[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't understand, how do Christians validate the bible

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 15

I don't understand, how do Christians validate the bible saying stuff like:

stone you're kids if they talk back.

women cant teach, or have authority over men

if a woman is raped then the rapist must pay her father and get married.
>>
>>717493565
>you're
You're not as smart as you think you are.
>>
>>717493674
I never claimed I was smart, and I would've fixed it but I'm lazy and type fast
>>
In the same way we approach the fact that the law said that we used to be able to own slaves. It's just neither applicable nor slightly necessary in this day and age.
>>
>>717493565

Actual Christians don't try to validate shit like that.

All of the Old Testament law was invalidated the second Christ died on the cross, and the curtain separating the Holy of Holies from the rest of the Temple was ripped in half.

The Ten Commandments are a good guide for basic morality but all of that other shit is obsolete.

Any Christian who says otherwise is a fucking idiot.
>>
>>717495415
But it's different, because in Christianity god is suppose to be infinite and all knowing, plus it Jesus said in the bible to "follow every single teaching to the dot" that is in it

I believe it was Matthew 5:18.
>>
>>717493565
The two most violent religions that base itself aroumd one deity: christianity & Islam, are not sane with their crazy laws and rules. Almost the both books make it where that deity is behind a emerald certan (wizard of Oz reference). Both start wars kill inocent, and by today norm christianity acts as if they are so pure that they didnt do anything wrong when the islamics attack them. It should be brought up.
>>
>>717493565
>>717493565

I guarantee an angsty muslim wrote this shit. Nearly zero percent of Christians believe in EXACTLY what the bible says. Islam, however, most of them believe in the teachings and apply it to every day life. Best example, Sharia law, they want their OWN OUTDATED LAWS in replacement of current, modern laws.
>>
>>717495975
This
Also women not teaching was a temporal thing for a specific church from paul, he even said "I" do not usurp authority etc...
source: Im an actual Christian
>>
>>717496133

>crazy laws and rules

You're thinking of islam.
>>
>>717493565
Tbh as someone with a minor in biblical studies, i've never understood why so many christians fail to understand the vampiric nature of abrahamic religions in general.
>>
>>717496485
Nope if you actually read the bible its crazy as well.
>>
>>717496388
Nope he's clearly atheist, look at the picture
>>
File: edgarallanpoe.jpg (98KB, 768x432px) Image search: [Google]
edgarallanpoe.jpg
98KB, 768x432px
>>717493821
My question is: How are you not bored out of your skull talking about Christianity, and belabouring this worn out subject. Why not focus on worthwhile and productive things, instead of beating a dead horse.
>>
>>717493565
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER, BLACK SCIENCE MAN.
>>
>>717496400
what about everything else that horrible
>>
>>717496716

Current applications, go ahead and compare the two.

You won't see christians stoning people because they left Christianity.
>>
>>717496919
because you never knnow what a religious person is going to say.
>>
>>717493565
I hate to be the bearer of bad news OP, but you don't need the Old Testament at all. So if your gonna argue, argue on only The New Testament
>>
>>717496941

Maybe if you read the post he quoted you would know, fucking idiot.
>>
>>717495975
Bs bruh, sure it doesn't apply for salvation purposes, but it does reveal the christian god's vision for a perfect society and worship, as this is what most of those laws regulate. Remember god's chosen people are the jews, we are merely grafted branches. Included in the tree by our connection to Christ and YHWH, but still unnaturally grafted.
>>
>>717495975
>All of the Old Testament law was invalidated
“For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 5:18-19 RSV)
>>
>>717496962
well that's comforting, the Christians don't care enough to follow there own holy book, shows what a joke it has become.
>>
>>717497078
How do you just exclude that stuff though? Isn't that part of the bible?
>>
File: 1475818284222.png (378KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1475818284222.png
378KB, 1680x1050px
All Religions have a God, and there is no justification for him.

