[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How smart are you /b/?? Without googling the answer, describe

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 256
Thread images: 24

File: Holey blackness.jpg (578KB, 4400x2475px) Image search: [Google]
Holey blackness.jpg
578KB, 4400x2475px
How smart are you /b/??
Without googling the answer, describe what a black hole is..
Bonus points if you can explain how we can time travel through one
inb4 you're a bunch of morons.
>>
Your moms asshole
>2ez
>>
>>595572365
/thread
>>
having knowledge on one particular subject doesn't make you smart.
>>
>>595572274
also, the theoretical ability to travel through a black hole has been proven to be impossible.
>>
>>595572274
Infinitely dense point in space, from which not even light can escape once it passes the event horizon.

Fucking plebs.
>>
>>
>>595572274
I'm not doing your homework for you, nerd.
>>
>>595572274
black holes are a visible distortion caused by inconsistancies in the universal constants such as gravity and light.

i.e. time is not the same here as it is in a different galaxy or on the other side of the milky way, it could move slightly faster or slower. same for gravity and possibly even the relative size of molecules.

thats my idea
>>
>>595572274
Black hole is compressed, compounding matter. And time traveling through anything literally makes no sense unless you want to time travel through

.. wait for it..

Time
>>
>>595572819
math says you are a moron
>>
a place where gravity is so high light can't escape from it. And time is determined by speed and gravity, if u increase the gravity time passes faster, just as it dose if u travel really fast. If you would to enter a black hole and escape alive u would technically traveled in time cuz everyone else would have aged faster than you.

might be wrong on some parts, thats what i remember on the top of my head.
>>
an amount of mass so high that its gravitational force after the event horizon is stronger than anything trying to get out. also timetravel lol
>>
>>595572274
>time travel through one
you go first. 20 million degrees isn't too much.
>>
>>595572274

something about gravity that sucks in matter and destroys it
>>
Good for you, OP, finally watching Interstellar...
>>
>>595572274
no time travel but...

a black hole is an area of space in which the universe is no longer expanding. think of a balloon you're blowing up while you keep your finger in one spot. gravity is related to expansion of universe indirectly, so denser things don't expand as fast - what we think of as movement - and therefore have more gravity
>>
>>595572274
It's where a an African American shits from. Dumbass
>>
>>595573719
the point is that the "center" of the black hole is a point in what we perceive as the timeline when to when it stopped expanding. but since the rest of the universe is expanding around the black hole there's no real way for us to get to any other "space" in that "time" but that exact spot where the black hole's center is.
>>
A black hole is the event horizon of a singularity caused by a large mass collapsing to a sphere with a radius less than the Schwartzshield radius. (No Googling allowed, so I'm 90% sure I fucked up the spelling there.) Conventional wisdom is that light cannot escape, though the energy of the vacuum is thought to cause spontaneous pair production/annihilation, which could lead to very slight radiative losses in mass if one of the particles is lost to the black hole. A black hole does not have an "other side" so time travel through one is impossible, though travelling in close proximity to one will cause time dilation effects which are similar to those caused by travelling at close to the speed of light relative to some other reference frame.
>>
>>595572274
LOL
you post a picture of a fictional black hole.
what a loser
>>
>>595572274
A singularity.
>>
>>595574052
light doesn't "escape" only because time is not really happening in there since there's no expansion.
>>
eh, don't know much about it but I think it is something like this

lim ( V -> 0 ) [ m / V ]
>>
a black hole is a massive celestial object with incredible amounts of gravity and consists of a horizon, and (some german sounding word) radius. it grows off of objects around it as it pulls them in, it's created at the end of the life of a massive star and when you enter the event horizon, time slows down like a motherfucker. it sucks up everything including light. There is a supermassive blackhole in the center of our galaxy as well as most galaxies (maybe not elliptical galaxies i'm not sure about that one).
>>
>>595572274
A black hole? Thats easy. A city in the US called Chicago.
>>
>>595572274
It's a huge amount of matter collapsed under its' own gravity.

As gravity is actually a space deflection, a black hole is our 3-dimensional space extended in 4th dimension towards infinity.
>>
real dense ting
>>
a black whole is simply a massive star in it's last phase of life, it just collapses and creates a super compact mass that has such a strong gravitational field, that not even light can escape from. Fuckin nerds.
>>
>>595573999
additionally think of the black hole - and the universe not expanding - as the opposite of einstein's theory of relativity. if something is traveling faster and time seems to have slowed for them, something traveling slower will seem to have time passing faster for them. you can't expand slower than a fixed point.
>>
>>595573050
it's the opposite. as you get pulled into the black hole, you are moving slower and slower.
>>
>>595574795
opposite of the time dilation, still the same theory. sorry for the confusion
>>
>>595572274

>Bonus points if you can explain how we can time travel through one
You would get stretched infinitely you faggot
You would be a million mile long strand of hair
>>
>>595572274
> what a black hole is

Ferguson, Missouri
>>
>>595572274
a collapsed star where the mass is super condensed.

we can time travel by traveling just outside the event horizon and use that the pick up speed and as we get closer to the speed of light combined with the proximity to the highly dense mass time slows down for the passengers aboard the ship however time everywhere else goes on as normal, therefore we are traveling into the future. you can't travel backwards however.
>>
>>595572274
Depends on what you define as "blach hole", about which metaphycicists argue.
Learning from my teacher, I define a black hole as the core of it, namely the "singularity".

And, since we have exactly zero knowledge of the singularity, describing what a black hole is, in fact, impossible.
>>
>>595572274

A black hole is the leftover matter of a supernova (in which a star of mass over 1.4 times our sun dies). The gravitational pull of this matter is strong to the point that not even light can escape it. The even horizon is described as the point in which this gravitational pull is at it's strongest to not let even the fastest thing in the universe(light) escape. Theoretically, if one of us were to wander near a black holes event horizon, [if we somehow bypassed being put into orbit around it due to its gravitational (starlike) nature].
>>
>>595575867

So what really interests me is what the quantum physical nature or the inside of a back hole is like. Temperatures must be really high when considering apparent condensation of all matter.
>>
Area of space where all the contained matter within is so massive it's gravitational field is strong enough to overcome the ability of light to escape it.

