[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Well?

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 8

File: gandalf-vs-dumbledor.jpg (90KB, 620x350px) Image search: [Google]
gandalf-vs-dumbledor.jpg
90KB, 620x350px
Well?
>>
>>717701984
Literally a lower level god vs some old dude that manipulates childrens competitions so the kid je likes most wins
>>
>>717701984
>god vs high school headmaster
winner depends on age group
>>
gandalf is a real wizard that died and came back
>no fucks given when fighting huge spawn of death deep underground

Dumbledor is suspicious from beginning to end. He may or may not have won his "duels" and that death wand was more of a deus ex to beating voldemort (harry was never good at shit). In the end he died for his own plot and device.
>>
>>717701984
Yoda
>>
>>717702123
>>717702282
Harry Potter magic is far more powerful. All Gandalf ever did was shine a flashlight in the Nazgul's face and maybe hit some people with his cane.
>>
>>717702483
And force slam a lv 80 fire daemon into a frozen hell
>>
>>717702483
as i said result will depend on the age group.
>>
>>717702470
Jean Luc
>>
>>717701984
Gandalf the white is like an ascended master existing in a sense, partially in the spiritual realm already.

It's no contest that Gandalf would win in a fair match, but they would never fight because they are so much alike, they would ally up. They are both almost omniscient magic users. They can't imagine them ever being in a position to fight each other.
>>
File: 1472494691893.jpg (9KB, 234x249px) Image search: [Google]
1472494691893.jpg
9KB, 234x249px
>>717701984

Gandalf is a lesser angelic being.. That's a whole other level than Dumbledore.

That's like asking who is more holy.. Jesus Christ or the priest at your local parish.
>>
File: nofags2day.jpg (8KB, 176x286px) Image search: [Google]
nofags2day.jpg
8KB, 176x286px
>>717702848
>>
>>717702483
No, not really, The fact is that the difference is that Harry Potter world is filled with magic. Like almost every character is a magic user or directly tied to a magic user or magic in some way.

In Lord of the Rings, magic is treated in a more classic sense, as only existing in the hands of the very few adepts and with the elves. It's still incredibly powerful and overwhelming magic. How can you say no when a ring made countless eons ago, retains the will of its master and a consciousness to meet its goals and on top of making the user invisible, begins controlling their mind actively.
>>
>>717701984
Dumbledore gets killed by Alan Rickman and Gandalf is basically a god, so... Gandalf hands down no contest.
>>
>>717701984
Dumbledore, due to the fact that he's got some baller ass spells. Gandalf can't really do much besides make light shine out of his staff and hit people with it.
>>
Everyone saying Gandalf is superior must not have read the same books as I did.

Yes Gandalf took one for the team by letting a Balrog fall of a bridge, but Dumbledore straight up kicked Voldemorts ass with a giant bubble of water...
>>
>>717703407
Also Dumbledore can expelliarmus the staff out of Gandalfs hands, then it's basically game over.
>>
I've never seen the Lord of the Rings movies, so there's no telling what abomination they created, but as someone who has read all the books, I can tell you without a doubt that in every sense Gandalf is a more powerful Wizard.

Gandalf is literally more than human, and just a small example of his power is that he reads minds and memories at will. Not only that, but healing near mortal wounds with a mere touch, etc. Like, he doesn't have to create a nuclear ball of fire to stop you, he can just make you sit down.
>>
>>717703407
It's not that Gandalf can't do it, it's that he doesn't need to.
>>
>>717703505
Unlike the Harry potter universe's wands, Gandalf's staff is not the source of his power.
>>
File: 1475763987890.png (75KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1475763987890.png
75KB, 200x200px
>>717701984
Gandalf is LITERALLY invincible, his body may die but his spirit (he) lives on
>>
>>717703519
>I've never seen the Lord of the Rings movies
All discussion aside, are you feeling ok? It's fine you can talk to us.
>>
>>717703626
Neither wands from Harry Potter is the source of magic
>>
>>717701984
>straight in character, gay in real life
>gay in character, straight in real life
choose wisely.
>>
>>717703519
Dont worry the movoes are actually quite good, except for the army of the dead inmovie 3, that was beyond retarded. Stay away from the hobbit though, those are butchering the story beyond repair.
>>
>>717701984
Dumbledor is not Maiar. The end.
>>
>>717703811
I saw the first one in theater when it first came out, and they fucked up enough that I didn't care to see the rest.

