would not have to had dealt with this since then. i dont cope i just hope one day ill stop being a pussy and end it, or someone does it for me.
>>
>>720761876
>Beaten it
Hey armlessfags, you ever grown your arms back?
>>
>>720778168
inferesting. the vocals add a nice eerie feel to it
>>
>>720778426
Oh and of course they've discredited it to hell. If people found out they could just use cheap supplements for their depression, then where would all of their drug money go?
>>
>>720778958
Thanks! It's funny because I don't even know what he is saying.
>>
>>720762802
Fuck you too cunt
>>
>>720779168
kek. that makes two of us.
>>
Don't do meds. From my experience the only thing that I've found that works is constantly distracting yourself by doing the things that you're passionate about. Nothing else is really that effective. Also surrounding yourself with friends/family to talk to helps a shit ton.
>>
File: fishywrites.jpg (124KB, 841x611px) Image search: [Google]
fishywrites.jpg
124KB, 841x611px
>>720761876

I have crippling debt and depression, overworked and underpayed. Could lose everything i've ever owned this year. Have health problems and an unhealthy addition to something which ironically helps me cope but will end up killing me.

Don't want to get in a relationship because a) I can't afford it and b) I don't have enough will to entertain myself let alone someone else.

Can't an hero as it would ruin the family and besides its a bit of a cheap way out.

Not on antidepressants because the drugs don't work, they just make you more dependant.
>>
im taking meds but i dont think they really help or my meds arent strong enough dont know.
Sport helps me really but to get me up in the gym is hard every time. I am watching much netflix and reeding books that brings me over the days.
>>
Orthomolecularfag here. This helped.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004KABF6E/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1
>>
>>720761876
drugs, so much fucking drugs.
>>
I embrace my depression, then exert it into what i create. paintings, beats, stories, short films. Creating does a lot for my depression, it distracts me from it, it gives me an outlet so that I don't boil it up inside myself, and when i die and if i eventually give in to my depression, I will have an assortment of things I have created all on my own that are left behind and will last in existence far longer than I ever will.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.