Traveling close enough to the black hole without actually going into it causes you to "warp" into the future (realistically, everything outside seems to be going faster than you are). You can't time travel by going into a black hole.
>>
I'm a physics undergrad. My research has been in high energy cosmic ray physics, and I've never taken a course in which we studied black holes, but here it goes.

A black hole is matter that has been packed so densely that the gravity has become so strong that it is impossible to escape from the black hole once one has passed the event horizon. I don't know exactly what happens to the structure matter that it changes from being matter to being a black hole, I just know a certain amount of energy has to be in a certain space. I think the equation is G/r=m.... or something like that, where r is the radius of the black hole, G is the gravitational constant, and m is the mass in the black hole.

We can travel through space (theoretically) through a black hole, because the gravity of the black hole is so strong that it warps the fabric of space time back onto itself creating a wormhole. I would include a picture showing this, but that would be googling it and is against the rules. We can go through the black hole and out where the space has connected to, somewhere else in our universe.

We can travel through time with gravitational time dilation. Being in the presence of a gravitational field slows down time (your head is older than your feet are, hehe). Since the strength of a gravitational field around a black hole is so strong, by approaching it, we would be slowing time for ourselves quite dramatically. Of course we would have to create some machine such that the gravity didn't destroy us. Submersion in an incompressible liquid might do the trick.

Also, to get near the black hole, I imagine we would orbit it. Once we got near the black hole, our orbit speed would be quite fast, and although I forget the term for it, an increased velocity dilates time as well.

How'd I do?
>>
>>595576266
Theoretically you can, if you somehow managed to be brought to the edge of the event horizon and back, you would have been inside a point in space time in which time behaved in a different manner than when you are away from the event horizon.
>>
>>595572274
A point in space time where gravity is strong because of condensed matter.

We could potentially time travel through a black hole because time is distorted by gravitational fields
>>
>>595572274
A stellar remnant whose escape velocity exceeds C.
>>
>>595576399
The term of speeding up as you get closer to an object in which you orbit is the fundamental theory of the conservation of angular momentum which is that energy only changes form.
>>
File: CsIjeVC.gif (281KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
CsIjeVC.gif
281KB, 500x281px
>>595572274
Black holes are the dying remains of stars that collapsed on themselves. Their gravity is so massive, not even light can escape. We can 'time travel' by getting near one, but not close enough to get sucked in. We will age at a much slower rate due to time passing slower than on earth. 1 year near it is equal to 10 years or so, so you could only age 1 year and say you had a twin, he/she would age 10 years
But im just pulling this outta my ass
>>
File: image.jpg (182KB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
182KB, 1136x640px
A black hole is an endless void that sucks up all and every sort of matter.

Time travel is supposedly possible by becoming small enough to fit through a wormhole which is 9000x smaller than a germ. Suck my cock OP.
>>
>>595576399
I looked it up, the equation is

r=2Gm/(c^2)

It has more terms than I remember...

Also,

>>595575331
You are a moron.
>>
>>595572274
a region of space having a gravitational field so intense that no matter or radiation can escape.
>>
File: 1420133142370.jpg (647KB, 1200x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1420133142370.jpg
647KB, 1200x1920px
Black holes are super dense objects which indent the elastic space-time plane to a point where light can not escape past an event horizon.

Any half educated asshole could tell you that it's impossible to travel safely through a black hole. (That is if you exclude hypotheticals about white holes, which have not been proven to exist).

A wormhole on the other hand would require a sort of exotic matter found on the very edge of an event horizon caused when half the quantum particle is ripped towards a black hole and the other part bounces away. This form of antimatter would be required to counteract the gravitational forces in the wormhole and strengthen the bridge.

This is just one theory which I am partial to. Credit goes to Kip Thorne's Black Holes, White holes, and Worm Holes. A little dated, but still relevant.

And in case you missed it, nonlinear time travel can be done by traveling through a worm hole as the bridge connects two points on the space-time plane.
>>
>>595577145
black holes haven't been proven either
>>
A black hole is the product of a supernova collapsing on itself, a very, VERY dense ball of matter that can absorb light. Reverse time travel is impossible, and forward time travel can only be achieved (at a useful pace) with near-light speeds, but theoretically, time dilation would cause the viewing of both the universe beginning and ending.
>>
Hypothesis:
The apparent condensation of all matter would imply a rapid rise in heat. The fact that objects inside a black hole appear to fall inward towards infinity leads me to believe that they are collapsing towards a certain point in space time. Could this point in space time be the birth of a new universe which results from a big bang - esque event that is caused by the infinite collapse of matter inside a black hole?
>>
Supermassive black holes theorised to be ring shaped, get ship cover in negative matter, fly through ring, wormhole in centre time travel
>>
>>595576916

Yes, the term I couldn't think of is the term for time slowing down as you speed up. I looked around a bit and the best term I could find for it is "Velocity dependent time dilation"
>>
>>595572274

>implying this isn't a question you can answer with a single textbook and mediocre IQ
>>
File: 1406444970554.gif (68KB, 500x293px) Image search: [Google]
1406444970554.gif
68KB, 500x293px
>>595576399
>so strong that it warps the fabric of space time back onto itself

Erm... my english is not perfect so...

I'm quite embarrased, could you explain that to me?
>>
File: 19.jpg (21KB, 307x212px) Image search: [Google]
19.jpg
21KB, 307x212px
Solved
>>
>>595572774
>theory
>proven
>>
>>595576552

Except the only thing that are emitted are rudimentary particles and radiation. Nothing could go in whole and come back out the same way.
>>
>>595577383
>
It is called The Law of the Conservation of Angular Momentum!!!!
>>
>>595577326
Actually they have dumbass, they just haven't been observed yet.
>>
Einstein-Rosen bridge
>>
>>595572681
this, you fucking sperg, learn the fucking difference between memorization and intelligence
>>
>>595572274
A black hole is an object that has so much mass that the escapevelocity is greater than c.