I mean, where the fuck is Tom Bombadil? when I read the book, I felt the resonance of that character for most of the rest of the book. He was in possession of the one ring, and made it disappear in front of Frodo, in addition to putting it on. for half the book, I felt the intrigue of wondering if he had switched the ring on Frodo, or some such.

Anyone, my point is the movies don't touch the magic and imagination of the books. How could they?
>>
>>717703568
Why wouldn't he need to, we're talking about a 1v1 fight to the death thing here. He needs to do something.
>>
>>717704110
>Anyone, my point is the movies don't touch the magic and imagination of the books. How could they?
Movies are never as good, but as far as movies go, LotR is pretty great.
>>
>>717701984
you decide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIMoQHpvFQQ
>>
File: 1481682156838.gif (1MB, 320x179px) Image search: [Google]
1481682156838.gif
1MB, 320x179px
>>717703186
>a ring.
>Able to controll others mind
>not imediately but slowly
>took the majority of saurons magic to create
>is nothing without his ring
Vs.
>imperius curse; able to control minds immediately
>avada cadavra; instakill curse
>shitton of other spells, charms, transfigurations, & potions
>some magic still available to magic user without wand
Albus wins hands down
>>
>>717703626
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1Vyhve9gtg
Point in question: 2:53
>>
>>717704148
Like annihilate a Balrog? Sounds good.
>>
>>717704273
YOU weren't very good.
>>
>>717701984
Tough matchup. Dumbledore has many tricks and is resistant to mind attacks. Also can use the instakill spell. Assuming Gandalf is not straight up immune to Harry Potter magic Dubmi wins. Meaning he manages to kill Gandalf but only for a while as he's immortal. In the end Gandalf resurrects as Gandalf the Golden or some shit and its gg.
>>
>>717704285
>>717704148
What you people fail to understand is that Gandalf isn't evil, and he would never use dark magic. The elves would probably use it before Gandalf ever did. Gandalf is Good. He is a guiding force, not a battle mage.

Neither Gandalf nor Dumbeldore would fight each other, and if they did neither would use any of that shit, and you should know that if you know anything about either character.

honestly, do you really think dumbeldore would ever kill someone? Even a bad guy?
>>
>>717704685
>implying Dumbledore would use avada cadavra
He's too much of do goody goody to do that
>>
>>717704892
Well they would never fight in the first place if we're following the lore. He IS able to cast it.
>>
https://youtu.be/ZIMoQHpvFQQ
>>
Gandalf is effectively an angel, as evidenced by his coming back to life after fighting the balrog. So I think Dumbledor is screwed.
>>
>>717704808
I'm seeing this as a purely hypothetical situation where personalities don't matter, only levels of power and abilities and shit. With that in mind, Dumbledore would annihilate Gandalf.
>>
>>717704808
I see your point. Character morality included Albus would subdue Gandalf & imprision him....or make him say uncle. My point is Harry Twatter magic is more tangeable than Frodoland magic and since it has more possibilities it would outpower gandalfs
>>
>>717704298
The book is different. What can I say? I remember him being trapped in a magic tower where sauroman would stargaze, and it took his eagle friend to get him.
>>
>>717701984
Though call, all I can say for sure is that a conflict between these two would likely end with them both laughing in fro t of a fire enjoying a drink, a smoke, and some good company.
>>
>>717705315
This is a fair pont. Dumbi can just imrison gandalf forever. Like his soul or something. There's probably a spell for that. Then craft it into some cool magic object. Like a magic staff imbued with Maiar soul.
>>
>>717705315
but twatter magic is its own disability

>ability to do everything but somehow everything is limited down a select set of spells
>more spells known, more power; hermione should be goddess in some way
>wordless incantations, just start dildo slapping the wand around for max hax
>>
>>717701984
Dumbledurrr loses because all his power is in the wand.

