[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thinking about joining the military. Green text stories of your

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 301
Thread images: 20

File: profile_400x400.jpg (24KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
profile_400x400.jpg
24KB, 400x400px
Thinking about joining the military. Green text stories of your best and worst times that you only could have gotten by joining the military.
>>
>>696281203
Heck yea boi. Join soon my dude!!!
I leave on September 19th for Parris island for the Marines.
Have you already graduated highschool?
>>
>join navy
>deployed on nuclear sub
>cool brooms
>nothing happened ever
>sweep sweep
>finish 'tour'
>fall on broom at home
>lost an eye
>fuck the navy
>>
>>696281203
Also, are you near the east or west coast?
>>
>get back from deployment
>14 hours powerpoint on things not to do
>dont drink too much
>dont drink and drive
>dont beat your wife
>dont drive too fast
>dont get mad too easily
>>
>>696281203
>be me, love aus join army (our army is like marines for you...not even close to retarded as your army lol)

>at kapookastan playing with mustard gas

>in confined space with all of the boys. Yank old mates mask off infront of me..

>good times
>>
File: 1468071084356s.jpg (3KB, 109x125px) Image search: [Google]
1468071084356s.jpg
3KB, 109x125px
>>696281738
>Oo rah and they wont take you without a diploma or if you have flat feet. 0321!
>>
>>696282237
Hopefully gonna be a 5811, here!
>>
File: image.jpg (92KB, 736x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
92KB, 736x480px
Itt: welfare queens
>>
>>696282237
I have flat feet and they took me, 0311. Then again I joined during the troop surge in 2006. Where you first or second recon?
>>
File: 1468000537490.jpg (166KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
1468000537490.jpg
166KB, 600x337px
>>696282471
Yee get it! Id love to join 0327 recon
>>
>>696282204
Is it true you guys ride into combat in kangaroo pouches?
>>
>>696282655
Wanting to join 1st havent served yet
>>
>>696282754
That's only the cav scouts that get to.. We mostly walk in the bush/sleep in pouches
>>
>>696282927
you cant join as recon, also dont say oorah to anyone or they will haze the shit out of you. fairly drunk now. also dont be a fucking MP, they're all pieces of shit
>>
>>696282740
Hell yeah! Is it true you can change your MOS after 2 or 4 years?
>>
File: 1469291912132.jpg (49KB, 612x623px) Image search: [Google]
1469291912132.jpg
49KB, 612x623px
>>696283146
Ok
>>
>>696283146
Kek
>Be careful, he is a pro at noscoping in COD
>>
>>696283191
no, its not. the recruiters are all lying lol. theres no time for school and you sure as fuck are stuck with your MOS AT LEAST 4 years, most of the time youre stuck in that career field until you hit 12-16 years (E-6-E7)
>>
18+ years in the Air Force. It was fun back in the day, but now it feels like a day care for adults. Go Army or Marines.
>>
>>696283427
Why not navy? What is so different about the army or marines?
>>
>>696283191
Idk im a civIlian. 0327 is recon right?
>>
>>696283423
I wouldn't want to change, but that is good to know.
>Unless I can squeeze my way into being a 8156 after I hit E-4
>>
>>696283676
no, its 0321
>>
>>696281203
>Be me
>Join the Navy
>One year later, still waiting to ship to boot camp
>Things could be better
>I should ship soon
>They keep promising
>Feel like it's never gonna happen
>Pretty shitty
>I can't keep waiting guys
>>
>>696281777

> "broom" is slang for "penis"
>>
>>696283585
Navy is fine, Air force is relaxed as fuck. Army and marines you get treated like a piece of equipment.. I went marine infantry.. dont regret it but holy shit i wish i had a skate military job like AF and navy motherfuckers did
>>
>>696283840
>Wat
can you pass all the IST's and shit my dude?
>>
>>696284026
I passed everything dude, I'm waiting for my security clearance because the government can't get it's head out of its ass long enough to get it done.
>>
do you have any questions about the marines in particular
>>
>>696284141
That sucks, I don't ship for another month, and all my stuff is cleared and I am good to go.
>>
>>696283798
O ok and 0317 is infantry?
>>
>>696284221
Pretty much past joining the marines just because I keep getting told it is bullshit city
>>
>>696284472
The corps has the least amount of bullshit.
Since they are the smallest force in the US.
>>
>>696284608
Every other person has told me things contrary to that. Why do you say they have the least amount of bullshit? What makes you think that? Explain yourself please.
>>
>>696284608
That, and because they actually get shit done.
The Marines do one thing.
>They win
>>
>>696281203
> Implying that you can or that they'd want you.
>>
Hey guys i have a few questions. I tried to enlist with the marines and i was honest with the recruiter about an illness i have. Crohn's is apparently a no go. So i tried flying under the radar and not tell the army recruiter. Later on after have stuff come up army caught wind of my issue from the marines i guess and told me i couldn't as well. So what can i do?
>>
>>696284838
Less people.
Less legislation to do fucking anything.
Higher physical standards, so the wimps never pass basic.
Strict physical standards for females and males, so the females don't just fucking sit around and do nothing.
>>
Did any of you finish college before enlisting? I'm working towards a bachelors degree (stem) but I've always been interested in joining the Coast guard or navy. What is the duration of one's service? I don't think it would be wise to be out of my field for a long time.
>>
i just got out of the USMC infantry , Rah. but seriously dont join the marine corps its getting pussified now. it doesnt exist anymore its easily the worst branch
>>
>>696285363
At least 8 years for the navy unless you go reserves.
>idk about THE GUARDIANS OF THE COAST.
>>
>>696285603
Pussified?
They just raised the PFT and IST standards... Again.
>As of in a couple of months.
>>
>>696284608

that is not true at all. its the most bullshit because how under funded it is
>>
>>696285807
They still do their job, and they still win.
>>
>>696285806
youre not allowed to haze people anymore, they are letting women in combat MOSs. its under funded. yeah they may have raised the pft standards but that doesnt matter.
>>
>>696284345
Lucky duck, My rate is nuclear, hbu?
>>
>>696282204
>our army is like marines for you...not even close to retarded as your army lol

>Army is retarded

>Meanwhile, the cesspool of toxic leadership that is the Marine Corps...

The USMC is just as retarded as the Army, if not moreso.
>>
>>696285918
the establishment itself sucked, but since i ws infantry i had the opportunity to be with some of the meanest , baddest motherfuckers to ever live. People who have killed the enemy indescriminantly. we are fucking savages to the utmost. the bonds i made when i was in will never die. and all of the places and world i got to see was worth the bullshit. i have some pretty crazy tales
>>
>>696286119
>Blue falcon buddy fucking po po.
>And I'm going into the corps not the navy.
>I was thinking about it though.
>>
>>696286341
>Libertard detected
>>
>>696285918
I don't see USA winning in middle east. Even after billions of dollars have been burn in military equipment.
>>
I fucked a lot of super eager fat bitches
>>
>>696286617
Because the middle east is a fucking lost cause.
>Nuke that sandy desert until its a fucking glass parking lot.
>>
>>696286575
Nah, bro. I just enlisted in the Army. Wouldn't touch the Marine Corps with a ten mile stick. I could do the exact same job in the Army, but deal with better funding, less bullshit, and have better standards of living.
>>
>>696286823
>Same job
Whatever my dude, after enlisting you either love the corps or hate it.
>>
>doc fag
>brigade change of command ceremony
>summer sausage spicy hot outside
>see soldier fall out of formation
>oh shit it's fun time
>run between columns and pull her back
>bitch is out of it
>gotta get dat temp wattup
>core temp is the most accurate temperature, thermometer goes in asshole
>pull down pants
>sweaty tight black ass/10
>insert thermometer into brown eye
>patient definitely felt it
>she says wrong hole
>internally dying
>temp was fine just went with pussy temp
>treated with ice sheets and fluids, patient never made eye contact after that
>still gives me keks
>>
MUHREEEN CORPSE active duty 2621 here, answering any questions anyone has about my field or the corps in general, infantry bros feel free to call me a POG
>>
I went to a the hospital when i was 16 for a suicide attempt. Is there any chance i could get into the army? Im 20 now
>>
>>696285145
Medical Waver
>>
Just got back from OCS 3 weeks ago. PLC Juniors. Fun time. Looking forward to seniors. Kill
>>
>>696285145
should of just lied about it in the first place nigger
>>
>>696289194
nobody likes a booteniuet
>>
>>696282176
This.
>>
>>696288399
Medical Waver
>>
>>696283423
In the AF you can cross train every time your enlistment is up, unless your in a critical career field like i was.. feelsbadman.
>>
>>696288399
the ONLY way would be to lie, if you're honest you'll be 100% DQ

not saying lying is a good idea however that would be your own choice, and honestly the enlisted life would make you an hero anyways

dont listen to this cuck >>696289560
they will not approve a medical waiver for a suicide attempt, the military is cutting back and can chose perfect kids fresh out of high school
>>
File: jkuytgjiutkiyl,o.png (32KB, 1473x200px) Image search: [Google]
jkuytgjiutkiyl,o.png
32KB, 1473x200px
>join Marines
>get cancer
>>
no thanks: military takes orders from a obama, trump, or hillary