God is merely a delusion, conceived to constitute a faith-based system of morals that are the code of humanity, such as "Don't kill me, I won't kill you." In the usage of agglutination, religion is praiseworthy. In any other sense, ranging from being the bedrock of genuine morality (it isn't), to the fundamentalist beliefs of a 2000 year-old Earth (it isn't), is flagrantly inaccurate. Throughout the years, the deliberation of who's God is better has assaulted our humanity with unending bloodshed, even to this day, specifically in the Middle East. God is not a catalyst for peace and tranquility, he is the chaperon of death. And the sooner we abandon his substance, the sooner we can live our lives to the full.
>>
>>717497081
he didn't try to justify this

>stone you're kids if they talk back

>if a woman is raped then the rapist must pay her father and get married.
>>
>>717497257

>muslim confirmed
>>
>>717496400
Actually in the context of the letter it is never stated to be a temporary requirement, and as many other doctrines are appropriated from paul's letters as part of christian doctrine it is not for us to choose which parts we would rather ignore.
>>
File: portrait-of-Edgar-Allan-Poe.jpg (102KB, 853x635px) Image search: [Google]
portrait-of-Edgar-Allan-Poe.jpg
102KB, 853x635px
>>717497054
The thing is, how do you really know who you're talking to on this site, and where they're REALLY coming from? Also, how can you distinguish the legit from the trolls?
>>
>>717497330
because they're acting on there own thought, if there actually was a god they would see no problem in owning slaves, genocide, child sacrifice, killing gays, etc.
>>
>>717497515
Nope atheist
>>
>>717497330
Yes, and Jesus said that every word of it still applies.
Most people don't know that, because most people don't actually read the bible. Everybody owns one that they carry to church every sunday and open to the four or five out-of-context unrelated passages the preacher is using to "support" whatever social point he's making that day, so they only know the parts that their preacher repeatedly points them toward.
It's amazing how many people actually don't know that God once sent bears to eat children for mocking a saint's baldness. It's in the book, but it's in a part that the preacher never refers to in sunday "worship".
>>
>>717493565
I suspect the people you think are Christians are actually Muslims!
>>
>>717497215
And Jesus fulfilled the Law, and decided to change some things because He has the power and the right to do so. That's why honestly we're not to have the death penalty for transgressions. Perfect example, in he OT they were to kill faggots no questions asked, in Romans, it says to leave them to their sins and God will take care of them Himself.
>>
>>717497666

Do you think you're superior?

>>717497684

>every word of it still applies

Alright, in what setting? Go ahead, tell me where in current society any of the harsher teachings of the book still apply. I'll wait.
>>
File: oh fuckkk.gif (182KB, 200x113px) Image search: [Google]
oh fuckkk.gif
182KB, 200x113px
>>717497666
no... you're fucking satan
>>
>>717497714
wrong
>>
>>717497592
I trust that some people will get triggered about me insulting there religion, I mean there is probably some people pretending, but it still makes for a fun mental exercise to sharpen my "skills".
>>
>>717497544
It is a matter of interpretation so we can look into Tradition but either way it is a minor doctrinal issue not a matter of salvation.
>>
this shit is written in the old testament but christians are practicing the new part (if that makes sense)
>>
>>717497108
>>717497215

Paul's vision of the bedsheet descending from heaven with all of the forbidden animals in it reinforces the idea that it was invalidated. His command to Paul to 'kill and eat' previously forbidden animals was to show that they weren't the rule of law anymore. Specifically, that Christ's death was for all regardless of whether they were Jew or Gentile.

The Old Testament laws were for the Jews to stay in favor with God. The entire concept of Christ dying on the cross is so that humanity gains salvation and favor with God is because it was supposed to be a simple method for all of mankind to follow. It wasn't 'accept my Son's sacrifice in your place, oh and also stick to all of those crazy conflicting laws I handed down thousands of years ago'.
>>
File: 027.jpg (39KB, 640x512px) Image search: [Google]
027.jpg
39KB, 640x512px
Born and raised Catholic here with Catholic School and all, people don't realize that alot of fucked up shit is in the Bible, the Old Testament is a very good example.

But of course people only concentrate on only a few things like an Iceberg effect, they only see the top, but there is shit tons in the bottom under the water.
>>
>>717497942
If you call trolling a "skill" you should kill yourself lol. I hate religion, so I'm not defending them, but you really are an insolent twit.
>>
>>717498051
so the ten commandments no longer apply right?
>>
>>717497902
Prove it from Romans, it says to leave them up for their vile afflictions which will be meet. It does not say to stone them. OT says to stone them to death.
Fact
>>
>>717497431

It was all explained in the post he originally quoted. How dense are you.
>>
>>717497714
If Jesus was god (and if were real) there wouldn't need to be changes made ever because hes all knowing.
>>
>>717496962
>You won't see christians stoning people because they left Christianity.
Actually this (and ironically, beheading) is still a fairly common occurrence in ass-backwards (portions of Africa & South-East Asia) parts of the world.