OP, get rekt.
>>
>>595572274
>2015
>still believing in black holes
>>
>>595577579
You picked up a word somewhere. Want a fucking cookie for contributing?
>>
A black hole is the aftermath of when a nigger dies, they devoured everything they could get their hands on during life and also, in death.
>>
>>595577326
Black Holes have been proven to exist because we have observed stars orbit empty spaces. These empty spaces that these stars are orbiting must contain matter since thety have gravitational influece on other stars. This is how black holes have been proven to exist.
We can take a picture of a black hole but you will jsut see empty space since by definition, light cant escape this object.
>>
>>595572274
Only correct answer is:

A black hole is a tiny point in space where a star's mass and gravity has over-powered it's strong-nuclear force, causing the matter in the star to retreat within it's own schwarzschild radius.

If observing Einstein's general relativity, one could theorize that an object of such small size yet such great mass could tear the fabric of space-time, space-time being an interwoven entity that permeates all points in space. To travel through a black hole would require a vessel capable of withstanding the most powerful destructive forces in the universe, or at the very least countering the massive gravity of a black hole with theoretical and undiscovered 'Gravitons'.
>>
>>595577711
not true.

only because speed is a function of time and your statement doesn't make much sense near a black hole.
>>
>>595572274
The Black hole was the nickname for celtics power forward and hall of game Kevin Mchale.
>>
>>595577548
Hmmmm...

But time dilates even when your velocity is linear. So how can the velocity dependent time dilation be conservation of angular momentum?

Do you have an equation that you could show me to help illustrate this? The equation for time dilation has no reference to any angular variables.

t2 = t1 / [ (1- (v^2)/(c^2) )^0.5 ]
>>
Honest answer:
An area of infinite mass with so much gravity that not even light can escape. However, the quasars around the black hole are ironically the brightest things in the universe
>>
>>595578252
Famer*
>>
The matter on a star begins to develop into steel which is heavy so it eventually caves in on itself and when something the size of a planet begins to compress itself, there is a lot of pressure to the point where matter can no longer exist and the force becomes so great that it even pulls light in which makes it appear black.
>>
>>595578379
it doesn't "pull" light in. fuckin a
>>
>>595578334
Kevin Famer? who the fuck is that?
>>
>>595572274
hugely dense place in space with such strong gravity that not even light can get out.
and two you can't, time travel is not possible.
>>
>>595572274
My ex wife.
>>
I honestly do not know, OP but thank you for my new wallpaper!
>>
>>595578509
Or traps it. Same difference really.
>>
>>595578509
yeah, that's the only problem I saw with his post too, good thing you called him on it
>>
>>595578334
Kevin Mchale is a hall of Famer, respect and love him please
>>
File: 51194998.jpg (83KB, 470x427px) Image search: [Google]
51194998.jpg
83KB, 470x427px
>>595577488
:D
>>
>>595577488
>implying theories can't be disproven

i have a theory. my theory is that the sky is actually a giant dildo made out of farts and magical unicorns and it only looks blue because you're a faggot.

its a theory so you can't prove it wrong. by your logic.
>>
File: 1411936227461.jpg (64KB, 451x800px) Image search: [Google]
1411936227461.jpg
64KB, 451x800px
The black hole is my anus. No one has tried to time travel through it yet, but you are welcome to try.
>>
>>595579211
No, he is implying that theories can't be proven, and he is right.
>>
>>595572274
A black hole is the result of the collapse of a high mass star due to it's own gravity once it's hydrogen reserves have depleted.
The result is a gravitational singularity. A super dense object, that due to its extreme density, generates an extremely strong gravitational field, strong enough that nothing, not even light, can escape from past the event horizon.
>>
>>595579211
A theory has to be provable and disprovable, that's part of the requirements.
>>
>>595574188
Where do you get your universe expansion = time from? I'd like to read about that theory
>>
>>595579621
light isn't trying to escape. nothing is trying to escape
>>
>>595579601
You sir, are what we call a McDonalds employee.
>>
God damnit, i wish we still had id's. I can never know if I'm having a conversation with someone, or just answering a bunch of trolls.
>>
>>595578044
god fuck, i ate pictures like these. Heavenly bodies are fucking far apart, they are never this close, ever. Not even the moon is that close, its fucking 30 earth widths away to give yo usome reference. Fuck
>>
>>595575220
dumb shit you do not get stretched like in all the cartoons or whatever. an observer would just see you simply frozen, while you start to fade into nothingness. you know why? cause a black hole is so dense it almost makes a hole in the fabric of space time, thus the person close to it will experience huge time dilation, until time basically stops. after that, no one knows.

>>595572274
people think we could time travel through black holes if they might act as wormholes and transport us to another place in space time, however that is not proven and most likely to be untrue, since black holes destroy everything.
>>
>>595579803
Give me an example of a proven theory, any one at all. Science cannot prove anything. It just indicates that things are not demonstrably false, and that is the best it can do.
>>
>>595579905
also the light would just slowly fade from the person, so they just become black. once passed by the event horizon
>>
>>595579717
i don't really have a link to it other than the theories that describe it. it's the only thing that makes sense with relativity and gravity. the big bang, which caused the expansion in the first place, also is the cause of time. nothing existed before it because we can't talk about a before without time.
>>
>>595572274
You can't time travel through one.
When in close proximity to a massive object, time travels more slowly than if you were further away from a high density object.
Anything with mass distorts space time, this is what creates gravity.
On earth, you experience time more slowly than you would in orbit.
Near a black hole, the effect is more noticeable, because of the higher density of the black hole, compared to Earth. Everything has always been travelling through time. But if you're talking about time travel in the sci-fi sense, you can't. You can just travel through time at different rates.
if you got on a ship, and went in orbit of a black hole, and came back.
Everyone on Earth with stop clocks would say you'd been gone for 10 years, let's say. But the stop clock you took with you, reads a bit less than that, because you've been in a region of space where time passes more slowly.
>>
>>595572274

