[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking for a good space movie. Watched interstellar recently

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 12

File: interstellar-3840x2160.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
interstellar-3840x2160.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
Looking for a good space movie. Watched interstellar recently and it got me in the mood. Something with a lot of science involved. Already seen Event Horizon, Moon, Red Planet, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Gravity, and Mission to Mars. I'm sure with the list I have you can gauge the kind of thing I'm looking for.

Help me out /b/?
>>
>>607039208
Bump. Come on guys.
>>
I suggest you Sunshine (2007)
>>
Sunshine (2007)
Apollo 18 (2011)
>>
I looked up sunshine. Got some real low ratings man. Is it worth it?
>>
>>607039208
Solaris
Doctor Who (many episode would suffice, but specially the special 'The Waters of Mars'
>>
Titan A.E.
>>
>>607040724
Great movie, but it's more about adventure than the science of it. Love that movie, need to watch it again.
>>607040667
I've heard really good stuff about Dr. Who but the first episode I watched seemed kinda dumb.
>>
The Last Days on Mars

Liev Schreiber at it's best!
>>
Prometheus was good, did not like Alien that much.
>>
>>607040855
Which episode of Dr Who did you watch? There are some pretty bad ones intermixed with some fantastic ones
>>
last days on mars

sunshine

gravity
>>
>>607040444
7,3 on imdb low?
>>
>>607041590
The pilot of the first season.
>>
>>607040444
Just watch it you cunt it's the best god damn space movie ever man nigga fuck those ratings.
>>
File: 1404543035259.jpg (1MB, 1920x1594px) Image search: [Google]
1404543035259.jpg
1MB, 1920x1594px
>>607039208
Thor.
>>
>>607039208
Sunshine is pretty great
>>
Silent Running
>>
13th floor is great
>>
>>607039208
might check cargo as well
>>
>>607039208
>>607043386
Okay just kidding but you should watch all 13 episodes of 1980's Cosmos. Narrated by Carl Motherfucking Sagan.
>>
>>607039208
>>
>>607039208
>good space movies
>mentions event horizon and red planet and mission to mars
wtf OP

Moon, 2001 are at least very good. Gravity is kinda not too bad but certainly not good either.
>>
>>607039208
Moon
Event horizon
>>
Dont know sci fi movies put the tv show stargate atlantis and sgu are good.
>>
Oh I thought ELYSIUM was pretty good.

MATTTT DAMONNNNNNNN.
>>
>>607043187
I assume you mean the revived series, not the original one. But it gets better. It gets way better. I was kinda meh until the Dalek episode.
>>
>>607043838
>sga
>good
lol no

>>607043853
It's not too shabby and had potential, but they fucking ruined it at the end.
>>
>>607039208
I came here to suggest Sunshine (2007). Judging by the number of people who beat me to it, you better already be downloading it.
>>
Ender's Game was a nice treat. Kind of like reading a Harry Potter book and then watching the movie for it afterwards.
>>
Enemy Mine

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0089092/
>>
>>607043808
Moon was a pleasant watch, I only mentioned it because I figured it would get mentioned here. Red planet was a fun story and had science elements in it, I don't see too much of the problem other than it had excessive person-to-person drama more than other aspects.
>>
>>607043992
Ender's Game was a steaming pile of horse shit compared to the book.
>>
I feel like every fucking movie is ruined at the end. I mean that's like most of what everyone who watches movies agrees on too. What the fuck are these writers even doing?

Any good space movies have a great fucking ending?
>>
>>607043983
Already got it up on putlocker, kinda /thread

>>607044081
Seen it.
>>
The Machine
There was a couple of sci-fi movies directed by a Japanese guy recommended on /tv/ a week ago in an interstellar thread. Both movies had ruffly the same name but one was an abbreviation of the other if i remember correctly. Any help?
>>
>>607044081
Hmm, will watch.

>>607039208
Not particularly good, but quite decent: Operation Outland (or just Outland).