no thanks: military gets killed for israel, south korea, iraq, afghanistan

no thanks: military produces nothing of value and is welfare queen

please go learn a trade and contribute to the world instead of being a misused and abused security guard that the rest of us have to pay for.
>>
>>696289748
>DQ
i mean would they be able to look into that type of medical record?
>>
>>696289748
You haven't meet new army have you? Join army infantry if you can breath they'll take you. Trust me cuz I met a guy who had PTSD, a guy who was clinically depressed, and a guy with anger issues that was passed through 30th.
>>
>>696290749
The guy with PTSD told us and the drill sergeants that he can see a little girl bring in a house. He was a fireman by the way.
>>
>Join the Air Force
>First assignment Korea
>First week
>Base Exercise
>Sitting at a DFP for 13 hours everyday for a week
>Go to Juicy bar with my supervisor
>Fuck 16 y/o Filipino juicy
>Travel Korea party all the time fuck lots of military sluts
>Next base is in Germany
>Travel europe fuck more sluts in different countries
>get out
>Find 70k year job cause of military service
>Find GF
>Eventually marry
>Have 2 kids
>life is good
>Life seems like the movie ground hog day now
>Shouldn't have gotten out
>>
>>696290749
you obviously have never been to MEPS

>>696290496
what mos do you want to do? anything with a TS clearance dont lie, if it doesnt require a clearance then most the time if you can keep your fucking mouth shut no matter what and not get into trouble/have a mental breakdown youre good to go
>>
>>696291212
Dude I was discharged because I fractured my shin in basic. I've been to MEPS.
>>
>>696291421
dude they would not let you into any service with suicidal history.
>>
>>696289463
Nope. Good thing promotions exist
>>
>>696291759
Dude I'm telling you I've met 3 people who have made suicidal comments all they do is send you to therapy. And once you're "healed" they just recycle you. Idk if it was different for you but that happened with my company
>>
I don't understand how anyone can be proud to serve when all our politicians are either crooked or incompetent. How can you take pleasure in carrying a gun for evildoers and morons?
>>
>>696292051
Then again my 1st Sergeant was a ranger and he just told us that we were pisses and to get over it.
>>
Question for both Army and Marine anons.
I got arrested when I was 16 for a assault class 3 (a misdemeanor) and I'm wondering how that will effect my chances of getting in? I also smoked pot for a year but quit. never got caught for that so there's no record of me doing it. Should I just lie or be truthful about it?
>>
>>696281203
I was army for 6 years, best times was with the few people I could associate with, sharing my last smoke with my AG on a 2 week field exercise, laughing about some fat nasty batch he fucked last week.

The worst, being called back to base from vacation with my new gf two states over, all because we had just finished a week long serial harassment education week, and some fuck head private said "who ordered the hookers!?" 6 whole hours after the last powerpoint. All so I could spend my weekend in the barracks, cleaning every floor wall and, yes, ceiling.
>>
>>696291212
The whole depression was a phase primaraly of being a angry teenager. It all seems fucking silly now
>>
>>696292051
suicide comments in boot is different then hospitalization for a suicide attempt as OP was discussing.
>>
File: Special-Olympics-coach-007.jpg (25KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
Special-Olympics-coach-007.jpg
25KB, 460x276px
>>696290749
That's funny because AR 40–501 states that he cannot join if he has ever attempted suicide. Back to call of duty faggot.
>>
>>696292418
They'll look at your records bro. Everything is connected to your SSN so be truthful. I have a buddy who was rejected 3xs for having coke in his system
>>
>>696292418
Don't tell them you smoked, this is just the first of many lessons on how to be shady within the military. When I got to my unit I found out about half of the guys over me were into hard drugs.
>>
>>696284911

kek

marine here. i can tell you from experience that killing villages full of civilians is not winning

we bully
>>
>>696282204
hey /b/ro i live near kapooka, is the training hard as fuck? my mate just enlisted and he said its pretty full on 18 hr days and shit
>>
>>696289748
>cutting back
Not true. The Navy just started allowing people to join with neck tattoos. They're in need, and the military always wants people.
>MOS 0311
>Marine 2.5 years
>>
>>696292786
Yea it also states you shouldn't be 260 lbs if you're 6 ins
>>
>>696294173
>>
>>696292418
As far as your assault charge you can't hide that. You however have NEVER SMOKED before though. That they don't need to know >>696292969 is right. If it's personal and not on a public record or some shit like that than it never happened
>>
>>696294166
You may be right devil, that being said its not like 2003-2007 when they'd take anyone, a suicide attempt is a no go in the military, you've been to MEPS, ive been to MEPS we both know that they'd laugh in your face.
>>
>>696294166
I guess every literate person that can do arithmetic was not interested.
>>
>>696294166
What the fuck is up with the new tatto policy? I kinda wanted to get one but shit sounds like a hassle and my OSO would be pissed
>>
>>696292418
No, you can still join with those charges, but be honest.
About the pot, don't say shit. They'll try and get you to admit, but theres no way of knowing. Best of luck
>Lcpl
>MOS 0311
>>
>>696294442
True, however, if its not documented, theres no way of knowing. My advice would be to follow what the recruiter says, he wants him to join regardless. I mean, he has a quota.

>>696294494
Check out the NavyTimes website, they have so info on that. I just heard about it from some buddies. But if I had to guess, probably not bigger then your palm as all tattoos go.
>>
>>696294560
And don't fall for the 'moment of truth'. They don't know shit besides what papers they already have on you
>>
>>696295075
i agree with you anon, just saying dont try to be honest or youll get DQ'd

from what i hear medical records are hard or even impossible to track down if you dont tell them about them
>>
5,6 190lbs 60+hrs of college. Some of it is basics and the rest revolves around computers and programming. I'm wanting to join the military, my brother in the navy suggest i do navy? any advice for me?
>>
>>696295484
Haha, couldn't be more true.
heard a story about that happening to someone
>>
>>696281203
Full USAF career. Enjoyed most of it. Fixing fighters is fun if you are a gearhead. Did Germany, Korea, Moody, Shaw and Pope AFB plus many TDYs. Even the Sand Box deployments were chill. Still in touch with many AFbros. Married righteous helicopter crew chief wife.

Would do again as would every retired AFvet I've ever met.

Where ever you go, think "career" first because most of your fucking career is at peace, not war.
Don't hang with losers. Get smart fast and stay that way. Fuck "never volunteering". Know what to volunteer for like crosstraining (who wants one job for twenty years? Do complementary jobs) and special duty assignments.

>18+ years in the Air Force. It was fun back in the day, but now it feels like a day care for adults. Go Army or Marines.

You have lost your fucking mind my Airbro. No possible level of USAF misery would be worth switching to either Army or Marines. ALL SNCOs in that long get bored because being a supervisor is adult day care, and the most stressful couple years are the last before you hits that beautiful 20 year mark, at which point a celestial choir sings and a halo forms around your head because you can choose to stay for pay bumps or turn down orders and not re-up. (I stayed 26).

Relax, knock out the last couple, pay off your mortgage if you have one or knock it down, then move to your second career or just kick back in retirement. Many retirees become professional students on the G.I. Bill. I had large fun taking structural/pipe welding and machine shop while getting BAH for doing it.

The Army and Marines treat their enlisted like shit, and because they need meatbags to support the (many) sharp troops their enlistment standards are low. My recruiter laughed about sending his low ASVAB scorers down the hall to the other services. Many years later my peers became recruiters to homestead prior to retiring. They did the same thing. It's no joke.
>>
I'm a poolee with a really high asvab score. like 90s. Did i fuck up hard and if so, how do i get out cleanly?
>>
>>696295981
Navy or Airforce, even Army.
If you have a degree, try for OCS. Best option possible.
>>
>>696295981
Finish college and find a job
>>
>>696296448
You could have been fixing cars or trucks or farm machinery or construction equipment. Instead of bullshit planes that Boeing or Northrop overcharged us for.
>>
>>696295981
AF vet here. Make fucking sure your Navy specialty has NO POSSIBLE shore duty in combat zones. My civilian welding instructorbro was prior Navy. He joined to weld because Navy welding schools are superb. He got sent to Iraq with a Marine combat engineering unit for whatever reason and had severe PTSD. Great guy. Shot himself a couple years back.

Navy tech training is excellent. I defer to Navy techs on best fields to choose.
>>
>>696281203
Intel pog reporting in from Afghanistan. Just fuckin stay home
>>
>>696295981
Whatever you do don't enlist. You'll be wasting your degree. I'm not talking down on enlisted but you would be doing yourself a disfavor. Look into each branch and know what you want. Marines if you wanna kill shit. Air Force if you want cable tv
>>
>>
>>696282176
exactly this. except it's more like a week and a half of this bullshit, then another 2 weeks of "let's load and unload our connexes again, there could be something missing." Like motherFUCKER we did this bullshit when we left. Fuck the army.
>>
"New cargo planes on order for the U.S. Air Force are being delivered straight into storage in the Arizona desert because the military has no use for them, a Dayton Daily News investigation found.