a black hole is a quantum singularity, a place where the universal laws as we know them no longer apply. The occur when supermassive stars burn through their hydrogen and helium and their internal reactions can no longer resist their incredible gravity causing them to crush a few solar masses into a space smaller than an atom. We cant time travel through one. The end.
>>
>>595579601
dude do you even know what a theory in science is? fgt
>>
>>595580124
No.
>>
thing is, you can't travel through time "through" one. You can sit next to one and time will pass by very quickly out side of the gravity well, but from your perspective time is traveling as it always has.
>>
>>595580124
we'll call this movie "A Most Ridiculous Theory"
>>
>>595572891
time isn't the same anywhere. That's what relativity is all about. Are you retarded?
>>
>>595572274
>Time travel through a black hole
Because you totally wouldn't get spaghettified in there.
>>
>>595579753
Okay, let me reiterate. If you had passed the event horizon of a black hole, and shone a light back out to the event horizon, the light would not pass back out. Does that work for you? Of course light isn't scrambling to get away from the black hole..
>>
>>595580307
Fantastic argument you've made. Your ad hominems are doing a fantastic job of showing me that you know what you're talking about.
>>
>>595580182
Ok, any names of theories to look out for or authors who have written anything of the top of your head? I'm on the hunt for some new reading material. Time is always fascinating because we know so little about it
>>
>>595572891

time isnt universal, the size of molecules is to do with entropy. 10 trillion years from now a single atom of protium will have it's electron orbiting at a distance measured in lightyears
>>
>>595579601
but you have to look at the comment he was replying to. the prior comment was stating that it was disproven, the guy in question said that theories can't be proven as a response, implying that they can also not be disproven. and theories can be proven, but then they are no longer theories. the theory of gravity was proven and now it is a law. the theory of evolution has not been proven but it is accepted as if it were, but its still just a theory.
>>
>>595580345
>>595580469
dickhead research it. blackholes eat light essentially.
>>
>>595580627
but light is traveling the same speed it's just that time is slowed down and the black hole's sphere of influence expands faster than light can travel.

it's the opposite of why we will never be able to see the light at the edge of the universe because it's expanding faster than the light can reach us.
>>
>>595579691
>thats what im getting at
>>
>>595579828
>this

and we need to bring back risk threads! dammit m00tles
>>
/0
>>
>>595580820
Are you sure?
So when stars first formed, the electrons in those atoms were closer together? Would the energy required to ionise a atom still be the same?
>>
>>595579902
It's a saturn-like planet with two hospitable moons. And their in a certain perspective. Learn to art.
>>
Basically, there is a lot of activity on a star which over time causes it to explode and when something the size of a star explodes, there is a ton of combustion and matter cannot escape easily so the matter gets destroyed and becomes energy which mixes in with the light since thats also energy and since the light is no longer pure, it turns dark. Therefore, a black hole. Though its not technically a "hole", though that name from the popularized misconception that it can create a vortex to other places and even time periods.
>>
>>595572274
Interstellars black hole wasnt entirely accurate
>as you approach a black hole time slows down, significantly. Its like traveling 1/2 the distance to the wall, you technically never get there. For your persective you never get into the damn thing time just slows to zero really. Its pretty trippy. on top of that As you approach it you are stretched infinitly due to gravity.
>therefore you can never actually get past the event horiozon.
>>
>>595580825
A theory can never "advance to a law". A theory attempts to explain WHY something happens, a law explains HOW something happens. A law is an equation, a theory is a collection of concepts. The two are fundamentally different.

http://www.notjustatheory.com/
>>
>>595580872

no they dont. Black holes are holes. Some light falls into them, some light is lensed around them, there's even a point inside the event horizon where light that hits at certain angles ORBIT the black hole. Technically black holes arent even perfect black bodies because they also emit light in the form of hawking radiation.
>>
>>595581296
don't bother wasting your time with these silly bastards.
>>
A dense motherfucker with loads'a mass. So much that it sucks in light.

The "time travel" would work because of time dilation: relative to you, the rest of the universe would speed by. Not sure of it's been disproven yet, but afaik most people think it would be impossible. (Not to mention impractical.)
>>
>>595579902
Shut the fuck up faggot
>>
>>595581296
so what happens when you prove a theory to be correct? hmm?
>>
>>595581259
>"combustion"
>mfw :D
>just mix it with a star of ice amirite?
>>
File: 41d.png (90KB, 482x315px) Image search: [Google]
41d.png
90KB, 482x315px
>>595581296
>Arguing this hard about semantics.
You can't be THIS DENSE.
>>
>>595581357

this is all unproven.
>>
>>595580872
They attract anything, light included.
That doesn't mean light "fades" from an object.
It's not like light is an intrinsic property of an object, like colour, or texture. It's just reflected waves.. If you were travelling towards a black hole, passed the event horizon and carried on falling, while holding a light on your hand, you wouldn't notice a difference. Your hand would still be illuminated.
It's not black holes are dementors that steal the light from objects..
>>
>>595581180

in 13.7 billion years there hasnt been enough time for much change to take place. The hubble ultra deep field shows that mere millions of years after the big bang took place there were galaxies that look almost identical to modern galaxies. The universe is a newborn baby, the doctor hasnt even spanked it in terms of it's lifespan, it's going to be several trillion years before heat death occurs.
>>
>>595580105
Higgs boson, relativity, the standard model.