Don't forget we've also had Christians murdering staff at abortion clinics in the US & Europe.
As well as a Christian terrorist group attempting to install a theocracy in Uganda.
>>
>>717493565

Cultural relativism.

Christfags claim to hate cultural relativism and say we need religion to have an absolute morality, but the second you bring up slavery they become the most rabid cultural relativists ever.
>>
>>717498135
they do because jesus said so
>>
>>717497821
>Go ahead, tell me where in current society any of the harsher teachings of the book still apply.
I'm not supporting OT law, I think the OT is absurd superstition and the NT is a brilliant forgery by Flavius Josephus.

I'm just pointing out that people who claim to follow the teachings of Jesus ignore the fact that the Gospels say that Jesus himself said you can't disregard the Old Testament.
>>
Look at the dumb shit excuses. If you have to make that many excuses and loopholes, maybe the shit is stupid to begin with.
>>
>>717497821
>Do you think you're superior?
To some people

>every word of it still applies, Alright, in what setting? Go ahead, tell me where in current society any of the harsher teachings of the book still apply. I'll wait.

Alright, in what setting? Go ahead, tell me where in current society any of the harsher teachings of the book still apply. I'll wait.

Matthew 5:18
>>
>>717498061
>what I infer from Paul is more important than what Jesus actually plainly stated in direct response to a precise question
For your sake, I hope I'm right. Because if your Bible is true, you're going to burn.
>>
File: 1482369391197.jpg (45KB, 573x609px) Image search: [Google]
1482369391197.jpg
45KB, 573x609px
>>717493565
Religion is the only area of human society that has made ZERO advancement over the past 2,000 years.
>>
>>717498310
he also said "until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished."

how do you justify your cherry picking then?
>>
File: tumblr_miiisw0E1o1s2cys4o1_500.jpg (72KB, 485x750px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_miiisw0E1o1s2cys4o1_500.jpg
72KB, 485x750px
>>717497942
I see. But there are other beliefs and views that are more common, and equally absurd, but nobody focuses on these.
>>
>>717498061
While correct that these laws are no longer required for salvation, the fact that these were the expected laws for the culture god decided to personally mold into his chosen people shows he prefers this form of society over the others which he advised they not mix with.
>>
>>717495975

It doesn't matter if God changed his mind later. The fact is he once said people should be punished for wearing two different types of fabric.

You'd have to be mentally retarded to say that level of totalitarianism is moral.
>>
>>717498134
that's why I put this " around it, its not actually a skill it's just amusing seeing the arguments and trying to dissect them
>>
>>717498265

>beheading fair common occurence

Yeah, under islam.

>christians murdering staff at abortion clinics in US and europe

Screaming about their god as they did it? Please. Try harder.

>Christian terrorist group attempting to install a theocracy in Uganda.

Kony? lmao. Hardly.
>>
>>717498441

>still isn't answering the question
>still quoting a centuries old book as if it's still the current teachings
>>
The fact that people can't even admit there are bad christians out there is just fucking retarded. Head in the sand bullshit.

This rampant defense of shit we know is incorrect is fucking killing this country.
>>
File: this.gif (446KB, 300x186px) Image search: [Google]
this.gif
446KB, 300x186px
>>717498906
>>
>>717498559
This is what i say to all the libtard "christians" deluding themselves into believing they have been accecpted into god's fold. I compare it to the prophecy regarding a people having a form of religion, but one lacking the true power of god. This explains why there are very few with a true connection to the holy spirit today, because they are unwilling to actually study the word and apply it in their lives.
>>
>>717498543

1. Paul was directly chosen by God to replace Judas, and was the greatest apostle of the 12. Pretty sure what he has to say is still valid.