A dozen nearly new C-27J Spartans from Ohio and elsewhere have already been taken out of service and shipped to the so-called boneyard at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base in Tucson. Five more are expected to be built by April 2014, all of which are headed to the boneyard unless another use for them is found.

The Air Force has spent $567 million on 21 C-27J aircraft since 2007, according to purchasing officials at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. Sixteen had been delivered by the end of September."

>$567 million
>>
>>696297288
hey man, comcast at fort camble gave me 60mbs internet. Shit was awesome, then they randomly charged me an extra 75 dollars to the paycheck without telling me.
>>
Had to pick up pieces of some friends of mine. Probably the worst thing I've ever had to do. There are some great times in the military but when it sucks, it sucks.
>>
>>696298777
RIP to my spelling, campbell
>>
>>696298777
Hahaha see what they don't tell you is the military is expensive and loves to fuck up your pay
>>
Don't have any good stories. Went Army, somehow picked the only job that doesn't deploy, doesn't go to the field, doesn't do anything Army related.
Chill office job, just gotta deal with PT and your run of the mill Army admin BS. No biggie... basically living the dream.

I would join up again, definitely. You meet some of the best people you could ever meet in the military. Also some of the worst, and some of the fucking weirdest. But above all, lots of great people.
>>
>>696286617
because you either weren't there to see what it was like in 2006 or youre just retarded but its much better than it was before we got there.
>>
>>696299191
Curious, what as your MOS?
>>
>>696299454

17C if that means much to you. If not I can't really elaborate too much, but we really don't do anything special unless you're high speed. I just go to work, deal with bullshit, go home and enjoy my paycheck.
>>
Military golf. Of course, generals and admirals aren’t the only ones who get to enjoy some of perks of being in the U.S. armed forces. Although lower-ranking service members don’t get private jets and personal chefs, U.S. taxpayers still spend billions of dollars a year to pay for luxuries that are out of reach for the ordinary American.

The Pentagon, for example, runs a staggering 234 golf courses around the world, at a cost that is undisclosed.

According to one retired lieutenant colonel in the Air Force, who also just happens to be the senior writer at Travel Golf, the very best military golf course in the U.S. is the Air Force Academy’s Eisenhower Blue Course in Colorado Springs, Colo.

He writes, “This stunning 7,000-plus yard layout shares the same foothills terrain as does the legendary Broadmoor, just 20 minutes to the south in Colorado Springs. Ponderosa pines, pinon and juniper line the fairways with rolling mounds, ponds and almost tame deer and wild turkey.” (The Department of Defense did come under fire a number of decades ago when it was discovered that the toilet seats at this course cost $400 a pop.)

And the number of golf courses is often undercounted, with controversial courses in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and Mosul, Iraq, often left off the lists, which makes assessing the total costs difficult.

Yet some courses rack up staggering expenses as they become far more than mere stretches of grass.

According to journalist Nick Turse, “The U.S. Army paid $71,614 [in 2004] to the Arizona Golf Resort — located in sunny Riyadh, Saudi Arabia,… The resort actually boasts an entire entertainment complex, complete with a water-slide-enhanced megapool, gym, bowling alley, horse stables, roller hockey rink, arcade, amphitheater, restaurant, and even a cappuccino bar — not to mention the golf course and a driving range.”

DoD’s Sungnam golf course in the Republic of Korea, meanwhile, is reportedly valued at $26 million.

>$400 toilet seats
>>
>>696296823
Child, grow the fuck up, What the planes cost is flawlessly irrelevant to a career working on them. The purpose of wars doesn't even matter because they look the same. (History is your friend, not teen cunty trolling vaginitis.)

War is the sport of kings. Kings need people to fight so they must draft or pay. Be delighted the volunteer force means you won't ever get drafted.

You don't see the politics. You see what you are doing. The difference between training and combat sorties is the weapons load.

>You could have been fixing cars or trucks or farm machinery or construction equipment.

I have fixed "cars and trucks and farm machinery and construction equipment" (and many motorcycles). Military aviation is preferable to working in those fields. (Professional motorcycle wrenching can be very cool but I suggest formal training then working for a large Japanese dealership and working up to service manager. It still doesn't touch AF pay and benefits.)

I joined during a recession, never felt one since, and unlike my peers some of who watched their 401Ks vanish in the Recession, my earned deferred compensation (military retirement essentially buys soldiery on credit, contemplate that sometime) is reasonably protected.

I had large fun, met many righteous people, and the flightline maintainer culture was highly enjoyable. As a biker when work was over, I was off base. The proportion of disposable income G.I.s have is considerable and the math adds up. Noobs have their needs met and if they don't go in debt (avoid car dealers who love you long time) or marry some white trash slam pig or foreign zipperhead who love you long time for your paycheck) life is fat.
>>
>>696299697
Yeah, that sounds boring as fuck dude lol
But I do envy you. I picked 35F thinking it was gonna be a chill job. NOPE. We did everything the infantry did because we needed to get "familiar" with our "assets" and of course, we're one of the most deployable MOS's in the army, fuck me. We also have a bunch of useless shit we don't use, that we bring with us anyways. Half of it doesn't even work.
>>
>>696299715

The military spends a lot of money on some pretty random, pointless bullshit.
Then they withhold money from things that matter... I'm amazed the military functions at all.
>>
>>696298590
Irrelevant and that money is peanuts.

They can sit in AMARC until a use, including FMS, is found for them. DM is highly efficient at returning value for money. Take a tour if you get the chance.
>>
>>696299917
I'd rather serve two or four years of compulsory service like the IDF than pay for your retirement. Then maybe the public would be interested in what the military is doing, rather than letting it run fucking wild.
>>
>>696300038

Definitely boring, man. Was expecting to be outside at least a little bit... lmao. Its a sad, sad thing when I actually get excited to be placed on a post cleanup detail or something. But our job has its perks... sitting in a nice, AC'd office, getting excellent civilian side job training is underrated haha.

I work a few 35Fs. They get to actually do some useful stuff here, and since they're in my particular unit, they get to enjoy not being deployed or sit around in the field haha.

17C is brand new. They're actively looking to make us more tactical, so I see some bullshit coming on the horizon. My hope is to GTFO before that happens
>>
>>696282176
Just got back from deployment three months ago
It's exactly that repeated every day for three weeks
>>
>>696298159
Lel, former 15U here. I remember a day we spent from work call until lunch moving the shit from one connex to the one next to it in 90 degree no air flow GA., then when we got back at 1300 the E7 made a mistake and we spent the rest of the day loading the shit back into the first connex.
Still don't know if it was a troll day.....
>>
>>696300272
"About 750 F-22 Raptors were proposed at an initial cost of $26.2 billion ($3.49 million per F-22). The Air Force only purchased 187 of the problem-plagued aircraft at a cost of $412 million each. This number includes cost for research and production.

In 2009, it was proposed that 2,443 F-35s would be produced. It was also claimed to be stealthy; it is not. The cost overruns are due to software delays, fuel tank redesign, defects issues. A recent Rand report stated the F-35 “can’t turn, can’t climb, can’t run.”

The lightning protection, flight control problems, helmet display and numerous other cost overruns on the F-35 is huge; a trillion dollars and climbing."

Is that peanuts? Does it sound efficient? Can you get back money from a cost overrun?
>>
>>696299177
>Hahaha see what they don't tell you is the military is expensive and loves to fuck up your pay

Hang onto all your pay records, forever. They can even help prove where you served decaded later when dealing with the VA.

Keep medical record hard copies too, and have updated printouts made throughout your career.

Save every fucking TDY and PCS order you get. I help older vets with VA shit and one Nam vet can't prove boots on ground because so many G.I.s were sent to Nam from other Asian bases on verbal orders then the paperwork disappeared. Computers lose shit too.
>>
>>696300038
was 15U, got fucked up and acted as a 35F on the rear D with other 15 series while the real 35F's were deployed. Did Brigade S2, chill as fuck dude played games like smash castle walls with catapults or some shit online because AKO was down half the time and I had nothing to do but run background checks to the MPs which were like 150 ft. away.
>>
>>696300578
Well, when we trained or did our jobs it was okay. Fields suck for us because we don't actively do anything out there most of the time. When we do, it's infantry crap because our PL wants to be all hooah. I wish you luck man, seems chill for ya. I'd pick a different job if I rejoined the Army again.
>>
>>696286343
share one
>>
>>696301371
Every series sucks bro, the Army sucks. Serving sucks, America sucks, I'm a bitter vet, fuck it.
>>
>>696301219
>>696300038

I basically do my job for about 30 minutes and then run out of stuff to do.
The rest of the day is shooting the shit with coworkers and taking smoke breaks. Maybe a promotion ceremony or some random shit in the middle of the day to break it up.
Throw appointments in the mix and you have the chillest, easiest job ever.
Also just got a new office. Life is fucking good, now. All the shit NCO's are gone, and my company is basically entering a new golden age. We'll see how long that shit lasts.
>>
>>696281203
>Be me
>Deployed with the National Guard
>Go to the portashitter
>See Kim Jong Un artfully drawn as a dick
>"Kim Jong Dong"
>mfw
>>
>>696300734
>>696301219
15U sounds chill. I had a buddy who was in Alaska, enjoyed his time.
and connex duty is shit, literally once a month moving it out, spending all day for the XO/CO to "make time for us" and come down so he can check off the items on the list. Just so we can pack it all back in, BUT WAIT! the boxes are in the wrong way, do it again. Bro, it's 98 degrees, humid as fuck and we're roasting on the black top.
It's always troll day man.
>AKO was down half the time
ahhh god times.
>>
>>696301695
Until the next E6 with a dick up his ass who german suplexed his wife on Thanksgiving shows up. Personal experience.
>>
The latest Pentagon proposal is for a new stealth bomber (B-3). Northrop needs this bomber in order to compete with Lockheed’s F-35 fighter and Boeing’s KC-46A tanker. But consider for a moment the B-3’ s predecessor, the B-2. In 1986, the Air Force projected the need for 132 B-2s at $441 million per plane. The number was reduced to 20 after the cost rose to $2.2 billion per plane and must be sheltered because its effectiveness deteriorates in rain, heat and humidity.