You are confusing statistical inference with theoretical frameworks. Math and Logic both prove things every day.
>>
>>595580683
a theory in science isn't just a hypothesis. it's taken basically on the same grounds as a law. it is able to be disproven, however if it has not been done so at this present moment then it is deemed 'truth'. although, that goes for science in general because nothing is truly objective.
>>
>>595581667

it's the best model we have to explain the data we've observed. Welcome to science 101. There is no Proof with a capital P in science, just theories that explain the data that are falsifiable and havent been falsified yet.
>>
>>595581727
Math is truly objective. Also, spouting popular misinformation is anathema to wisdom.
>>
File: 1299046433250.jpg (2MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1299046433250.jpg
2MB, 1920x1200px
We are in a black hole. The big bang was the creation of a black hole in another universe.
>>
>>595581581
I think he's trying to make the point that theories are never proven 100% correct, they just become closer approximations of the underlying physical laws they try to explain
>>
>>595572274

>Definition

Difficult to define in depth in such a broad context. There are different types of blackholes.

A general definition would be a highly compact region of space time possessing only three properties: mass, spin, and charge...You could also call it a singularity or a region of space time in which all future light cones generally point inwards towards a singularity.

Anons usually throw around pop Sci words like schwarzschild radius with no idea of what they mean. But it's a simple enough basic concept. The details is where the interesting things come about.

> time travel
Time travel depends on certain stances as well as the specifics of the black hole. Further more there are different concepts of time travel to consider.

But that's enough for now as I'm done taking a shit.
>>
>>595581701
Thanks for the insight, never tried to contemplate the time scale before "heat death" would occur, didn't even know it was called that.
>>
File: ICantTakeThis.jpg (12KB, 194x204px) Image search: [Google]
ICantTakeThis.jpg
12KB, 194x204px
>>595581928
Jaden? Is that you?
>>
After a supernova the leftover core of a star can become that shit cause that gravity too strong and the star collapses. Black hole is a point of singularity, light cant escape. According to Interstellar, you go through that shit and you become a ghost. Lel. Where do you go when you get sucked into it? idk. How do you time travel with it? Gravity so strong it bends space time and thus time can be "accelerated."
>>
>>595581928

that's a bold claim, got any evidence for that? Also that doesnt explain where that other universe came from. A black hole in another universe?
>>
a black hole is mass that has become so dense the forces causing expansion no longer have an affect on it.
>>
>>595581963
Heat death will not occur. It is one of the largely accepted theories, but it has been proven to be unlikely. The universe is expanding at a rate that is too fast for gravity to slow enough to reverse, and if that never happens, it will continue to expand.
>>
>>595581291
Lacking specifics. What you say isn't entirely true. It depends on the specifics of the properties of the black hole as well as the stances taken on the impacts of those conditions.
>>
>>595582195
A star either goes supernova or turns into a black hole when it dies. White dwarfs, or neutrons stars, pulsars, magnetars etc are what's left after a superova.
>>
>>595581905

hawking radiation has never been observed
what happens beyond the event horizon has not been observed.

don't compare things that are accepted with wildly speculative mathfag fantasies.
>>
>>595581963

there will be trillions of years where the only objects in the universe are black holes all slowly bleeding mass through hawking radiation, so far apart that they never interact on any real level. Then, eventually, all that will be left is elementary particles all spaces equidistantly with zero energy of any kind. Perfect entropy, a cold and black universe with nothing happening in it, forever. The universe will spend most of it's life on the slow decline to senility before finally dying, cold and alone. Happy birthday, kids!
>>
the force of a black hole would rip anything to shreds, go fap to your shitty movie some more you fat neckbeard !
>>
>>595582666
there is no "beyond" the event horizon. you would never reach it
>>
>>595581625
What are you talking about you idiot? I just finished explaining that a star explodes. How the fuck is ice supposed to explode? Did you even take environmental science?
>>
>>595582547
Is that not what heat death is?
The universe will continue to expand, until the energy density will become so low, that nothing ever really happens? And all the hydrogen is fused, so no new stars form..
>>
>>595581198
i am an artist you fuck face, its not perspective its just a bad fucking drawing.
>>
>>595582547

that's what heat death is, friend. The total loss of all heat in the universe because it continues to expand. It's the most probable outcome given the data we have showing the universal expansion is accelerating.
>>
File: 118549658529.jpg (109KB, 750x600px) Image search: [Google]
118549658529.jpg
109KB, 750x600px
>>595582255
It makes sense to me. But this is coming from a guy that thinks suns are sentient in their own way. Energy beings that we cannot understand. Like a human and ant trying to communicate.

I will die without ever knowing the answer, and that's OK. At least my atoms will reform into other things. We are all immortal.
>>
>>595582799
See
>>595582555
>>
>>595582353
Even moderate amounts of gravity does this.
>>
>>595574970
To someone on the outside viewing you.
You'd see time flowing normally.

Time is relative.
>>
>>595582666

I didnt say it was true, I said it was the best model we have to fit the data. Hawking radiation was observed in 2010, friend. What's your alternative theory that's more believable and has more evidence than hawking radiation, bud?
>>
>>595582799
False. There is still space inside the event horizon's sphere.
The event horizon is just a sphere shaped area in space. Once you pass it, nothing different happens, it just means, you or anything you project, light included won't ever be able to go further away from the black hole than the scwarzchild radius (the event horizon)
>>
its a hyper dense mass where the atoms dont quite touch but are at whats called planke density which is the closest two atoms can get before they touch

SOME PEOPLE believe that you can time travel with them or that they are portals to another universe or some shit but in reality its just gonna suck you in and compress your ass you dumb ass faggot

OP IS A FAGGOT
>>
>>595583013
that's the whole point of an event horizon though. so maybe some black holes don't have one, i guess that's possible, but if it does there is no beyond it.
>>
>>595582801
>Combustion is a chemical process in which a substance reacts rapidly with oxygen
>Oxygen in space
>Calls me an idiot
> mfw :))))))))
>>
>>595581706
Yes, you can prove things through math and logic. The reason that a theory cannot be proven is because there is a gap between our observations and the math that we apply to it.