Then of course Alien I and maybe II (III and IV just sucked balls, don't even consider them).
>>
>>607040181
>>607040181
>>607040181
>>607040181
this op fucking do it
>>
>>607044173
Interstellar really got me wet at the ending. Things kinda worked out. Titan AE, if you consider it in the genre, did the same. Other than that I think you're right.
>>
Do not watch moon

You'll waste your time watching horrible acting and shitty story

Moon is a overly-hyped movie

Get Cloud Atlas instead
>>
>>607040444
its the shit nigger the reeeeeeel shit its fucking so good
>>
>>607044107
Maybe I'm mistaken, but isn't red planet the one with Val Kilmer and those super-explosive, flesh eating bug/algae things?
>>
Space Battleship Yamoto was weirdly entertaining, if you can tolerate subtitles.
>>
>>607039208
check out Europa Report, The Signal (2014), Cargo (2009)
>>
I even though it wasnt great watched apollo 18 had a interesting premise, that was based off a conspiracy on why we haven't gone back and whatnot
>>
>>607044301
I liked Moon, but definitively watch Cloud Atlas. Seeing Hugo Weaving as a bad nurse and Tom Hanks as an Irish/Scottish thug was priceless. Not a space movie though.
>>
File: 1425887256519.jpg (74KB, 800x609px) Image search: [Google]
1425887256519.jpg
74KB, 800x609px
K-PAX is a great movie

Its set on earth, but an alien visits and tells us the way.

Good movie / 10
>>
the abyss?
>>
>>607044348
The Signal was trippy. Decent, despite being a little slow in the beginning.
>>
>>607044355
I watched it too. It was mildly entertaining. Concept was good, but they completely ruined it after a while.

>>607044490
>Its set on earth, but an alien visits and tells us the way.
The thing is, we don't know if it is an alien or not. Brilliant movie though, the flash back scene really hit me right in the feels. Kevin Spacey is really, really good.
>>
pandorum?
>>
>>607044316
Yeah. The technical science on that was pretty blech, but I'm not super picky. Watched it when I was young, again when I was older. It's okay stuff.
>>
>>607044443
Well sorta kinda space movie in the end... middle... end... begging... I have no idea what's going on... then the end again
>>
Contact?
>>
>>607043187
Oh yeah, supid as fuck.

>The Impossible Planet + The Satan Pit
>The Empty Child + The Doctor Dances
>Rise of The Cyberman + The Age of Steel + Army of Ghosts + Doomday
>42
>Blink
>Utopia+The Sound of Drums + The Last of the Time Lords
> The Sontaran Stratagem + The Poison Sky
> Silence in the Library + Forest of the Dead
> Waters of Mars
> The End of Time 1 and 2

Honestly the best ones with the strongest stories without being overly sappy or catering to the kiddiwinks. The trade off is fairly poor CGI and practical effects.

Personally I've chosen the ones with a horror element in the list. My favourite 2 being the Impossible Planet and the Satan Pit.
>>
Dumping some god tier sci fis

Per Aspera Ad Astra 1981

The Witches Cave 1989

The Andromeda Nebula 1967
>>
Total recall
>>
File: 1427734881036.png (69KB, 618x618px) Image search: [Google]
1427734881036.png
69KB, 618x618px
>>607040444
>>
>>607044771
Yeah, that's pretty much what I felt too.

>>607044733
I remember I thought it was pretty good, but in retrospect it's too much like the Abyss.

>>607044756
It was entertaining though.
>>
>>607043588
>Silent Running

None of you have seen this?

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0067756/
>>
Solaris (the original one, not the Clooney bullshit) is really, really good if you can endure subtitles.
>>
Heavy Metal
http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0082509/

"Stupid bitch! It's my Loc Nar"
>>
The revived Battlestar Gallactica series is brilliant, except for the sound in space thing. It's the only realistic space ship bridge.
>>
>>607044963
I liked cloud Atlas based on me having this thing where I love short stories (especially horror, I usually get my fix by re-reading manga likes "flesh colored horror" , "horror mansion", and "collapse of the world as we know it" the last one is extremely graphic) but I occasionally go to youtube and watch short films and twhile there is an endless onslaught of shit and trash there is occasionally short films that have a space element to them that really do great job of telling a story in 4-12mins. yes, 12 minutes is a lil long for a short story but sometimes it helps build the atmosphere of the video
>>
Logan's run
>>
>>607045481
Absolutely amazing show. Though I felt it went downhill a little bit in the last season or so.

Stargate is also pretty good. Found Stargate Universe to be the most 'mature' one so to speak.
>>
>>607044186
This guys knows the score,
The Machine & Sunshine are the pick of the bunch OP. All i wanted the whole time was for him to fuck the shit out of that naked cyborg.

Everyone recommending movies that OP has already stated he has watched please die.
>>
File: 1427692601409.gif (2MB, 400x224px) Image search: [Google]
1427692601409.gif
2MB, 400x224px
>>607045579
Fuuuuck I keep forgetting to watch that
>>
>>607045555
Yeah, I really loved it.