The Air Force is not the only example. It is a systemic problem .

The average major Pentagon acquisition is 40 percent over budget. Even when the DOD purchases prescription drugs for the armed forces, it pays 60 percent more than Medicaid.

The problem is not the American service members’ pension and health care but the wanton waste of money and the unaccountability in DOD spending.
>>
>>696301685
I feel for you bro, I just drank. That seemed to fix a lot of shit, but it also got me thrown in ASAP for 6 months..
>>696301695
shiete, all but like 2 of our NCO's were pricks 100% of the time.
>>
With respect to contractors, the Defense Department customarily does business with an inverted system of rewards and penalties. Contractors are often rewarded for higher than planned program costs with increased sales, higher contributions to overhead, and higher profits. The system also encourages government and industry managers to place higher priority on gaining congressional approval to begin new acquisition weapon programs or obtain additional funding for ongoing programs than it does on controlling cost. The U.S. Government Accountability Office as well as other defense analysts have observed that the acquisition cost overruns of the 1980s, 1990s, and 2000s are not aberrations; they are the result of many government and industry participants reacting in perfect accord with the distorted rewards and penalties inherent in the acquisition process.
>>
>>696301848
It was sort of chill tbh man when you're on the airfield not deployed. Not a lot of micromanagement, mostly just do your job on the bird and have the TI sign off on it, but it's shit labor like greasing swashplates and looking for cracks and wiping dirt up. They make up for the micromanagement by getting in your ass extra deep when they decide to notice you.
>>
>>696301891

Lmaaaao basically. That was our last round of leadership. Just got a new 1SG. Really cares about soldiers and isn't an old Army type hardass.
I'm down for doing some Army shit, but it just doesn't mix in well with our particular mission. All of our newest NCO's are freshly promoted, people I went to AIT with. Everything will be okay, I think ;)
>>
Marine Medics are the best; just ask /k/!
>>
>>696302245
>Marine Medics
What?
>>
>>696281203
I absolutely hate the space of respect we hold for U.S. soldiers, when most of them only joined the army when they were pushed into a social and economic corner. I'm not paying any fucking "respect" for someone who is essentially a political pawn for foreign military rape.
>>
>>696302245
corpsmen, not medic for the marines. Army has medics.
>>
>>696302472
You see the thread, they just want a good time and a paycheck. Hard to blame them for that, but they are willfully ignoring their contribution to a bad system.

A system that wastes the money of taxpayers and kills people overseas for very few good goals. Again, they're generally lower class and lacking education so it isn't surprising. But they should be embarrassed to be economic and political pawns.
>>
>>696302116
Lol yeah man I'm drinking now, Seagrams 7 and Coke Zero. I'll give you a story then bro. I'm on the rear off of HAAF, doing 120 down Abercorn (the main fucking road in Savannah) at like 2 AM. Cop pulls me over I'm doing like 80 by then in a 45 because I know Crown Vic headlights from a mile off.
I'm in the middle of going through a medboard and the cop stops me like 1/2 mile from the gate, literally on the other side of the road was the fence for perimiter road.
Dude says "I got you doing 19 over" when I was going almost 80 over and I was like "yup you got me man".
He says "so you can take this ticket or I can call the MPs"
"I'll take the ticker,sir"
paid 140 bucks, done and over with. Med board not fucked up, not having to drive an hour every saturday to Ft. Stewart for drunk driving class in class A's I can't fit in anymore worth every goddamn penny.
Put that Camaro in a wall shortly after I got home haha
>>
>>696302472

That's cool bro. That's actually totally valid, but I think you're being too butthurt.
Just like you said, its just people trying to make some money. Its just unfortunate that one of the biggest employers in the USA happens to be an industrial war machine.
Why does it work?
Because for many people, but definitely not all of them, it gives them a good life. Some people crash and burn in the military... and its sad shit. But most people just raise families or whatever and move on.
>>
>>696302244
if you're a shamshield and knew the NCOs before they were patched you're golden bro I saw it a million times.
Hell the read D was so few people that I was boys with a couple of E7s
>>
>>696303211
My problem is that it's a waste of tax money. 60% of the people in the military should be out in the regular economy working normal jobs, rather than getting a check from uncle sam for questionable military goals.
>>
File: 20 AMB.jpg (589KB, 1734x1752px) Image search: [Google]
20 AMB.jpg
589KB, 1734x1752px
>>696300577
>I'd rather serve two or four years of compulsory service like the IDF than pay for your retirement. Then maybe the public would be interested in what the military is doing, rather than letting it run fucking wild.

Modern war needs career troops to run complex systems and does not need masses of short timer cannon fodder. Conscription is a terrible fit for modern war. Check your history. The public don't give a shit either way, with the notable exception of Viet Nam and then it took forever. There were many other wars and OOTW which sucked but got no notice.

A rotating pool of pissed off conscripts (or people joining non-drafting branches to avoid the draft) whose "designated sacrifice" is to appease everyone else's idea of "shared sacrifice" take their training with them when they leave. That gets troops killed and leads to unprofessional battlefield behavior like Son My.

USAF aircraft crash rates dropped like a flamed out Phantom after the "Hollow Force" was replaced by the All Volunteer Force. (Rumsfeld got that one right in his first SecDef term.) I served from 1981 to 2007 and witnessed the change in person. It takes about three to six years to mature a technician. They peak around ten or twelve years in service after which they move into supervision.

The IDF has a career core but conscription is required because Israel is TINY. They have to defend two fronts against much larger opponents. The IDF are restructuring during the safe lull given them by Syrian and Iraqi squabbles in the east and peace with Egypt at their west. Part of that is moving to a more professional career force.

Even Russia is reshaping their military into a more career oriented force because it's much more efficient. General Shamanov is remodelling their Airborne forces and doing well at it.
>>
>>696303320

Yep, definitely rocking the shamshield, brother. Not for long though since we get promoted just for having a pulse. Not only that, but I'm regularly put in leadership roles so I can't sham too hard. Good thing I'm a nice guy and all my soldiers are my fucking bro's.
Kinda starting to understand why some people lose their cool, though. Getting a bunch of lazy fucks to get simple shit done can be infuriating.
>>
>>696281203
>Be me in 2000-2001
>Be private doing random shit at a mil base
>Officer comes over
>"anon, i need you to build a trench uphill to stop the flooding"
>Lolwut.jpg
>Dig a uphill trench as i am told because dont want CO called.
>Finish
>"anon, this trench doesnt work wtf are you doing?"
>"I did what you told me to do sir"
Eventually the idiot calls my co and i explain the situation and he agrees with me.
Officers are fucking idiots. Army btw.
>>
>>696303557

Well, that's how the government is getting 'em. Its too easy to enlist, and the benefits are glorious if you're of the right mentality to deal with authority and being shit on by tons of bullshit on a daily basis.

I agree with you. The military is huge and its bullshit, but almost everybody throws morality out of the window when it comes time to pay the bills and feed their loved ones. Especially in a country where you have to go in debt just to get a proper education and still risk being unemployed.

The other option? Enlist and suffer (or not) for 4+ years and come out with a free college tuition. If you did it right, you also came out with great friends and crazy experiences. If you're unlucky, you got the shit side of the Army and come out fucked up mentally and physically.
>>
>>696303910
Remind me again why we need 1,300,000 active duty military and perform as Team America World Police.

Remind me again what country is going to invade the United States of America, rather than some freeloading foreigners that we're propping up?