One example you gave is relativity, I'll address that one as it is the one I am most familiar with.

You can get in a plane and fly around the earth and observe time dilation. You can watch an eclipse and see that the path of the stars is shifted by the gravity of the sun. And we can build our theories on that, but you cannot prove 100% the reason we observe that to happen.

I don't claim to be an expert, but I believe that once you get into particle interactions and start working with Feynman diagrams, you find that the theory of relativity is not complete.
>>
>>595581357
>>595581668
a black holes gravitational pull is so strong that even light can't escape. if you were watching someone fall into a black hole, you would see them getting close and close to the event horizon south out them ever crossing it. as this happens, the light will be redshifted and the person will appear dimmer and redder until they just freeze.
>>
>>595582988

so you're high as shit and have no idea what you're talking about but you dont feel the need to justify anything you think other than "sounds good to me". Congratulations, you're a young earth creationist!
>>
>>595572274
A black hole is a singularity with a mass that is so large that light cannot escape it's gravitational well. The event horizon is the point where light is still visible and anything close falls into the black hole which is why we see no light at the center.
As for time travel it's up for debate but I would imagine that it creates a hole through space that functions as a tunnel from one end of space to another. Hard to say though
>>
>>595583339
there is some oxygen in space, but stars don't combust because they are almost entirely helium and hydrogen. you can't burn hydrogen with helium, so it fuses into more helium
>>
>>595582801
>Did you even take environmental science?

Fantastic. Lol'd
>>
QUESTION:

I'm aware that there's the photosphere around a black hole, but can light come closer to the black hole than the radius of the photosphere?
How is light incorporated into the black hole itself, is the singularity just a mix of matter and energy, or do the two amalgamate into the same thing? -Mass/energy equivalence..
>>
>>595583339

you realize that one of the last things created in the stellar core before a star dies is oxygen, right?
>>
>>595583272
i thought you meant beyond the singularity. beyond the event horizon, things will look and act the same as right outside it.

>>595583257
no one outside would be able to witness you if you were beyond the event horizon. that's why it's called black jackass.
>>
>>595583338
See
>>595583272
but more generally ignore the radius concept mentioned as that's more specific to the type of black hole. Some black holes aren't defined with this type of radius.
>>
A black hole is a negress's pussy.
/thread
>>
>>595583534
I am well aware of that....
That was my point....
That stars don't combust....
>>
>>595583339
>a star
>the same as space
how do you explain stars literally,on fire when fire needs oxygen hmmm?
rektm8 :)
>>
File: dicapiro feels good.jpg (32KB, 716x724px) Image search: [Google]
dicapiro feels good.jpg
32KB, 716x724px
>>595583515
Approved
>>
You can't travel through time faggot. Time slows down to almost stop at the border of singularity
>>
File: anon.jpg (83KB, 634x422px) Image search: [Google]
anon.jpg
83KB, 634x422px
>>595583303
>watch intersteller
>learn black holes are full of interdimensional space niggers
>mfw
>>
File: images.jpg (3KB, 215x234px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
3KB, 215x234px
so much mass compact together not even light can escape, its a dead star collapsing on its self it will get bigger and bigger while time goes PS there is an opposite of a black hole.
gotta love space
>>
>>595572274
A black hole can be described with reasonable certainty. All conjecture regarding time travel is exactly that.
>>
>>595582666
Nothing changes to you inside the event horizon. You must be thinking of something else.
>>
>>595583849
nuclear fusion
>>
>>595576399
IMPLYING A BLACK HOLE CANT COMPRESS UNCOMPRESSABLE LIQUID, IT LITERALY STRIPS ELECTRONS FROM ATTOMS AND DISMANTLES THE STRUCTURE OF EVERYTHING. PLEB.
>>
This is a fantastic thread, Thank you OP
>>
>>595572274

einstein's physics sort of predicted their existence

big talk-talk in the 1970s, some astronomers serious about it, sort of ostracised by their fellows, but made big headway in science fantasy

then we discovered proof of them, more physics, then we're finding them everywhere and at the cores of every galaxy--'seyfert' galaxies were identical to quasars which were identical to 'feeding' supermassive black holes at galactic cores

when supermassive stars self-destruct, they go supernova, blowing their outer layers apart while the core implodes, the gravity ratcheting up and pulling the core into a singularity, where not even light can escape

whether or not it's an actual 'wormhole', we don't know yet

stephen hawking's mish-mash of physics on the phenomenon have been entirely discredited

according to the boys who go into multi-dimensional tantra over 'branes or string theories, sub-atomic black holes form and vanish with microseconds all over the place, so we're largely talking about stellar or supermassive black holes
>>
>>595583897
Ugh....
>>
>>595583849
I DUNNO WHY DONT YOU TRY AND MIX IT WITH A STAR OF ICE AND FIND OUT??!?!?!?!
>>
>>595584116
I'm not suggesting that we go INTO the black hole. There is certainly a radius in which being submerged in water would reduce your spaghettification, and would allow you to get close.
>>
>>595583612
You can't honestly be this stupid. Stars radiate energy through nuclear fusion. Larger stars generate smaller wavelengths and thus more energy. You can tell which stars radiate more energy (Blue end is high energy but don't last long, red is low energy but last for millions of years) This also explains why you see mostly red stars looking into the sky.
>>
>>595583703
Right, there's no "inside" a singularity..
>>
File: image.jpg (37KB, 350x286px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37KB, 350x286px
A black hole is a point in space of infinite density which converges at a singularity. Because it has so much gravity it not only can stop light from escaping ( that point is called the event horizon) it can also bend time itself. So if you were to orbit a black hole close to it, the time closer to the black hole is slower than the time further away so if you stay there long enough you would have travelled in time.
>>
>>595584327
but that's what nearly every god damned sci-fi movie makes out, that you can somehow travel through super dense matter.
>>
>>595584297