2. If you're referring to Matthew 5:18, it's still up for debate as to exactly WHEN Christ was referring to, re: 'Until all things are accomplished'. So parroting that one specific verse, out of all of the things Christ said, doesn't back you up at all.
>>
>>717498906
>>717498993

No one is saying there aren't bad christians.
>>
>>717498596
I do, it's just that there are generally more christians browsing here, and if you look at the wording of the original post it referenced other religions, not my fault it became a christian board.
>>
>>717498549
That's not true.
We invented Scientology just a decade or two ago. And Mormonism is only a few hundred years old. Also there is apparently a Jedi Church that's sprouted up temples in several different places. This one is special, I think. While everyone knows that Scientology was created by a science fiction writer, it still pretends to legitimately stand on the foundation of other irl religions. The Jedi Church, however, goes forward fully aware and totally heedless of the fact that they know with absolute certainty that it's fictional. It's a religion that you don't actually have to believe in to be a part of, and that's a pretty revolutionary stance as religions go.
>>
>>717498833
yes because the question itself is invalid.
>>
>>717499156
but YOUR cherry picking is the right one of course
>>
>>717498736
>Yeah, under islam.
And Christianity.

>Screaming about their god as they did it?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_of_God_%28United_States%29

Sorry if you don't like facts man.
>>
File: 1480550961244.jpg (31KB, 514x536px) Image search: [Google]
1480550961244.jpg
31KB, 514x536px
>>717498181
that's because the original response was debunked with mat 5:18 dumbass
>>
>>717496388
But if the Bible is the word of God, how can any Christian justify not following it's teachings? Wouldn't their God reject their sense of superior morality as blasphemy and deny them entry to paradise upon death? Who is man to deny the morals of God?
>>
>>717499367

What am I cherrypicking? I'm not even referencing a specific verse, unlike you(if you're the idiot spamming Matt. 5:18).
>>
>>717499156

"until heaven and earth pass away" does not mean "until Jesus dies."

Jesus clearly intended for the OT laws to be followed until the day of judgment. Your view is wrong and you're going to wind up in hell unless you start living as an orthodox jew.
>>
File: image_5.png (823KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image_5.png
823KB, 640x1136px
>>717499570

'Until all things are accomplished" is also the subject of controversy. It is uncertain whatallis referring to and how it will be accomplished. France lists three interpretations: until the end of the world, until all the requirements of the Law are met, until the arrival of the messiah. The three interpretations all implyvery different understandings of how absolute Mosaic law is for Christians in the current era'
>>
>>717499314
the argument is that the centuries old book is suppose to surpass time and be valid anytime, and even the people believing it say that, and the book itself.
>>
File: 0vqBob7.jpg (65KB, 501x580px) Image search: [Google]
0vqBob7.jpg
65KB, 501x580px
>>717499260
That's not progress. In fact that's de-evolution (getting dumber)

Religion is a major FAIL. It's all controlled by a bunch of right-wing nut cases.
>>
>>717499156
This is called "rationalization".
You are literally placing the word of a man over the word of the man you believe to be god himself because you don't want to choose between following 100% of Jesus's teachings (which include stating that the old laws still apply, "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill." and so forth) and admitting that the vast majority of the bible is absurd.
>>
File: 1480723385277.gif (490KB, 382x498px) Image search: [Google]
1480723385277.gif
490KB, 382x498px
>>717493565
I don't understand.
Why are you upset that Christians have this in their book but not upset that Muslims have this in their book AND practice it.
>>
>>717499724

Didn't know you suddenly had the answers to shit scholars are still arguing over today. You're clearly right.
>>
>>717499724
I wonder what it feels like to be completely destroyed by his own book
>>
File: spanish-inquisition_77y9.jpg (161KB, 1280x747px) Image search: [Google]
spanish-inquisition_77y9.jpg
161KB, 1280x747px
>>717498833
>still quoting a centuries old book as if it's still the current teachings
Well until Jesus shows up again with some new info, it's all we've got.
Unless you're one of those Mormons...

Anything else is literally nothing more than putting the desires of man above the law layed down by God himself (in the form of Jesus). You are a blasphemer. Your assertion that the Bible is no longer the Law is heresy.
>>
File: Ruger-Red-Label-20_002.jpg (65KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
Ruger-Red-Label-20_002.jpg
65KB, 600x399px
They apply the Bible to their lives where it's convenient and disregard the rest. Mewstly.
>>
The real answer is that the bible itself is unclear on the OT laws. Look here: http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/otlaw.html to see scripture quoted that both states the OT and is not still valid.
>>
>>717499873
don't worry, i'm giving the Muslims and other religions equal grief, just one at a time.
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.