You're referring to threats that don't exist in order to make a case for a military too big and too expensive for our needs.
>>
>>696303949
You know how to fix that bro if they won't get their shit together.
Tell them this at PT : "show up to work call with your patrol cap and camelbaks" we ALL know that means rake duty in our bones. When they show up say "this is your only warning, if you don't tighten up I'll have you dress right dress the leaves around company HQ, then iron mike to pick each one up"
or something like that....the "chain of command" smoking was one that always scared me. Fuckers come up with some inventive torture.
>>
>>696304392
Or you could just go to community college/vocational school and learn a trade at the age of 18 and become a productive member of society in 2-5 years flat, supporting yourself.
>>
>>696300777
F-22 is a boondoggle but again has fuck all to do with WORKING in the Air Force other than fixing them. We should have bought more Strike Eagles then built advanced UAVs instead.

You are confusing two different things but you want to.

Fun boondoggle fact: Famously problematic OBOGS which replaced good old fashioned oxygen dewars originated with the defunct F-20 Tigershark as a way to reduce ground support manning. LOX servicing is easy but the bean counters wanted to get rid of the LOX plants (didn't happen).
>>
>>696304614
If I could do it again, I would follow this route all the way. Spent 20,000 too much during my first two years at some obscure liberal arts institution.
>>
>>696304474

Yep. I enlisted to pay the bills and thought it would be interesting. Its definitely been interesting in the most unhappy, painful way possible but I would do it again.
I get uncomfortable as hell every time someone thanks me for my "service". Maybe I'd accept that shit if I actually deployed and did something. I'm being thanked in the middle of the store, grabbing a damn coffee real quick after a day of smoking ciggies with my buddies and shamming out of work. Stop thanking random soldiers!
>>
>>696286119
Oh god going nuke. RIP. I was a nuke. The school will make you want to kill yourself
>>
>>696304764
Issue 1: wasting money on shit that doesnt work, because since the military doesnt need the shit in the first place, it doesnt matter if it doesnt work. you dont need it anyway.

Issue 2: guys employed to be mechanics for machines that you dont need, so it doesnt matter if they work or not

is this what you mean?
>>
Joining the military during a drawdown like we are in now is a stupid idea. With nothing to do, you'll be cleaning shit and painting shit. And when your done ,and painting, you'll clean and paint some more. Wait until Eastern Europe heats up in a year or two then you'll have an actual war to fight in.
>>
>>696305296
Who is going to war in eastern europe? bulgaria and macedonia? over kebabs?
>>
>>696304614

Fair point. Too bad tons of young dumbasses (like myself) didn't know all of their options and were simply scared shitless of being completely in debt.
Either way, I don't regret it. Making great friends and learning all sorts of shit. Its a fucked system, but some of us don't give a fuck about your morality, tbh. That's not an insult, I'm literally just trying to pay the bills and live my life. It's that simple for most people in the world no matter what job.
>>
>>696305494
Ok, fair. I take back my bad tone then.
>>
>>696304764
OBOGS originated in the B-1 program, not the F-20.
>>
>>696305490

Hopefully. Those fucks need some kebabs with a side of freedom and democracy.
>>
>>696305824

It's all good. I gave more of a shit about my morals until I realized I was going to be broke af without healthcare benefits or anything very soon unless I did something drastic.
Military got me stabilized. Sure, it caused me a divorce but I look at that as a positive lmao.
>>
>>696305490

Take a look at your local military base and note the paint scheme on everything. It's no longer sand colored. It's back to good old woodland camo. That tells me the next war will be somewhere with lots of green trees. Perhaps SE Asia, but my guess is Eastern Europe once Putin monopolizes natural gas exports to the rest of EU.
>>
Question to the Marines:
Bipolar, multiple accounts of assault and battery, time in juvy with a 3 month suspended sentence until I'm 21, a medical history folder thicker than 3 encyclopedias put together.

I'm fit as a horse, built for stamina, smarter than the average bear, and will do just about anything asked of me if I'm payed well enough.

Chances of me getting in?
>>
>>696306120
No. The next war is desert. Painted green now to repaint to tan later and charge the budget again. Double profits for painting contractors.
>>
>>696306198

Slim to none. You missed your chance with OIF.
>>
>>696306198

Will anything bad pop in a background check? I'm no expert on how the military views your juvy record... and assault and battery sound bad. Again I'm no expert.
With regards to medical issues, at MEPS you will be grilled over and over again about your medical history, but they cannot access your medical history. You can lie through your teeth. If it gets found out later that you lied, technically you can get fucked, but almost everybody lies at MEPS about literally everything. Just speak with a recruiter; doesn't hurt to try.
>>
>>696306346
The military is dumb in many ways, but they're not quite that dumb.
>>
>>696306507
My medical history is like something straight out of a medical textbook and just as thick.
The assault and battery that caused juvy was against my dad who's a marine. I broke three of his ribs while he had me in a head lock and was trying to break my orbital. Can green text if anyone's interested.
>>
>>696306579
It's also the perfect way to keep Putin on edge. He sees green, he stays wary and doesn't get too bold. When in fact, we're preparing for invasion of Oman for WMD.
>>
>>696306788
no not really.
>>
>>696306507
And in regards to the background check, no. Just a kid being a kid. No drugs, no theft, nothing except a fucked up kid with a fucked up childhood.
>>
>>696306788
Green text would be cool.

Again, just talk to a recruiter. They don't personally give a fuck about what you've done in the past. If they see a way to get you enlisted, they'll work it. If its not possible, they'll simply tell you. Its not like they're going to give you shit for it. Unless they don't like your face or your attitude or something, idk.
>>
File: Minnesota.jpg (35KB, 567x337px) Image search: [Google]
Minnesota.jpg
35KB, 567x337px
>join navy
>suckered into nuke
>become ELT (radcon and chemistry, sweet gig)
>do nothing for 3 years but surveys
>bored as fuck
>regularly stood watch playing 'the deckplates are lava'
>scare the shit out of CONERS by making up stories about radiation
>stationed in shithole, training other NUBS to be ELTs
>miss the fleet
>>
>>696306948
Now that they no longer need cannon fodder they've gone back to picking the best of the best. I doubt you'd get in even on a waiver, which they don't issue too many of these days.
>>
>>696304421
>You're referring to threats that don't exist in order to make a case for a military too big and too expensive for our needs.

NAME the threats I referred to. You read too fast, I was referring to IDF threats when comparing force structures and didn't refer to Russia as a THREAT. I was noting that even they finally got a clue.

Caught ya! Read what I fucking wrote.

The draft would cost MORE than the volunteer force because it would discard experience thus requiring more expensive training. If you want a SMALLER force, call your elected officials. Israel wants a smaller active duty professional force for economic reasons. They don't have money to burn.

How would a draft cut costs for a same number force structure? Conscription requires far more trainees (the unwilling only have to fuck up enough to get discharged), more military jails (even right wing pro-drafters forget how many stockades were required!), and that's just the tip of the expense iceberg.

Your ideal non-career conscript force needs more training in a much shorter window. A two-year conscript has Basic plus other schools which can eat most of a year. That leave little time to learn his job before his hitch ends and his expensive replacement repeats the process.

Here's what the draft era looked like: https://msuweb.montclair.edu/~furrg/Vietnam/heinl.html

If your objection to the military is bloated costs, I gently suggest you think more and rant less. A small professional force can do more with less. A mob of malcontents does a lot less a lot worse while requiring more money.

Procurement reform is desperately needed, but that isn't a force structure issue. Never confuse the two.
>>
>>696307047
>>696307204

Yeah, it's definitely not as easy to get in if you have stuff in your past that you can't lie about.
Maybe you'll get lucky and a war will kick in once Trump gets elected.
>>
>>696307293
Tl:dr
>>
File: Dinq.jpg (35KB, 500x590px) Image search: [Google]
Dinq.jpg
35KB, 500x590px
>>696286119
4 year nuke.
If you're not in yet. FUCKING DON'T DO IT.
If it's too late, pick Mechanic at boot, try your fucking hardest to go ELT once you get to prototype.
>Pic: nuke life in a nutshell
>>
File: 1466835863565.gif (1MB, 276x286px) Image search: [Google]
1466835863565.gif
1MB, 276x286px
>>696307047
Having been raised by a Marine I've got the yes sir attitude down pat.

>Thanksgiving with the family, I'm 15
>Mom's cooking, I go to get an apple from the fridge
>Accidentally pull a bowl out along with the bag of apples and it hits the floor but didn't break
>Sorry out momentarily and throw it at a wall, shattering it
>Glance au my dad and notice him getting up
>Think it's best to leave the house until things cool down
>Dad grabs me as I'm opening the door and gets me in a head lock
>Begins pummeling my face while I elbow him in the chest
>Broke three of his ribs, he gave me one hell of a black eye
>Mfw he tried to take me to court over it and dropped the charges because it would fuck his career.
>>
>>696307766
Sperg*
On my phone so it corrected 'sperg' to 'sorry'.
>>
File: Work.jpg (28KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Work.jpg
28KB, 500x375px
>>696307610
If you're an EO (electrical operator) or RO (reactor operator) though, expect to see this for the next X years of your life.
>>
>>696307766

Holy shit.
Wish it did fuck his career.

Talk to a recruiter nigger
>>
>>696307293
You must think there are some pretty big threats, because your method of argumentation assumes all these points are critical. Do you think if we have too few soldiers we'll be destroyed as an independent country? How about if we have the wrong force structure? Someone will just invade us the next day?