yes and just before a star dies it fuses heavier elements such as oxygen and carbon, all the way up to iron.
>>
>>595583352
What on earth do you do for a living?
>>
>>595583849
It's not on fire, it's fusing. It's a plasma. The energy released is not from breaking chemical bonds like when burning something, it's released from nuclear bonds..
>>
>>595581701
or cold death if the universe just expands forever because there isn't enough gravity from dark matter to cause the "big crunch".
>>
A black hole is a singularity of infinite mass and density. The blackness that allows us to identify a black hole is due to the gravity well it creates that is so steep light cannot escape after crossing a certain point known as the event horizon. I could keep going on about this but the idea behind time travel is that the mathematical equations that describe a black hole can be reversed, this in theory would create an area in space in which mass cannot exists (ie. it spits everything out). It has been dubbed a white hole. Now if a black hole is charged (most of them probably are) it will be spinning or orbiting a small space that theoretically could be a tear in space which connects with that black holes specific counterpart white hole which could exist at any moment in time and would only exist at that moment in time and no other.
Three cosmetology classes in college and 2 research papers specifically on black holes.
Now I will explain why, though theoretically possible humans will never be able to do it. One even if you could somehow survive the gravity well and get into the wormhole, the size of the wormhole would be less than the size of the black hole itself and would be filled with enough radiation to make a supernova look like a pussy. More likely would be the use of black holes to travel over great distances very quickly.
>>
>>595583267
>Hawking radiation was observed in 2010

no it wasn't
>>
>>595584489

>better drive this big black dildo through the core of the planet Earth!
>>
>>595577691
Intellect and inteligence are actually the summarization of knowledgable things ie you need to know things by learnig them, not by a logical conclusion.
>>
2MGoverCsquared
>>
>>595584116
>IT LITERALY STRIPS ELECTRONS FROM ATTOMS
Dude, old TV's do that..
>>
>>595584716

heat death IS cold death. Heat death is the achievement of total universal equilibrium. Zero heat, zero energy of any kind.
>>
>>595584966
Thought so.
>>
File: 1392264480-thecore-o.jpg (60KB, 544x315px) Image search: [Google]
1392264480-thecore-o.jpg
60KB, 544x315px
>>595584833
>>
>>595572274
A black hole is a point in space with so much gravitational force it pulls anything around it into is self and traps it. Not even light can escape it's gravitational force.
>>
>>595585091
inb4 urmomsdildo
>>
did you know black holes are worm holes
>>
File: notredame.jpg (231KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
notredame.jpg
231KB, 1920x1080px
A black hole is a single point in space, where matter is so dense that it forms a singularity. The gravity produced by this singularity is so intense, that not even light cannot escape it. Hence the name "black hole". We are only able to detect the black holes by how the gravity affects the light of other objects.

We can time travel with black holes with something called time dilation. Time and space are one. Therefore, the gravity that we see affect space must in turn affect time. So it theory, if gravity is intense enough, we should be able to go forward in time.
>>
>>595574188
What

Photons are pulled in, gravity is too high. No need to involve time in this
>>
>>595584285

genetic engineering is the key. You ever wake up with one of those morning wood diamond cutters? They're incompressible as fuck. We need to engineer a race of dickmen who get aroused by black holes.
>>
>>595584966
no, heat death is the big crunch, gravity causing galaxies and stars and all the matter in the universe to crunch back into a singularity the way it was before the big bang. So much shit smashing together causing extreme heat and radiation before disappearing into an apparent nothingness. Cold death is the universe expanding forever and stars eventually fading out due to using up all their fuel, but things being so far apart that nothing new can form from the expulsions. Eventually with the lack of new stars and light being generated in the universe, the overall temperature approaches and possibly achieves absolute zero kelvin. That's the difference, and it all depends on how much dark matter actually exists in the universe. Do your homework.
>>
>>595585328
No, they're not.
4/10 bait.
>>
>>595572274
mass of dense star (white dwarf I think) creates gravitational pull that exceeds what the (fusion I think) reactions inside of the star can push out (no google means no technical terms for me). matter of star is pulled in, making a really dense bit of matter with gravity so strong that even light is pulled in.

please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't like being wrong.
>>
>>595585425

but yes there is though. If the photons dont have time to fall in they wont fall in.
>>
suns and planets operate the same as a black hole, just in a much lower level. the density of the sun creates an area that is causing expansion to be slightly less than the surrounding space. when you travel fast enough to escape this affect, you are then in an area of space expanding faster than the gravity of the sun you escaped from allows, which is why time seems to flow differently.
>>
>>595572774
its hard to travel through an infinite point
>>
damn.. idk but sound about right
>>
>>595585440

>dickmen who get aroused by black holes

that's just black guys

>NASA launches worldwide manhunt for black astronauts to undergo mission to black hole
>>
>>595585600
yeah exactly. there is no pulled in because time is stopped essentially. everything will look normal and the same as when the black hole formed.
>>
>>595585446

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_death_of_the_universe

http://www.spaceanswers.com/deep-space/what-is-heat-death/

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/591572/thermodynamics/258547/Entropy-and-heat-death

educate yourself instead of wallowing in your ignorance, friend :^)
>>
>>595585446
>>595585980