Gandaf uses the staff as a focus but can literally cast without it.
>>
>>717705644
Dumbledore is one of the few wizards who can cast without a wand.
>>
>>717701984
gandalf because he pulled that sweet smoke trick in the beginning of the movie. id like to see dumbledore try that shit
>>
>>717701984
Gandalf is very literally a lower level god as another anon said. He is likely as strong as any other character in the books but they do not affect mortal affairs so directly and takes the form of an old man. Whatever his true physical form is it's logical to assume he'd be much more powerful with that limitation removed.
>>
>>717702123
This basically.

They'd never fight, so it's a popularity contest, and kids today don't know classic LOTR, but they grew up on Harry Potter, so most people would say Dumbeldor as a kneejerk reaction, but frankly, Gandalf is essentially an immortal being, transcending physical reality, so good luck with that shit.
>>
File: Politaclly Correctemon.jpg (3KB, 109x125px) Image search: [Google]
Politaclly Correctemon.jpg
3KB, 109x125px
>>717702483

You do know that gandalf was forbidden by the valar from just using magic all willy nilly right?

He was permited to use very limited amounts in very rare instances and was only allowed to use more power when it was in direct confrontation of the dark lord throwing around some of his magical bullshit and needed to save the world.

For example he turned his staff into a flashlight a few times. and there was that one time when he kaboomed a rock in goblin town which is the most magic we see him allowed to use.

Now when he was dueling saruman we got to see 2 powerfull wizzards goinging at it for like 3 seconds.

And he got to BTFO a daemon from ages past.
>>
>>717706272
This. LOTR gandalf magic is as needed when needed in specific amounts needed.

Potter magic is just spam magic and see what happens.
>>
>>717706024
This

Gandlaf is immortal and if you manage to cast him into shadow he'll just come back with an undead army and fuck your shit right up till he got the job done.

He'd repeat on that pansy worse than a fucking cucumber sandwich.
>>
>>717704110

>I mean, where the fuck is Tom Bombadil?

Of all the things they fucked up leaving out Tom was the least of them.

The LOTR movies were good. The hobbit movies should have been 1 long movie or 2 shorter movies but the studio wanted to milk the cash cow for as long as it could.
>>
>>717706656
Well, maybe you skimmed past him in your required reading class or some shit, but I love the books, and I enjoyed reading them, and the first time I read it, it stuck out like a sore thumb because who else takes possession of the ring in addition to putting it on and making it disappear in front of Frodo? I was thinking of Tom Bmbadil for like half the book, as I explained, but you're right that it is just an example of many of the things they changed, added, or subtracted.
>>
File: 1482287491652.png (497KB, 600x580px) Image search: [Google]
1482287491652.png
497KB, 600x580px
>>717705597
>dildo slapping the wand around for max hax
>>
>>717703443

Gandalf fought the Balrog (a creature just about the same power as Gandalf and just under Sauron himself in Morgoth's ranks) for days on end, no sleep, no food, no breaks.

They fought from the very bottom of some of the deepest mines the Dwarves had ever dug, to the very top of the mountain the mines were built under.

That is much more than just "taking one for the team"
>>
>>717706887

Tom did stick out because his character was so out of place in the world. Its not that i did not like the guy. he was... odd.

But by in large leaving him out was for the better i think. It would have added more time for a very silly character that shows up and then is gone only to be mentioned once or twice later on.

Tom could have danced and sung his way into mt door while having the ring on as a dick piercing but dident because he did not want to.
>>
>>717707492

Isn't there a theory or something claiming that Tom Bombadil might actually be the avatar of Eru Iluvitar?
>>
File: 1461366346751.png (156KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1461366346751.png
156KB, 800x800px
>>717707492
>could have danced and sung his way into mt door while having the ring on as a dick piercing
Muh sides
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.