What I especially loved was how different each story was. I mean, a comical escape from the retirement home, mixed with futuristic sci-fi gadgets and cannibals (fucking Hugh Grant as a cannibal), with fast-paced kung fu action with a crime mystery set in the 1960s and a love story about impossible love. I mean, it was really really brilliant.
>>
>>607045594
I still have half of the last season remaining (and I've seen none of the spinoffs, but I don't think I will though).

Yeah, I watched about half of SG-1 back when it went on TV, and recently started watching Atlantis on Netflix. Atlantis is okay, but they're really not living up to their potential. I think I'll watch SGU after Atlantis, as I hear it's really good as well.

Of course, speaking of good sci-fi shows, Firefly+the movie is really good.
>>
>>607040444
>Watched Event Horizon
>claims Sunshine has too low a rating
>>
>>607046127
This
>>
>>607045481
I hated Starbuck. Especially when she was crying and whining like a little bitch having a tantrum on the floor, "you're going the wrong way". Fucking wanted to punch her in the face.
>>
>>607045414

>Heavy Metal
>space movie
>with science involved

Nigga, are you high?
HM is a very good movie, but neither space, nor science themed.
>>
Watch Sunshine, Pandorum, Moon
>>
It gets a lot of shit, but 2010 is a really good follow up in my opinion.
>>
>>607045863
Right! then the escape from the retirement home in the future is seen as a heroic escape got me good. Also all the ppl dieing helped it not to be too chickflix

Inb4 I'm a dumb cunt for not recommending Pandorum possible one of my favorite scifi space movies I ever seen
>>
>>607044167
Like every book to film adaptation
>>
>>607046100
I'm about to start Firefly funnily enough. Atlantis does get better though, sort of settling into a more comfortable groove. It still stays outlandish, silly and visually gaudy - but becomes its own beast.
>>
>>607046219
Didn't like her too much myself, but seriously the actor who plays Boomer is the worst. Talk about only having a single facial expression.

Loved Tigh though, I love anti-heros who do what's right (at least given the current information) even though it's unpopular.

Kinda confused me with the Callie+Chief thing though. I though the Helo and Boomer-kid was special as it was the only Cylon-Human hybrid. Maybe it's explained in the remaining half of the season, I dunno. Gotta download it, they removed it from Netflix in my country.
>>
>>607046219
Everyone did by the end of it.
>>
File: 1400762994851.jpg (73KB, 960x652px) Image search: [Google]
1400762994851.jpg
73KB, 960x652px
Dead Star (funny, cool)
Sunshine (amazing!)
Cargo (amazing visuals)
5th Element (no comment needed)
Alien 1-4 and Prometheus (great classics)
Moonraker (hilarious)
Dark City (mindbending)
Event Horizon (funny action horror)
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (could be better but still...)
Gattaca (them eugenics)
Barbarella (them vintage boobs)

also check out Riddick if youre into action
>>
>>607044777
All of my yes. Also, I checked your trips
>>
>>607046127
>>607046127
Why everyone hating on Event Horizon. I thought it was dope. A rare horror flick where the people aren't complete fucking retards. You're a nigger that probably thinks "The Mist" is good, with the whole "You just cut off a tentacle, but I think you're just messing with me. Going outside now derp derp derp" bullshit.
>>
>>607046445
SPOILER, turns out Callie was fucking around and it wasn't Chiefs kid.
>>
>>607046414
I read Jarassic Park and watched the movie while the acting of the time wasn't the best (nor is it now) it was still a bad ass movie

I'm excited to see Jarassic World no matter how stupud some of the clips look
>>
>>607046432
Well, have about one and a half season left of Atlantis. I think they fucked up with the Ancient-replicator storyline, and they always introduce stuff mid-season that are crucial to the season finale which gets sort of tiring.

>oh hey, I didn't mention for the last 4 seasons that I had a boyfriend among the athosians, but hey I do and now I'm pregnant

What I like though, are the early encounters with the wraith and how they are really alien compared to the humans and how they don't talk alot because they are superior and don't have to explain shit. However, it kinda bugs me that they are telepathic but seem to yell orders to eachother instead of just communicating telepathically (something they can do across vast distances in space apparently).
>>
>>607046629
Oh, makes sense.
>>
>>607039208
Hey anon this is my favorite genre too, some good movies have already been suggested I'll try to fill:

Alien
Europa Report
The fifth element
Moon
Sunshine
Contact
The right stuff
Apollo 13

sc-fi without space but that you might like:
cube
i origins
lucy
the man from earth
coherence
the abyss
Primer
>>
>>607046258
>HM is a very good movie, but neither space, nor science themed.