You're full of shit. You think that knowing a lot about how the military works translates into expert knowledge about what we need. That's the great fallacy of military men. You're planning strategy and claiming a domain of knowledge without practical, relevant data. How much did the Maginot line cost? I bet they argued really well for its absolute necessity.
>>
>>696283423
That's b.s. my unit sent out if it's way to let people go to school while they were in
>>
>>696281203
All these responses.. TLDR

>join Navy
>go through school for 2 years
>sweep water in the rain
>do corrosion control and paint shit I don't own
>do a mini-fresh water wash down a day before the whole ship does a fresh water wash down because there is salt on the decks because you're in the Atlantic fucking ocean
>have your deployment get extended
>watch all the minorities get capped who didn't deserve it
>get fucked everyday
>watch literally everyone else but your division leave at lunch

It's easy though.. Don't pick a shit job.
>>
>>696308146

So happy I didn't go Navy. Don't want to be anywhere near water wtf
Best jobs in any branch, imo, are the computer related ones. Do cyber stuff, admin, or glorified IT specialist.
What is that in the Navy? CTN or some weird shit like that? I don't understand your rates.
>>
File: received_1020193111324401.jpg (58KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
received_1020193111324401.jpg
58KB, 960x540px
>>696281203
Alright OP, I got some good shit for ya.

>be me
>Stationed on west coast, decide to take leave with a buddy of mine who's going on terminal leave (all that leave you have at the end of your enlistment goes here).
>We decide japan
>Horizontal pussy get

>We hit up a place in Tokyo called Ripongi
>Niggers everywhere (nigerians, if you want specifics
>Fuck Nigerians
>As soon as we exit the cab we start getting sharked with offers of anything you could possibly think of, mostly prostitution though.
>We decide to follow this one nigger to an apt. complex down the way a bit
>We get to the apt. and it's like a shitty apt renovated into a shittier club.
>Drinks suck but bitches be kawaii as fuck
>We throw fuck you money all over and get black out drunk
>Wake up circa 3hrs later
>I'm spraying champagne over this bitches tits
>Sudden realization that I was probably drugged
>Find friend and go to leave when a wild Mama-san appears
>"You owe us 10,000 darra!"
>ohshit.jpeg
>We ask for a cigarette and some time to think it over despite the fact that collectively we have about 50 USD between the 2 of us.
>Apartments not too high up, 2nd floor

>We decide to jump and aim for the bushes, landing hurts and both of us are still super fucked up.
>We run for a cab as fast as we can when suddenly a wild Mama-san appears!
>"YOU OWE US 10,000 DARRAAAA!" she screams at us wildly.
> We rip open a cab door, jump in and drunkenly tell him to get us to Ikebukuro near our hotel
>He speeds off leaving Mama-san in the dust
>At some point within the next 2 minutes I pass out in the cab
>MFW

All in all we got that shit free. Would spray champagne over kawaii bitches again.

Pic is proof.
Hooyah Navy
>>
>>696308230
BM? HT? Your job sounds fucking cash compared to nuke.
>>
>>696305200
I mean procurement is fucked up. OBOGS matters because with improper or contaminated oxygen supply people die.

Why are you so fascinated with procurement in a career thread? Figure out what you are really angry about.

The careers exist. If you want better value for your taxes, the workers aren't the ones to talk to and nothing they do or don't do will change fucking procurement.

Your Congresscritters, their lobbyist buddies, and the businesses who donate to them are the problem. G.I.s are not in the business of Congressional oversight.

Public oversight drives Congressional oversight, but so very few Americans do their homework (I'm one who does, they are rare even in the armed forces) that they don't know how to tell their equally ignorant Congressman what needs fixing!

Your legislators are rarely veterans. They don't know shit. They try to compensate by throwing money at problems and if that money lands in their district they buy votes.
>>
>>696308178
If I'm in dire straits, I fully intend to.
I'm super smart, built for stamina, and know how to network properly, so just about anything they throw at me I'll be able to handle. I just consider military service an absolute last resort.

I'd like to say I get along with the ass now, but I don't. I still think about just stabbing him. But he's my dad and obligated to love him, not like him.
>>
>>696308205

Your opportunities depend entirely on your unit and who is in charge.
Do you have a shitty commander anywhere up the chain? You're fucked.

Plenty of people I know do their Army job, even a second job, and ALSO do college classes. That shit is too much for me, but they exist and they are badasses.
If you have a crowded MOS, you almost have to take college classes to be competitive for promotion.
>>
>>696308405
Aegis FC

It's not bad. I just wish I did more of my job and less of everyone else's.
>>
>>696308354
I don't deal with too many rates outside of
EM (electrician's mate),
ET (electronics technician),
MM (machinist's mate),
fellow ELTs (engineering laboratory technicians),
the doc (corpsman)
and the cooks (CS's. I think their rate is culinary specialist)
>>
>>696308426
>procurement vs careers
You don't think that materiel and labor are related?

On the political side, veterans are in a unique position to fix the problem: they know what's wrong from personal experience. And you know, as well as I, that lobbyists for the defense industry are heavily to blame. So I'd say the solution starts with you, especially considering how you've benefited personally from a crooked system. And continue to benefit if you were a career man. Run for office and fix some problems. Or educate your fellow citizens on what's wrong and needs fixing.
>>
>>696308427

You have a good attitude. The military is a decent last resort, so definitely keep it in your back pocket. I won't be a negative nancy and tell you otherwise. The only people who dislike the military (at least where I am) are either SUPER unlucky and the system fucked them, or they're entitled/lazy/whiny/negative about everything even if life is going smoothly.
>>
>>696308671
Are you on a big deck or sub? I'm on a small boy so I get fucked often.
>>
>>696305296
Joining in a drawdown (don't forget all full careers include more than one!) is a great idea if you want to get promoted later because during an expansion a greater percentage of that shrunken pool make rank.

Joining in a drawdown and taking delayed enlistment to get a preferred job slot is even better because (unless it's changed) DEP give you a paydate earlier than your first day of service as a reward for waiting. Read current regulations to confirm.

The Air Force contracts out most of its painting (self-help projects excepted and those get volunteers because they are cake to do) and shitwork. The days of bleaching gravel for the unit lawn are over because Cold War manning is over.

The Army of course loves that stuff. There is a saying that there are many ways to serve. Choose wisely.
>>
>>696281203

>Army Infantry

Best times
>The brothers i served with on deployments and all the shit we got ourselves in - ill never forget those fucks

Worst times
>The daily life in garrison is pretty fucking lame and gets old quick
>Getting hit by shrapnel blows
>>
>>696281203

did my three years. i think about going back in sometimes

>be me
>no name arab village
>bunch of little shit kids start throwing rocks at my patrol
>we aren't supposed to escalate things
>bad press if we get photographed doing it
>fuck it not in the mood to deal with it today
>point gun at kid with his arm cocked back
>shout at him in bad arabic that i'm going to kill him if he throws
>kid freezes and starts bawwwing

made me feel kind of nice. putting the fear of fucking god in those little shits
>>
>>696306120
Painting is a fascinating subject. Earlier in the Cold War (long before my time) they had fucking PASTEL buildings! Pink, beige and pond scum green were common. Most are gone and none remain on active bases. You can see some on urbex blogs. Must have been a 1960s thing.

Commanders have ideas of their model base so when repaint time comes colors change.

I speculate that tan going away reflects institutional desire to forget the desert. There are few Desert Storm vets left and all are old farts. New military leadership want to pee on their own tree.

Repainting is why many pre-WWII buildings are still in service. Despite the fashionista shit, paint works.
>>
>>696309822
haha, nice
>>
>be me
>joining Marines
>stopped smoking last month on the 20th
>still can't pass a drug test to do my physical
>recruiters think I'm fucking with them

Literally don't know what to do. I've tried detox and drinking two gallons of water a day. My original recruiter is cool with me and he trusts that I'm trying to pass but they scheduled my physical for this friday and I have a terrible feeling I'm going to fail again before I even go to MEPS
>>
>>696309822

Looooool
What a dick. I like it.
>>
>>696310035
most interesting thing i read today
>>
>>696310035

I saw a lot of shit like that in Germany. Damn, I miss seeing all those ugly ass buildings on post. What a great place to live lmao
>>
>>696310132
lol detox and drinking tons of water isnt going to fix your cardio dumbass
>>
>>696310068
lucked out. sometimes its pointless. fuckers want us to kill their kids. makes us look bad. and they don't give two fucks. they get money for every dead family member that gets "martyred"

>>696310176
most other parts of the world, people are smart enough not to throw rocks at soldiers with weapons.

wish we could do natural selection a favor sometimes...
>>
>>696309027
I'd have posted a pic of my ass if I was a skimmerfag.
>>
>>696310132

Wow, you're unlucky. I only waited a couple weeks after smoking practically daily for about 3 years straight and pissed clean. If your recruiters are that cool with you, keep trying. You'll get that green shit outta your system eventually and you can make your way to being a mindless jarhead.
>>
>>696308185
I was arguing for a career force for efficiency reasons and cost effectiveness!