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_burn_centers_in_the_United_States
>>
File: 1403124386366s.jpg (9KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1403124386366s.jpg
9KB, 250x250px
>>595572948
there are 4 dimentions x,y,z, and time
this is why cosmolgists call it spacetime
the reason we treat these as the same thing is because we know that energy bends time and since
E=MC^2
as the mass increases the energy increases
therefore mass is also capable of bending time.
we know this is true because it is shown that no matter where you are or how fast you are going two observers will always measure the same speed of light.
>>
>>595572948
Einstein disproves you
>>
>>595581259
This is the most idiotic expansion of a black hole I've ever seen. Jesus fucking christ.
>>
>>595572819
i see you
A.) googled it
B.)remembered what they told you in grade 3
or C.) are a lazy fgt
>>
>>595572948
technically you would be time traveling because the area around the singularity is exactly as it was when the black hole first formed, which could be a long time ago. but once you go away from it again, if you could, you'd be traveling right back to the "future" of the space around the black hole as it expanded culminating in you being in the present again, minus the time the black hole expanded which would of course correspond, relatively, to the time you spent beyond the event horizon.
>>
A singularity - A one dimensional point of infinitesimal space/time curvature. The area contained with in the schwartzchild radius in unable to directly observed as all matter and light is pull towards the singularity.
>>
>>595581259
What the fuck. This is not at all anything like how anything you mentioned works..
>>
File: 1413334716138.jpg (21KB, 640x550px) Image search: [Google]
1413334716138.jpg
21KB, 640x550px
a black hole in broad terms is a body in space whose escape velocity is equal to or greater than the speed of light therefore it may not emit any light at all however stephen hawking proved that the pairs of virtual particles do split next to the black hole and emit some radiation so black holes are technically not really black. they do emit some light
>>
>>595585980
m'kay so i got one term wrong, heat death meaning equilibrium but it is NOT the same as cold death as stated before. They are two very different theories on the end of the universe, among many others. I acknowledge my ignorance on the meaning of the one term but my point remains that they are not the same.
>>
>>595587497
>>595585980
from http://www.quora.com/What-does-Heat-death-of-the-Universe-mean

roughly halfway down the page.

This concept is quite different from what is commonly referred to as 'cold death.' 'Cold death' is when the universe continues to expand forever. Because of this expansion, the universe continues to cool down. Eventually, the universe will be too cold to support any life, it will end in a whimper. The opposite of 'cold death,' as you can see, is NOT 'heat death,' but actually the 'big crunch.' The 'big crunch' occurs when the universe has enough matter density to contract back on itself, eventually shrinking to a point. This shrinking will cause the temperature to rise, resulting in a very hot end of the universe.

or to use your precious wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_of_an_expanding_universe

totally not heat death, of course, heat death is not the big crunch as i previously stated, and admit I am wrong for.
>>
>>595587497

yes, you judged a stranger for being wrong about something that you yourself were wrong about. Check your facts next time. Heat death is the most likely end to our universe, the only way it could be circumvented now is by the "big rip" being found to be true or the current accelerating expansion our universe is undergoing being found to be transitory like the initial inflation event that took place 10^-36 seconds after the big bang.
>>
>>595583703
I never said anything about going past the event horizon.
>>
>>595588176
i judged a stranger for being wrong WHILE being mistaken myself yes. Though my facts on definitions was wrong, my point was not. They stated that heat death and cold death were the same, they are not.
>>
>>595588330
it would be no different to you beyond the event horizon. there isn't any special effects involved. additionally, a person watching from outside would never see you enter it. but once beyond, to you, nothing wold look much different. it isn't all of a sudden going to be black around you or anything.
>>
File: BigBang=BirthofABlackHole.jpg (28KB, 733x550px) Image search: [Google]
BigBang=BirthofABlackHole.jpg
28KB, 733x550px
If a black hole was capable of inter-dimensional time travel, wouldn't there need to be a counterpart? Couldn't one argue that the center of our universe is the remains of a "white hole", a point in space which repels everything in the universe?
>>
>>595588750
it isn't capable of anything, so no
>>
>>595588750

>centre

there is no centre of the universe. The universe isnt expanding from a centre outwards, the distance between each point in the universe is increasing. The universe isnt blasting apart it's inflating.
>>
>>595588750
it's a fucking dense bit of matter, it's not really a hole in that sense.
>>
Ultimately, EVERYTHING we speculate on is just a theory, with very few proven facts. Arguing about it, while healthy for mental growth, should not result in a heated, temper flaring debate.
>>
>>595589003
Wherever you are, you're in the centre of the OBSERVABLE universe.
>>
>>595589003
there is a center, it's just not in linear space. it's like the old balloon example. even though the surface of the balloon has no center, there is a center of the balloon around which it's all expanding.
>>
File: th.jpg (10KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
10KB, 300x200px
Big Black hole right there....
>>
>>595589382
in the case of the universe it's a function of time of course and not just space, like the balloon is a function of depth not just length and width.
>>
Theoretically if you can calculate the correct trajectory, with enough force, you can circle a black hole and will indeed travel forward into time. Of course this is only in theory, it will probably be another hundred years before we can actually send a probe to one to get enough data to figure out it's not possible.
>>
>>595580820
uh, only if the constant for the electromagnetic force dramatically changes. there isn't any evidence that that will happen even on a very long timeline
>>
>>595584749
>cosmetology
before a shitstorm comes through and everyone calls you a downy, I know what you meant.
>>
>>595585389
Nothing special about black holes and time dilation, aside from the severity. We're all experiencing time dilation now on Earth. Just a clarification.

Also black holes are all 'trying' to evaporate, via Hawking radiation. What has been stopping them has been the CMB, radiation that permeates all space. It's hotter than the black hole, thus a net gain in the black hole's mass.
>>
>>595583515
This anon has it
>>
>>595590038
you can travel "forward" in time just by going fast enough to escape gravity. no trick there.

since time technically doesn't exist, like distance, we can only talk about it in terms of two points.
>>
>>595572274
An ultra-dense gravity sink.
>>
>>595581259
as you approach a black hole's event horizon, in your frame of reference everything is normal except all the stars around you get massively blueshifted. you pass the event horizon without even noticing.

to an outside observer, you appear to slow down and are redshifted and more redshifted until your image eventually fades away. so an outside observer cannot witness you crossing the event horizon, even though you're happily cruising through until you become spaghetti.
>>
An object of "infinite" mass that draws-in other masses cause of it
>>
>>595591309
whoops, wrong quote. i meant to quote >>595581291
Thread posts: 256
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.