Are you nuts? There was hardly any part of that movie that WASN'T set in space or on some alien planet. The Loc Nar itself was hurtling through space.

I think it's perhaps been too long since you've seen it.
>>
>>607040855
Doctor who is absolutely fucking shit. Sorry dr who bros but it really is low budget low rate crap and that's from a Brit. I do not understand how it is popular. Beyond trash, cheesy, poorly acted, crap effects, crap stories.
>>
>>607046806
Yeah agreed. My main criticism was the lack of foresight but also the lack of character death. Seriously, by the end of it all there's so few dead characters that the whole saga felt like a field trip. It's stupid.
>>
>>607047049
It's poorly acted now with crappy stories that are always cheesy.

I can appreciate that the early series with Eccelson and David Tennant had some extremely well written episodes that were compemented by their good acting to produce a great atmosphere of suspense. Others were, and are, absolute trash - I fully agree.
>>
I cant remember the name but it isnt directly a space movie but it does have aliens. Help me remember the name please I I know you guys had to have seen it.

Starts off with some hillbillys trying to capture something in the middle of the forest only to find out they are catching an alien and you cant look into its eyes or it can control you with their physic powers they drive to their firends fortified bumfuck notwhere house with the alien and shit starts happening.

I saw it like 3yrs ago on Netflix and cant remember the fucking name
>>
>>607039208
Space Oddysey 2010 - a sequel better than 2001.
>>
>>607047049
>Doctor who is absolutely fucking shit. Sorry dr who bros but it really is low budget low rate crap and that's from a Brit. I do not understand how it is popular. Beyond trash, cheesy, poorly acted, crap effects, crap stories.

Longest-running sci-fi series of all time.
That carries a good deal more weight than your opinion.
>>
>>607046859
I really, really like this list.
>>
>>607047317
It bears little resemblance to the Doctor Who of old. So little that the modern series is considered separate, and started from Series 1 all over.
>>
>>607047199
RTD will always be better than fucking Moffat. I mean, RTD was even offered to write for George Lucas and the clone wars. Moffat worked well as a single-episode writer, but for running the show he is just shit.

Eccleston is the only good doctor IMO.
>>
Anyone ever watched Space: Above and Beyond?
Kickass has random eps scattered but I couldn't find a consolidated season.
>>
>>607047668
>Anyone ever watched Space: Above and Beyond?

I liked that show in the first season. Second season they started messing around with psychic powers and it turned to shit (and was deservedly canceled).
>>
>>607047317
>friends is the best comedy ever because it was on for a long time
>coronation street best drama ever

C'mon dude. At least I gave my reasons.
>>
>>607047914
Oh and I recommend contact as another just did. It gets closest to the high aspirations of interstellar of any named yet.
>>
>>607047199
I really hate that Capaldi is being given this garbage scripts as the doctor I hope it doesnt ruin his career. I was excited to see he was going to be the next doctor then all I see is this liberal garbage bull shit. We were forced to choke down on matt smith's brand of horse shit. Now they give Capaldi (who would be my favorite doctor, also it may have been a minor roll but come on John Fucking Hurt was the War Doctor fucking awesome) all this tree hugging garbage as the main focus and all that trash with the whole Danny Pink thing the other main focus. That being said the episode about the beings from the 2nd dimension was the only really good one so far from the ones Capaldi has been on.
>>
>>607047559
>Moffat worked well as a single-episode writer
>Eccleston is the only good doctor IMO

Both true. He wrote some cracker episodes earlier on, but his idea of a series plotline is just terrible. The he started writing just gobshit for the tumblr fandoms.

Though I did like tennant, he was the right balance between serious and light hearted.
>>
>>607048086
>John Fucking Hurt was the War Doctor fucking awesome
Am I the only one who didn't like this retconn? I mean Moffat basically ruined the entire Last Great Timewar thing that RTD had built up, and the entire premise for Eccleston's doctor with it.
>>
SERENITY

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serenity_%28film%29

Is the continuation of Firefly

pretty cool if you ask me
>>
>>607048280
It's a lot better if you watch all of firefly first though.
>>
>>607047914
>C'mon dude. At least I gave my reasons.