Why do you advocate wasting money on people when you object to wasting it on machines?

You aren't reading for comprehension at all.
>>
>>696310371

He's talking about a piss test you silly guy, you. When did he mention anything relating to cardio lmao
>>
>>696310132
it's not a question of drinking lots of water. that doesn't affect your base metabolism, which is what determines how much THC metabolites are passed out

also detox is mostly bullshit unless you're in an actual detox facility for chemical dependency. your kidneys and liver are what detoxes you and they will do things on their own schedule.
>>
Best: Blew an insurgent up with a UGL grenade.

Worst: Every moment not in battle, ergo every day since 2012 where bored seniors give junior ranks shit when they themselves are literally mentally retarded and the reason I'm leaving.
>>
>>696310810

Fucking sad. Majority of people I know getting out are leaving specifically for that reason. Toxic fucking leadership.
>>
>>696310810
>Best: Blew an insurgent up with a UGL grenade.

I would say you did the gene pool a favor, but chances are he already had four wives and five kids with each of them
>>
>>696310810
Same poster here, forgot to mention:

You're joining a peacetime army. Don't. Go and do something worthwhile; I finish in September and walk into a crane driving job where they train me and it's triple the wages I get here, less hours and I don't get treated like a subhuman piece of shit by people who actually are subhuman pieces of shit.
>>
>>696310474
I'm gonna guess that you're on a sub. I never fucking get your lingo.

Being on a sub isn't something to be proud of.. It fucking sucks.
>>
>>696310524
Do you want a career force of 1,300,000 and a billion machines we don't need?

How about a career force of 400,000 and only six hundred million machines?

Surely China and Russia won't cross the Pacific and invade California if we did that.

P.S. people are citizens with rights, investing in them with useful skills is good for everyone. Building billion dollar toys that will never be used is an exercise in waste. We might as well pay people to dump money into the ocean.
>>
I guess I have a few sea stories

Best:
Caused a radiological spill with a NRRO moniter while drawing a primary sample. Last I heard, my left shoe's still in our mixed material RAM stowage.

Worst:
We had a fire break out in our #2 Aft refrigerant unit. Spent a solid week underway on 15 minute heat-stress watch cycles. It was about day 3 when I got heat stroke, spent the next 4 hotracking with other watchstanders while I was LLD.
>>
>>696281203
Hope you like dealing with contractors

everyone is a god damn contractor. bottom feeding shit bags who work for companies that congress is only too happy to suck off for campaign contributions, and in return, literally everything they can possibly contract out to a civilian is contracted out

they'll invent fucking jobs just to pay some asshole triple or more of what they pay you to do something utterly useless, while they sing about how cost effective it is back home

it's the biggest goddamn racket and taxpayers are getting the short end of it.
>>
>>696311791
Hear hear.
>>
>>696311338
I guess. Our air conditioning is nice, our food is edible since the CO's gotta eat the same shit, but the isolation can get to you.
It's cramped, smells like amine (a combo of cat piss and cleaning chemicals), and there's only one place you're allowed to piss (doesn't stop me from using drain funnels.)
>>
>>696308906
I do educate them, Congressfucks included.

Why do you think I mention the subject?

Career troops are the way to get cost efficiency. Enlisting doesn't waste money. Those slots will be filled by someone. The NUMBER and TYPE of manning slots can be wasteful, productive or somewhere in between.

If you want to cut wasteful manning, cut wasteful programs and the manning goes away with them.

Example:
Kill F-35 and replace with evolved UAS for ground attack while keeping F-16. F-15 and F-18 in service. Those are rapidly wearing out due to high hours so build some F-22 as a stopgap to maintain air dominance, which is taken for granted until it's compromised. Fighters can stay in service for thirty years but fleet age must be managed.

Anything under a billion dollars is background noise. Go after the big ticket items because their life cycle cost is brutal and if they suck, they not only bleed taxpayers but bleed other military programs.

Cheaping out on armored vehicle production killed many troops in the Iraq war. Soft-skinned junk light trucks were known targets since before Viet Nam and we got a reminder in Somalia not to take unarmored HMMWV into urban combat.

Have fun advocating reform. You'll enjoy the homework. It's a mix of history and politics.
>>
>>696281203

>first deployment
>attached to brit Task Group
>on the Mah Duece
>muj come towards our position about 500m away, all tooled up with AK, PKM, RPG
>didn't fire, was freaking my shit as this was first time I had seen the enemy.
>vehicle took off, I got kicked in the head by my sgt for letting them get away
>They came back an hour later
>cut them in half, BDA = 7 KIA
>feelsgood.jpeg
>didn't shoot, was the new guy
>>
>>696311889
do you think that environment is carcinogenic? sure sounds like it.
>>
>turn 18
>join army
>off to iraq
>shoot anything that moves
>theyre subhuman fucking hajis, fuck em
>little shitskin probably 12 years old shooting an ak at us from a clay/mud hut
>buddy rpgs the fucker
>nothing left of the kid or the hut
>kek
>just finished jerking off at chuville
>stupid paki is rolling up
>STOP YOU STUPID FUCK
>keeps coming
>warning shot fired
>keeps coming
>light the fucker up
>heded
>out on patrol
>buddys taxi hits an IED
>shit gets hot, I don't care, gotta get my homie
>tried to collect him while he was in pieces
>nco had to state the obvious... he's fuckin dead
>i agree
>360 the fuck out of there
>get back later... take the rest of buddys carton of smokes
>fuckin hajis
>come home when im 26
>we elect a fucking haji as president
>can't find a job
>can't fucking sleep
>can't close my eyes without seeing the shit I did to people over there
>start to kek because I did god's work
>god bless america
vote trump you niggers
>>
>>696312079

you had me until you started again with shit like this

>maintain air dominance

against who? for what?

gives me a scenario in which our lack of air dominance leads to another country starting a war against us that we can't win. Russia, China, or a European country will attack us because their planes are better?

Do you truly believe this madness?
>>
>>696312154
Amine's not good for you, but I think my dose is going to be more likely to give me cancer than anything else. I've already got a solid REM, most people don't top 200 mREM in their career.
>>
>>696311364
>How about a career force of 400,000 and only six hundred million machines?

Works for me. I never advocated a BLOATED career force.

However Washington needs to shrink active duty missions to pull off a much more serious drawdown, and I think Hillary has other plans. She is NeoCon as they get and may as well be Bush II in a skirt.
>>
>>696312327

top kek meng

Baghdad, my fave city
>>
>>696312486
Obama was [Drone Warfare expansion pack] for Bush and Hillary is Bush II

Trump is Angry Birds
>>
>>696311791
>it's the biggest goddamn racket and taxpayers are getting the short end of it.

The reason for that racket is contractors don't show as active duty troops. Shadow Company is worth watching on Youtube.
>>
>>696311889
I work in a very cold space so I don't really ever have to deal with the heat unless I'm topside or down in an engineering space to work on my cooling skid. Our food sucks ass because the CS's are autistic (really, who puts cinnamon in spaghetti). I get the smell of cat piss, I always said that one of my spaces smelled that way. The LS's don't like handing out cleaning material because "you guys keep on asking for more."
>>
>>696312154
>do you think that environment is carcinogenic? sure sounds like it.

Read MSDS on everything and keep records of your exposure. Get anything you can into your med records, quietly....
>>
DEPr here for AF. Anyone wanna answer some questions?
>>
>>696312886
Only cold spaces on the boat I've been to are Nucleonics, Maneuvering, Conn, the fridge/morgue, and Sonar. Everywhere else is generally around 75-90 depending on how much steam piping we have there.
>>
>>696313085
You're a pussy and enjoy not being able to rank up.
>>
>>696313253
I couldn't care either way really. I "start" as an E-3 but don't think it'll really be to different. Tell me about all the shit I gotta know
>>
>>696313147
>fridge/morgue

lold, nice double duty
>>
>>696313147
I'm on a small boy so there isn't much to air condition. All my equipment is sensitive and overheats so my spaces are supposed to stay at around 50 degrees constantly.
>>
>>696313572
We've got a joke about it too:
"Why was the electrician in the freezer?"
>because he got electrocuted
Lessons learned: tag out your shit before you work on it. The boat wants to kill you, and she will.
>>
>>696313423
That's how they get you. I got an automatic promotion to "e2" and then automatic "e4". It's not actually anything special. It's just what they tell you to make it feel like you're getting a good deal. I'm not in the AF. I just have some buddies in it who are stuck at the same rank.
>>
>>696313666
Sonar's pretty much the only sensitive shit we have. I've personally seen one of the RCPs take a danger-nut like a champ.
>>
>>696313423
>>696313978
If you think you're getting a good deal, it means you're getting fucked in the ass by a cactus.
>>
>In Airforce
>Walking to cafeteria
>Hat cocked to the side
>Two other guys see me and say "Straighten that hat, faggot"
>Tell them we could bring it to behind the building
>They run off
>Get dispatched next day.

military is full of fucking bitch ass faggots.
>>
>>696313978
Damn. I signed on for engine maintenance, but we'll see I guess. My aunt just retired as E-8 and said it didn't sound to bad (maybe she's fucking wit me)
>>
>>696312364
You misunderstand "air dominance". What that means is NOT some global dickwaving nuclear deterrent but being able to protect any force we field from air attack because even obsolete aircraft can kill a shitload of troops.

If you don't control all the air over even a "small war' battlefield and enemy air gets in, you can lose the battle and a lot of people because modern weapons are so effective. Standoff weapons mean one needs to clear very large areas of enemy aircraft, UAS, and cruise missiles. It's not like some WWII movie where the hero shoots down an enemy bird just before it strafes a beach. One MIG loaded with conventional missiles can sink a large ship from a long distance.

Air dominance also means freedom of operation over enemy areas to suppress enemy missiles, artillery, ground operations, and now UAS. Drones can reveal your position and large ones attack it. Any drone can be a kamikaze.

You seem to have a hair trigger on the subject. It's fine to ask for clarification instead of jumping to conclusions.
>>
>>696313085
What ya got?
>>
>>696312327
>on deployment for 8 years

I will take things that never happened for 100
>>
>>696314628
>global dickwaving nuclear deterrence
That's what we do on boomers
15 turns, punch holes in the water for 3 months
>>
I stupidly joined and lied about my history with depression anxiety and medication for the two. Had to leave right before I shipped when I did the research and found the major shit I could get into if they found out I lied, ironic because I joined to help my depression and better my life. My advice would be to do all your research before joining to avoid being an idiot like me
>>
>>696314701
If my recruiter stops talking to me, should I just go to the base and see what's up? And how long can I expect to be waiting to ship for BMT? ( I was told sometime after Christmas, Ohio/Michigan area if that helps)
>>
>>696313423
Relax, think, remember Basic is designed to make Airmen capable of repeated, precise task performance.

What jobs/AFSCs are you trying for?
>>
>>696314925
jet engine maintanence/mechanic.
>>
>>696314701
Also, my mom forced me to take ADHD medication when I was about 10, I'm 19 now. (Haven't tooken it since) Will they find out st BMT?
>>
>went to meps for AF in June of last year
>still waiting for boot camp
>got my #1 AFSC tho
>>
>>696314898
Funny enough, my recruiter stopped talking to me for 3 months then got reassigned. Had to call that nigga's Master SGT
>>
>>696315142
nope. there aint shit they can do to find out unless you tell them. i was forced to take ADD medicine at 16 and went to meps at 17. they never knew
>>
>>696315439
Damn. I was talking about getting my USID and he said wait one week and it's been a while with no reply.
>>
>>696315530
Good. I know recruiters like to bend the truth on things, and at MEPS they were trying pretty hard to weed anyone out hiding things. Just wouldn't want to get in any trouble for something dumb.
>>
>>696315566
Go to the cunt's office. That could help, unless yours is like mine. He had electronic locks on his doors and one way windows. if he didnt want to see you, you werent gonna see him
>>
File: 1468909138123.png (455KB, 768x768px) Image search: [Google]
1468909138123.png
455KB, 768x768px
>>696285603
active Marinefag here siempre gumby and shit. anon speaks the truth, I came in being hopeful now I'm just mad and annoyed constantly.
>>
What's the best course of action for someone who wants to become an officer of the Marine Corps but wants to go to college first?
>>
>>696314363
I was engines before they combined flightline engines and crew chief. If you are a gearhead it's an interesting job. I enjoyed it. Your aunt knows the score.

Don't sweat leisurely initial promotions. Promotions are faster in other services because people hate and GTFO the other services! Every promotion is because the cat in that slot moved up or got out.

You can make rank if you hustle. Play the game and fill the squares on your EPR for community involvement, stay in shape (easy enough) and the key thing for a motor troop is be the best technician you can.

Take some CCAF courses and get the degree EARLY. It benefits your career and many great motor troops make the mistake of not going to school so you will get promoted quicker.

The advantage of being good with engines is you are valuable, listened to and respected. Have an appetite for wrenching and after you get your 5 level don't be shy about cross-utilization training. The more ya know the more good TDYs you can get.
>>
>>696281203
>join army
>literally all my limbs are blown off
>can't even masturbate now.
>no wife to fuck me
>turn on TV...
>see replublicans be assholes for pointless wars
>Fuck army.
>>
>>696315735
Youre all good, man. Just learn to be okay with bending the truth, as well. If they find something, just be like "oh, ive never heard of that."
shit like that
>>
>>696315780
The office where all the Tsgt are is locked off so probably wouldn't be able to get in. I'll go tomorrow and see
>>
>>696287631
my sides are in orbit doc!!!!
>>
>>696315786
how're those new job titles being received?
>>
>have wife
>Join military
>wife waits for me
>get letter from wife
>wife is leaving me
>fucking my best friend
>Come back from military
>they have a baby.
>fuck military
>>
>>696315883
you can go through officer programs and go to college first then go to OCS
>>
>>696315910
Thanks! I worked on car engines a bit and thought it be pretty interesting . I plan on starting school ASAP since I'm still young.
>>
>>696315932
Good luck nigga. Hope you dont get fucked like me
>>
>>696316223
Thanks; and you too.
>>
>>696284608
Wrong. Don't believe you're a Marine. We have toughest tattoo policies, hair regulations, you're considered guilty until proven innocent in almost any incident you may find yourself in. Maybe you served a while ago but active duty here out in Yuma and that's the farthest thing from the truth
>>
>>696281203
2 years later, I'm still having a very hard time adjusting to civilian life. I wasn't even deployed. I hated being in, but I've been unhappy since I've gotten out. Culture shock was a hard thing to overcome. I would recommend picking a branch other than the Marines.
>>
File: image.jpg (68KB, 716x712px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68KB, 716x712px
>>696285603
Amen brother.
>>
>>696314898
If you are on DEP I'd chill and wait, but drop in now and then to see wazzup.

You are fortunate to have to wait, and this is why:

"The DIEMS for members who enlisted under the delayed entry program is when they entered the delayed entry program, not when they initially reported for duty."

http://militarypay.defense.gov/Pay/Retirement.aspx

That's more money throughout your career, and you are safely locked into the high-36 retirement calculator.

I know that isn't interesting when you are new and eager to get started, but it will be.

Non-shit NCOs and SNCOs are happy to give career advice, so after you get settled into your first duty station pick some brains. It impresses them to know you think ahead.
>>
>>696292418
You have never smoked weed before. Not once. Say that and you'll be fine
>>
>>696316785
Can you rephrase that? I've been in the DEP for well over a year now. What does this mean for me?
>>
>2016
>people still falling for this military meme
>>
>>696286799
kek
>>
>>696316785
Thanks for the info!
>>
>>696315927
>can't masturbate
>still comes to this shithole

I don't think your problem is due to the Army, anon.
>>
File: 07-23-16.jpg (486KB, 2880x1920px) Image search: [Google]
07-23-16.jpg
486KB, 2880x1920px
It's nothing exiting actually.
unless you want to kill poorly armed poorly trained malnourished Muslims trying to get their land back. then I urge you to join.

I'm gonna quit next year.

t. sailor
>>
>>696316143
>Thanks! I worked on car engines a bit and thought it be pretty interesting

Good call on your part. You will be set because you won't have to learn basic hand tool usage in tech school. The training is excellent. If you can get into engine back shop early in your career you will learn more so keep that in mind.

Test cell is interesting too, and back shop mans that.

If you can get into engines on airlifters that's a good route to working on jets after you retire. I worked fighters and enjoyed it but the average life of an airlift airframe or tanker is decades longer than a fighter so programs last longer. There are plenty of fighter engine program guys though.

I had a C-130 engine AFETS guy at Pope who worked C-130s since the 1950s, doing a full USAF career then hiring on with AFETS. You will deal with AFETS and they are an absolute fucking information goldmine. Most engine mechs don't take advantage of them enough. When you make SRA or SSgt. is when to chat them up.

Enjoy your career. The Air Force was the best move of my life and retiring means I don't have to work for the last third of my life except when I want to.
>>
File: 1460985178008s.jpg (12KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1460985178008s.jpg
12KB, 250x250px
>be young poole
>blindly join the marine corp wanting to "travel" and kill some haji's
>Go Division side Combat Engineer fuck yeah!
>be in for 3 years and all i have done is shoot at invisible people and tell 20 year old men how to be men....
>>
>>696317084
>Can you rephrase that? I've been in the DEP for well over a year now. What does this mean for me?

It means that your "pay date" as far as the military is concerned began when you signed up for DEP. That means all pay increases tied to TIME IN SERVICE remain based on that date, not the date you go to Basic.

Look at the grayed left column. Those pay bumps are based on DIEMS date. If you meander through the ranks vs DIEMS date you'll get the idea. Keep in mind those charts don't reflect yearly overall military pay raises. The money is considerable.

http://www.militaryfactory.com/military_pay_scale.asp
>>
>>696318822
fuuuuck yes. thank you for this, anon
Thread posts: 301
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.