Fair enough. Doctor Who (particularly the pre-2005 series) DID have a shit budget which resulted in crap effects. However, you are absolutely wrong about the stories. They were, and continue to be, the reason this show has survived as long as it has. The vast majority of the stories have been, at a minimum, pretty good. Any problems that people have with the acting tend to result from the BBC's desire that the show be targeted at younger audiences despite the fact that the actual audience tended to be much older. The characters and the writing more than made up for the lack of a production budget.
>>
>>607048086
Yep. Matt Smith was a fucking joke - his serious face looked like mummy hadn't given him his treat, and the plots were shitty G rated family hour stories where nobody dies. Capaldi looks to be continuing that trend, despite us knowing that he can play the best 'grumpy cunt' with roles in Skins and The Thick of It. But nah, he's just some lobotomised character without strong emotions.

And I can't believe they didn't do more with John Hurt. Biggest fucking disappointment seeing him being used like a kleenex.
>>
>>607048474
No, the stories drastically changed with Matt Smith. they now pander to family dinnertime TV and are absolute, two dimensional garbage.
>>
File: 220px-Spacetruckersposter.jpg (24KB, 220x312px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Spacetruckersposter.jpg
24KB, 220x312px
>>607039208
Pretty awesome space movie.
>>
>>607048565
>No, the stories drastically changed with Matt Smith. they now pander to family dinnertime TV and are absolute, two dimensional garbage.

Am I the only one who watched the whole "Demon's Run" arc where Matt Smith basically became the angel of death?
>>
>>607039208
I know it's been mentioned, but if you haven't already seen Fifth Element you're in for a super green treat.
>>
>>607048242
Yeah I'll give ya that it got outta hand, I like John Hurt though he's an amazing actor, in my usually shitty opinion. But you know part of all that mixed up shit was because Eccleston didn't want to be the War Doctor the srcipt was actually overhauled because of this. While it would have had a similar plot Eccleston turning down the role meant they had to change shit he didn't even want to appear in the episode AT ALL.

I can't blame him though, it wasn't going to be that good no matter what, and I think part of the reason a lot of male who fans are happy with it is cuz matt smith isnt thw doctor anymore. sidenote personally I really enjoyed the original season 1 of DW in it's black and white glory
>>
>>607048896

Fifth Element pissed me off. Love? Seriously??? It's love??? Go wax your vagina, Luc Besson!
>>
File: Contact_ver2.jpg (51KB, 270x400px) Image search: [Google]
Contact_ver2.jpg
51KB, 270x400px
>>607039208
Watch contact
>>
File: solaris-bild1.jpg (1005KB, 1941x1836px) Image search: [Google]
solaris-bild1.jpg
1005KB, 1941x1836px
>>607045314
- this so much.
some laughable overweight middle aged spacemen and tacky russian space-stations in it, but it's very good.
if you like your sci-fi loyal to it's source material, arty, and weird this'll be right up your street.
even the george clooney one isn't terrible, but it's not a scratch on the original. read the book too, it's one of my favourite books of all time.

- space odyssey 2010 is pretty underrated and more accessible than it's predecessor

- sunshine is great until it turns into a slasher flick towards the end

- dark star. john carpenter does a sci fi early in his career and it's weird and awesome

think just about every other good space film has been mentioned in this thread. you'll be good for a while OP
>>
>>607048476
I keked so hard at 'grumpy cunt' my dog looked at my like I was fucking crazy. I was pissed off I thought they were gunna do a mini series Or atlwast 2-3 episodes but No. "Hurr durr lets waist his talents like a some of dumb cunts"

>>607049177
spoken like a nigger who l's never watched Captin Planet

Btw the fifth element was pussy remember the very end? Douche Willis, living hard or dick trying in Lilu.
>>
>>607049177
*spoilers*

Told her he loved her to get her to give it up...
>>
>>607043805
>Moon
This.....and Sunshine
>>
>>607049532
>spoken like a nigger who l's never watched Captin Planet

Captain Planet was shit. All the cool kids were watching Bravestarr and Silverhawks.
>>
>>607048848
What when all I noticed was him being a white nigger trying to save all the other niggers
>>
File: gottawinendine.png (514KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
gottawinendine.png
514KB, 1280x720px
>>607049559
>>
>>607045043
I have seen it and although I have a high tolerance for dry sci-fi I thought it utterly sucked balls and not in a pleasant way.

The Thing is lightyears better, same era of sci-fi, even has the same actor in it that has the leas in Silent Running
>>
>>607049532
Fuck you nigger TRANSFORMERS and DINOSAUCERS!!!! (Keeping in spaceish related theme) Never said I liked the show but you had to have seen it a few times while NOTHING else worth a damn was on.
>>
Dune (2000, miniseries)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0142032/
>>
>>607046859
>>607047332

Yeah second this.

especially primer: excellent!

It lacks Cloud Atlas and Interstellar to make it a more complete list.
Thread posts: 128
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.